New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

Fine. But we will also need a better reason than simple money. Miho may just want to settle the matter with us, rather than raise a fuss over finding his spawn.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

"That's a good point," Anna replied, "Regardless of what it is, Miho may try to settle his childe's debts. We could try to convince him Mobius is no longer a fledgling, and it's better he's settling with me than someone else. Is there anything he was really good at? Maybe he's to perform some kind of service for us?"

Anna chewed her lip in thought.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

I suggest blood. Again.

She holds up a hand to forestall comment.

As a member of the Invictus, it is only right that I inform my superiors that someone has been poaching in my territory. However, we suggest that I am not certain it was Möbius. I know only that it closely matches him, and ask to know where he is to verify the information, and if neccesasry, settle with the boy myself for playing with my dolls. It also covers my contacting you, and if we have been watched, why I have been the offices of the détective here.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Anna nods.

"Good idea," she replied, "we could probably use that as our cover story for the rest of them too, if they ask."

"Is there anything else we need to cover? Or shall we start setting meetings?" she asked.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"That should do I think. If you are comfortable with this, we may as well get on with it."

"One more thing, how late could you remain here when we are done this night? I would have you meet my ghoul. He will be able to handle any daytime tasks we require."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Once the others leave, Karl gets down to a bit of preparation. Before he regathers his equipment, the ancient German Haunt begins researching information regarding Mobius' apartment. Simple google map search and cross checking the neighborhood brings up that The Western Addition is still Ordo Dracul territory, but deeper knowledge requires some digging. Within moments of staring at his computer, Karl wishes that he had Gabriel's contacts to rely on.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So Karl can roll Int + Academics -2 for lack of appropriate resources to gain further information about the historically relevant information and current legal ownership of Mobius' old digs

************************************************** *********************************************

As Anna and Estella stepped out of Karl's office, Anna slid her cellphone out of her pocket, and pulled up her old Sire's contact, simply labeled "Tanaka" in her phone. It was not often that she reached out to Kenji Tanaka for help, and though her relationship with the Elder was amicable, it was rare that his favors were without a price. Anna weighed the cost of the phone call with the importance of her new mission, and pressed call.

Spoiler: OOC @Thunder
    Show
    Go ahead and post IC. I'll let your post set the tone for Anna's working relationship with her Sire. I'm not terribly in love with how they set the rules for Mentor in 2E. Depending on what Anna asks of Tanaka, he may ask for recompense. Because of this, I suspect even if they have a relatively good relationship there is some area of disagreement or tension between the two characters. I'll let you post OOC if you disagree to this thought.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl digs in, prepared to be disappointed. It was far from guaranteed that he'd find anything of use, but prudence demanded an attempt.

Show
    Int+Acad-2: (7d10)[9][2][1][9][1][10][6](38)
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: OOC Redux
    Show
    Nice, rolling ten again (7d10)[1][7][1][3][10][9][5](36)
    Last edited by Daishain; 2017-09-08 at 09:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

The phone rang two and a half times before it was picked up, and Anna heard her sire's greeting over the phone.

"Hello Kenji, it's Anna," she said, "are you free to talk? It'll only take a moment."

(assuming he says yes)

"I'm going to schedule a meeting with Miho," she paused, "outside of meeting in Elysium, is there anything I should know which will help me avoid getting myself killed?"
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Estella will take the time while Anna is on the phone to message Gabrielle.

Hello, darling. I trust you are doing well?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

A few quick searches bring up a good amount of information. A google search allows Karl to observe the property from satellite imaging.

The building is a relatively old fashioned Victorian two story apartment; likely with different tenants on each floor. There is a garage under the building, rather than a side driveway. But there is a narrow walkway that goes around the building, hidden from the front by what looks like a large potted fern. There is a fire escape around this side, attached to the first and second floors.

Based on the front image, and Mobius' address being listed Apt B, it appears that Möbius lived on the second floor.

Beyond this, Karl is able to determine that the apartment is actually rented under a female's name Margret Butterfly.

Show
    Okay, assuming Karl is going to head over to Mobius' apartment, let me know how he proceeds.

After Anna explains her plans to talk to Miho, there is a long pause in which Kenji does not respond. When his voice does come through, it is in the Sensei tone that he used to always take with Anna; the one that hints at disappointment and that reminds her of just how much she still must learn. "Wouldn't that depend on the purpose of your meeting?", he says flatly, "Though that is of course not my business. Miho-San is an old fashioned woman. She was actually born in Japan, and so you should be mindful of showing respect, though of course you don't need me reminding you this, right?" He pauses for a moment. Anna can almost hear the Elder vampire's mind turning, gears slowly pushing each other forward towards some dark and unknown purpose. "She may also hold a small grudge towards you... simply because of your heritage coming from China. Even though we are Kindred, we do not always rise above our Kine biases, though hopefully she will respect you as my Childe. Is that all? Oh, and be careful talking about her lost one, Möbius. That is still an open wound, so to speak."

Estella watches Anna's conversation flatly. The Daeva makes a show of feeling bored, an act meant to confirm the stereotype of her Clan for being fickle. She sends a quick text message to Gabrielle. Within moments she receives the response "Fine. Miss you. Can we meet again soon?"

Spoiler: OOC @ Lentrax
    Show
    Thank you for your patience. I know I haven't given you much to do, and especially with my post rate this may not be the most engaging, so thank you, I will try to keep this short
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

they're the ones visiting the shrines of war criminals... stop, let the china thing slide....

"Actually... someone matching Mobius' description has been poaching in Invictus territory. That's the reason why there would be a meeting," Anna said, "to find out where he is, determine whether it really was him, and settle the debt if it was. I'm guessing it might be tricky."
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Probably not tonight. Besides, you need to rest. I wouldn't be able to bear it if you exhausted yourself waiting for me.

Spoiler: @Bennosuke
    Show
    Its fine. If I had rolled better and had more to do, I'd probably me more active right now. But the dice gods are fickle.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Before heading out, Karl will take a quick look into Margret Butterfly. If she isn't just someone's false identity, she could prove rather interesting. He also snaps off a quick text to the others, "Margret Butterfly supposedly owns Mobius' flat, might be POI. Add name to inquiry if feasible."

On arriving at the haven, Karl quickly assesses the area and observes the building from as many angles as the terrain allows, looking for signs of life or anything else that might preclude a physical entry. If none are found, he'll slip in as quietly as he is able and pick the lock on whichever entry appears most discrete.

Show
    On person, crime scene kit, lockpicks, taser, camera.
    Wits+Stealth (4d10)[9][10][2][4](25)
    Dex+Larceny (4d10)[10][10][10][1](31)

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"I see...", Kenji Tanaka says slowly, his voice trailing off for a moment, "Then I would be cautious about revealing or spreading such news, especially with Miho-San. She has been though a lot already at the expense of her Childe. Is that all?"

Estella's phone buzzes again with the returned response. "I miss you already"

Both Anna and Estella receive Karl's text.

A quick search regarding the name Margaret Butterfly brings up nothing; no social media accounts, or related photos on a google image search. Most likely it is a false identity, though the search does get auto corrected a few times to "Madame Butterfly".

Karl leaves for Mobius' apartment. When he arrives, it is already quiet late. Most of the neighboring apartments have darkened and shaded windows. Both the upstairs and downstairs apartments have similarly unlit windows.

Karl slips around the side of the apartment, ignoring the large fern that hides the walkway's existence. Coming around the side of the building, Karl can see that the window that feeds to the fire escape has been smashed. His light sparkles off the jagged remains of glass, that no longer cover the blackness inside.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Two more text updates: "No strong evidence yet of Ms Butterfly being real person, probably a false name." Then later, "Signs of forced entry here, this may prove dangerous, activating my own beacon, ask Gabriel for help tracking it if need be."

Turning on another of the GPS tags, Karl slips it into a pants pocket. Time to go. Slipping up the fire escape as quietly as he can, he investigates the window, and the flat behind it.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

"I plan to buy her a gift for our meeting," Anna replied, " any suggestions or... items to avoid?"

Spoiler
    Show
    bot sure of the dynamics, would Kenji expect Anna to address him by first name, surname, or with the -san or -sensei suffix? I ask because he said Miho-san
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karl quickly makes his way up the fire escape. Despite his weight with the equipment he carries, the iron frame barely groans. Once on the second floor of the fire escape, he can see in through the window.

Karl's initial thoughts were confirmed. Despite the lack of lighting, his Vampiric senses allowed him to view the room quiet clearly. There was little glass on the outside of the sill, but a sea of sparkling fragments strewn across the floor. There was also a torn down sheaf of black out curtain that had been thrown to the floor.

The room was clearly Mobius' bedroom, so to speak. Though there was no actual bed, there was a large padded crate. The room had been torn apart apparently. Items, including a laptop had been strewn across the floor. Desks had been left open. A security cameram that had been mounted on the ceiling had been crushed, and ripped down, now hanging precariously on one thin cable. There was no blood, nor damage any of the furniture. But written across the long wall, just under a poster for The Cure, was "VII" in large black Roman numerals.

To this Tanaka chuckled, "Always the charmer, my little Childe. It may be a little late in the night to purchase something, but despite her... condition, Miho San has always been fond of a high quality hand mirror; though I don't believe it has anything to do with vanity."

Show
    Anna could probably get away with anything as his Childe. In Japanese culture, family don't usually use honorifics, so though it may be more respectful, it would be less personal to do so.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl makes sure his gloves are firmly on, and moves in, carefully. He suspects this place is empty, but nevertheless slowly sweeps the flat.

When convinced he is alone, he replaces the blackout curtains as best he can to hide the flash of his camera and gets to work. First is documentation, he takes pictures of everything that seems remotely relevant, from multiple angles if necessary, as well as the scene as a whole. After that, anything that will require further inspection is carefully sealed up in evidence bags, this includes any computing devices such as the laptop. For the sake of the masquerade, anything that could reveal the nature of this flat's former occupant is also removed, as it seems likely the police will eventually be called to investigate. The crate is left in place, but the cushions are removed and set elsewhere. He also dusts for fingerprints around the window, camera, and any other likely seeming locations for the intruder(s) to have touched. Along the way, he is trying to also pay attention to what is not found, anything that should be here but is missing.

With that done, he turns to the camera. Some seem to forget that taking out the recording device itself is often not enough. If the camera's wires are only for power, Karl will inspect the body for intact storage modules. Most security cameras store their data externally though, if that is the case here, Karl will follow the data cable back.

Finally, he does a sweep through the apartment, looking for any hidden caches in the walls, furniture, or other items that could hide something of importance.

Show
    Up to DM to rule whether or not vamps leave fingerprints. Still dusting either way, as humans/ghouls may have been involved.
    5Int+4Investigate+2CrimeSceneKit (11d10)[2][10][8][6][2][5][2][1][3][3][3](45)
    Last edited by Daishain; 2017-09-14 at 01:38 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: OOC redux
    Show
    ten again(11d10)[7][9][2][10][7][4][2][9][8][7][6](71)

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

"Thank you Kenji," Anna said.

"Hopefully I don't end up making a complete fool of myself," she added self-deprecatingly.

After she hung up, she turned to Estella.

"If we make a gift of a high quality hand mirror when we meet Miho-san, it may smooth the meeting. Apparently her childe is a touchy subject," she said, "I will try to set a meeting for tomorrow, seeing as it is almost light out; that should give us some time."

Spoiler
    Show
    is Anna able to contact victor directly? Where are the Elysium spots in the city to arrange a meet with Miho?
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

But, alas. I have no such mirror, and I am quite certain there is no antique store open at this hour.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

"That's why I'm going to try to set the meeting for tomorrow, so we can pick it up before we go," Anna said.
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The black out curtains had been ripped from the window sill, one of the screws even warped in the process. It takes Karl time to go back to his car, grab a tool kit and return to re-install the curtains; especially considering he can't afford to be using power tools so late at night without drawing attention to himself.

The living room/kitchenette area is similarly wrecked, and VII has been written in even larger letters over the area where a now totaled plasma screen was installed.

Karl seals up the laptop, but finds that there are almost no personal belongings or objects that would perhaps be unique to Mobius in the room. In fact, a search in several places, such as the book shelf, and a CD sorter show that several objects have already possibly been removed! Even more, there are no objects or belongings left that at all hint to Mobius' Requiem, other than the crate, which was likely Mobius' place of repose.

Karl removes the camera only to find that the circuits have been completely fried, as if the device was set fire from inside. A search of the apartment finds two more cameras which have been similarly disabled. He gets to work pulling wire lines from the ceiling and traces all three cameras to a box installed in the dry wall. This box has also been toasted, and he is able to follow a line from this box to a cable which projects from the wall by Mobius' work desk, and presumably would plug into his laptop.

Frustrated but intrigued, Karl moves on to dusting for fingerprints. Despite the fact that Vampires do not secrete the oils necessary to leave prints, it is worth ruling out the unlikely involvement of Kine involvement. The dusting brings up nothing in the bedroom, and some very faded prints in the living room, though based on age and placement (such as on a dirty wine glass in the sink), it is unlikely that these were left by whomever ransacked the house.

Lastly, Karl's search for hidden compartments brings up a false shelf in Karl's work station; empty, and a back compartment in the closet, which contains a gun safe with a few automatic pistols and not nearly enough ammunition.

Kenji Tanaka says goodbye, finishing with a detached "Be careful."
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Shaking his head, Karl sets his things on the fire escape outside, then checks through the flat, looking for any sign of his presence he might have left behind. Nothing can be done about the pulled wires, but given the general state of the place, he feels that is likely to not be noteworthy.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Well then, if we have nothing further for tonight, I will take my leave. Where shall we meet?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

"Let's see if we can get in touch with Victor first," Anna said, tapping away on her phone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming she has his contact information, Anna will ping Victor, apologize for the short notice, and ask him if he's available to meet tonight.
    TC for short

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karl collected his belongings into the duffle bag; the digital camera, the powder and brush for dusting, the box of gloves, and left for the fire escape. As he left he made one last check that no one was watching. The investigation of Mobius' house had been... exquisite, like performing a master surgery, but it left so many questions. He was wise enough to know the meaning of the painted VII, but not so young to be immediately terrified by some boogie man. So what did the findings in the apartment mean? This was the sort of investigation that Karl lived for (so to speak).

Show
    Lets get a perception test, also, what is Karl's plan. See OOC for estimated IC time for Karl

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********

Anna had met Victor on several locations. She had been accepted into The Ordo just a year or so before he had. Victor showed some promise in the Ordo, though he was a bit too cocky and boisterous for her liking; likely his Ventrue blood. Anna's text (via the Pulse of course) was short and to the point "Are you free to meet up tonight?"

Victor's response text came back within just a few minutes, "Perhaps", followed by a second, "Up for a group hunt???". Anna was aware of Victor's callousness in feeding. He liked to torture, he liked to kill. Anna was not if he had always been like this, or if it had come as part of Victor's Requiem, but it was something to consider if she and Estella were going to meet with him tonight.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl observes carefully as he leaves the apartment, it would not do to be spotted, and anyone tailing him would be especially problematic.

He'll spirit his spoils back to the office and start cataloging them. The laptop is of particular interest, he'll do what he can to retrieve any information from it.

Show
    Perception is wits+composure right? Assuming so...

(5d10)[10][5][2][2][6](25) extra rolls (5d10)[10][3][5][6][3](27)

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Anna wrinkles her nose. She wasn't a fan of Cictor's hunting style, but she did want to meet with at least one of the contacts tonight.

whereabouts? We'll meet you there.

Non committal.

She glanced at Estella.

"I think we can meet Victor tonight," she said, "he's going for a hunt... I should warn you, he can be a bit callous with the kine. Are you up for it?"

On the way to meet Victor, she will type out a request.

Greetings Miho-san. I'd like to request a meeting tomorrow at 1am at (insert Elysium location here). If this is not convenient, please suggest an alternate time or location. Regards, Anna Wu

Short and to the point. Anna reread her message twice before sending it. Now she just had to wait for a response.
    TC for short