Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2017

    Default AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

    Does AL allow for looting of enemy bodies that are not specifically listed as treasure?
    For example, I am a hill dwarf and my party defeated a group of duergar. The duergar
    were wearing plate armor and I am only in splint right now. I was told I could not take
    the armor due to it not being specifically listed as treasure. Looking for clarification since
    I really cannot afford plate right now. If I am able to loot the armor could you please cite
    the source so I can present it to my DM? Thanks....

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Troacctid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

    You can take it, but it disintegrates at the end of the session, as per the rules for treasure.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2017

    Default Re: AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    You can take it, but it disintegrates at the end of the session, as per the rules for treasure.
    Where can I find that information? thanks

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2017

    Default Re: AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodgroove View Post
    Where can I find that information? thanks
    I found the info in the DDAL FAQ publication. Still sounds like a crock of a rule.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Louisville
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodgroove View Post
    I found the info in the DDAL FAQ publication. Still sounds like a crock of a rule.
    AL has many such rules. It's garbage.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    You can take it, but it disintegrates at the end of the session, as per the rules for treasure.
    But if it's not on the treasure list it's not treasure. So it shouldn't go puff at the end.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Maplewood, MO
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

    Okay, who isbeing logical here? Stop it.

    Actualy if it upgrades you armor I can see it being done very easily. If it fits.
    Preferences: Role play over optimization; Dwarf over Human over Elf over Gnome; War games over FRPG over SFRPG; Zorro over Batman over Robin Hood.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodgroove View Post
    Does AL allow for looting of enemy bodies that are not specifically listed as treasure?
    For example, I am a hill dwarf and my party defeated a group of duergar. The duergar
    were wearing plate armor and I am only in splint right now. I was told I could not take
    the armor due to it not being specifically listed as treasure. Looking for clarification since
    I really cannot afford plate right now. If I am able to loot the armor could you please cite
    the source so I can present it to my DM? Thanks....
    PHB PG 144 states that "weapons and armor used by monsters are rarely in good enough condition to sell." By logical extension they're not really good enough to use without extensive repair. Might have to do with all the holes, dents, etc you put in them killing the previous occupants.

    This is still a DM's call (as are all treasure situations). In AL especially, where uniformity is important, I would deny the use of the armor. I can see others ruling otherwise, though.
    The Council Lands: a 5e setting. http://www.admiralbenbo.org

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Aug 2015

    Default Re: AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

    I can sort of see why AL wouldn't allow you to keep things like armor and such looted from bodies, since it would create a greater discrepancy between DMs, as opposed to loot lists that are consistent in adventures.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

    I've seen an AL DM allow a character to take an armor to have fitted and repaired in town, essentially giving them the option to spend downtime days and then buy the armor at a discounted rate (I think it was 50% off). Seemed fair at the time.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2014

    Default Re: AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

    At the end of an AL adventure, the DM assigns treasure based on what encounters you have completed. Good adventures assume that you collected all the weapons and armor and sold it. It is included in the treasure totals. The DM then divide the treasure.

    If your character wants a mundane item so badly... then just ask for it as a share of your treasure. If it is in the equipment lists in the PHB... are would be free to buy it anyway. Just mark down on your characters sheet. If your share of the treasure was 200gp... you are free to write down "+150" and "Scale mail from Grog the Bugbear" if you want.

    While AL requires that mundane treasure is divided out equally and there are limits on trade/giving... I've found with nearly all good players and DMs typically work 'around' the meta-game aspects. For example, we had a lower-level fighter join at a table, so we all started paying for her expenses -- bribes, giving her potions (during the game), etc. -- so she would be earning gold quicker for her platemail. A few months later, she gave up her choice of a magical item to another PCs. It tends to work out of you play with the same folks over time.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Sariel Vailo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Underdark
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

    My dm allowed me to have it being i had two forms of healing and would use all my actions and spell slots on cure wounds.
    At that point they gave it to me because we didnt have a designated healer but i took it over.
    Bad guys meet fluffy,fluffy eat badguys. good spider.
    Spoiler: Linklele
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    PHB PG 144 states that "weapons and armor used by monsters are rarely in good enough condition to sell." By logical extension they're not really good enough to use without extensive repair. Might have to do with all the holes, dents, etc you put in them killing the previous occupants.

    This is still a DM's call (as are all treasure situations). In AL especially, where uniformity is important, I would deny the use of the armor. I can see others ruling otherwise, though.
    I can't speak to AL games, but at a normal table this is one of the reasons I'm such a fan of the mending cantrip.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Amber Temple
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    PHB PG 144 states that "weapons and armor used by monsters are rarely in good enough condition to sell." By logical extension they're not really good enough to use without extensive repair. Might have to do with all the holes, dents, etc you put in them killing the previous occupants.
    Other way around, the stuff is supposed to be poorly maintained by the monsters. Otherwise you could loot gear from enemies who were surprised or the like.

    So the fridge logic is why the monsters don't have penalties from using gear that's in such bad condition it is impossible to be wielded by a PC.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sariel Vailo View Post
    My dm allowed me to have it being i had two forms of healing and would use all my actions and spell slots on cure wounds.
    At that point they gave it to me because we didnt have a designated healer but i took it over.
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Sariel Vailo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Underdark
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: AL question - looting enemy bodies for armor and weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Other way around, the stuff is supposed to be poorly maintained by the monsters. Otherwise you could loot gear from enemies who were surprised or the like.

    So the fridge logic is why the monsters don't have penalties from using gear that's in such bad condition it is impossible to be wielded by a PC.



    What?
    I was the only healer at a table of barbarians warlocks and fighters he gave me the armor to keep so i could keep the morons alive.
    Bad guys meet fluffy,fluffy eat badguys. good spider.
    Spoiler: Linklele
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •