Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: The World At Your Feet (IC)

Geoffrey Oathorn
    First Level Cleric, Fourth Level Ranger

Geoffrey looks around the guild hall in wonderment - he'd never seen people from the majority of the races represented here before. His gaze lingers on a four-armed insectoid for a few moments, but he forces himself to turn for fear of being rude (or worse, being rude and getting noticed doing so). As the group approaches the entrance desk, Geoffrey's hand rests on his sheathed sword hilt - less because he feels threatened and wants to be ready to draw, and more to keep his hand from visibly shaking with excitement at the boundless adventure that the Guild seems to promise. Even though this hall is full of things that Geoffrey could never have even dreamed of when he was a boy, he feels more at home here than on the streets of the city or performing clerical tasks at the temple. The buzz of energy and the tantalizing thought of travel, battle, and glory remind Geoffrey of his apprenticeship with Sir Eckbert - how he missed that old knight and the times they had together!

When Miri speaks, Geoffrey briefly nods and interjects a "G'day, ma'am. Name's Geoffrey, Geoffrey Oathorn. Pleased to be at your service," but he is then content to fall into the background of the conversation as Liag and Lorxa introduce the group and their desires.
    Last edited by gloryblaze; 2017-08-13 at 02:54 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Miri nods and listens as Liag speaks. Her expression is difficult to read, but you get the sense that she's having a hard time reading you as well. She takes her time to look you over, giving you time to listen to the bustle in the background of a Kenku stumbling over himself as he passes by. A tawny Tabaxi looks up at the off-balance corvid.
    "That's a sentiment I've heard often, one of desperation from being put in a position of righteous frustration. But if you'll forgive me, there are one or two things I'd like to ask about. You should understand that this is not a place of employment as much as it is a home. If it's 'getting by' you're looking for and you seek to join the guild if that's what it can provide for you, you may feel more at home seeking work or apprenticeship among the merchants' storefronts on this road as they know what it means to work for coin. I recognize none of your faces; are you new to the city? Not that I know every face in Amaranth of course, though one or two of you do rather stand out if I may be so bold," she remarks, eyes lighting on the towering Lorxa and the glittering Geoffrey. She pauses for another few seconds. "What calls you to the city, bearing a crest of Ehlonna? While I am flattered by your companion's description of us, I daresay Ehlonna's churches are every bit as decent as us. So what brings you here, rather than bringing your enthusiastic spirit there? They deal in little silver, but they do always put food on the table."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

Geoffrey Oathorn

Geoffrey beams at Miri, cheerfully replying with "Adventure, ma'am, I seek adventure! I am a priest of Ehlonna, yes, but before that I am a knight of Ehlonna. I belong out in the wilds, doing the quests that ordinary folk can't or won't, using my abilities to their fullest to aid people however possible. Staying in the city - even in the temple - squanders my best skills. I can hunt, I can trap, I can track, and I'm handy with a sword, but only that last one can do me any good when I'm surrounded by walls of stone with streets instead o' grass under my feet.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

This elicits a wide, genuine smile from Miri.
    "Now that's an attitude I can get behind! From where do you hail, that you come to the city eager to leave it? Felicia and Pimsley are much the same, and it probably wouldn't surprise you how often some border town on the forest or someplace way far north calls for aid from someone with those skills. There's never a shortage of muscleheads who want to brute force their way through life's problems, and while they're off hunting a Remorhaz they don't realize they can't crush a blizzard with their maul or stare down hunger with a steely gaze."
    She turns to the other four members of the group, chewing the inside of her cheek.
    "So we have one who wants relics of unusual power, and one who wants gainful employment and a comfortable lifestyle. And the two of you, you mustn't always let the men take point in conversation! What are you hoping the Guild is going to do for you?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

I am sorry, I may not have been clear, please excuse my lack of facility in well any social interaction really. What I really seek is knowledge and the knowledge I seek is in the parsellus academy but to get access I want to offer them some new discovery.

You see at heart I am a scientist specializing in botany zoology alchemy and applied engineering. I tried offering my latest discoveries but they were not interested, perhaps I made a social guffaw with them too though.

For example I have derived a compound from the bile of fire beetles and a particularly potent form of spicy pepper which can be contained in a seed pod casing harvested from a subterranean form of legume. You see three parts of.....

Lorxa prattle on until interrupted when he will feel embarrassed and try to shrink back a bit.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Meira Sarmaer
    Fifth level Druid

Meira frowns in interested thought as she listens to Lorxa's description of the stuff he has been working on. In response to Miri's question, she finally steps forward and tells her, "I just want to see the world! There are so many places. I've seen some amazing things since I've left home, and I know there are just so many more to see."
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Miri smiles warmly to Meira.
    "I understand that sense of wanderlust, as I've felt it myself in the past. But knowing that, I fear our guild may prove to be a string which ties you down. The people who join our family often meet us in a state of disarray without direction in the world. With us they find stability, and a home. Being here isn't just a job, we care about each other and are here for each other. That's not to say that some more experienced members don't go abroad on long missions from time to time, but most stay here to support each other. This may not be the place for you if you hope to leave as soon as you can."

Miri disappears behind the desk as she hops from her chair to standing, and then motions to you to follow as she heads into the side of the wide dining room with the cork boards on the side. With a few quick bouncing steps she hops between the boards to snatch a pinned scroll from near the top, while a speckled Aarakocra stands and move behind the group.
    "If I'm honest, I don't know that most of you are a great fit for our hall. I'm also not sure about your relationship with each other - it sounds like you all want something different. But talk is cheap, and whether or not it goes anywhere you're owed the chance to prove yourself in the field. You're looking for something interesting, secret, and distant? I've got the perfect thing, provided you can act with a modicum of discretion. So the Dwarves out west in Resswald dig too deep and uncover something lost and forgotten like, every other week. They love that. The monks from the Earthstar Redoubt sent a request for aid to us, which is unusual considering how secretive they usually are.
    It's a religious site for pilgrimage, and highly respected by the more spiritual sorts in Druunvur. But I guess for some reason it's because of that that they can't reach out to the Dwarves on the continent for help, I don't know. So they've got something that needs investigating, and a number of subterranean creatures that need to be cleared out for it to be safe for them to do so.

How does that sound? A pretty long adventure somewhere far from here, researching something mysterious in a region that most people don't get a close look at. Also we have Tule here, who's from Rothheim so he understands the region decently. If you want he can tag along with you as a guide, and he can judge if you're a good fit for the guild by the way you work together. If it doesn't suit you I'm sure I can find something else, but it's the first thing that came to mind. I think Felicia had some business in Eornal, if you were looking for something closer to home.
    "
    The tawny Tabaxi looks up at the mention of her name, but the Aarakocra has been listening in and extends a hand.
    "Tule Galerider, aspiring magician and guild member. While I'm less than excited about plumbing the bowels of the earth away from the open sky, it's true that I understand the locals a little better than most. Goliaths and Dwarves alike are...well, they stick to their ways and they're not shy about telling you why you're wrong. Plus I'm excited to see new blood in the guild, if it ends up working out with you lot. But like Miri said, I don't have to be there if you think it would be a burden. This is your trial, so you can expect me to take a back seat."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Meira Sarmaer
    Fifth level Druid

Meira frowns as Miri takes some time to explain the situation. "Sooo...members of the Explorer's Guild...stay at the Explorer's Guild." Her face looks thoughtful as Miri continues, but she snaps back to attention near the end. "I love it! It sounds perfect. What do you guys think?" She then turns to the aarakocra who greets them. "Tule, you say? Meira. So nice to meet you! We'll be traveling together. How soon will you be ready? Do you know the areas between here and there well? I'd love to hear about them."
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-08-14 at 06:21 PM.

Show

9. - Top - End - #39

RangerGuy

sounds good to me too, and I'd love the opportunity to learn more about the aarakocra.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

Geoffrey Oathorn

Geoffrey's smile widens as he hears the proposed job.

"Well, by my troth! That does sound lovely. I'm always up for a tussle with wild beasts, subterranean or otherwise."

As Tule introduces himself, Geoffrey turns to the aaracokra. "G'day, sir. Name's Geoffrey - Geoffrey Oathorn, at your service. Nice to meet you, and it'll be a pleasure to work together for however like by that may be."
    Last edited by gloryblaze; 2017-08-14 at 10:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

"I look forward to seeing you all in action," Tule responds with as much of a smile as can be managed on a beak, which isn't much. "To address your question first Meira, my experience with the route I imagine you'll take is actually limited. I came to Amaranth via the Marid's Retort, which I assure you is considerably less fearsome when you have reliable wings and nothing more than the pack on your back compared to a sailing caravel loaded with loot to be lost in the whirlpools. The Earthstar Redoubt is halfway around the world, so unless you have powerful magical aid or connections to a boat designed for a long voyage then it'll be...well, it could end up being the better part of a year just to get there if you're carried by nothing other than your feet. Could shave a month or two off by cutting north from here across the Klast Sea rather than taking the merchant route, but then there's no option besides striking out across the desert.

As for getting ready, I've been half-expecting this to come up. Give me the rest of the day to get a few affairs in order knowing it'll be a while before I'm back, but I'm alright to set out as soon as dawn's light tomorrow. If that's agreeable to you, of course. You guys are calling the shots here.
    "

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Meira Sarmaer
    Fifth level Druid

Meira's eyes continue to glint with excitement as Tule describes the path he took and the possible paths they would have to take should they accept the commission. She spins toward the others. "That one! Let's do that! The year long trip! Just think of all the things we'll see!"

Show

13. - Top - End - #43

RangerGuy

master Liag might you know of someone at the docks that may be able to arrange passage for us?