New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOC 50: Over The Hill

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Sure .
    Would you mind posting first, or telling me what she might be dreaming about? I need some background before I can have the King enter the dream.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Would you mind posting first, or telling me what she might be dreaming about? I need some background before I can have the King enter the dream.
    Hmm... Would that be in the MERC thread due to her most likely sleeping there or somewhere else?
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

MERC is fine if that's what you want.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

MERC is fine if that's what you want.
    Alright, I'll get a post up.

- - - Updated - - -

...and I've got a post up now.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be posting Vigil later, for Wenomir to address the members who answered his order.
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-01-08 at 08:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll be posting Vigil later, for Wenomir to address the members who answered his order.
    What's this all about? I've been waiting for a chance to play Xavouir again...
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

The Cuthun demons have attacked Riverside and Wenomir is assembling the Avengers Vigil to counter-attack.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

The Cuthun demons have attacked Riverside and Wenomir is assembling the Avengers Vigil to counter-attack.
    Ooo, neat. Not too late to join I hope?
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Ooo, neat. Not too late to join I hope?
    No, it's not too late to join: just post in Vigil something along the lines of "My character heard the announcement and then showed up, then said 'okay'."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

10. - Top - End - #310

NinjaGuy

Zefir, it's your turn in AMEN.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

11. - Top - End - #311
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm slightly shocked to still see so many names I recognize posting here. You're an impressive bunch to keep up with play by post roleplaying for so long.

Someone asked me me the other day about a username I have on another site and it was actually the name of my very first character here in the TOWN, made me really nostalgic. Thought I'd drop in and take a look around.

I hope everyone is doing well

12. - Top - End - #312
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Alright, I'm hoping to get into playing in Nexus. I've been lurking around without an account, and even made a version of it use Google Docs, so I'm really excited! I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on where to introduce my character that hasn't quite been made yet.
    After 2 years of silence, I reappear!

Place your bets now, how long until I disappear again

13. - Top - End - #313
    Pixie in the Playground

I’m also new, but I haven’t started working on a character yet, but I’m about to do so right now.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by celtois View Post
    I'm slightly shocked to still see so many names I recognize posting here. You're an impressive bunch to keep up with play by post roleplaying for so long.

Someone asked me me the other day about a username I have on another site and it was actually the name of my very first character here in the TOWN, made me really nostalgic. Thought I'd drop in and take a look around.

Ermagersh it's a celtois!
    Welcome back! \o/

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicHobbit View Post
    Alright, I'm hoping to get into playing in Nexus. I've been lurking around without an account, and even made a version of it use Google Docs, so I'm really excited! I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on where to introduce my character that hasn't quite been made yet.
    Welcome!
    As for where, there are several good places! Usually Trog's Tavern is good, or The Dancing Fox Inn tend to be pretty good places to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Earth View Post
    I’m also new, but I haven’t started working on a character yet, but I’m about to do so right now.
    And welcome to you as well!

~-~

And to e'erybody:
    I'ma try to be around more than I have been lately. Life's just been life, but I want to try to do more stuff here and actually talk with more of you than I have been.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

15. - Top - End - #315

Hi, y'all!

As mentioned, Trog's Tavern and The Dancing Fox Inn are very good places to start. Those two and The Black Dragon's Den will give that "you arrive in a tavern" feel. The obvious differences are that the Dancing Fox Inn is completely violence-free, the Black Dragon's Den is seedy and such, and Trog's Tavern is more neutral.

Alternatively, if you're not into food-and-drink places, there are a couple other places that some people start off in (but it's easier for people to miss your post). There's the violence-free Mallside (giant mega shopping mall), the megacity Inside that contains everything imaginable, the mad-science-and-gritty flying city Skyside, and the more politically organized and faction-related city Riverside.

A final option that some people have chosen in the past is starting off at one of the major Acronym Organizations. Doing so will automatically ally your characters with some things and make them enemies with other things, so...you can post in one of those if you want. Of the ones that have been posted in recently, you could choose between AMEN (a group of villains), MERC (a mercenary faction), GLoG (a good organization focused on the safety of its members), and VIGIL (a group dedicated to fighting threats).

So, just pick that strikes your fancy. Of course, the taverns are recommended, especially just starting out and getting to understand the etiquette and traditions that people use here.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2018-01-11 at 09:52 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by celtois View Post

Good to see you again, celtois!

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicHobbit View Post
    Welcome, welcome. I think the posters above said everything about where to post. Once they're more made, you might get more specific advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    And to e'erybody:
    I'ma try to be around more than I have been lately. Life's just been life, but I want to try to do more stuff here and actually talk with more of you than I have been.
    Looking forward to it! Good luck with life in the meantime.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #317
    Pixie in the Playground

It's taking me a lot longer to settle on a character idea I'm happy with than I thought it would.

18. - Top - End - #318

Yeah, that tends to happen to me too.

When I'm in that situation, I usually just make a random character idea and then put her into one of the taverns, even when I'm not quite satisfied with it. Roleplaying with others gives me a feel for exactly what parts I'm not satisfied with, and why I'm not satisfied with them. Then, if I really didn't like that idea at all, I never do it again. On the other hand, if I only disliked parts of it, I change/retcon/modify those parts and try again.

I'm sure other people have other methods when they're not happy with a character idea, but that's what I do.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Pixie in the Playground

Alright, then. I'm just gonna throw some wild ideas out there and see what feels right, so just hear me out.

Hmmm...

A traveling farmer. Carries his farm in a pendant on a chain around his neck. Weird sorcery stuff makes the farm its own little world inside the pendant which can be entered and exited if one knows the trick. A not so simple country boy with some (fairly minor) experience with fighting to protect his livelihood.

And/or...

An old lady that can control fabrics at will using them in various interesting ways and even being able to change their properties. Used to be an active adventurer, but time has caught up with her. Still yearns for the fun and glory of her youth though.

Cool? Too weird? Thoughts or suggestions?

20. - Top - End - #320

I think they're both cool ideas, and could be enjoyable . I've definitely seen weirder, so they're not too weird.

A traveling farmer. Carries his farm in a pendant on a chain around his neck. Weird sorcery stuff makes the farm its own little world inside the pendant which can be entered and exited if one knows the trick. A not so simple country boy with some (fairly minor) experience with fighting to protect his livelihood.
    He seems cool. Could be interesting to roleplay now and then, and different because I've never really seen a farmer character. I have one important suggestion, though: just from this description, he doesn't really have any goal or motivation. There's not really any reason for him to interact with others or get involved in anything.

Sure, goalless characters can be fun to play; however, whenever I make a character with no motivation, I get bored with them shortly afterwards. You probably could get him involved in everything but you'll always end up asking yourself "why would Mr. Farmer get involved in this in the first place? Why wouldn't he just avoid this situation?"

So, my suggestion for this guy is to come up with a very simple motivation why he should be doing something other than just working on his farm all day. Like, maybe, "Mr. Farmer wants to discover new crops or farming methods" or "Mr. Farmer likes getting into interesting situations".

An old lady that can control fabrics at will using them in various interesting ways and even being able to change their properties. Used to be an active adventurer, but time has caught up with her. Still yearns for the fun and glory of her youth though.
    I like her, too. She seems interesting and already has a motivation listed. If she were my character, I would probably enjoy roleplaying her, and then flesh her out during roleplay.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    I think they're both cool ideas, and could be enjoyable . I've definitely seen weirder, so they're not too weird.

He seems cool. Could be interesting to roleplay now and then, and different because I've never really seen a farmer character. I have one important suggestion, though: just from this description, he doesn't really have any goal or motivation. There's not really any reason for him to interact with others or get involved in anything.

Sure, goalless characters can be fun to play; however, whenever I make a character with no motivation, I get bored with them shortly afterwards. You probably could get him involved in everything but you'll always end up asking yourself "why would Mr. Farmer get involved in this in the first place? Why wouldn't he just avoid this situation?"

So, my suggestion for this guy is to come up with a very simple motivation why he should be doing something other than just working on his farm all day. Like, maybe, "Mr. Farmer wants to discover new crops or farming methods" or "Mr. Farmer likes getting into interesting situations".

I like her, too. She seems interesting and already has a motivation listed. If she were my character, I would probably enjoy roleplaying her, and then flesh her out during roleplay.
    This is super helpful advice! I do really like the motivation of "acquiring new and exotic crops and livestock". There could also possibly be some other motivations such as "looking for the perfect spot to set down his farm in the outside world" or "looking for a future successor to his farm". Or even, "wants to be more than a simple farmer, and is looking for the right person or place that can help him discover his true calling".

I'm glad you like the other idea.

22. - Top - End - #322

Thanks! I'm glad I could help.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Orc in the Playground

Did I ruin the snowball fight?

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

24. - Top - End - #324
    Pixie in the Playground

Alright well I finally finished one of my two ideas using the template from the registry. Will work on the other at some point.

Lynton Brasher

Spoiler
    Show
    Alias:Nickname is Lyn
    Race/Species: Human
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Class/Profession: Farmer
    Power Rating: 3
    Description: Dark skinned and broad shouldered Lynton shows the wear and tear of someone who spends countless hours working in the fields. His hands are calloused, his face and clothes are dirty. His dress is fairly common, plain white shirts, dark thick pants. A wide brimmed hat adorns his head.
    Personality: Perpetually cheery despite looking consistently tired. Respectful to others but self-confident and stubborn when pushed to it. Has a strong urge and desire to hunt down and find the rare and unique plants of the world.
    Equipment: Lyn carries his most prized possession, his farm, in a magically enchanted pendant he wears around his neck. The farm contains numerous exotic and strange plants from all over as well as more common cash crops. The farm can only be entered with the proper pattern of taps on the pendant by the wearer.
    Abilities: An excellent farmer and an incredibly knowledgeable horticulturalist, can identify most plants he finds, as well as having the talent and materials to raise and care for them. He has some knowledge and skill in combat, from his time traveling the roads of the nexus and his need for self defense, but cannot hold his own against a well-trained fighter.
    Backstory: Lynton's parents were skilled alchemists and botanists who dedicated their lives to studying the magical and alchemical properties of plants. Managed to craft a special dimensional space to do their research and grow their plants while keeping everything portable and self sustaining enough so as not to hinder there constant hunt for new research subjects. A hunt that often took them far and wide. When Lynton was born, they planned to settle in one spot for a short time, keeping their life semi-stable until their child grew old enough to handle life on the road. He never showed the talent for alchemy that his parents had hoped for, but his interest and hunger in plant study and identification grew in its place. When Lyn was 10, both his parents died in an explosion caused by their experiments. For many years after, he hid inside the extra-dimensional farm that now belonged to him. He sustained himself of the plants of the farm until he turned 15 when he finally forced himself to step back into the real world.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm either worn down or getting sick after travelling home. So my posting is delayed a bit, but I'm hoping to get back to it fully tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hello Nexus! I would like to apologise for just straight up leaving my scenes in the lurch... I really want to get back into things, so will make my self-named character Fendrick the rat-man head back to Trog's.

I hope in my absence you've enjoyed scenes with my bro, Earl of Purple, and if I go missing again please talk to him.. sometimes I get overwhelmed but I've truly missed the Nexus and will do my utmost not to let things get in the way of posting here.

See you around, folks!

Fendrick

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

It's your turn in MERC, NothingAbnormal.

Also, here's my preliminary team roster for Vigil's expedition to Riverside:

Team One: Wenomir, Gary and Awen.

Team Two: Felandria, Xavouir and Anika.

Team Three: Kal and Alice.

Refugee protection: Kalya and Spako.

I might be forgetting someone, so let me know.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Glad to see you're back, Fendrick.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

29. - Top - End - #329

I edited and underlined a important point in my last riverside post. Just figured everyone involved should know.

30. - Top - End - #330

It's your turn in MERC, NothingAbnormal.

Also, here's my preliminary team roster for Vigil's expedition to Riverside:

Team One: Wenomir, Gary and Awen.

Team Two: Felandria, Xavouir and Anika.

Team Three: Kal and Alice.

Refugee protection: Kalya and Spako.

I might be forgetting someone, so let me know.
    To double-check, I'm going through the posts to make sure.
    Harnetta and Sophia informed Wenomir, who then made the announcement. (Post 808)
    Anika hears the alarm.
    Awen responds to the broadcast.
    Gary and Anika respond to the alarm.
    Reinholdt hears the alarm.
    Kal and Kalya show up.
    Felandria, with Reinholdt, show up.
    A very colorful bird flies in.
    Alice shows up.
    Mia was already in Riverside.
    The bird is a dragon.
    Xavouir arrives a little late.

Assuming the bird-dragon is Spako and that Reinholdt is included under "Felandria", and Harnetta and Sophia aren't included for some reason, then that's everybody.

Now, I'm curious about group dynamics:
    Team 1: a master swordsman, a World War II soldier, and an inexperienced witch
    Team 2: a stormy demigod (and a sniperkitty), a sword+magic daemon, and an elf adventurer
    Team 3: a sexy tiefling and a dedicated centaur
    Refugee Team: a talented necromancer and a dragon-bird
    I think I got that all right?

Seems balanced.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.