New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Default I tried out the Cypher System and...

My players all really seem to love the Cypher system and the symplicity of it. Before we started playing, I loved it too. It was so easy to set things up and as a busy DM it was good to not have to spend as much time for a similar result. Not to mention that its much easier to share a pdf file than a physical book as far as character creation goes.

However once we started playing it felt so hollow to me in comparison to D&D. We played a whole campaign in 5e and I loved it and my friends enjoyed it too. However they complained about how long combat took. I partially blame them as they never really got too into the combat from an rp standpoint and all but one of them just gave very basic description ("i hit him with my shovel") and then rolled.

Have other gm's felt this about the Cypher System or am I missing something? How do I convince my friends to go back to D&D? Is there any good way to make D&D's combat go faster?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: I tried out the Cypher System and...

Quote Originally Posted by egglegg View Post
    Have other gm's felt this about the Cypher System or am I missing something? How do I convince my friends to go back to D&D? Is there any good way to make D&D's combat go faster?
    1. haven't played it and doubt I will any time soon, lack of gaming time being a thing. I like it well enough from what I've read

2. if they don't want to, they don't want to. You can say you will only run D&D, but this is likely to get you unhappy players or even lose you the group. Instead, as is always the right answer TALK TO THEM. Tell them how you feel and see if you can come to an arrangement. try other games until you find a system everyone is OK with, try running alternating shorter games of either system so everybody gets some likes and dislikes, put RPGs on hold and do something else while everyone thinks things over; something like that. Trying to force everyone to go along with you when they don't like the system is not the optimal solution.

Play a pre 3.x edition, primarily.
    Force everyone to actually 'git gud' and learn the system and what their characters can do, reduce the amount of time they have to think about their actions.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not that big into Cypher, but with that said - if the group was willing to try it they're probably open to trying a fair number of games, so if Cypher isn't your jam find something else.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regardless of system, the only way to make combat in RPGs go faster is for everyone to make an effort to mastering the mechanics, especially the mechanics of their character. In some cases, it can be better to "level up" PCs at a slower rate to allow players to become comfortable with their abilities and learn how to utilize what they have. Another thing is to be stricter with "distractions" at the table; the more players pay attention to what is going on in the combat (I recommend the use of maps and minis to better allow players to visualize what is going on), the smoother combat tends to go. One thing is to use smartphones for reading up on rules related to what is going on/their next planned move, another is for players to check Facebook updates or play Candy Crush.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Thanks for the feedback guys! Asked if they would mind going back to regular D&D and none of them seemed to be too upset by the idea.
    Can't wait to start the next campaign!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the feedback guys! Asked if they would mind going back to regular D&D and none of them seemed to be too upset by the idea.
    best of luck, may your die be ever critting
    The moon sees nothing of this. She is bald and wild.
    And the message of the yew tree is blackness - blackness and silence.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

In general I've discovered it's just not good for the GM to be running a game they don't like. If they don't enjoy the system then they're unlikely to put a lot of effort into the game.

Now I've never played the Cypher System, I in fact took one look at it and decided I'd hate running it. But I'm the kind who's willing to give every game two chances (as Mutants & Masterminds taught me, it could have been a bad GM).

For combat going faster, it's really a mixture of everyone knowing their mechanics and maybe focusing more on glass cannons. A fight where anybody might drop in a couple of hits will tend to go faster than one where everyone can absorb a bunch of sword strokes.

Awesome, I hope it goes well.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.