New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Other Characters as Vampires

Since we know, that Vampires are the Personification of their Hosts worst aspects, I thought, it might be fun to speculate, how other Characters might be as Vampires.

Roy: Well, the main Source of his Anger is already dead and the other one has to be killed anywhay. The worst, I could imagine, would be that he would try to control his party through fear and abuse them, because of his frustration about their unreliability.

Haley: Would sell Elan and become a lone Thief, that doesn't trust anyone and does everything for money.

Elan: I've got no idea. Maybe he'd be Tarquin or Nale.

V: We've already kinda seen that.

Belkar: Similar.

Mr. Scruffy: Would be a beast, that kills everything.

Hinjo: I've also don't have an idea about this one.

Blackwing: Greedy Thief in search for anything shiny and willing to do anything to get it or defend it.

O-Chul: Maybe he'd get back to being a cynical thief. Lots of Thiefs here.

MitD: No idea.

Miko Miyazaki: Maybe she'd form her own cult of disciplined Vampires.

Celia: She didn't got much worse than nagging, so I'm also not sure about her.

Eugene: Even more hedonistic.

Lord Shojo: Maybe he'd be like what Miko accused him of being before his death.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Other Characters as Vampires

We have already seen Roy as a vampire

Does this mean living Roy hates cheese, or just Gouda?
    Last edited by goto124; 2017-08-08 at 12:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think Elan might actually stay himself.
    Either because he already did take his „worst day”- which could easily be related to meeting his dad -to heart, so that the vampire wouldn't be much different (basically Elan acting like a vampire), or- more likely -he and his memories are so annoying that the vampire spirit (almost*) immediately leaves the building, resulting in pretty much the same.

*Well, considering the interaction with the host happens at the speed of thought it could appear like a long time for the spirit.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Roy's vampire would start trying to take levels in wizard, agreeing with Eugene that power is everything and Roy was an idiot to ignore the teaching of an 11th+ level wizard to follow a silly fighter tradition.
    Even the wind will know agony.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Slightly different take on Belkar: his vampire is a coward that does his best to avoid being noticed, barely speaking but as quick to kurder anything that gets near him from the shadows. With absolutely no style about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Slightly different take on Belkar: his vampire is a coward that does his best to avoid being noticed, barely speaking but as quick to kurder anything that gets near him from the shadows. With absolutely no style about it.
    Belkar's vampire would have the wisdom to cast his 1st-level Ranger spells, which I think would lead to it actually using tactics similar to his fight with Miko but for every fight. It would be a lot more pragmatic, basically. Can vampires rage? I can see the vampire as a "Belkar-served-cold" kinda deal.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Present 2.0 View Post
    Since we know, that Vampires are the Personification of their Hosts worst aspects, I thought, it might be fun to speculate, how other Characters might be as Vampires.

Roy: Well, the main Source of his Anger is already dead and the other one has to be killed anyway. The worst, I could imagine, would be that he would try to control his party through fear and abuse them, because of his frustration about their unreliability.
    I don't know about this. I think his darkest moment might have been when his younger brother died. We have seen that he still thinks about it, and is bothered by it. That, on top of his problems with his father, might make his vampire very anti-wizard/arcane caster, as well as possibly over protective towards children (or, at least, any child that looks like his dead brother)...Not sure how the vampire would deal with his sister though... Maybe just make her a vampire too?

As for the rest of the Order:

There is a strong possibility of a Haley vampire being obsessed with wealth and secrets, or else it would focus on some part of the day that her mother died (I think her darkest moment was either the day her mother died, or the day she lost all the gold she had amassed to rescue her father with). I don't think she would care about Elan that much, at least at first. From a story stand point, the vampire may just fall for him too (Vampire falling in love with a handsome/beautiful hero). Or, at least, Elan could try to use that to his advantage. As a side note, I think the vampire spirit would probably look a bit like Dark Mistress Nightingale ...Although I wonder how it would handle all of the fragments of Haley's personality. That might lead to an all out war in her head space (which would probably be fun to watch ).

Elan's darkest moment might have been Nale's death, so his vampire self would probably seek revenge against his father (and the empire he and his friends are building), who probably would not be happy with the progression of the story ("What do you mean you became a villain?! At worst, you were suppose to become an anti-hero! And you don't want to join me!? How dare you! This is not the proper story line for this sort of thing young man!"). And yes, I think Vampire Elan would be a villain, albeit one not tied to tradition, and might very well take over the Western Continent for himself (to "help" it, of course)

While we have seen an evil V, I don't think it reflects V's current darkest moment. I think V's darkest moment was when they realized exactly what they did with the familicide spell, and all the horror that entails. The vampire spirit might then try to atone for what happened, or go after the fiends for offering the deal. Or dig deep into necromancy to try and undo some of the damage. Blackwing would probably stick around to keep an eye on things, at least for a little while.

As for Belkar, that one is a bit more difficult. Barring any unknown dark moments or hidden depths, his darkest moment might have been either Shojo's death (one of the few deaths he has a strong reaction to), at the end of his time being cursed (when he had the fever dream), or when Durkon was vamped (again, one of the few deaths he was upset about, with this one being more personal, and my personal favorite for darkest moment). I think the vampire would be obsessed with becoming more powerful (technically, he was at a disadvantage during all three of these events, with two having seen him being particularly weak/vulnerable), and would be a strong team player, who tended to form strong bonds with companions. He would also tend to be protective of those companions.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm...Interesting question...A Vampire is someone's worst day personified, but they're more then that...They're them if they never grew past their worst day. Essentially, A Vampire is "You, but Evil, and sans any character development." So, for instance, Vampire!Belkar would basically just be regular Belkar, but missing even the slight hints of good will towards others that he's recently started showing. Roy's Vampire would be, as OP stated, all of Roy's former frustration and anger towards his party, the kind that he normally uses sarcasm to cope with aed led him to do the most Evil thing he's ever done, namely, abandoning Elan to possible death. He'd...actually probably be a lot like Tarquin. A controlling jerk who punishes harshly or even kills anyone who refuses to fall in line. Kinda like Roy in this strip, but to a far greater extent.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    We have already seen Roy as a vampire

Does this mean living Roy hates cheese, or just Gouda?
    Surely it means living Roy likes Gouda (at least as far as Haley knows), since his vampire version would effectively be him? Don't forget that nobody in the Order had any idea how vampires worked at that point in the story, so as far as Haley knew, a vampire had the same likes and desires as the living person but with an added "I have to drink fresh blood to survive" urge. Note that she also had a very Roy-centric view of how he'd react as a mummy or a shadow, too.

As for the original question: I really wonder how vampire-Elan would work. The worst day we've ever seen him have was when Therkla got killed, and even then he didn't lose himself enough to just kill Kubota rather than bringing him in for trial. I can't help but think of the "Meet the Pyromancer" video from TF2, though--maybe V-Elan would basically be his same almost childlike self, believing that he's helping the people he meets rather than killing them for their blood?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    As for the original question: I really wonder how vampire-Elan would work. The worst day we've ever seen him have was when Therkla got killed, and even then he didn't lose himself enough to just kill Kubota rather than bringing him in for trial.
    Hmm....The realization that his family isn't going to get magically fixed might qualify. A vampiric transmogrification could go along the lines of "Well you just haven't been trying! You don't even know how to try! 'Support' guys somehow manage to pursue everyone's goals except their own." And the end result could be a vampire who does what's best to promote harmony among the people around him. Whether they like it or not, and whether their idea of harmony agrees with his or not. And where dominating or vampirizing troublemakers into behaving is considered harmony-inducing. As is executing unreliable thralls.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Hmm....The realization that his family isn't going to get magically fixed might qualify. A vampiric transmogrification could go along the lines of "Well you just haven't been trying! You don't even know how to try! 'Support' guys somehow manage to pursue everyone's goals except their own." And the end result could be a vampire who does what's best to promote harmony among the people around him. Whether they like it or not, and whether their idea of harmony agrees with his or not. And where dominating or vampirizing troublemakers into behaving is considered harmony-inducing. As is executing unreliable thralls.
    Sounds...A lot like Tarquin, actually: "There must be some sense of order — personal, political, or dramatic — and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will." More altruistic and empathic, maybe, but still an "Ends-Justify-The-Means." Evil Control Freak-type.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chei View Post
    Can vampires rage?
    They can, but the lack of a Constitution score makes it less effective than it generally is for living barbarians.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Sounds...A lot like Tarquin, actually: "There must be some sense of order — personal, political, or dramatic — and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will." More altruistic and empathic, maybe, but still an "Ends-Justify-The-Means." Evil Control Freak-type.
    Well, Elan was the inspiration for Tarquin, so I guess this isn't too surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    They can, but the lack of a Constitution score makes it less effective than it generally is for living barbarians.
    Specifically, not having a Constitution score means they can't benefit from the Constitution bonus that raging gives (including the additional hit points), and their Constitution modifier is always 0 so the rage only lasts for the base three rounds.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Specifically, not having a Constitution score means they can't benefit from the Constitution bonus that raging gives (including the additional hit points), and their Constitution modifier is always 0 so the rage only lasts for the base three rounds.
    That is pretty funny. Kinda seems like barbarians would be one of the weirdest classes to assign vampirism to, both mechanically and otherwise. Or maybe druids, I don't know.

I wonder if any of the Order would actually spawn Good (or at least Neutral) vampires? I won't summon the banana because they're already here, but did Rich suggest that vampires could be other alignments?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder if any of the Order would actually spawn Good (or at least Neutral) vampires? I won't summon the banana because they're already here, but did Rich suggest that vampires could be other alignments?
    The possibility exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I think everyone is getting way too hung up on "What If's" that would have essentially led to Malack not being in the story the way that he needed to be in the story. The role required was for an evil vampire cleric to make friends with Durkon, so that later they could turn on each other; if he wasn't evil, and he wasn't a cleric, he wouldn't have been in the story at all. Maybe there are other vampires out there doing other things, being Good and living in harmony with the world. Don't care. Don't need them for this story.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

That is pretty funny. Kinda seems like barbarians would be one of the weirdest classes to assign vampirism to, both mechanically and otherwise. Or maybe druids, I don't know.

BY D&D rules, they can't and, while Rich is usually partial to humanising the stereotypical "Evil" Races, he tends to make an exception for inherently magical beings such as demons, angels, and, presumably, vampires.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2017-08-10 at 12:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Interesting. Well, judging by Durkon, a good person can still be the template for a horrifically evil vampire spirit, so it's not like anyone in the Order has a better chance of becoming an eventually-good vampire. I'm assuming that all vampires at least start out Evil, being born of negative energy as they are, to say nothing of only having the worst memories of the template.

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    BY D&D rules, they can't and, while Rich is usually partial to humanising the stereotypical "Evil" Races, he tends to make an exception for magical beings such as demons, angels, and, presumably, vampires.
    Yeah, we don't seem to have a noteworthy example of an outsider or other supernatural creature that defies its alignment. Though as the Banana relayed, it is possible.