New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Good Dip For A Tempest Cleric?

I've got a Wood Elf tempest cleric level 1 and I'm wondering what a fun dip would be. I have a longbow and a longsword at the moment. I'm open to all suggestions.

My Attributes

STR 12
    DEX 16
    CON 13
    INT 10
    WIS 16
    CHA 8

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Good Dip For A Tempest Cleric?

Quote Originally Posted by Wampyr View Post
    I've got a Wood Elf tempest cleric level 1 and I'm wondering what a fun dip would be. I have a longbow and a longsword at the moment. I'm open to all suggestions.

My Attributes

STR 12
    DEX 16
    CON 13
    INT 10
    WIS 16
    CHA 8
    I can't imagine a dip which would be better than another level of tempest cleric. Why do you want to dip? What is the rest of the party? What is the universe style?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

+1 to what Aymon says. Tempest cleric really gets nice stuff almost every level.

And btw, don't you want to change your longsword for a rapier (or any other finesse weapon)?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Don't listen to them, let the multiclassing flow through you!

Jokes aside: going full cleric is cool.
    If you want to multiclass, that's cool too, but you should know what you want to gain from it.

You're more focused on weapon combat as i read it, and the best weapon user is the fighter. A one level dip gets you a fighting style (archery for a +2 accuracy bonus, defense for +1 AC when armored, dueling for +2 damage on onehanded attacks) and a minor self-healing feature (less useful for you as you can heal with magic, but still nice to have), another level of fighter and you get access to "action surge", a powerful feature that nets you a second action - you're better at breaking the action economy than a sorcerer, at least for one round. Three levels of fighter and you get an archetype - battle master for cool combat moves, champion for twice the crit range with weapons, eldritch knight for a slightly bigger spell list and slot progression... And if you "dip"* 5 levels you'll get an extra attack, which is good for obvious reasons.

Another option to get a fighting style as well as nature themed features and magic is a ranger dip.One level gives flavorful features and a free proficiency in one skill. You're getting access to "hunters mark" at second level, a concentration spell that gives bonus damage on a (weapon?) hit, and as a cleric with full slot progression you can upcast it (meaning you'll use a high-level slot) for more damage.

Yet another mc option: the rogue. A single level gives you "sneak attack", just additional damage for free if you use a ranged or finesse weapon (and meet certain criteria), one proficiency for free and "expertise" in two of your proficient skills, meaning you can add twice your proficiency bonus to their checks, which is nothing but awesome. A second level gives you "cunning action", which is a free disengage/hide/dash on a bonus action, nifty if you want to stay mobile.

A personal favorite: the monk. Get a second (unarmed melee) attack per round as a bonus action. It only does 1d4 (which gets more on higher levels), but it's still a good use for your bonus action. Higher level dips get you ki and various subclasses - a favorite would be the sun soul monk that can shoot radiant bolts with their dex from level 3 (reflavor that as a holy bolt of lightning for maximum awesomeness), but that's just one out of 5 official ones.

You can also dip druid for nature spells and wildshape, if you want.

Do what you want with your characters and never let yourself get told to play your PC a certain way just because others think it's optiomal.
    This is your personal character, a fictional being you create and play. Do what you want (within the rules) with it!
    "Can i touch myself before talking to that guy?"
    "..."
    "I mean can i cast a touch spell on myself..."
    "It's both possible, but one would probably lead to a bad outcome."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Storm sorcerer may be an okay choice. I know a tempest cleric dip for the sorc is good, reverse.. it depends, you do get the deal lightning damage, get temporary flight with 1 level though.
    Spoiler: I am the
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khrysaes View Post
    Storm sorcerer may be an okay choice. I know a tempest cleric dip for the sorc is good, reverse.. it depends, you do get the deal lightning damage, get temporary flight with 1 level though.
    The problem is that they can't dip Sorc with an 8 Cha score.

The only classes that they can legally dip to would be Ranger, Monk, Druid, or Rogue. Druid just isn't a worthwhile dip for a Cleric, but any of the other three aren't bad.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Any class that gets Booming Blade (Wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock) is a good dip. With your stats, I'd also recommend Arcane Trickster, but that's 3 levels and has to be taken carefully. But there's nothing wrong with full Cleric progression either.
    Last edited by Specter; 2017-08-11 at 08:50 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    Any class that gets Booming Blade (Wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock) is a good dip.
    Cha 8, Int 10
    "Can i touch myself before talking to that guy?"
    "..."
    "I mean can i cast a touch spell on myself..."
    "It's both possible, but one would probably lead to a bad outcome."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Booming blade is great, if you're a (secondary) melee fighter. Thematic, and improves your damage. I wouldn't multiclass for it though, especially not through 3 levels. I'd get it through race (elf, half elf SCAG variant), or a feat.

10. - Top - End - #10

Planetar

you can dip fighter legally as the requirement is 13 str OR 13 dex, is it not?

though dipping fighter I would go two levels, to get action surge. action surge just screams tempest to me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Waazraath View Post
    +1 to what Aymon says. Tempest cleric really gets nice stuff almost every level.

And btw, don't you want to change your longsword for a rapier (or any other finesse weapon)?
    I would love to have a rapier but we're level 1, we played once, and started from a shipwreck so my weapon options were limited. I mostly use the bow and spellcasting to get by.

Quote Originally Posted by Quoxis View Post
    Don't listen to them, let the multiclassing flow through you!

Jokes aside: going full cleric is cool.
    If you want to multiclass, that's cool too, but you should know what you want to gain from it.

You're more focused on weapon combat as i read it, and the best weapon user is the fighter. A one level dip gets you a fighting style (archery for a +2 accuracy bonus, defense for +1 AC when armored, dueling for +2 damage on onehanded attacks) and a minor self-healing feature (less useful for you as you can heal with magic, but still nice to have), another level of fighter and you get access to "action surge", a powerful feature that nets you a second action - you're better at breaking the action economy than a sorcerer, at least for one round. Three levels of fighter and you get an archetype - battle master for cool combat moves, champion for twice the crit range with weapons, eldritch knight for a slightly bigger spell list and slot progression... And if you "dip"* 5 levels you'll get an extra attack, which is good for obvious reasons.

Another option to get a fighting style as well as nature themed features and magic is a ranger dip.One level gives flavorful features and a free proficiency in one skill. You're getting access to "hunters mark" at second level, a concentration spell that gives bonus damage on a (weapon?) hit, and as a cleric with full slot progression you can upcast it (meaning you'll use a high-level slot) for more damage.

Yet another mc option: the rogue. A single level gives you "sneak attack", just additional damage for free if you use a ranged or finesse weapon (and meet certain criteria), one proficiency for free and "expertise" in two of your proficient skills, meaning you can add twice your proficiency bonus to their checks, which is nothing but awesome. A second level gives you "cunning action", which is a free disengage/hide/dash on a bonus action, nifty if you want to stay mobile.

A personal favorite: the monk. Get a second (unarmed melee) attack per round as a bonus action. It only does 1d4 (which gets more on higher levels), but it's still a good use for your bonus action. Higher level dips get you ki and various subclasses - a favorite would be the sun soul monk that can shoot radiant bolts with their dex from level 3 (reflavor that as a holy bolt of lightning for maximum awesomeness), but that's just one out of 5 official ones.

You can also dip druid for nature spells and wildshape, if you want.

Do what you want with your characters and never let yourself get told to play your PC a certain way just because others think it's optiomal.
    This is your personal character, a fictional being you create and play. Do what you want (within the rules) with it!
    All great suggestions. I especially like the ranger dip. It's very faithful to the classic image of a wood-elf and would work well.
    Last edited by Wampyr; 2017-08-11 at 10:49 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

GnomeWizardGuy

You're seriously limited by what you can dip into by your stats. You can do Rogue or Druid, from the quick glance I took - maybe something else. If you boost Str to 13 you can do fighter.

You lose out on a lot by not leveling up in one class - just go through and plot out two versions - one dipped one pure cleric - and see which spells/abilities you like better.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    You're seriously limited by what you can dip into by your stats. You can do Rogue or Druid, from the quick glance I took - maybe something else. If you boost Str to 13 you can do fighter.

You lose out on a lot by not leveling up in one class - just go through and plot out two versions - one dipped one pure cleric - and see which spells/abilities you like better.
    He can already dip Fighter because of his Dex.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I would love to have a rapier but we're level 1, we played once, and started from a shipwreck so my weapon options were limited. I mostly use the bow and spellcasting to get by.
    Good choice, and you will be able to afford a rapier eventually.
    I especially like the ranger dip. It's very faithful to the classic image of a wood-elf and would work well.
    Nice thematic fusion, let us know how it goes.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

15. - Top - End - #15

DruidGuy

I especially like the ranger dip. It's very faithful to the classic image of a wood-elf and would work well.
    Two levels is really effective. You get martial weapons, a skill (including Stealth), Ranger outdoor survival/speed, a fighting style, and access to a few sweet Ranger-only spells that can be pumped up a lot with your Multi-class spell slots and not lose too much in spellcasting. If you make it Archery-focused you'll cover a typical weakness of Clerics - damage at long range.
    Last edited by Beelzebubba; 2017-08-12 at 11:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

My Attributes

STR 12
    DEX 16
    CON 13
    INT 10
    WIS 16
    CHA 8
    Hi!
    Well, with your stats (pretty limitative to be honest XD), I'd say...
    - Rogue: for a melee character, having great mobility is always good. If you go as far as 3, Arcane Trickster gives you Booming Blade, and one among Absorb Elements, Shield and Chromatic Orb. You also get invisible Mage Hand, Expertise and Sneak Attack.
    - Ranger: if you don't fancy Cleric spells, Ranger gives you a net boost with Hunter's Mark, good offense/defense with Absorb Elements, along with a Fighting Style and extra attack (Horde Breaker) or small damage boost (Giant Slayer).
    - Eldricht Knight: the most costly, but the best way to get all you need: Booming Blade AND Chromatic Orb AND Absorb Elements AND Shield. In addition to Action Surge. ;)

I would usually recommend Druid 1 because it brings many great spells, and notably damage spells, but your Domain already covers that good enough (at least for your CD) and Druid comes with armor limitation which may or not be problematic for you. If not though, it can be very fun (Wild Shape as a mouse, stealth into a surprise position, unleash a maximized Shatter or Thunderwave from a safe place, enjoy). It's also a quick way to get several great spells: long-buff (Longstrider), short-buff (Aborb Elements), healing (Healing Words > frees one slot on Cleric side), one-turn control (Earth Tremor, good for melee allies). AND good utility cantrips (Thorns Whip to get people in range, Mold Earth for cover, etc).

Honestly all are great, pick depending on taste and priority.
    Mobility > Rogue, Balance > Ranger, Spellcasting > Druid, Defense > EK.
    With both AT and EK being far ahead of others damage-wise because they give you Booming Blade (but you could get it with Magic Initiate or Spell Sniper feat as well).