New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1088 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeggarDwarf View Post
    Is anyone else getting the feeling that they almost know what Durkon's going for, but then the idea reverts to mist-form and slinks off to the sarcophagus?

Has the comic explicitly stated that Darkon is CE (I seem to remember that being the default alignment for a vampire)? Or Hel, for that matter, though I would guess she's NE? I wonder if that might be part of the issues the vampire spirit is having. The experiences that make a LG person aren't going to make a CE as well. Darkon can't learn Durkon's lessons, and the main one he seems to misunderstand are the ones associated with family. Or I'm just rambling and sleep-deprived.

Side-note: I have no idea whether or not Mr. Burlew had it in his mind or not when he was writing, but the way he handles the relationship between the mortal host and the vampire goes a long way towards explaining why Dracula made so many mistakes in his own family history.
    HPoH called a (Lawful, presumably) devil, albeit whilst still a thrall, so that points towards him being LE.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Fair point. I'd forgotten that. He could still be NE, I suppose; I'd accept an argument for either way, based on his behavior.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Keep in mind that if Durkon is going to successfully pull something on the vampires, it's not going to be just yet (with Roy and co. nowhere nearby.) So it's more likely that this is just setting things up for later by establishing what the rules of this memory-thing are.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    HPoH called a (Lawful, presumably) devil, albeit whilst still a thrall, so that points towards him being LE.
    True but, as you said, he was still a Thrall, so he may have been taking from Malack's Alignment.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    To be fair, he might have remembered it if he wasn't grasping at straw to find a way to stop the vampire due to frustration and fear for his friends, along with him having faith that Thor could help him.

Having a dark spirit parasyting his mind might also not have helped, too. But the memory of said agreement showed up when asked for.
    I mean, a lot of things could have happened, but they didn't. Durkon obviously had the memory in there, so he learned it at some point, but he wasn't able to recall the necessary information on his own, which I'd expect someone with good ranks in Knowledge: Religion to do, which is what we were talking about in the first place.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chei View Post
    Unfortunately, it seems like the positivity itself doesn't affect the vampire. However, the vampire learns less from positive memories, it seems, because he doesn't understand positive relationships very well. Durkon learned much earlier in the book that the vampire is not guaranteed to learn what Durkon himself learned from his own memories. He's been slowly using that to his advantage.
    To throw out a hypothetical example, wet behind the ears vampires like Greg probably have great difficult distinguishing between "this dwarf in Durkon's life is stupid" and "this dwarf is strongly motivated to help family".

7. - Top - End - #97
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Vampires, being made of negative energy, are always Evil, but the SRD doesn't specify whether they keep the victim's ethical alignment. The Alignment section of their description says "Always Evil (Any.)" but, on the other hand, their intro says "A vampire uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here." So..It's not really clear i'd personally go with yes, but i'm not sure.
    Always CE vampires was a thing in pre-3.5 editions of D&D - but 3.5 removed it. Vampire spawn still retain it though.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #98

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    True but, as you said, he was still a Thrall, so he may have been taking from Malack's Alignment.
    I'm pretty sure thralls don't work that way. They may be compelled to follow the instructions of their sire, but there isn't any other instance I know of in D&D where simply controlling another character makes them change alignment, so I doubt it does that for thralls either.

Also, I don't think there's any guarantee Malack was LE? I had him pegged more as NE.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm pretty sure thralls don't work that way. They may be compelled to follow the instructions of their sire, but there isn't any other instance I know of in D&D where simply controlling another character makes them change alignment, so I doubt it does that for thralls either.

Also, I don't think there's any guarantee Malack was LE? I had him pegged more as NE.
    Rich has explicitly pegged him as Lawful:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This is a baffling assertion. Malack had free will. He was an Evil person, in the same way that Redcloak is an Evil person. If he was slavishly loyal to Nergal, that was because he was a cleric, not because he was a vampire. He chose to be devoted to something larger than himself when he could have just rampaged around the continent draining people. Everything he did, every action you saw him take, was his own decision. Nothing about the metaphysics of how vampirism works changes anything. Even in the scenarios you would have preferred, if Nergal gave him a direct order, he still would have been obligated to follow it as a high-level Lawful priest. The end result is all the same. You're inserting your own biases and assumptions, mostly culled from a 20-year-old television show, into the situation.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

tongue Re: OOTS #1088 - The Discussion Thread

First Page!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chillmynaga View Post
    First Page!
    'fraid not.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Bards. You have to take Improved Spell Capacity three times, Heighten Spell, and convince the DM that being able to heighten a spell to 9th level with the 9th-level slot means you meet the "can cast 9th-level arcane spells" requirement for the Epic Spellcasting feat.
    Knew that stratospheric Cha bonus and points in Bluff and Diplomacy would come in useful somewhere...
    Last edited by Nightcanon; 2017-08-04 at 04:25 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Everything's ready", "We need a big room to get all of our work done"...

What have they been up to, apart from killing clerics? I kinda think we won't like the answer.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    My guess is "this won't be a banquet hall any longer."
    Or, it will be a banquet hall soon, again.

But as others have pointed out, Durkon is confronted with an evil spirit that is in the process of subsuming his entire being.

Undurkon has taunted Durkon with "you soon won't be around anymore", several times even, so I guess that is it with vampirism in OotSverse: The vampire gains full strength once it has completely taken control of the bound host-soul. He takes control not automatically after a certain time, but once he has crushed all hope, love and positive emotions of the host. Then, host and vampire merge and become one - something that happened with Malack long ago, the original tribal shaman has long faded away. I guess that the vampire spirit achieves this merging by taunting the host, confronting him with evil acts and dark spots of his past, convincing the host that all hope is lost, and by suppressing positive emotions. How quick will that be? Dunno, but Undurkon's "soon" makes me think this is not a long-term development.

Thus, being confronted with positive memories is strengthening Durkon's bound soul against the psychic assaults of the vampire's spirit. What good that will be, has to be seen. Okay, it would be a big surprise if Durkon can overthrow the vampire completely just because Roy tells him his exile is over. But Undurkon making errors that lead to his demise... I think we can all see that.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    "Everything's ready", "We need a big room to get all of our work done"...

What have they been up to, apart from killing clerics? I kinda think we won't like the answer.
    I guess either this is a plan cooking of which we will see a big reveal later; or the insert point of a bonus strip, or both. My guess is that it is something bloodier than this (or this).
    Last edited by Onyavar; 2017-08-04 at 05:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Durkon is great.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the „banquet hall” memory is still some kind of trap, even if it isn't false.
    I love trying to predict incredibly detailed eventualities. The banquet hall is close-ish to the ceremony hall. So maybe the ancient hallowing still holds (Hallow spell). So magic circle against evil on the entire premise, turn undead/command undead becomes harder, and other spell described under hallow is permanent in the area, I feel dimensional anchor along with another sealed dwarven gate would delay the vampires. Maybe the way Vampirism works in the world the mental control of Durkon (and the other vampires) can be suppressed and rolled again in the magic circle.

If Durkon has the upper hand, Durkula cannot prepare spells to banish the hallowing. If Durkula has the upper hand, he still has to waste time and spells to dispel the anchor or hallowing. Loosing 6th level spell(s) to undo it with greater dispel magic may give the others a fighting chance as I feel a standard dispel magic won't cut it.
    Last edited by Spore; 2017-08-04 at 06:36 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    The vampire gains full strength once it has completely taken control of the bound host-soul.
    I don't think it's anything to do with the vampire's strength--Durkula is as strong now as he's likely to get, barring a heck of a lot of XP (that level adjustment as a vampire can't be good at his level). It's more to do with absorbing all the knowledge of the imprisoned soul.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Barbarian in the Playground

I hope when this Vampire Arc is over, Durkon will retain his snarkyness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a good chance Durkon exceeded the amount of thralls he could have by the time he vampirized this human. Looking back at her first 2 appearances, she's the only vampire who seems disinterested and only cares about feeding. And now in these past few strips she's the only one not to call Durkon "Master" and seems to be the most independent thinker of Durkon's spawns.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Holy beer might still hurt him
    Moo!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Dukon, Durkon, Durkon...if you could feed Durkula any lie at all, you'd choose those? Subtlety is truly a lost art.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Clearly Haley is the Gangster of Love.

The entire OotS is revealed as the Steve Miller band brought into a D&D world, which may in fact mean the Monster in the Darkness is actually the beast from Hotel California. Belkar stabbed it with his steely knives but couldn't scratch it ...
    I like what you did there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post
    I hope when this Vampire Arc is over, Durkon will retain his snarkyness.
    Free Trip.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Just noticed a typo: "First, spending the cash isn't my only prioity."

I guess changing old strips for small typos isn't too high a priority?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Just noticed a typo: "First, spending the cash isn't my only prioity."

I guess changing old strips for small typos isn't too high a priority?
    Changing any on-line strip to fix a small typo is not a priority, new or old. I believe Rich does correct his local copy, so it gets fixed when he publishes them, but seldom does he re-upload a comic with fixes. He is interested in catching these mistakes, though, since he is on record as reading the first few pages of each comic discussion thread to see if any such mistakes are mentioned.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Dukon, Durkon, Durkon...if you could feed Durkula any lie at all, you'd choose those? Subtlety is truly a lost art.
    The Order would be the target recipient, though. I wouldn't rely on them catching subtlety either
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avianmosquito View Post
    Pretty sure the undead can't get drunk.
    Clearly. After all the dwarves they've been draining, there's no way they'd still be able to stand.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting list. Especially considering most of those things could happen. Haley might refuse payment if the person she helped was both good and poor (e.g., dirt farmers), Belkar could totally run a public cook off at some point that happens to feed orphans, and Elan has been doing some thoughtful level-up planning as of late.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post
    The look Cousin Logann's wife gives him when he brags about his "slacking off" skills, especially.
    I believe that's his ma, not his wife. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0962.html

Powers &8^]

28. - Top - End - #118
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeggarDwarf View Post
    Has the comic explicitly stated that Darkon is CE (I seem to remember that being the default alignment for a vampire)? Or Hel, for that matter, though I would guess she's NE?
    LE is quite possible since she's caught in a very bad bet and is working within the rules of it instead of cheating.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Did we ever see the old, rotund dwarf who is sleeping in this strip (and is possibly Durkon's grandfather) speak, in a previous strip?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Did we ever see the old, rotund dwarf who is sleeping in this strip (and is possibly Durkon's grandfather) speak, in a previous strip?
    It's almost certainly his grandfather, and no, we haven't.
    Even the wind will know agony.