New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Who else hates bugs?

Ok so IMO if you are a insect, arachnid, etc I will not like you. (Also I have severe arachnophobia so that doesn't help.) So I was wondering if anyone else hates bugs?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Who else hates bugs?

No. I like honey, and I'm grateful we have it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

There's plenty of people who hate bugs, I think.

I personally don't. If I find a bug in my house, I catch it and put it outside. I wouldn't be proud of hating living creatures for just being what they are, or killing them out of convenience.

However, I realise those feelings come from a position of luxury. Where I live, no bug is really dangerous. There aren't any bug plagues, and you'll only see an infestation if you do not clean up for about five years. I do not have any severe allergies either. So, at most, bugs are annoying.
    I understand that if you live in, say, the middle of the Amazon, it's completely different. If there are bugs everywhere, always, and they can kill you in a moment's notice (or after a prolonged period of sickness) I can understand hating them. I probably would, too.

4. - Top - End - #4

I don't hate bugs, and if I see one that isn't bothering me at the moment there's a good chance I would just leave it alone. Although I still might kill it, and I definitely would if it is a cockroach.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    There aren't any bug plagues, and you'll only see an infestation if you do not clean up for about five years.
    I live in a region of the US plagued by Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs(One of those red areas). They're pretty much the only bug in my region that I'll go out of my way to dispose of in a deadly manner.

My hate of them began last year when we took the air conditioner out of my parents' bedroom. There were literally hundreds of them packed in the tracks of the window. They were packed in there as tightly as possible. Presumably as protection from the winter cold. I took the butt end of a pencil and slid it down the track and they came pouring out into the house. I did the same on the other side. We tried to catch as many as possible, but their house had issues with them all winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

There's plenty of people who hate bugs, I think.

I personally don't. If I find a bug in my house, I catch it and put it outside. I wouldn't be proud of hating living creatures for just being what they are, or killing them out of convenience.
    The problem is that they get in in the first place. I think I need to start looking into decommissioned submarines and spaceships
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't say I find them objectionable on moral grounds, but spiders are evil creatures that have no business residing outside the demon realm from whence they came. I refuse to believe something so horrible evolved naturally on this earth instead of being designed by some malicious entity. It's like every facet of their being is intentionally designed to make me hate and fear them. The most terrifying creatures in fantasy are giant spiders, bar none.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

I hate horseflies, mosquitos and blackflies, because they're really annoying pests in a farm environment. Otherwise, eh, leave me and mine alone and I'll leave you alone. I have no compunctions about grabbing the insecticide if they become any sort of problem in the household, though.

I do like spiders (in nature), because they get rid of the more objectionable bugs.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I find bugs fascinating, and if I see a unique looking one, I will pick it up and observe it closer.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

While I fear many bugs, I adore others.

Fireflies on a summer night reinforce my belief in magic and my love for the natural world.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

11. - Top - End - #11

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    The problem is that they get in in the first place.
    They just want to cuddle

12. - Top - End - #12

I don't hate Bugs. In fact my nickname among my friends since I was 13 is Bug (and many variations of it).

The only 2 bugs I cant stand are cockroaches and wetas. Wetas probably wouldnt have bothered me if it werent for my dad taking me to a museum when I was 6, showing me the display of giant wetas and telling me that he's seen them getting into the house we were staying at and they will climb in your bed and bite you. Im pretty sure nowadays he was just teasing me, but it sparked a lifelong disgust and fear of them, even though they are in a different country, and I never actually saw a real one.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    I can't say I find them objectionable on moral grounds, but spiders are evil creatures that have no business residing outside the demon realm from whence they came. I refuse to believe something so horrible evolved naturally on this earth instead of being designed by some malicious entity. It's like every facet of their being is intentionally designed to make me hate and fear them. The most terrifying creatures in fantasy are giant spiders, bar none.
    Yes, this. Spiders are awful. The bigger the spider, the worse it is.

Though gigantic swarms of small spiders also deserve a special place in hell.

14. - Top - End - #14

I think jumping spiders are cute though... Same with tarantulas.

I have mixed feelings on bugs. I hate flies and think they're disgusting, but I find millipedes adorable and become very sad when I see one that got stepped on. Termites and cockroaches need to die in a fire, but I find the little black ants that don't bite interesting. I've changed by stance on bees over the years, used to be I hated them but now I actually like them a bit.

Spiders though, unless they are biting spiders are great. Quite honestly I think some spider species are cuter then common pet animals like dogs. They aren't cuter then rabbits, but very little is.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

15. - Top - End - #15

However, I realise those feelings come from a position of luxury. Where I live, no bug is really dangerous. There aren't any bug plagues, and you'll only see an infestation if you do not clean up for about five years. I do not have any severe allergies either. So, at most, bugs are annoying.
    I understand that if you live in, say, the middle of the Amazon, it's completely different. If there are bugs everywhere, always, and they can kill you in a moment's notice (or after a prolonged period of sickness) I can understand hating them. I probably would, too.
    Basically this.

I make an exception for flies but then, they're not just annoying but also extremely unhygienic and spread nasty stuff everywhere. We'd definitely be better off without flies in our lives.

I am particularly fond of spiders, especially because they are very effective at fly hunting.
    Last edited by tensai_oni; 2017-08-08 at 07:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I generally don't mind spiders. I have find memories of picking fishflies (also known as Mayflies) off of cars and onto spider webs at a cabin village we were at for the week. The spiders were really large when we left.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I am fine with bugs, as long as they do not touch me. The feeling of many legs and an exoskeleton on my skin generally causes a minor freak out. I'll only avoid killing/slapping it off if I note that it is a species that has earned my friendliness. Dragonflies, butterflies, caterpillars, and stinkbugs all fall into this category.

Cockroaches are an exception. (especially the big, fast ones). I have a much more active hatred for them, and will attempt to kill them whenever I see them, even if they aren't on my skin or clothes.

I certainly understand why one would hate bugs. They're kind of disgusting, and many of them spread diseases and general filth.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-08-12 at 01:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

furious Re: Who else hates bugs?

I hate bugs very much.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

biggrin Re: Who else hates bugs?

Also, I hate bugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    ....Also, I hate fanfictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Eye View Post
    Also, I hate sports...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I love sports.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon? Can someone play a Wizard with a magic wand, or a warrior in armor, wielding a longbow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember back when your race was your class, you damned whippersnappers!"
    Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Some bugs are beautiful. When a butterfly flutters by, I try to stop and enjoy it.

Some bugs are useful. Bees make honey and pollinate flowers. Ladybugs eat aphids. Wasps, spiders, dragonflies and others eat garden pests.

Some bugs should simply be left alone. Spiders, scorpions, millipedes, etc. I don't bother them; they don't bother me.

Some bugs are annoying. Mosquitoes, horseflies, chiggers, etc. I don't like them, but I don't hate them, either. They're just annoying, like bad traffic, stepping in mud, or twisting an ankle.

But I grew up with lots of camping and spending time in the woods. I recognize that many people have emotional aversions to bugs, and I sympathize.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I generally like insects, arachnids, and other things that fall under the umbrella of 'bug'. The near-total dearth of them this year in my area of residence is a matter of some
    concern. I avoid killing or disturbing them whenever possible.

Mosquitoes, ticks, and other sundries that are trying to eat me are an exception to this, and I'll kill them without batting an eye. In a horticultural context I will also destroy potato beetles, and other such crop-devouring arthropods.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

22. - Top - End - #22

RedWizardGuy

My like/dislike is entirely based on whether the creature has any degree of common sense or self preservation. The correct response by a small animal to an absolutely huge one swinging an arm/swatter/newspaper at it should be to flee the scene or hunker down out of the way. If said bug does that, I have no problem. I am generally afraid of spiders, but if having a newspaper waved in its general direction sees it fleeing for the darkest corner available, I am willing to live and let live.

It is ones that refuse to sod off, or even worse, summon others of is kind to assist in annoying you that drive me mad. Flies, wasps, ants, you can all die in a most unpleasant manner.

23. - Top - End - #23

I have a weird unnatural fear of things that fly and sting, so wasps and bees and such. We've got heaps of them around and they freak me out, like cold sweat and running for shelter. It's only a recent thing that's come on.

I know, generally speaking, bees just plain don't care about people and they've got more important things to do, but whenever I see one I get a little uneasy... I am not a flower please go somewhere else.

The wasps on the other hand are aggressive attack wasps that want to kill me! They know I don't like them and buzz right up into my face and hover there menacingly, daring me to swat at them, so they can sting me and say that I started it. They even get into the house! Frequently my wife will come home to me locked in a room or a room cordoned off.

It makes me feel a little pathetic. I'm from a rural area in Australia, I'm a former soldier, I've been doing martial arts for 25 years, I will actively hunt down venomous snakes and I used to rehabilitate large aggressive dogs for a living. But if I hear a buzzing noise too close to me I will start flapping my arms around in near-hysterics.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Off by one bugs are the worst.
    Geyr nú Garmr mjök
    fyr Gnipahelli,
    festr mun slitna
    en freki renna
    Now Garm howls loud
    before Gnipahellir
    The fetters will burst,
    and the wolf run free

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peccavi View Post
    I'm from a rural area in Australia, I'm a former soldier, I've been doing martial arts for 25 years, I will actively hunt down venomous snakes and I used to rehabilitate large aggressive dogs for a living. But if I hear a buzzing noise too close to me I will start flapping my arms around in near-hysterics.
    They're probably my most disliked insect. The British poet Pam Ayres summed them up best:

Spoiler: THE WASP HE IS A NASTY ONE
    Show
    The wasp he is a nasty one
    He scavenges and thrives,
    Unlike the honest honey bee
    He doesn't care for hives.
    He builds his waxy nest
    Then brings his mates from near and far
    To sneak into your house
    When you have left the door ajar.

Then sniffing round for jam he goes,
    In every pot and packet,
    Buzzing round the kitchen
    In his black and yellow jacket.
    If with a rolled-up paper
    He should spot you creeping near
    He will do a somersault
    And sting you on the ear!

You never know with wasps
    You can't relax, not for a minute,
    Whatever you pick up – Look out!
    A wasp might still be in it.
    You never even know
    If there's a wasp against your chest,
    For wasps are very fond
    Of getting folded in your vest.

And he always comes in summer.
    In the winter-time he's gone
    When you never go on Picnics
    And you've put a jersey on.
    I mean, what other single comment
    Causes panic and despair
    Like someone saying, ‘Keep still!
    There's a wasp caught in your hair!’

But in a speeding car
    He finds his favourite abode,
    He likes poor Dad to swat like mad
    And veer across the road.
    He likes to watch Dad's face,
    As all the kids begin to shout,
    ‘Dad! I don't like wasps!
    Oh where's he gone, Dad? Get him out!’

And I'd like to make a reference
    To all the men who say
    ‘Don't ANTAGONIZE IT
    And the wasp will go away,’
    For I've done a little survey
    To see if it will or won't,
    And they sting you if you hit them
    And they sting you if you don't.

As we step into the sunshine
    Through the summers and the springs,
    Carrying our cardigans
    And nursing all our stings,
    I often wonder, reaching for the blue bag
    Just once more,
    If all things have a purpose
    What on earth can wasps be for?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-08-15 at 02:23 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

As a general rule I don't hate bugs, but I also don't really want them around me and will make an effort to get rid of any that get into my home, whether by putting them outside or killing them.

There are certain species that I do hate, though. Cockroaches top the list, and I will try to kill any that I find indoors. Mosquitoes and flies are not far behind. Mosquitoes I hate because of the biting of course, to say nothing of the diseases they can carry. Flies are just like the most obnoxious troll creatures ever. Try to ignore one that's in the room with you? It'll fly right up in your face or buzz close to your ears. Try to chase it away? It'll go into hiding for a few minutes, then start again when you give up hunting it.

Bees, wasps, etc. I have a healthy caution around since I don't want to get stung. Other than that, it's pretty much live and let live for me.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Flies are just like the most obnoxious troll creatures ever. Try to ignore one that's in the room with you? It'll fly right up in your face or buzz close to your ears.
    The worst is when one flies up your nose. That happens to me once in a while and I HATE it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TwoLegsArmchair View Post
    The worst is when one flies up your nose. That happens to me once in a while and I HATE it.
    Fortunately I can't remember that happening to me. They seem to prefer going after my eyes and ears. I think they like seeing me smack myself trying to swat them away.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I hate wasps but that's about it. Flys and ants are annoying. But spiders? Great. I mean I don't love them but I think they are very useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    I'm sure someone will refute this with reference to some longsword maneuver in Altdeutsch that I've never heard of than cuts bodies or pierces legs, but I've been a Marine, a nationally rated fencer, a dabbler in rapier fighting and a medic. I feel qualified to make some broadly correct statements about trauma and wounds.

30. - Top - End - #30

MonkGuy

Lots of bugs I like, and most of the rest I'm ambivilent to. However some really, well, bug me:

* Slugs. They keep coming into my house and crawling all over the livingroom carpet, or worse, all over the kitchen worktop, and that's just gross.

* Slugs again, and snails and white butterflies. Never used to dislike them. Then I started growing broccoli, and now they can all go die in a fire.

* Wasps. I know they're ecologically useful. Can they please go and be ecologically useful somewhere that isn't right in my face or where I'm eating?

* Gooseberry Sawflies. I have gooseberry bushes in my guarden. If I'm not vigilent (which at this time of the year means checking them every day and picking off their catterpillars), they can completely defoliate a bush in a couple of weeks. (Well, probably longer, but once they get going it seems like that).

* Craneflies/daddy longlegs. Especially when they get inside a lampshade and can't get out.

* Mosquitoes and other biting flies. One of the few bugs I'll kill on sight.

On the other hand, I like spiders (and will feed them any of the above to them when I catch them), and woodlice/pillbugs, milipedes etc are cute, and I'll always rescue them if they get into my house.
    Last edited by Wardog; 2017-08-26 at 02:56 PM.