New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Finally picked up Fantasy AGE

So I finally buckled and picked up the Fantasy AGE basic rulebook, and it turned out to be a really good rules medium system. Plus I like games that use one type of die, so the use of d6s for everything makes me smile.

Plus I'm glad it has an option to take all the randomness out of character creation, although I'll likely leave it in if my player's don't want to pick options from the tables.

Looking through it, I get the urge to run a low magic game with it, ideally where most of the PCs are Warriors or Rogues rather than Mages (who, now I look at it, are definitely a tad behind in the damage department and need MP to keep up). It's annoying that Warriors don't get the option to start with training in Polearms, but that can easily be houseruled in.

While I can very much see the D&D heritage, and it in some ways feels like a stripped down 3.5 with some elements of 4e in there (hello short rests), there's also some very nice stuff in here such as stunts and it's very focused. A focus on combat, as all D&D style games are (and this is D&D style adventuring as a default), but it's kept simple and the book isn't trying to pretend it's put as much effort into focuses. Plus the fact that your bonuses don't scale as much due to being your Abilities plus potential focus modifier stops the 'orcs are worthless at 12th level problem' in a nice neat way.

So is anyone in the Playground still playing this? Bar the obvious (master rank spells) is there anything to look out for?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Finally picked up Fantasy AGE

There's a Google+ Community called Fantasy AGE RPG that has some great houserules, gameplay, and other discussions you should check out!