The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Question [3.5] Monstrous Lycanthrope

I asked this in the RAW thread, but it was possibly outside of its scope:

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 080

Hopefully not too far outside the bounds of this thread...is there any Lycnathrope (or similar) template that can be applied to a Monstrous Humanoid? Preferably without having to jump through hoops like Human Heritage on the base creature.
    ...so, what are my options?

For a NPC/monster build, so LA doesn't really matter.

Also, I would rather not Rule 0 it - I like my encounters to be as RAW as possible.

Cheers - T

Saying that someone reading RAW differently than you is "home brewing or house ruling, but that's fine" doesn't make you right, it just makes you seem pompous.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Monstrous Lycanthrope

I don't remember what the typing is, but MM has lycan slapped on a hill giant. They aren't humanoid, right? I'm afb or is have a better answer.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

The easiest way is to add the Half-Troll template from Fiend Folio. It changes the type to Giant, which makes it legal for a lycanthrope.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    I don't remember what the typing is, but MM has lycan slapped on a hill giant. They aren't humanoid, right? I'm afb or is have a better answer.
    Requires Humanoid or Giant.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Requires Humanoid or Giant.
    Totally forgot giant is a type. Go me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Is there a specific creature you were going to apply the template to? It might be easier to mimic it with a unique monster or something other than lycanthrope, like Divine Minion.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [3.5] Monstrous Lycanthrope

Quote Originally Posted by ranagrande View Post
    The easiest way is to add the Half-Troll template from Fiend Folio. It changes the type to Giant, which makes it legal for a lycanthrope.
    Good idea. The CR increase sucks, but it's workable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Is there a specific creature you were going to apply the template to? It might be easier to mimic it with a unique monster or something other than lycanthrope, like Divine Minion.
    Maybe for Tibbit, Goatfolk or Lupin? But MH in general would be good to know.

Saying that someone reading RAW differently than you is "home brewing or house ruling, but that's fine" doesn't make you right, it just makes you seem pompous.

8. - Top - End - #8

I know you dont want to rule 0 it but I always thought that was a silly rule. I see no good reason that template shouldnt be able to be applied to anything except like constructs and oozes and maybe vermin.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    I know you dont want to rule 0 it but I always thought that was a silly rule. I see no good reason that template shouldnt be able to be applied to anything except like constructs and oozes and maybe vermin.
    Anything? Even animals?

We fought dragons. We fought aberrant monsters. We even fought the lords of Hell, itself. But the one thing we could not fight, the one horrific creature that made us flee in terror was the Bear Were-Bear!
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

10. - Top - End - #10

I made a homebrew lycanthrope template that could be applied to humanoids, monstrous humanoids, giants, and native outsiders. A lot easier to apply than core's bizarre lycanthrope rules.

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=403038#403038
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

11. - Top - End - #11

This is sorta a hoop, but less I think than Human Heritage. Half-Troll, the template makes anything a Giant. Then you can apply Lycanthrope.
    Last edited by Wristlet Eater; 2017-08-02 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Someone mentioned it already

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I would just take the "Humanoid or giant" and replace it with "Any creature humanoid in shape"
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    I made a homebrew lycanthrope template that could be applied to humanoids, monstrous humanoids, giants, and native outsiders. A lot easier to apply than core's bizarre lycanthrope rules.

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=403038#403038
    Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    I would just take the "Humanoid or giant" and replace it with "Any creature humanoid in shape"
    Is everyone forgetting the part where he wanted it to be RAW? Because all the homebrew suggestions are not RAW at all.
    Last edited by Wristlet Eater; 2017-08-02 at 09:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Wristlet Eater View Post
    Is everyone forgetting the part where he wanted it to be RAW? Because all the homebrew suggestions are not RAW at all.
    I mentioned it in my comment. I was just giving my opinion on the RAW lycanthrope not really giving a suggestion, persay.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

That would allow undead and constructs though.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    I mentioned it in my comment. I was just giving my opinion on the RAW lycanthrope not really giving a suggestion, persay.
    I guess that is true. Still it is weird how OP says RAW and people are suggesting homebrew.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    how about any adding any living creature?
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon

18. - Top - End - #18

Not really a problem since type is not changed by Lycanthrope. It would just be a undead or construct that can become an animal, which there already is with vampires, in the case of undead.

Constructs don't really have anything like that but I guess it would be kind of like a Transformer that becomes an animal. It is weird but this is D&D.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

I tend to ignore rules that make no sense to me or get in the way of my creation. If I wanna make a monstrous humanoid a werewolf then it's gonna be a werewolf. As the DM the rules are mine to break. Just as long as I'm cognizant of what I'm making and keep it balanced for the party.
    THAT'S WHY YOU DON'T BRING A GEETAR TO A DUNGEON CRAWL!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Anything? Even animals?

We fought dragons. We fought aberrant monsters. We even fought the lords of Hell, itself. But the one thing we could not fight, the one horrific creature that made us flee in terror was the Bear Were-Bear!
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon. Land or sea, you gawn get bit.

That's a bit silly, but a bear warrior/sentinel of bharrai/primeval can become a triple bear. Polymorph into a bear, bear warrior polymorph into a bear for strength bonuses, then do it again with primeval. Could you imagine an awakened bear werebear in hybrid form beartotem barbarian/ sentinel of bharrai/primeval/bear warrior? That's quintuple bear! Bear^5!

(You can also do berserk 3 and become a sextuple bear, but you only get +2 str and con)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Gary View Post
    how about any adding any living creature?
    I thought that part would be implied by the fact that lycanthropy is transmitted via disease, and undead/constructs aren't susceptible to disease due to their lack of con score.

It's less homebrew than houserule, but he said "As RAW as possible". Suggesting a minor houserule still keeps it mostly RAW, and without resorting to unecessary template stacking, there is no answer in RAW.

Libris mortis introduced the monstrous vampire, why not just houserule a monstrous lycanthrope too, after all, the trope is werewolves vs vampires, why not give them the same toys.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.

Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

can I sig? this is pure gold
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.

23. - Top - End - #23

Bear^5
    You mean BearX5. What you said is Bear to the power of five, which is different.

Also, you can do this as an Anthropomorphic Bear.

I thought that part would be implied by the fact that lycanthropy is transmitted via disease, and undead/constructs aren't susceptible to disease due to their lack of con score.
    It can be inherited too, though.

It's less homebrew than houserule, but he said "As RAW as possible". Suggesting a minor houserule still keeps it mostly RAW, and without resorting to unecessary template stacking, there is no answer in RAW.
    Something is either RAW or not RAW. What you suggested is not RAW, and that is not what the OP wants.

Libris mortis introduced the monstrous vampire, why not just houserule a monstrous lycanthrope too, after all, the trope is werewolves vs vampires, why not give them the same toys.
    Just because they are adversaries doesn't mean every aspect of their existence has to be a carbon copy of the other one. They can be different. And monstrous vampires were actually introduced in Ghostwalk.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

It can be inherited too, though.
    Yeah, it's inherited from, at some point in it's ancestry, an afflicted lycanthrope. So how does a construct have afflicted lycanthrope parents? Undead lycanthropes are already technically possible anyway as long as you become a lycanthrope first, then become an undead, but not the other way around, so that's honestly irrelevant anyway.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: [3.5] Monstrous Lycanthrope

So it appears besides Rule 0/homebrew, my best options are Half-troll or Human Heritage (where it can be applied)?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

How about the Tauric Creature template? If base humanoid have Lycanthropy, he's still legal...
    (Also, any other template which change type from Humanoid to Monstrous Humanoid)

27. - Top - End - #27

Yeah, it's inherited from, at some point in it's ancestry, an afflicted lycanthrope. So how does a construct have afflicted lycanthrope parents?
    Well, don't know about the parents, but a construct could get it if he had Greater Humanoid Essence cast on him.

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    How about the Tauric Creature template? If base humanoid have Lycanthropy, he's still legal...
    (Also, any other template which change type from Humanoid to Monstrous Humanoid)
    I think there is an existing Monstrous Humanoid he wants to put the template on.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

How about Monstruous Lycanthrope from Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary?

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Tamorlin View Post
    How about Monstruous Lycanthrope from Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary?
    That is 3rd party though.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I think there is an existing Monstrous Humanoid he wants to put the template on.
    Then how about the Polymorph spell? Turn into Humanoid (or Giant), infect, spell wears off, infection stays...