New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Which should I pick? Sorcerer, Bard, or Wizard?

Yet another party comp advice question.

I'm starting a game with few friends and I was wondering what might be the better pick, so far we have:

* Human Rogue - Swashbuckler
    * Minotaur Druid - Twilight
    * Half-Orc Fighter
    * Half-Elf Warlock - Infernal Pact

The Rogue deals damage, the fighter tanks, the Druid heals and ensnares, and the Warlock Eldritch Blasts everything.

I was thinking either a Draconic Sorcerer Blaster, Diviner Wizard Controller, or Lore Bard for utility and party face

Thoughts?

Edit: I'm off to be a Wizard!
    Last edited by Eshfyre; 2017-08-06 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Decision!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Which should I pick? Sorcerer, Bard, or Wizard?

Quote Originally Posted by Eshfyre View Post

I'm starting a game with few friends and I was wondering what might be the better pick, so far we have:

* Half-Orc Fighter

The Rogue deals damage, the fighter tanks, the Druid heals and ensnares, and the Warlock Eldritch Blasts everything.

I was thinking either a Draconic Sorcerer Blaster, Diviner Wizard Controller, or Lore Bard for utility and party face

Thoughts?
    Youre party is definitely lacking a face man and aditional healer bard it up
    Skully boyfriend's lead to skully wendigo weddings.
    Spoiler: Linklele
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

3. - Top - End - #3

GnomeWizardGuy

* Half-Orc Fighter

Thoughts?
    Any of the choices work because your group is so well balanced already.

I would note that of the three the draconic blaster sorcerer puts up serious numbers (EMPOWER) and since you are a 5 man group there are very high odds of there being lots of foes to fight.

You also would be able to cast enchantment magic in social situations without arousing suspicion if you rolled a sorcerer with the subtle spell metamagic.

Sorcerers are very difficult to build because they aren't as flexible as wizards but they are by far my favorite class. If you're new to them or want some neat ideas you can read my guide underneath to give you a feel for what to expect and maybe understand what you you would be gaining or missing out on by playing/not playing a sorcerer.

Also what level are you guys?

EDIT: If your fighter or rogue are not eldritch knight/arcane trickster I advise you have a high int character (wizard).

Having a strategist and someone who is knowledgeable about many things comes in handy for groups.
    Last edited by TheUser; 2017-08-04 at 01:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Your party is Wise, Charismatic, and Strong.

Nobody is Smart.

Diviner Wizard. And go all in on in.

I'm talking Halfling Diviner Wizard with the Lucky feat AND the (Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races) racial feat Bountiful Luck.

NOBODY EVER ROLLS A 1!

You alter fate itself to ensure success.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheUser View Post
    Any of the choices work because your group is so well balanced already.

I would note that of the three the draconic blaster sorcerer puts up serious numbers (EMPOWER) and since you are a 5 man group there are very high odds of there being lots of foes to fight.

You also would be able to cast enchantment magic in social situations without arousing suspicion if you rolled a sorcerer with the subtle spell metamagic.

Sorcerers are very difficult to build because they aren't as flexible as wizards but they are by far my favorite class. If you're new to them or want some neat ideas you can read my guide underneath to give you a feel for what to expect and maybe understand what you you would be gaining or missing out on by playing/not playing a sorcerer.

Also what level are you guys?

EDIT: If your fighter or rogue are not eldritch knight/arcane trickster I advise you have a high int character (wizard).

Having a strategist and someone who is knowledgeable about many things comes in handy for groups.
    The party is starting at level 3 to fill out our backstories with more flavorful events. To be honest, I was leaning towards heavily towards Wizard or a little into Bard because I wanted to provide more utility to the team. My only worry is that with me going Wizard we'd lack a strong party face (our Warlock is less social and more "I want to play a Demon Mage")

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post

Nobody is Smart.

I'm talking Halfling Diviner Wizard with the Lucky feat AND the (Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races) racial feat Bountiful Luck.

NOBODY EVER ROLLS A 1!

Funny enough, I was considering a Halfling Diviner for the Lucky Rolls

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

In a similar situation I played a vhuman bard with healer feat and 14int, with a one level dip to wizard (at second level)

Face, int skills, (with Jack of all trades for the skills you don't pick). 1st level rituals, wizard scrolls, and support all covered...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

The only thing your party lacks is a dedicated cast-that-spell-we-need-for-this-specific-circumstance character. I'd go with wizard.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Personally, I'd play something like an Illusionist or Enchanter Wizard, and put a decent score in Cha as well. Take the Noble or Courtier background to give you some social skills so that you can help be the face, but then you can still use your Int to fill the smart-guy/gal role.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Id say go lore bard and take alot of wizard spells and make him alot similar to a wizard but pick up some healing and support stuff as well so you have back ups in case your druid goes down or runs out of slots. In my experience you can never have enough healers. That said if you use unearthed arcana favored soul sorcerer can fill a similar role just without inspiration.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Any reason why Cleric didn't make the short list? I think the high AC, extra healing, and spirit guardian AoE will round out your team well. Knowledge domain grabs you identify, which also fills an important gap in your party.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Dankus Memakus View Post
    Id say go lore bard and take alot of wizard spells and make him alot similar to a wizard but pick up some healing and support stuff as well so you have back ups in case your druid goes down or runs out of slots. In my experience you can never have enough healers. That said if you use unearthed arcana favored soul sorcerer can fill a similar role just without inspiration.
    Good advice as well
    Skully boyfriend's lead to skully wendigo weddings.
    Spoiler: Linklele
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Frankly, with that group set up, I'd go with Lore Bard to act as the glue to bind the rest of the group together in a supporter role. Maybe with a Protector Aasimar or Half-Elf for the race. The Protector Aasimar race gives you an extra option for healing in it's racial abilities, as well as boosting your movement capabilities. The Half-Elf would give you better stats and flexibility in applying those stats.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temperjoke View Post
    Frankly, with that group set up, I'd go with Lore Bard to act as the glue to bind the rest of the group together in a supporter role. Maybe with a Protector Aasimar or Half-Elf for the race. The Protector Aasimar race gives you an extra option for healing in it's racial abilities, as well as boosting your movement capabilities. The Half-Elf would give you better stats and flexibility in applying those stats.
    My only concert with bard is that they already have a warlock. I'm unsure whether the warlock will be covering CHA skills and acting as the face, though being an EB warlock means he certainly has the invocations to spare.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Lee View Post
    My only concert with bard
    Did you... I mean...

C'mon.

That had to be intentional, right?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Lee View Post
    My only concert with bard is that they already have a warlock. I'm unsure whether the warlock will be covering CHA skills and acting as the face, though being an EB warlock means he certainly has the invocations to spare.
    Well, the OP already mentioned that the warlock was more interested in being a demon mage rather than a party face. Plus, even if sharing party face duties, the bard has more skill and support options which the party has a need for.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, the OP already mentioned that the warlock was more interested in being a demon mage rather than a party face. Plus, even if sharing party face duties, the bard has more skill and support options which the party has a need for.
    Ah, overlooked that part. In that case yeah, lore bard is a good choice. Not that wizard can't play party face, but bard is better suited.
    Last edited by Easy_Lee; 2017-08-04 at 06:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Depending on how well rounded you wanted to be at level 3 you could be Bard 1 - know cleric 1 - wizard 1. (rest in lore bard)

You would talk and strategize and support however needed.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dankus Memakus View Post
    I was thinking Aasimar too. I like the flavor of a Harp-playing Bard from heavens above

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionXXVII View Post
    Any reason why Cleric didn't make the short list? I think the high AC, extra healing, and spirit guardian AoE will round out your team well. Knowledge domain grabs you identify, which also fills an important gap in your party.
    I don't consider the character I'm thinking about playing being particularly devoted to a God.
    Last edited by Eshfyre; 2017-08-04 at 07:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

in terms of combat balance the only thing the party needs is a buff/debuff. bards have great both - with spells like bane & heroism.

consider going variant human and taking magic initiate @ 1st level so you can get access to Bless, which is one of the better buffs.

remember, debuffs get a save, but buffs always work!
    Last edited by FabulousFizban; 2017-08-04 at 07:49 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I'd recommend wizard. Lore bards are fantastic, but your group should have face skills covered by the rogue swashbuckler. Wizards have great utility with ritual casting and ability to prepare a wide variety of spells. Healing shouldn't be a reason for choosing a class. Druid can get it done with healing word and good berry. Use should rests with HD heals. If someone takes healer feat, even better.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

* Half-Orc Fighter

Thoughts?
    Bard has an edge in several aspects because of healing, complementary control to pair with Druid, ability to cherry pick some spells.
    Wizard has an edge in adventuring simply because of all the ritual casting and the more versatile list. But how much this is true depends on the DM. It also can take care of INT skills naturally.
    Sorcerer is much more narrow but can shine in the few roles you choose thanks to Metamagic and paired spells.

All are solid, the only thing with Sorcerer is that will be enticed to specialize in one role because of low number of spells and metamagic learned. Wizard is the easiest because you can change prepared spells. Bard is the one that proposes the most mechanics to play with overall and the most "features" (spells but also better skills, short-rest one-time buffs with Bardic Inspiration, better healing with Song of Rest, better resilience with Countercharm...).

Honestly?
    1. Pick whatever class you like best for whatever reason, all will be solid.
    2. If you don't have any preference in playstyle or "tactical difficulty"...
    - If you think your DM will be generous and adapt the loot to fit your wishes, pick Wizard.
    - Otherwise, go Lore Bard and just pick the INT skills so that they are still covered. This is the best bang for your buck if you cannot "count" on the DM. :)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

That spellbook has pages go be filled. Wizards can solve problems

24. - Top - End - #24

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post

Nobody is Smart.

NOBODY EVER ROLLS A 1!

That Swashbuckler will be an amazing Erol Flynn with a Lucky Halfling there to back them up.

This sounds incredibly fun.