New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: How do you battle boredom?

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    Valid complaint.

Solution: take a friend, do a pair/group activity in the evenings. A regular beer-meeting with couple of friends?
    Where do I find one of those?
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Well, I could give you few pointers, but I'm not sure if they would come in handy - after all, I'm a male coming from country where the equivalent of "Hey, wanna grab beer after work?" and talking about stuff is the easiest way how to get acquainted with people and is viewed as socially acceptable (the worst you can expect is "No, thanks" or "You payin'?" as responses). Dunno if it would work (still, if you give it a try, let me know how did it work out).

Also talking about your hobbies is a good thing - people who are interested in the stuff will ask questions and maybe even join in on the fun.

And friends are...well, usually acquaitances that you spend lot of time with.

But a question is: what would be the most help?
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Is this a serious question?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

I can't really afford to spend money on what's simply hobbies. I need every penny of that right now.
    There's ways of getting things for free
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anyway, what I usually do is hang around on forums like this
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    So, here's a summary of the thread responses so far.
    I also suggested playing music!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: How do you battle boredom?

Try babysitting
    Last edited by denthor; 2017-08-12 at 07:57 PM.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    Valid complaint.

Solution: take a friend, do a pair/group activity in the evenings. A regular beer-meeting with couple of friends?

WarKitty,

Whatever you were doing that got you involved with people doing:

...at our annual beat-each-other-with-cardboard-and-duct-tape event..:

It's an annual college event the day before spring semester finals. Everyone makes armor and weapons out of cardboardand duct tape. You divide into teams based on residence and whack at each other for about an hour.

That was my third year outfit. I originally had planned to have scales over the whole top part but that just wasn't working. The armor was surprisingly effective however, although I discovered I needed armguards.

...do that again.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Lesse, cheap things that can be done easily anywhere.

Actually free:
    I get a lot of pleasure observing plant and animal life in whatever random scraps of vaguely wild land are available. Since these are often small, this isn't necessarily a big time sink, but a brief stroll can be a nice way to eat some time. And being around plants (actual plants with some gumption, not lawns!) never fails to improve my mood. To that end, a bird feeder is cheap, as is bird seed, and having birds around is a lot of fun, particularly if you can set up something to do in their general vicinity. As Palanin said, hummingbirds are very fun to have around if there's any in that habitat, and since they eat sugar water they're really cheap to feed. Sure this can result in wasps, but wasps are fairly cool too, so long as you don't screw with 'em.

I can't think of very many hobbies that have literally zero start up costs, and aren't something weird like recreational math - and since I do that professionally I really can't see it as a hobby. Mileage may vary there though. There's also learning to program, which is something some people find fun and I find a tragic necessity of getting my work done, but if you like what amounts to a logic puzzle crossed with conceptual engineering crossed with learning a language to talk to the world's most annoyingly over-literal person in, it's worth checking out. Python is probably a good bet, since it's pretty straightforwards in terms of syntax, the language is free, and there's abundant free materials explaining it.

Somewhat Expensive Up Front, Cheap After That:
    Running has a start-up cost for shoes and clothes that are comfortable to sweat a lot in, but the per-mile cost is very low. And after a couple months of terrible sucking, it starts to suck in a good way. The physical effects are nice, the mental effects are marvelous. If it wasn't for the cursed weakness of my mortal body, I'm not really sure I'd ever stop running, so take that as a recommendation.

If your current stable of crafts is boring, try new ones! My primary handwork is woodcarving, and assorted forms of metalwork in thin brass and copper.

Woodworking is fairly cheap to start out with. You need some decent knives, and some reasonably carvable wood. You can of course go with just bits you pick up, but it's hard to get a reasonably sized piece, it's often water damaged or something else, and ends up generally being very limiting in what you can do. Basswood is a good carving wood, since it's light, relatively soft, and devoid of overly strong grain. I find balsa wood much less workable, since it's so soft anything but a super-sharp tool can easily crush or tear the wood, instead of cutting smoothly. Then you just need some ideas of what to carve, which can be basically anything you want. I do figures and leaves mostly now, but in the past have done spaceships, dogs, fish, different styles of figures, and any other oddments that cross my mind. As a bonus, you don't have to be good at drawing in order to be passable at carving; I'm much better at imagining something in 3D than I am at projecting that image to 2D.

Most of the metalwork I do is some variant of repousse. Start up cost for this is a bit higher, since the tools can be rather expensive, though they're quite cheap to make. All you need is a hammer, something that works for an anvil, and a torch hot enough to get steel bright red. For thin metal barstock, some of the hotter plumbing blowtorches are sufficient if time consuming. You'll definitely need files, and probably tinships and/or a jewelers saw for cutting metal to shape. A few blocks of plasticine clay on a base of some kind works fairly well as a backing material to work into when shaping your design. I find this to be immensely enjoyable and rewarding work, and highly recommend it. It's easy to make really good looking stuff that nobody else has the foggiest idea how to pull off.

Not Expensive Up Front, Continuous Costs:
    My recommendation here is a gun range. .22 LR ammo is cheap, and most gun ranges will rent you the rifle for not that much. Depending on where you are, range time can be pretty cheap as well. Shooting is a lot of fun, and like a lot of physical activity demands a lot of concentration and focus. Unlike exercise though, you don't end up all disgusting and sweaty and sore afterwords. Probably not a way to spend hours every day unless you get really into it, but a good way to eat up a chunk of Saturday afternoon.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

The tip with the gun range really, really, depends on where you live and how national/regional firearms laws are.
    Firearms are strictly regulated in germany and you have to jump thru numerous hoops to make them your hobby. As a kid growing up in rural bavaria, I joined the local "Hunters Lodge" to gain access to their gun range (and stave of the boredom of a small rural village). Only allowed weapons were those that go along with a full hunter license and training at the range also only covered those, so only certain shotguns, rifles, pistols and you had to bring your own, including ammo. (Interestingly enough, those tend to be really high-powered.)

When my parents moved to a metropolis, I tried to join a "Marksman Association", but my parents refused to pay the annual fees as well as buying the required sporting weapons.

So, decades later, I actually want to get back into the hobby but I shy away from getting the full hunter license, as the training for it is not only hard, but you have to partake in the annual boar and deer culling that is necessary, a thing that I think I can´t stand.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    ...Not Expensive Up Front, Continuous Costs:
    My recommendation here is a gun range. .22 LR ammo is cheap, and most gun ranges will rent you the rifle for not that much.....

WarKitty, IIRC, you live in the U.S.A. somewhere "back East", so rules and circumstances may be different where you live, and with the big caveat that I haven't done any shooting since the 1990's, so things may have changed, but some thoughts:-

1) To get to a range, and transport the gun, you need a car, you don't go jogging with a rifle!

2) In the San Francisco bay area (in the '90's), the ranges that rented firearms for use at the range, required two people to rent together (to prevent suicides at the range), so if this is something you want to do without a companion, you need your own gun, Back then $100 for a cheap rifle, another $10 for a lot of .22 LR bullets (more than you'll fire in a day), plus &15 for some good hearing protection, so maybe double that now? Range fee's and bullets are mostly the only ongoing costs, and as has been said before .22 LR is cheap.
    Other types of bullets, and guns other than "22's" may get very expensive though.

3) When I first fired a 22 rifle, the recoil was so low and the sound was so quiet (relative to the rest of the range) that I had to get a look at the paper target, to make sure that I was firing any bullets at all, which brings me to another thought, other guns are very loud (and if there 19th century replica "black powder" weapons, smoky as well).
    Your own 22 won't seem that bad, but if someone is firing another louder gain near you, it can be headache inducing if you can't stand loud noises (you said you didn't like loud music), and if the range is crowded with say folks firing 44 magnums, it gets extremely loud. Much more pleasant is to "plink" tin cans out in the country somewhere, but that involves more gasoline and time.

4) Archery is cooler (it just is) but more physical.

And that's another idea, where I live, they are fewer archery ranges than gun ranges, but the Public ones are cheaper (they're ones in Golden Gate, and Tilden Parks), but a bow and arrows will be more expensive.

A guitar is cheaper than a bow, or rifle, but takes up more space, because it's wider, a clarinet or a harmonica take up less space, and all take up less space than a bicycle.

Really for me, if I have free time of my own (a rarity), I'm seldom bored for long. A walk, bicycle ride, books, or this Forum soon keep me occupied, if my time is my own, but since most of my time is work or family duties, not much of my time is my own.

Boredom is what happens while I'm waiting, because I'm having to do something (safety meetings at work, standing in line, waiting for the water to drain out so I can repair something etc.).

From other posts on other threads, it seems like most of your time is at work and enduring a hostile environment at home.
    Easier said than done, but maybe take out a bunch of loans, and go away to graduate school?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm just going to say that bringing guns into a house with multiple people with off-and-on depression is probably not wise?

Gym membership may be the best idea for late at night - I just can't think of much else that would be open, other than bars.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    So, let me sum up the whole thread.

OP: What can I do outside for fun? I don't want to do sports.

Everyone: Sports! Do sports! Why don't you want to do sports? I'm sure you'll love sports, you don't want to do sports only because you didn't do enough of them!

Is everyone so offended that different people enjoy different things and OP doesn't like what they do? Or is it so hard to stick to provided guidelines?
    People have been talking about various forms of physical activity, but it's been a lot on biking, hiking, and rollerblading, not bike racing, cross country, and roller derby. That former set involves exactly no sports.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

You like crafting, playing video games and sitting?

How's your PC and internet connection?

You could easily start doing Creative or gaming livestreams via Twitch. If you invest enough time and are entertaining enough, you could even start making some bank. Don't expect hundreds of dollars to fall into your lap right away (unless you're a young, attractive woman - I've seen people drop literal hundreds of dollars on some lady streamers when they made 'partner' or 'affiliate'), but with a regular schedule and a niche that you enjoy (in Creative, fr'ex, I see people sing/play instruments, do cross-stitch and crochet, paint, and make cosplay outfits), you might be able to alleviate some boredom with some interactivity with viewers.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

WarKitty-
    What about stenciling or fancy sponge painting? You mentioned redecorating and painting in a thread a couple of weeks ago so this might kill two birds with one stone.

Regarding the typical hobby I indulge in, knitting, it's possible to get used knitting needles (or crochet hooks) and odd yarn VERY cheaply at church rummage sales and garage sales in my area and lots of people are willing to pass on their hobbies if youtube videos aren't enough instruction.

Further, does you area have anything similar to this? https://www.mvmag.net/ It's a free magazine that gets mailed out to basically everybody in the county every other month with restaurant reviews and event calendars. A lot of the events are either very cheap or free if you're looking for inexpensive culture.

Lastly, does your area run to public gardens? They're one of my favorite places to go for a light stroll and beauty appreciation.

:)

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm just going to say that bringing guns into a house with multiple people with off-and-on depression is probably not wise?

Gym membership may be the best idea for late at night - I just can't think of much else that would be open, other than bars.
    Well when I worked night shift I would try to have my schedule set so I'd go to work then straight to bed then wake up earlier. That way I'd be up during the day.

Also I think for the guns they were suggesting renting them at the store rather than purchasing your own. That's usually not too terrible expensive although shooting isn't for everyone so no reason to try it if you aren't into the idea.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

If you have too much time:

Get work
    Then get kids
    Then start writing stories or music or anything or watch the entire backlog of the wwe
    If you still have too much time -> then tell me HOW
    Last edited by Rebles; 2017-08-21 at 11:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    I'm sure someone will refute this with reference to some longsword maneuver in Altdeutsch that I've never heard of than cuts bodies or pierces legs, but I've been a Marine, a nationally rated fencer, a dabbler in rapier fighting and a medic. I feel qualified to make some broadly correct statements about trauma and wounds.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Possible, but to be honest there's only so much I can take of staring at suburbia, so something a little more repeatable would be nice.
    Is this a guess, or have you tried it? Most neighborhoods I've lived in have creeks, or woods, or fields, or parks, or sports fields nearby. There are lots of things to look at, including birds, plants, kids, and other things. You can find people at parks to talk to.

Walk past stores, and see what they're selling. Walk through parking lots, dodging inattentive drivers.

Walk to the library. Walk to the store (when not planning to buy too much).

These days I'm enjoying biking to Fair Park and watching the preparations for the State Fair next month.,

You will never know what any activity - including walking - will lead to without actually doing it several times.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Is this a guess, or have you tried it? Most neighborhoods I've lived in have creeks, or woods, or fields, or parks, or sports fields nearby. There are lots of things to look at, including birds, plants, kids, and other things. You can find people at parks to talk to.

Walk past stores, and see what they're selling. Walk through parking lots, dodging inattentive drivers.

Walk to the library. Walk to the store (when not planning to buy too much).

These days I'm enjoying biking to Fair Park and watching the preparations for the State Fair next month.,

You will never know what any activity - including walking - will lead to without actually doing it several times.
    Sadly, it looks like the shift switch is going to mean going out walking is out. It's just not a good idea.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Sadly, it looks like the shift switch is going to mean going out walking is out. It's just not a good idea.
    The get up earlier and walk before working. With twelve or so hours of sunlight and an eight hour workday, you can find some daylight for walking. I've taken walks at my lunch hour.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The get up earlier and walk before working. With twelve or so hours of sunlight and an eight hour workday, you can find some daylight for walking. I've taken walks at my lunch hour.
    10h workday and most likely the first few hours after I get up are not going to be free (since that's when I'm going to be having to do stuff). Really I'm only going to have at most 3h of daylight available to me for which I'm awake, and that's when I'm going to have to be doing anything that might make noise or anything out that needs to be done.

My lunch hour is currently set at 3:30am.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2017-08-23 at 08:20 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

multiple people with off-and-on depression
    Yeah, I was going to say that you sound less like you're battling boredom and more like you're battling depression. Takes one to know one, right?

Honestly? I think you're just going to have to accept being bored and unmotivated as best you can, for now. Time will pass; something will draw you, or maybe somebody will push you into something. Personally, I found myself drawn to Methodist services, then to picking up trash with somebody I met there, then to walking in the state park by myself and picking up trash there. Maybe that will lead into something else, who knows?

But even this modest development took years. Hopefully it moves faster for you... but I don't think you can push it, much.

Good luck. Wish I had a magic wand I could wave for you.
    Last edited by blunk; 2017-08-24 at 02:18 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

10h workday and most likely the first few hours after I get up are not going to be free (since that's when I'm going to be having to do stuff). Really I'm only going to have at most 3h of daylight available to me for which I'm awake, and that's when I'm going to have to be doing anything that might make noise or anything out that needs to be done.

My lunch hour is currently set at 3:30am.
    Could you not sleep in the evening? Basically mimic the day schedule of :

-Wake up
    -Get ready for work ("breakfast")
    -Work
    -Do stuff at home
    -Go to bed

That would leave the "doing stuff at home thing" in the daylight after you get off work and the go to bed would cut some of the afternoon and then evening off. You'd wake up for "breakfast" (supper) in the late evening and then go to work.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    Could you not sleep in the evening? Basically mimic the day schedule of :

-Wake up
    -Get ready for work ("breakfast")
    -Work
    -Do stuff at home
    -Go to bed

That would leave the "doing stuff at home thing" in the daylight after you get off work and the go to bed would cut some of the afternoon and then evening off. You'd wake up for "breakfast" (supper) in the late evening and then go to work.
    I mean, the problem's the same either way - you only have a few actual daylight hours, and because of the way things work most of the stuff you have to get done is going to need to be done in those daylight hours.

Of what activities are available around here, too, you're going to get much much more available in the evening hours.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2017-08-24 at 02:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Well I mean I figured we were talking about like a 30 - 45 min walk. If you're so busy that you can't fit that in, I can't see how boredom is an actual issue.

And wouldn't working the night shift give you MORE free time during daylight? I get up at 6 am and generally get home around 5:30 pm. In the summer sure there's some daylight left at the end of the day. But hell in winter I leave the house and get home in the dark. All the daylight hours I'm at work. In your case sure you'll need to use some daylight hours for sleep, but the rest of them are free for you.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Well I mean I figured we were talking about like a 30 - 45 min walk. If you're so busy that you can't fit that in, I can't see how boredom is an actual issue.

And wouldn't working the night shift give you MORE free time during daylight? I get up at 6 am and generally get home around 5:30 pm. In the summer sure there's some daylight left at the end of the day. But hell in winter I leave the house and get home in the dark. All the daylight hours I'm at work. In your case sure you'll need to use some daylight hours for sleep, but the rest of them are free for you.
    I meant more that those daylight hours have to be busier because most of what you need to get done, has to get done during those few hours.

I live with other people, so anything that might make noise (including cooking and laundry) has to be done then. Businesses aren't generally open 24/7 around here, so if you need to go to a business you have to do it during those hours. Anything you do have that's a social activity has to take place during those hours - including family stuff.

I'd say I'm going to bed at 9am and getting up at 5pm. So I have until 8 or 9 to actually get stuff I need done, and then the rest of the night I have to figure out what to do with.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

I'd say I'm going to bed at 9am and getting up at 5pm. So I have until 8 or 9 to actually get stuff I need done, and then the rest of the night I have to figure out what to do with.
    Oh well I again assumed you'd be sleeping until maybe 1-1.5 hours before work, like people would do if they worked in the morning. So there wouldn't be much to figure out what to do the night with, since it would just be the time you'd normally use to shower, eat "breakfast" and go to work.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh well I again assumed you'd be sleeping until maybe 1-1.5 hours before work, like people would do if they worked in the morning. So there wouldn't be much to figure out what to do the night with, since it would just be the time you'd normally use to shower, eat "breakfast" and go to work.
    It would be the same difference though - I'd have a couple hours in the morning, and anything social, plus any tasks like laundry or cooking or anything else that might make noise, plus anything where I have to go out to any sort of business, would have to be done in those few hours after work. Even on my days off, those few hours would be the only ones I really have for getting a lot of stuff done, and then I'd have an entire night to deal with.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Yeah, I was going to say that you sound less like you're battling boredom and more like you're battling depression. Takes one to know one, right?

Honestly? I think you're just going to have to accept being bored and unmotivated as best you can, for now. Time will pass; something will draw you, or maybe somebody will push you into something. Personally, I found myself drawn to Methodist services, then to picking up trash with somebody I met there, then to walking in the state park by myself and picking up trash there. Maybe that will lead into something else, who knows?

But even this modest development took years. Hopefully it moves faster for you... but I don't think you can push it, much.

Good luck. Wish I had a magic wand I could wave for you.
    You're probably right. I'm overstressed and my job is really boring, and I feel like I should be doing something other than just sitting on the computer but can't get what.

30. - Top - End - #90

You're probably right. I'm overstressed and my job is really boring, and I feel like I should be doing something other than just sitting on the computer but can't get what.
    Yeah, messing around on the computer is soul-draining. I found that stepping away and meditating or praying or thinking or whatever - just sitting in silence - was a much healthier use of time. The tricky part is that, generally, other people understand and respect wasting time on a computer more than they do "doing nothing", so you have to find the right times and places.
    Last edited by blunk; 2017-08-25 at 12:20 AM.