New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [D&D 3.5 IC] Against Great Crusade

The mirror polish of golden ceiling curved into walls, disappearing behind tapestries as vast as galleon’s sails. Scenes of Hell’s torments and devilkind’s triumphs made fitting background for Yisgor’s Inner Circle deliberations. Gathered around round table, encrusted with map of Yisgor and surrounding lands - a panorama of silver plains, sapphire seas, emerald fields and jade mountains.

Marbas cut a striking figure, as if the most handsome mortal man was transformed from flesh to ruby, veiled in rarest of black silks threaded by platinum. His muscles were lean and well-formed, his hair short and tightly curled against his head. His hands, well-shaped and elegant, were partly raised, pointing to the map and the marble figures that marked Great Crusade positions. Figures that tell the story woven from hundreds spy reports…

The Great Crusade entered the Vastwhite Plains divided into three Hosts.

From the West, marching along Bloodstone Way - a merchant road built by slave labour from Yisgor to allow fast travel across Vastwhite Plains - comes the First Host. The Host of Sellenus, three fifth of the Great Crusade forces lead by the Golden Dragon. The bulk of the infantry forces, the volunteers and mercenaries, the elite infantry formations of kings and princes, the might of celestials summoned to battle Yisgor’s fiends, seven planetars of Iomedae, each served by seven times seven devas. Skywalkers druids, singers of flame and thunder. The necromancer-artisans of Ateman School and IIawor’s army. Adepts and clerics of Empyreal numbered in thousands. All armies trailed by endless wagons with supplies, livestock and flanked by the ships that sail close to the shore, loaded with even more supplies - for all war turn on logistics and more generals were defeated by hunger than by sword.

The Second Host rode ahead of the First, taking the quicker elements of the armies—the riders, scouts, knights and paladins - and none of the slower. The armed cavalry of Second Host, more than fifteen thousand men and women, ventured into Vastwhite Plains under the command of Princess Ivoire to battle the orc clans and keep the fleet and devious skirmishers from harassing Hosts advance. Exalt-Titan Yudhishthira accompanied the Second Host to challenge any and all Dragonriders. The decisive engagement the Princess hoped for never happened. The over-clans fell back toward Thunderstorm mountains redoubts.

The dwarves and gnomes constituted less than two-fifth of the last army, but Third Host marched under command of legendary Ironbeard, Emperor unto the Deep, King of Dwarves and Gnomes - his wisdom and war experience exceed any of the human lords of Third Host. This army was slowest, because of the dwarven war machines, siege engines and infamous Slaughterstone Behemoths. Third Host advanced from the East, intending to cross Mor Bridge…

“This… this is how failure looks like. This is our failure, but I am to blame more than any of you. I judged that too aggressive attempt at preemptively breaking Crusade alliances would backfire and I’ve chosen subtlety over boldness. Alas, past is past and we cannot afford to reminisce. We need to focus on the future. What is to be done?”

Three humans sat among devils and monsters: Aurang Vogelsang, representative of great trade houses, perpetually silent during last weeks, more observer than adviser, for he was not man of war. Madri Rotweld, arch-priestess of Geryon and head of one of many competing spy networks of Yisgor. Anjiro Kotaro, pirate lord and living legend among sea bandits, who bought his way into society’s topmost standing by long life of plunder and piracy. He alone could sway all the pirate lords and independent captains.

Two devils gelugon Ragisol, strategists and planner, seated at the right hand of Devil-Tyrant. On the left side of Devil-Tyrant sat succubus Azrian, head of dreaded secret police, the Iron Inquisitors.

Four others, half-dragon, vampire-harpy, half-dragon and fiendish minotaur, every bit as dangerous as the two devils, closed the circle around the round table.

“What is to be done?” Marbas, Devil-Tyrant asked again.
    Last edited by Madwand; 2017-07-28 at 04:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5 IC] Against Great Crusade

Most of the group has likely had an encounter with harpies, but none of them were like Xenobia. Alluring and beautiful, her songs were probably made even more enticing by it and when you add in her vampiress nature, you knew that you would likely only have one night with her. But maybe one night would be enough. Fluffing her wings a bit, she studied the map for a moment longer.
    The food she mused the troops would guard against an attack on themselves but they would not expect an attack on the food. I can summon all sorts of vermin to plague it, there are spells that can foul it, all manner of ways to do damage to their supplies. Not enough maybe to stop them but enough to give them trouble and start the cracks in their alliance for an army runs on its stomach just as much.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

The Illithid known as R'lyeh twitches at the mention of Ironbeard. How she hated that name. As usual it seemed like her figure merged ever so slightly with the shadow from the table.
    She ran her gloved hand over the exquisite wood and quizzed it about its history. Someone actually once approached him and requested this exact table.
    At the time the request had seemed ridiculous, how would she even get access to the devil-tyrant's inner sanctum. Yet here she were. Of course the thought was still ridiculous, it would be less painful to slit your throat with a dull spoon than to steal something so valueable from Margas.

"If you choose to go that route, do it at night. Many of our enemies have poor vision and even those who can see at night will have poorer vision than during daytime. If they light up their camps it will be easy to locate them." She commented to the suggestion in a month voice: "Further with the number of druids they are bringing along you might need to burn all the surrounding forest. Even the lollies of druids can feed 20 men a day on a single berrybush".
    "Or at least the part that the Witching will tolerate"
    , she adds as an afterthought.
    This scenario in itself was a clear example of why R'lyeh had risen in the ranks. She had a habit of providing useful suggestions to others ideas rather than rather than taking on responsibilities for herself. She had seen what Marbas did to those who he deemed failures and by enhancing others ideas she would get some merit if they were successful but wouldn't suffer the wrath of their prince of something went horribly wrong.

She then turns to the Prince and bows: "My lord, do we have the numbers of their airborne troops, on their spellslingers and the strength of these? Do we know which security measures they have or how they gather intelligence? And what of our troops?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    @Madwand,
    This post contains a fair number of assumptions. Generally I like to favour questions over assumptions but you haven't given that much information on our lovely court, the history of our enemy etc., and I got the impression from the recruitment thread that you disliked a large number of questions.
    I'm fine with running more on assumptions if that's what we want to do but I wanted to address it before we go to far in.
    Let me know what your thoughts are.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2017-07-28 at 08:27 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Vilehorn sat gazing at the map, mulling over the numbers. The vast hosts marching on Yisgor were capable of bringing doom to them all. At least that meant that for the time being, much of the backstabbing and political games would cease as the populace of Yisgor worked together to stave off annihilation. Any one of the Hosts would be dangerous in its own right, but if all three were to meet Yisgor's forces, the outcome would not be in their favor. As his fellow councilors spoke up, first the harpy, then the illithid, Vilehorn considered their words.

In a voice, low and rumbling like a distant storm, he joined the conversation, "Cutting off supply lines is an important first step, but they will guard against it. Any effort subtle enough to avoid detection will probably not be effective. Perhaps a distraction? Something to keep their champions busy while the supplies are razed." He glances at the illithid, "If their druids and priests are spending their time feeding the host, then they aren't spending their spells on protection, divination, or offense. And that leaves them vulnerable to further sabotage." He sweeps his hand to gesture in turn at the figurines representing each of the three hosts, "Regardless, even if we cut off their supplies, larger scale conflicts will happen." He looks to the Devil Tyrant and asks simply, "What of our forces? What troops have rallied to Yisgor?"
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

5. - Top - End - #5

"The Yisgor rallied fifty thousand troops, spread between the city garrisons, navy and Kaglorderathos' Bastion. Each day more mercenaries are fared from across the Seas into our port. Every day our necromancers rise more skeletal warriors. It's why every day we can delay the Hosts is crucial." the dispassionate Planner Ragisol answered. "The orcish over-clans decide not to fight the Crusade."

Dragonriders are returning to the Thunderstorm mountains, but the decision is not yet made. They will gather over-clans to war council.. Geryon's priestess added " and I know the place and time, we could send envoys and persuade or bribe them to come to our aid".

"Make sure that they perform better than our envoys to Witchking. And we cannot burn any of his forest." Marbas pointed R'lyeh "I've made a pact and I won't be first to break it."

"Of the Great Crusade, we do not have exact numbers, only estimates" Planner Ragisol answered " What we know: the Skywalkers druids number half thousand and forth five all their full members. Each and every one of them is able to walk on air and call lightning, less than hundred is stronger. The Ateman School school have sent hundred of their wizards, each forged at least one wondrous item and one wand to earn the rank. I estimate more than five thousands clerics and adepts, of various strengths and skills. And there are so called heroes and adventurers that are not accounted for and we have no knowledge how many of them are able to effectively fight in air and how many can cast spells.

"The seven planetars and three hundred and forty three devas are main airborne troops, not counting any metallic dragons, far only Sellenus made himself visible, but we cannot exclude possibility that more of them joined the Great Crusade and are trying to stay hidden in human forms. The Second and Third Hosts have no fliers except for clerics, arcanists and adventurers.

"Their security measures are formidable - they use paladins in random inspections to detect our imps and other agents, truth-finding, divination and scrying spells. The Sellenus inner circle is impenetrable to our agents, as the dragon sight and his ability to sense lies proved to be greater than any of our agents skills. The mundane scouts and celestial fliers provide Crusade with good overview all across the Vastwhite plains. They obviously have spies in Yisgor. It cannot be avoided, considering that every day thousand foreign mercenaries enter our armies." Geryon priestess finished summary of obstacles.
    Last edited by Madwand; 2017-07-29 at 08:15 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"Strange that the orcs have chosen to withdraw," Azrian muses. "Tactically astute, since they would have borne the brunt of the Crusade's wrath on the approach, but their kind does not usually shy from battle. I wonder if there is some dissent we might exploit there. Perhaps they might be persuaded to attack the Third Host once Princess Ivoire moves on; the dwarves are ill-equipped to fight that sort of battle, and there are old grudges between orcs and dwarves." Her voice is level, dispassionate, sounding as much like an engineer faced with a malfunctioning device as like a diplomat. What lever do I pull to make these people work the way I want them to?

"What aid can we draw from Hell? On a tactical level, fiends would be well-suited to sabotaging and harrying the enemy on the approach; my own kin can kill silently, sow discord with a thought, and travel vast distances in the blink of an eye, and there are many with similar talents. Their paladins and magi may have the power to sniff us out and banish us, but they cannot be everywhere at once and they cannot match our mobility. On a diplomatic level, Yisgor's existence represents an opportunity for all of devilkind, and an investment for many; we can leverage that. The only obstacle I am unsure of is our ability to move allies from the Lower Planes to this world. Strategist, Archpriestess, you would know more of that than I."
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #7

" I want them persuaded." Marbas turned his perfect face to Azrian "and indeed the Deep and Orcs have blood between them and centuries of old grudges. And we need every sword between us and Crusade. You are, as of now, in charge of this. And as all attempts at communication with Witchking also failed, I will also change a person in charge.. Marbas looked across the table, thinking about who should be his new envoy to the mad Witchking.

Madri Rotweld turned as white as a sheet. That was her tasks and now both was taken away and one given to Azarin, a clear sign of disfavour.

"I secured ninty-nine Barbazu and moved them through Horned Gate - they are our fast response team if Sellenus tries attack with teleporting troops. We have few dozen Osyluths, succubi, erynies that are citizens.. and my personal guard of sixty-four legion devils are all what we have for now. I will be personally imploring for more reinforcements in Mammon's court, but every additional devil is a cost. We wouldn’t want to hand our city to other devil lords in payment for that debts, Azarian. Be assured that I'll leverage everything I can to give us a chance."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

"Of course m'lord" R'lyeh agrees "My suggestion was only if the witchking allowed it. On that topic do we know why negotiations broke down? Does he simply not respond?"

To Azrian she says: "Perhaps counseling with Kaglorderathos would be beneficial, he have both orcs and goblins under his control and might know why the orcs have not responded to the call. And if you choose to go bribery the tradehouses might want to help out with money, after all they are possibly those who would lose most if our walls fall." Her facial expression is neutral but the suggestion wasn't purely from an objective standpoint. Money was the sore point of the tradehouses and she were looking forward to seeing how they would squirm out of this one.

"What other candidates do we have for allies? Have attempts to contact Archmage Mor been made? What about Marglock? Any word from Kesikasumislox or any of the other dragons? Marglock? What about the minotaurs?"

"In terms of troops from the layers of hell, I am sure you have already considered this Margas but a promise of a permission to stay and work in Yisgor should it withstand the attack of our enemy might save coin."

"In terms of delaying I believe we should use guerilla tactics. Fast and sudden attacks followed by a swift withdrawal on all hosts would force them to move slowly and the constant vigilance should tear on the mind of the weak. Attacks should primarily be done at night which will disrupt their sleep and slow them down further. Exclusively nightly attacks would lull them into a fall sense of security at daytime which if we could break it with a strong attack would be crippling for their fortitude and morale.
    The idea of disrupting their food supplies could work. I would also suggest that m'lord ask the necromancers to brew some contageous and discrete diseases which can be spread in the hosts. In particular if we can use a few of the Barbazu to teleport the disease, the spells that are needed to counter these tactics start ramping up."

"We also need to sink their supply ships",
    The last part was directed towards Anjiro
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2017-07-30 at 06:43 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kallion sat uncomfortably in his seat at the inner circle and shifted uneasily at the mention of his mother. He had spent the last six months murdering and brutalizing miscreants in the City: first as an indentured servant to a mercenary group to ease her debts, now as their leader after seizing the reigns himself. He preferred things that way. Nice and simple. He was more comfortable when he could see the axe swinging at his head, or, as was growing more commonplace, planning for the knife in the dark. Here at the table of power, however, you never knew how you would be gutted.

"The orcs must be brought into line!" He casually brought his armored arm down on the table in an action that would splinter lesser wood. "This talk of subterfuge will not work until we break upon their lines like an avalanche and send the broken husk of the Second Host mewling back to their pitiful angel masters. We must persuade the Dragonriders that if they do not die upon the swords of our enemies, then they will die upon ours."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

i can petition Kaglo to commit himself more fully to this battle and to bring his powers of persuasion to bear on the orcs. If they continue to harry the sides of this host, we can funnel them into the Dark Pass, where it will be a killing field for us and their numbers of lesser mention. But I also think the idea of attacking their food supplies is valid. I can summon up hordes of rats to nibble the foods and spread their urine to foul the supplies. Yes, they have druids and clerics to purify but every spell spent doing that is one less spell to be used offensively. Bats to harass their sleep as well. Those measures will be little annoyance to the top members of their army, but the rank and file rabble will become superstitious and jumpy, their morale ready to crack.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2017-07-31 at 02:03 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Vilehorn growls quietly at the mention of Marglock's name. He begrudgingly adds, "Marglock's spawn are numerous, but not nearly enough to take on any of the hosts. They would be well used as shock troops, or as spies and assassins. I'm sure their services will not come cheaply, but if you demand their services Lord Marbas, I'd be happy to deliver that message in person. Perhaps, given enough ... incentive, Marglock himself may even take to the field." The fiendish minotaur finishes that last though with a predator's smile.

He brightens a bit at the mention of the Minotaur tribes, "They will answer the call of Yisgor, and I command many of their best already in our forces. I believe all the rest of the tribes need is an envoy to be sent. I will happily be that envoy."

Vilehorn nods at his fellow councilors, "It sounds as though we are in agreement on the orcs. They must join against the Great Crusade, be used to blunt the advance of the Second Host, and then turned loose upon the Third Host. Azrian, I will join you in bringing the Orcs to heel. Since the Minotaur tribes reside beneath the same mountains, I can also speak with Chieftan Thuun to secure their service while we are there." He eyes the demon for a moment before adding, "That is, unless you object."

He looks up to the others and says, "I am in favor of the plan to attack the supply lines and sow fear among the First Host in order to slow its advance. Xenobia, it sounds like you already have a plan in mind for that, does that mean you take that task as your own? I'd suggest that Anjiro and his ... associates can join you and conduct night-time raids against some of the outlying ships in the supply chain. If we can infiltrate some vessels, kill the crew, and sail off with them in the night, that would be even better. When it comes to the Second and Third Hosts, I believe we may also need to slay or otherwise incapacitate their champions in order to break their will. Without the Orcs and their dragon riders, dealing with the titan Yudhishthira who leads the Second Host will be a serious problem. After we bring the orcs to our side, I can work with Azrian to identify targets for assassination, and then lead those attempts. Kallion, your skills are well known, and would be welcome on this effort. Depending on how many targets we identify and what their capabilities are, we may require a few specialists as well. Lord Marbas, may we borrow the services of some of your newly acquired Barbazu to aid in these efforts? Having them slay some of the Crusade's lesser leaders will go a long way in aiding Xenobia's efforts to sow fear among the rank and file."

He holds up one hand and counts off fingers as he voices the list, "We must bring the orcs to heel. We need to persuade the Witchking to join us. We must slow the advance of the Second Host, as it will be upon us first, and will secure the front line on our side of the Mor bridge, which means the Third Host can join the fray. We must also slow the First Host, ideally through supply line assaults. And then we must prevent the Third Host from crossing the Mor bridge. If we can accomplish those goals, we buy time to bulk up our forces, and snatch success from the jaws of failure."
    Last edited by Deadline; 2017-07-31 at 06:53 PM.

Signature of Holding

12. - Top - End - #12

“The negotiations.. There were none. The Witchking’s lair lies at the heart of his woods and none of those I’ve sent were able to sneak past the monsters and black magic of that place. We will need to send someone who is both excellent negotiator and can hold against all that..” priestess answered R'lyeh, glancing at succubus.

“The tradehouses paid all their war taxes!” Aurang Vogelsang cut in before succubus answered “and all of us will lose everything, if the Yisgor fall. Or do you already plan to run and save your life by betraying our lord, Illithid?”

“Enough. Yisgor vaults and store-houses are full and we have more than enough to pay orcs. You can promise them hundred thousands gold, in food, weapon and coins. I leave the detail to your judgement, Azrian.

Archmage Mor is dead for more than five centuries and his School is marching with enemy. We don’t have many allies in the Shattered Seas left. The Lich-lords hide in shadows and don’t have capabilities for direct confrontation. The drow shun the surface and we had an… conflict in last century that many of their leaders still remember. Not to mention that they worship a Demon Queen and consort with the Abyss and Chaotic forces.

“ I would have ordered that attack long time ago, if it wasn’t for that golden lizard that can burn all my ships. They are sailing always within sight of shores, and I am not miracle worker to win a sea battle in less than minute. If, perhaps, we could coordinate the strike with massive distraction.. Anjiro mused out loud.

“Very well Kallion, you will accompany Azrian to the Thunderstorm mountain.” Marbas ordered, and turned to others:

“The attack on supplies is an idea, but to be efficient you will need more than one vampire, even as powerful as you, my Xenobia. Hundreds rats won’t do much to the food for tens of thousands men. We cannot rely on the old tactics, so you will go to the Kaglorderathos and instruct him to grant you command over all the vampires in Bastion and you will lead them in the sabotage of supply lines of First Host. The contagion spread by Barbazu is good idea. I will direct our magi to make it reality fast as possible.” ”[/B]

“Yes, Vilehorn. Excellent analysis and summary. When the orcs will be brought to our side, you should be there to direct them on tactic. You will have two dozen Barbazu, they will join you when the orcs are ready to march against our enemies.
    Last edited by Madwand; 2017-08-01 at 01:19 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Azrian nods to Vilehorn and Kallion. "Your assistance in this endeavor will be welcome. However." Her gaze comes to rests on the half-ogre. "We cannot afford to move against the orcs while the Crusade stands on our doorstep, and they know it. Making threats we cannot follow through on will only weaken our position. Refrain. I will instruct you on which threats I consider acceptable later."

"Priestess. Before we leave I would appreciate hearing of your efforts with the orcs, as well as a summary of the political situation among the clans. The more information I have, the better our chances are." The succubus's tone is matter-of-fact, neither judging Geryon's priestess for her failures nor smug over what some might perceive as a victory over a rival. It would have been better for all of them if Rotweld had succeeded; since she hadn't, a change of tactics was called for. Nothing more than that.

She addresses the priestess's unspoken query next, turning to the Tyrant. "My lord. If you lack other emissaries, I suspect I can make contact with the Witchking, though it may distract from my efforts with the orcish clans. I am, as always, at your disposal."
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2017-08-02 at 02:00 PM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

14. - Top - End - #14

"Prioritize the orcs. Then we will discuss Witchking - I will need a good group that can stand to the monsters.. Marbas answered.

The priestess gathered her thoughts and explained the situation..

"We are more spies then diplomats..

The trouble with orcs is that they are not a coherent political entity. In many cases, the clans and tribes are rivals and mortal enemies and fight against each others constantly. Over-clans meet very rarely and only in direst circumstances, if something touch upon all of the Vastwhite Plains.

They are gathering now.. they will meet at their main temple of Gorum, located in abandoned ruins in Thunderstorm mountains. All four of the over-clans will send their representatives, who will be arriving over next several days.

The first one to make it there are Blue Dragonriders: Burning Eyes, Seoki Giantblood, Storm Crow.. Blue Over-clan called this meeting, because their lands are on direct path of both First and Second host. We are not sure who will be there from other clans and what they will say.

I would wager that Blue Dragon over-clan will be willing to battle Second Host, but I doubt they will want to go against First... on the other hand the Red Dragon over-clan are long-time enemies of the Deep and Ironbeard and they will see the Third Host as the most threatening. Both White and Green are unknown in this equation. "
    Last edited by Madwand; 2017-08-03 at 04:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Vilehorn nods, "As you wish, Lord Marbas. I will go and select a dozen of the Barbazu now, and make travel preparations. Kallion, Azrian, will an hour be sufficient time to make your preparations and meet me back here before we leave?"

Signature of Holding

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kallion clenches his hand into a fist. "Then it will be like old times..."

He glances at Azrian and forces a soft reply to the captain of the secret police: "This is my kind of diplomacy. The orcs only need a firm hand to push them into the path of destruction. I will defer to you if you believe your coercion is more effective."

With a less strained stature he turns to address the minotaur: "I am ready now. We should depart as soon as possible."
    Last edited by cutlex; 2017-08-04 at 10:50 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

"I would argue that securing the Witchkings support should be a high priority" R'lyeh starts and then does something that is unprecedented in her time at Margas' court, offers to take on responsibility for something major : " Prince Margas, with our emmisaries occupied otherwise I will, with your permission, seek out the Witchking and act as our diplomat."

"I will require an order to the Librarians to collect all information we have on the Witchking and if possible a way of contacting Yisgor"
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2017-08-04 at 03:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

"Very well, R'lyeh" Marbas answered "you will be my envoy to that decrepit monster. The librarians won't be of any help. Other than handful of envoys, none have crossed into the Witchwoods, nor anyone save me spoke to Witchking face to face. I can tell you this: do not try to intimidate him, he does not react well to that. Not at all.

His servants are forest animals, but twisted.. spiders the size of dogs, worgs as intelligent as men and twice as vicious, dire bears.. and many other things in that vein. Don't be fooled by trees - some of them are monstrous and will kill you if they have a chance. I will command one of the wizards, who can cast Sending to go with you and give you escort of four my legion devils. My agreement with Witchking forbid groups larger than six to enter the Witchwoods. I trust your ingenuity and resourcefulness to find a way to his lair at the heart of the woods. "

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

R'lyeh bows her head in respect.

"In that case a few questions to you m'lord. These could be done now or after the meeting at your convinience. Further I will rely heavily on stealth to bypass our obstacles and any who follow me should have some capability of remaining unseen."

Spoiler: Questions if Margas asks for them now
    Show
    "What is your impression of the Witchking as a person?"
    "What is his relation to other druidic circles and in particular to the Skywalkers?"
    "What does he want?"
    "What means can I offer him for an alliance?"
    "Any other information that m'lord have on the Witchking would be useful,"
    Also some more information of druids in the host would be useful.

I can't remember if it came up but if it didn't R'lyeh asks: "Do we know the numbers of the three hosts?"
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2017-08-04 at 03:51 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

"That's fine. The wizard will be the only problem, but I will gift him with elven boots and cloak, that should remedy some of the problems.. perhaps I will send the assassins, instead of devils with you? What do you prefer?"

Marbas answered the questions:

"That he is a fool with too much power."

"Druids hate him and would consider him an abomination. What Witchking makes out of others druids, I know not."

"He wants his forest spreads.. and yes you can offer him miles of land in exchange for his monsters taking the field against Crusade. Tell him that if Yisgor withstand the Crusade, he can take twice what he holds now."

OOC: I posted note on Skywalkers in the first post of OOC thread.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

"I would prefer assasins if we have four assassins who can avoid the senses of beast and plants and who can strike true against plants."
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2017-08-04 at 09:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Vilehorn turns to leave and adds to Azrian and Kallion, "I almost forgot, the chamber here is warded against teleportation, meet me in the courtyard below in an hour." With that, he leaves the chamber to go and look over the Barbazu. He speaks with them and selects the fiercest two dozen to join him once the orcs have joined their cause. He brings two of them along as guards and messengers for the visit to the orcs, and describes the area to them. Once those preparations are complete, he returns to the courtyard with the two Barbazu, and awaits his companions. Once they arrive and are ready, he puts a hand on Kallion's shoulder and chants a teleport spell.

The sudden dragon attack puts his travel plans on hold.

Spoiler: Vilehorn Status
    Show
    HP: 122/122
    AC: 26

Current Stance: Martial Spirit

Readied Maneuvers:
    1 - Leading the Attack
    2 - Battle Leader's Charge
    3 - Foe Hammer
    4 - Revitalizing Strike
    5 - Lion's Roar

Granted Maneuvers:
    None

Active Spells and Defenses:
    Spell Resistance 22
    DR 10/magic
    Resistance to Acid 10, Cold 10, Electricity 10, Fire 10
    Immunity to Poison
    Blur - 20% Miss Chance (Cloak of the Faded General, constant effect)

Spells Used Today:
    1 - Teleport (5th)
    Last edited by Deadline; 2017-08-10 at 10:42 AM.

Signature of Holding

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Rapporting to the Circle

After the meeting was concluded R'lyeh headed to the meeting with the Circle of the Grand, the unofficial grouping of the oligarchs, the give her rapport of the meeting. She takes the appropriate caution and makes sure to go through weird places in Yisgor and to stay in the shadow to get rid off possible stalkers.

"Honorable Grands" R'lyeh starts out to the gathered figures: "The meeting were as some expected of great importance. An alliance is moving against Yisgor. It primarily consiste of humans and dwarves but there are many creatures of greater power and the risk of Yisgor falling is very real." She pauses to let that sink in: "If Yisgor will have a chance to stand at all we will need help. It should be clear that we all will lose everything should Yisgor fall, so I propose that the Circle of the Grand commit to going as far beyond the war tax as they are capable of. Further if any of you hold resources or contacts that you think can help persuade any of the Drow cities or the Lichkings to join us that will greatly increase our chances of surviving."

She then add omniously: "Further the human and dwarven countries are sending their strongest, so should the enemy fail their lands are open for plunder. This concludes the rapport, questions?"

Stage 2

Back at the hidden parts of her basement R'lyeh stares down at the small pool below her and carefully watches the tadpoles swim around. They were all her children but she were hesitant in allowing all of them to enter the next stage. Some had shown weakness in the earliest stages and others seemed too aggressive. Yet a few had caught her attention and seemed to be prime candidates. Maybe when she returned she could give the others a better chance.

She turns to the half-snake behind her and ask: "Sebastian, have the preparations been made?"

After receiving validation she picks up her chosen 3 tadpoles from the pool and with controlled movements places them on the faces of the three unconscious dwarves lying chained up on the hard stone. Watching them crawl into the ears of the creature and the sound of the devouring of flesh was unnerving. Her race truly was cruel to the core. When she first read that this was how their reproduction happened she had rejected doing it ever, simply due to the sheer pain that it must inflict on the tributes. However she had been able to find 3 dwarves and those nasty creatures deserved every little bit of pain coming their way.

"I trust that you will show them the ropes if they fully form before I come back. I'm leaving the book of Anglatosh in your care and it should contain any instructions on nourishment and care. Any questions before I depart for the Witchking?" She asks Sebastian with a proud smile. That boy was perhaps the finest orphan she had raised. He had turned up to be clever, compassionate and competent, even more so that the other urchins she raised.

Show
    I tend to like to use the scene format when I am anticipating certain scenes won't have affect on other scenes.
    @Madwand,
    if you feel inspired to roleplay one or both of these scenes I would be interested that but I am also fine with just saying that they happened and move on.
    Also let me know if any of my assumptions are out of line.

Leaving for the Witchking(Current)

R'lyeh met up at the gate with the minions given to her by Margas as she had instructed them to. "Follow me", she says as she entered towards the Witchking's domain.

Once outside of the hearing of others she addressed them all: "I trust that you have been informed that we will be entering the Witchking
    s forest shortly and that you are aware of the potential for mortal encounters. Each critter could be poisonous and each tree a trap. We must exercise utmost care as we travel through. Does any of you have experience in travelling in a forest?"

24. - Top - End - #24

Show

Sure. The illithid tadpoles technically require Elder Brain psychic fluid to mature, but I am ok with bending the lore a bit to get you with three toddler-mindflyars in the middle of the epic battle

Devils and dragons is current scene for all players.

Devils and dragons

"My Lord! We are under attack." messenger imp interrupted the discussion, the council meeting was closing, the last details of missions hammered out "from air!"

The Marbas stood and directed you all to the gallery outside the council chamber. Some teleported to the roof of the palace, the non-devils used a marble staircase...

The night sky was lit by unnatural light. Titanic shapes circled between dark clouds. Great wings, golden scales and terrible fire-spitting jaws.. golden dragons, dozens golden dragons!

"SURRENDER OR BURN"

The declaration splashed across the sky in red letters like exclamation of angry god. The first sounds of panic from the city.. people screaming, cries to the archdevils and gods alike carried in the night air, and toll of bells heralded danger...

Reporting to the Circle
    The half-illuminated basement, located in confusing labyrinths of alleys and warehouses of Yisgor's seaport is lined with lead.The Circle meet, the five masked figures, their figures obscured by illusions; no-one knows the faces, voices of those in attendance. They all look like tall shadows wrapped in brown-grey cloaks.

"That is known to all of us. What did Tyrant and his council decide to do?" the voice could belong to any of them.

Stage 2

"Yes, my lady R'lyeh" Sebastian answered "how long will you be gone?"

The kid eyes darted with anexity to the dwarves and wriggling tadpoles that are about to begin their feast and transformation inside the skulls.
    Last edited by Madwand; 2017-08-06 at 04:32 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Happy you're ready to let it slide
    I feel like I faintly recall that that was just something that the Elder Brain had convinced the Mindflayers off such that they continuously would feed it tadpoles, just like it have convinced them that dead mindflayers brains fed to it would became part of it when in reality it just eats them and gain access to their memories.

Devils and dragons

R'lyeh stares up at the letters in the sky wondering and then moves her eyes to the dragons in the sky, trying to identify them.

"Because they definitely wouldn't burn any of us if we surrendered", she comments drily before turning to Margas:
    "M'lord, perhaps we should consider seeking the aid of the chromatic dragons. Perhaps we could promise them gold, allowance to stay in the vicitity of Yisgor and vengence towards these above us?"

Show
    Spot (1d20+19)[33]
    Knowledge(arcane)[for dragons] (1d20+16)[29]. This roll is assuming that I can roll once for all dragons and uses a factotum cunning knowledge, otherwise deduct 8 from the result. If one or more dragons can't be identified here's a lore(Illithid Savant) roll: (1d20+12)[31]

Reporting to the Circle

"As one would expect the Tyrant decided to disrupt the Crusade and to acquire allies. Xenobia have been granted control of the vampires in town, and will be coordinating disruption towards the crusade and will be travelling to the the Dark Passage. Vilehorn, Kallion and noticably Azrian will be occupied with the orcs. I myself have been tasked with entering the domain of the Witchking. Drows were deemed unoptainable and so were the Lichkings", the tall shadow that is R'lyeh answers: "What will you do?"

Stage 2

"You know you don't have to call me that", she says, gently striking the scales on his head: "I don't know for how long but I have left you in charge of the house, the tradehouse and you will be overseeing the orphans and their training. I know that you only have 20 years behind you but by human standards you would already be fully grown and you have all the skills you need, just believe in yourself. And now spit it out, what are you thinking?
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2017-08-06 at 12:19 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Xenobia resists the urge to fly up and use her song on the dragons, knowing that these beasts would easily resist it. She does, however, prepare the spell that will even further empower her ability to inspire courage in her allies, and awaits to see what they have planned.

Show
    Readying to cast Inspirational Boost followed by Inspire Courage
    #GoreMutualarejerks

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kallion touches a rune on his arm; it glows blue for a moment before fading. He growls, "Arrogant fools, let's see them try. We'll have to kill them eventually anyway, at least they were bold enough to avoid a chase."

He unfurls his wings and draws his sword, adjusting his combat stance.

"Orders, my lord?"

Spoiler: Kallion actions
    Show

Kallion activates Protection from Energy (fire) on himself.

He also uses Spot to try to determine the distance to the dragons and their size category:
    [Roll]1d20+18[/Roll]
    Last edited by cutlex; 2017-08-07 at 01:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: third time's the charm
    Show
    Not sure how to make already posted messages have new dice rolls: (1d20+17)[18]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Vilehorn heads to the gallery along with the others. His eyes narrow a bit at the challenge, but he considers it carefully. "Lord Margas, what response do you want to send? They are making a big show of force, but should they choose to attack they will suffer casualties. The damage they could cause may be major, but if you have any last hold outs in the city who have refused your call for aid and service, then the attack could be made to serve your interests."

He glances back at the shapes in the sky before adding a bit more quietly, "The larger wyrms will be the most problematic. Do you have a solution for dealing with them?"

While he waits for a response, his eyes sweep over the dragons in an attempt to get an accurate count, and identify as many of them as possible.

Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show
    Knowledge(Arcana) check to identify the various dragons (and gain Knowledge Devotion bonuses against them): (1d20+19)[26] (Using Collector of Stories skill trick to bump from +14 to +19)

Vilehorn is shooting for a count of dragons, as well as how many of them are in each age category. That way we can identify the easy targets and the hard targets.

Spoiler: Vilehorn Status
    Show
    HP: 122/122
    AC: 26

Current Stance: Martial Spirit

Readied Maneuvers:
    1 - Leading the Attack
    2 - Battle Leader's Charge
    3 - Foe Hammer
    4 - Revitalizing Strike
    5 - Lion's Roar

Granted Maneuvers:
    None

Active Spells, Bonuses, and Defenses:
    Spell Resistance 22
    DR 10/magic
    Resistance to Acid 10, Cold 10, Electricity 10, Fire 10
    Immunity to Poison
    Blur - 20% Miss Chance (Cloak of the Faded General, constant effect)
    +3 to hit and damage Dragons - Knowledge Devotion check

Spells Used Today:
    1 - Teleport (5th) (Not yet spent, may happen after current scene)
    Last edited by Deadline; 2017-08-07 at 02:07 PM.

Signature of Holding

30. - Top - End - #30

R'lyeh count the dragons and compare them to the vast stores of his knowledge. It doesn't add up. It just not that none of the dragons shows any scars, marks or iconic armaments associated with known great wyrms - it's just that there is too many of them, way to many..

In R'lyeh's mind's eye the shapes in the sky became ephemeral, semi-translucent and unreal. Except one.

For everyone else the threat was still as real and as terrifying. Xenobia saw how the the mob formed in the street reached the Palace, someone convinced them that it's a safest place.. and started to clash with guards, demanding to be let in.

The Marbas answered his two champions:

"Prepare everything we got." the ice devil teleported as the words were spoken, perhaps to fetch all other Yisgor' demons " I will led the charge against... "

The rest of Devil-Tyrant's words were cut short by a roar, as the one of the golden dragons swooped down, down and away, to port, disappearing in the darkness. R'lyeh realized that it's the true enemy, Sellenus himself. The scaled neck reared into existence, illuminated by dragon's fire. The unseen maw dipped, vomited a cataract of golden fire onto the ships waiting in harbour. The blaze engulfed the biggest galleon in the fleet. Sellanus wings carried him away into darkness of night sky.

Show

Sorry for delay.

Mechanical overview: R'lyeh is only one aware that all save one golden dragons are an illusion. The panicked mob is storming Marbas palace' gates and the true dragon is burning the ships in the harbour.
    Last edited by Madwand; 2017-08-09 at 09:38 AM.