New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default The Benefactor (IC)

The university at Nadirehs was renown throughout all nations as being one of the three epicenters of knowledge, with the others being the Red Cathedral in Retasque, an beacon of both religious and scientific scriptures and the Monastery of the four roads, the only neutral entity whose position at a crossroads of 3 nations & situated next to a massive river gave it unrivaled access to trade goods and passing knowledge.

Despite it's high standing in the world, the university didn't quite bear the regal or elegant features of an intellectual fortress, instead it resembled several small building with turrets and archways and extra levels added throughout the passage of time, each growing larger and more detailed the higher they went. This idea had been cleverly explained by a now long dead professor who stated, that as time passed and the universities presence and influence grew, it had needed to expand, but that by keeping the older structures, it showed how humble beginnings can grow into magnificent standings, though it was often whispered that the university simply never wanted to spend the coin to demolish the structures and rebuild properly.

The pale light of a rising moon illuminated the campus, the polished stones and numerous glass windows reflected this light around the courtyard giving enough light that even human could make out small details, despite the university technically being open at all hours, with only an hour till midnight the surroundings were empty, cold and quiet.

Ten minutes later a faint clomping echos through the night as a carriage pulled by a pair of massive horses swings out of the darkness and halts before the arched entrance to the universities courtyard.

"We're here", the driver calls into the carriage and opens the door to address four cloaked figures within, I was instructed to give you this upon arrival. Reaching into his belt he withdrew a bone scroll tube the white wax seal upon it is ornately painted, a silver quill embossed on a shield of gold.
    Last edited by Silverphantasm; 2017-06-26 at 09:43 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Benefactor (IC)

One of the figures rudely snatches the scroll with a manicured hand and looks at the seal.
    "Fantastic. Looks like this mysterious person is of the conception that 'the pen is mightier than the sword'."
    He scoffs at this.
    "Show me a corpse with an inkpen through its throat, and maybe I'll be a tad less disrespectful about it. Now, let's hurry this up. It's practically midnight."
    He looks around at the university and scowls, muttering something about stuck-up deans and their showy universities. He spares a quick glare at the other cloaked people, and shoves the scroll into the hands of the tallest one. He seems to expect them to read it aloud for him. As he waits for the person to open the scroll, he pulls back his hood, revealing a handsome face spoiled by his rude expression. His straight black hair almost reaches his eyes, and he quickly brushes it out of the way, then begins flattening his hair. He glances at the tall one expectantly.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

Cendrion

The last days had been... rough. But then, fortunately, they turned from rough to interesting. First, his freedom was purchased by someone, a benefactor of some sort... Well, if he was honest, Cendrion did not believe in such a concept. Most likely, this person was not really a philanthropist, but rather wants something back in return. But, if he was equally honest, the person had caught his curiosity. For just a small moment, Cendrion had thought that maybe his parents were behind it all, but he had quickly pushed away this thought, well knowing that it had risen from nothing than a set of feelings he had hidden orderly in a secret, and more importantly: locked, drawer in his mind.

When the carriage had picked him up, he found it empty, but did not think too much about it. But when the carriage halted, and he wanted to get out, he quickly found that they also picked up others. Without even putting thought into it, he fell back into his trained attitude, greeting the newcomer politely, but not without pride, introducing himself to each of them, when they each joined the ride, as:

"Cendrion Paddenbrook"

He took the opportunity to muster each of them during the short journey, trying not to stare at them, but to visually extract as much information as possible. The others also did not seem to know each other... Would they know what was to come? Impossible to say, unless someone brought up the topic. Patience, Cendrion. For once, be patient until information reveals itself. he thought by himself.

---

When the ride stops and they are given the scroll, he gracefully leaves the carriage and looks around in modest curiosity. He had never been here, and as such, he is not entirely sure how to behave. While trying to think of the right manners in such a location, his train of thoughts is interrupted by the rather graphic thought of someone stabbed by an inkpen. For just a slight moment, his right hand slightly moves, just as if he were to hold up his index finger and say "Actually...", but then he suppresses this urge in the last moment. At least he doesn't have to think too much about manners anymore, now that this ruffian has spoken. His glance follows the scroll to the tallest in the group, trying to find out whether the person knows what to do with it. Other than any of the two obvious choices: Opening it, or going inside and showing it to someone.
    Thanks, Rizban for the awesome avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

When Siobhan enters the carriage, she does not do so alone. Immediately behind her is an animal, about the size of a moderate-to-large dog - a wolverine. The wolverine has a saddle on its back and is clad in studded leather barding, and it growls lightly at the others. A simple gesture from the halfling cuts off the growl, and it lies down obediently at her seat. It continues to stare at them, black eyes full of malice.

She looks at the others curiously, tilting her head. "So many tall menfolk," she comments teasingly, a twinkle in her eyes.

When they arrive at their destination, she immediately climbs into the saddle, and the wolverine leaps out through the open door, Siobhan ducked down flat on its back. She lets out a clear high laugh.

5. - Top - End - #5

--- before the arrival, after Siobhan entered

Cendrion had offered his best Spock-eyebrow when the wolverine shuts up, swiftly taking back the hand which had closed itself around the hilt of the dagger on his belt, well knowing that the rapier (which was leaning against the backrest) was too long for this small room. Then, he recalled his posture and introduces himself, and asked for her name, if she did not tell them.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Rityr was quite intrigued by the message he'd received. He was starting to get tired of bodyguard work, and was at least interested in hearing what the benefactor had to offer. When the carriage came to pick him up, Rityr was more than a little surprised to see not just one other passenger, but three of them... and the biggest badger he'd ever seen. With an internal shrug and an external scowl, Rityr hauls himself aboard in silence.

When the other human in the party nabs the scroll from the driver, Rityr begins to form an opinion of the man. When the man unceremoniously thrusts the scroll at Rityr, those opinions solidify. "You might be accustomed to it, boy," he says to the much younger man. "But you're not paying me enough to read you bedtime stories."

As Rityr unfurls the scroll, a faint yellow light shines from it onto his face. "It's from him." he says as he reads. "He's invited us to his office, but it's some kind of riddle. We only have until midnight." Rityr extends the scroll to Cendrion to read. "I can't make much out of it."
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2017-06-27 at 01:48 AM.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

In the carriage, earlier: "I am Siobhan, and this is Jaerv." The halfling scratches the ears of the wolverine, smiling.

Outside: Siobhan reins in her mount, then rides over to Rityr, peering over his arm to look at the scroll. "A riddle? Let me see, let me see!" she says eagerly, reaching up to take it.

8. - Top - End - #8

The man flinches when the tall one mentions 'pay'.
    He had ignored everyone during the ride, and now shows a similar amount of respect - or lack thereof.
    "Someone just read the accursed scroll already. What's the riddle?"
    He seems rather annoyed that the mysterious benefactor couldn't even give straight instructions. While he waits, he examines his suuroundings more and grumbles.
    "I've seen better servant's quarters. This place is a dump. I hope we don't have to come back here often. If this is where he lives or is otherwise stationed, someone's gonna wake up with a third nostril, and it won't be natural."
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Cendrion without any discussion simply gives the scroll to Sioban.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfurling the scroll, Siobhan starts to read it aloud:

Quote Originally Posted by Silverphantasm View Post
    My dear friends,

Thank you ever so much for choosing to hear me out, if you would please quietly proceed to the base of the tallest tower whose shadow is within the courtyard at the precise hour of midnight, you will find an unlocked door, if you are to early or late you shall find a locked door. Regardless once you've past through the door you will be faced with a staircase which both rises and descends, please imagine yourselves as King Ferungid when you choose your path, the incorrect choice will be rather unpleasant. Once you've finished with these trivialities, feel free to enter my office, it is the first door on the right in the red hallway, once you are in my office I will be happy to conduct the rest of our business.

Yours cordially
    The Benefactor
    She pauses for a moment as she reaches the name of the king, frowning, before she finishes.

"I'm not sure I can remember who this 'King Ferungid' is..." she muses, rolling the scroll up and tapping her knee with it. "History isn't one of the subjects I studied."

Spoiler: Untrained Knowledge (history) check
    Show
    Can't get more than DC 10 info, but it may help.

(1d20+4)[5]

EDIT: Well, not with that roll.
    Last edited by Taelas; 2017-06-27 at 08:30 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

"Who in the Nine Hells is King Ferin-whatever?"
    He scowls even more, annoyed by the cryptic instructions. He does, though, start matching up shadows with towers, looking for one that matches the scroll's infernal riddle.
    "I've seen better riddles about old shoes.." he grumbles.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Siobhan glances at the one shorter of the two humans. "The tallest tower is the alchemy tower," she calls after him, pointing toward the far western corner. A moment later, she taps the wolverine with her heels, and guiding the animal with her knees, directs it in that general vicinity. Jaerv sets off, and near the tower, the halfling pulls the animal to a halt. "Stay!" she tells it, her voice stern, and Jaerv sits down on its haunches, staring at her with its black eyes. She reaches up to scratch it behind its ears, then turns to the tower.

"It should be this one? The spire adds a bit," she says, looking up the side.
    Last edited by Taelas; 2017-06-28 at 02:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

RedWizardGuy

As Siobhan examines the tower, she hear's a faint click from the door at the base, the door is of heavy worn oak with lighter faded bits of paint and polish that had worn away from the many times the door had been pushed closed.

Spoiler: If the door is opened
    Show
    Upon opening the door it glides near weightlessly outward, the hinges silent as the night, having recently been greased, an odor that is just detectable to people, but which produces a fairly stagnate smell to Jaerv.

A landing on a spiral staircase sits within the going left would eventually bring on to the top of the tower, though the 100ft structure indicated it would be a long dizzying walk to reach the summit, the right disappears into a black void, with no light source emanting from within, an unused but oil laden torch sits in a bracket nearby.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Silent as he searches his memory, Rityr perks up when he hears the rude one mangle the ancient king's name aloud. "Ah, right," he says. "Ferungid was an old dwarf king. His castle was upside-down like, so that he lived deep underground with the dungeons in the towers."

The paladin moves towards the alchemy tower and pulls open the door. Spotting the torch on the wall, Rityr reaches into his pocket for his flint and steel, and begins to light the torch. "We're to head down the staircase, then."
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2017-06-28 at 11:37 PM.
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

15. - Top - End - #15

As Rityr struggles to light a flame, Stiin reaches into a small pouch at his waist and pulls out a magical torch with a greenish flame. He arrogantly walks down the steps, with a sneering smile.
    "Handy things, Everburning Torches, you know. Never have to light 'em."
    Then his expression falls.
    "Expensive though."
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Cendrion

When two of his new colleagues (?) offered their parts to the riddle, Cendrion dropped part of his disguise to congratulate them:

"Good job, noticing the spire.
    Maybe it's a matter of perspective?"

The last part apparently was tongue-in-cheek and a follow up to her previous comment about size differences.

"Good thing at least someone payed attention in history class, eh? I was secretly hoping it to be the darker path. Looks much more exciting."

When a snarky comment is made, he grins behind his visage. The more people pay attention to a loud person, the less they payed attention to him. Which was a good thing.

"Presumably your financial misery is caused by your preference of accommodation that ... is not such a dump? Or was it a failed attempt of establishing a nostril making business?"
    Last edited by Centaurion; 2017-06-29 at 02:14 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Siobhan chuckles at the comment about perspective. "Down instead of up, huh?" she says softly, looking into the gloom. With a shrug, she again admonishes the wolverine to "Stay!" before she proceeds down the staircase.

On the way down, she looks up at Cendrion. "It was less a matter of me noticing it, as knowing it in advance," she confides in him. "When I was a student here, I was out at night all the time."

She frowns at the walls. "Can't say I've ever noticed the alchemy tower having a dungeon in the rafters, though."
    Last edited by Taelas; 2017-06-29 at 06:35 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

RedWizardGuy

As the group proceeds down the stairs, the nameless figure with the green flame leading the way, they pass several alcoves filled with shelves laden with glass jars and oiled pots, at a small landing nearly three turns down, is a doorway which leads to a hallway with 4 doors, two to either side, the room is fully lit and hued a light green from the emerald colored flame licking the torch, a small plaque above the door frame reads "Minerals, Metals, Fungi, & antidotes."

After another 3 turns down, there are two doorways each emanating their own bright yellow light. each leading to a hallway, the left option leads to a burgundy carpeted hallway, with rosewood hangings adorning the walls, while the other is of a well hewn stone floor, and has an ornate carving across the walls.

Despite the either the greenish hue emanating from the first figure, or the orange yellow emanating from behind the group, the two hallways are so well lit that no shadows are cast along the floor.
    Last edited by Silverphantasm; 2017-06-29 at 09:38 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

The man shoots a glare at the elf, and his perpetual scowl deepens. Then he turns his attention to the doors, and enters the rosewood hallway.
    "First door on the right in the red hallway, wasn't it?"
    He practically stomps down the hall on his way to the indicated door. He shoots the elf another glare, then goes to open the door. As he does so, he puts his torch away.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Siobhan shakes her head. "Wait!" she calls out. "That's not the right corridor!"

She points at the rough hewn stone corridor. "This is the right corridor."

21. - Top - End - #21

He scowls further.
    "The instructions clearly said to go in the red corridor, genius. Now stop insisting that reality is different from what it is."
    He confidently attempts to open the door, glaring at the rest of the group.
    Idiots he thinks to himself, although his expression shows his thoughts.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Cendrion

"I must agree, you are in the wrong corridor. Apparently, the last part of the riddle was indeed - a riddle. Or rather an illusion. So, I'd suggest you stay away from the door, because it might well be trapped."

23. - Top - End - #23

He stops with his hand on the handle, and groans.
    "Well, why didn't you say 'illusion' the first time?"
    He glares at the annoying child-thing. A halfy or something. He could never remember.
    "If you're all so smart, why don't you lead the way?"
    He practically spits out the last few words, his contempt for you all having increased.
    Last edited by Xanyo; 2017-06-29 at 01:24 PM.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

A crack starts in Rityr's composure as he says "We tried to. Twice." He turns and heads down the 'correct' path. "Stay in your place before you get hurt."
    Fluff | Crunch

25. - Top - End - #25

RedWizardGuy

As Rityr turns down the correct hallway, the illusions shimmer as though the image across them is nothing more than the reflection of a pool of water, rippling in the morning breeze, suddenly the colors and lights swirl and dissipate, leaving the green flame to reveal the dark stone room, and the natural orange flame to illuminate the burgandy and red of the 2nd hallway. The four doors in this hallway each have a bronze plaque on them, though only the closest one, which was old, but well polished could be read in the flickering light.

"Professor T. Suidacra"
    Philosophy, Illusionary Arts & Theoretical Magic

26. - Top - End - #26

He ignores the protests and strolls to the correct door as if he had been right all along. He scowls at the plaque as he reads it.
    "Philosophy? A bunch of useless mumbo jumbo! Illusory Arts? The art of the headache, more like. The only part of this title I like is 'Theoretical Magic'. That is, if he ever takes it out of the realm of theoretical and into the realm of practical."
    Last edited by Xanyo; 2017-06-29 at 10:04 PM.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Cendrion raises an eyebrow at seeing the apparently short temper of his ally-to-be unfurl again. Then, he steps forward towards Rityr and the door.

Looking at the others, he asks: "If we still have the time, I might just look for any wards on the door itself. But we would not want to let our benefactor wait, right?"

Apparently, he is as eager to see behind all the secrets of the door -- both which is hidden on it as what is hidden by it. But maybe it was nothing but a door?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I am not sure if we still have time left, particularly because of the typical player/DM/perceived time gap. So, if there's is still time, I'd look over the door for any mechanisms one could either require to open the door, or should avoid when doing so. Either take 20 if time permits for a result of 34 32. Or, here, have a few search checks:
    Search - (1d20+14)[33]-2 = 31.
    Search - (1d20+14)[25]-2 = 23.
    Search - (1d20+14)[32]-2 = 30.
    Search - (1d20+14)[30]-2 = 28.

Just as a gentle reminder, if there are secret doors, I am making such checks passively if near to them, because elf. I also realized my search mod on the sheet was missing the +2 from masterwork thieves' tools, I added it (12->14). Ugh, sorry about that last part, of course they do not help there...
    Last edited by Centaurion; 2017-06-30 at 07:18 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Even the cheery halfling seems to be losing her patience with the complaining human.

"Do you have anything useful to contribute?" she asks, clearly annoyed.

She turns back to watch Cendrion examine the door, stoically ignoring the human if he responds.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

"At least someone has some sense." says Rityr with a nod to Cendrion. "I don't trust anything about this set up. Take your time on those wards."
    Fluff | Crunch

30. - Top - End - #30

RedWizardGuy

Upon examination the door leading to Suidacra's office is significantly different from the others in the hall way, it bears no handle, or panel with which one could pull or push. The other doors have hinges on the right side, allowing them to swing outwards if opened, but the professor's door doesn't have hinges on either side, more over there doesn't even seem to be a crevice between the stone of the wall and the wood of the door.

Cendrion's further examination of other doors indicates that each use 3 rotary dials of numbers 1-6 as a means to unlock and open, but the dials on this door are held in place by faint glowing lines preventing other combinations from being selected.

Siobhan recognizes this as an arcane lock, a layer of magical enchantment applied to a physical one.

As Cendrion concludes his examination, his eye alights upon a oddly shaded piece of slate embedded in the floor.

Spoiler: Beneath the slate
    Show
    Beneath the piece of slate - a folded bit of parchment with an identical painted wax seal.

My friends you've all but finished, however, many a task is left incomplete upon its zenith,

To remove the magical protective elements, the word "open" must be spoken by four tongues in four different tongues at the same time, as for the dial,

The first number is equal to how many passengers the carriage delivered tonight.
    The second number is less than the first but 2 more than the third.
    The third number is not 1.

As with all good things in life, you have but a single chance, take your time and think, but not too long,
    I have tea, hot stew and fresh fruit waiting.

Professor Suidacra