New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Archon's Way of the Wicked.

Spoiler: Welcome to Archon's Way of the Wicked.
    Show

Let me start by saying this game has been available for sale for over 5 years. There are gaming groups that have played online and posted it to the youtube. Each of the 7 books in the 6 book series is only 10 dollars. and you can even get a few of them for free if you know where to look on the web.

I know this, and I am not worried about anyone copying or reading ahead. This game is already unique. This group of players has never played this game with this group of characters and with me as the GM. So Let us play this game. And let's make it OUR Way of the Wicked.

And now the title crawl.

In the kingdom of Talingarde, many crimes may send you to Branderscar Prison, but the sentence has but one meaning. You are wicked and irredeemable. Each of you received the same greeting when you arrived. You were marched in from the gate house blindfolded and gagged. If you stumbled, the guards dragged you to your feet to keep you moving. Insided You were held down by rough hands and branded upon the arm with a runic F. The mark signifies ‘forsaken’ and the painful scar is indelible proof that each of you has betrayed the great and eternal love of Mitra and his chosen mortal vassals. Not cruel and sadistic, a guard smears a burn salve on your brand.

Condemned, you face at best a life of shackles and servitude in the nearby salt mines. Others might await the “gentle” ministrations of the inquisitors so that co-conspirators may be revealed and confessions extracted. Perhaps, some of you will be spared this ordeal. Perhaps instead you have come to Branderscar to face the final judgment. In three days, the executioner arrives and the axe falls or the pyre will be lit.

Through fire or steel, your crimes will be answered. You have all been chained together in the same communal cell dressed in nothing but filthy, tattered rags. Manhandled and mistreated, any finery you once possessed is either ruined or long lost. No special treatment has been given any prisoner – male or female, commoner or noble – all of the forsaken are bound and imprisoned together. Your feet are secured by iron cuffs tethered by one long chain. Your arms are secured to the wall above by manacles allowing you to move enough to rest your hands behind your neck, or stand if you tired of sitting. But you cannot walk more than a step, the prisoner to your side is only an arm's reach away. Once you are secured, the blindfolds are removed and you are left in your cell. A guard is posted right outside the cell block day and night.

Little thought is given to long term accommodations. At Branderscar, justice comes swift and sure. Escape seems hopeless. You have all been well searched and every attempt to conceal anything on your person has failed. And if you could somehow slip your bonds and fly out of this prison, where would you go? Who from your former life would want anything to do with the forsaken?

Despised, alone and shackled – all that you can do now is await your doom. For each of you, your old life is over. For each of you, hope is a fading memory. For each of you, justice will be fairly meted. And who can blame fair Talingarde after what each of you has done?
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2017-08-12 at 10:39 AM.
    Hello world. . .

2. - Top - End - #2

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Archon's Way of the Wicked.

And now let us go around the table. Please introduce your character.

Describe what they look like. Tell us what crime you committed. Tell us how you got caught. We will assume that the order you post is the order you are sitting left to right in your cell. (First to post sits on the far left. Last to post sits on the far right.)

Signify that you are speaking aloud with bold text, and internal thoughts with italics. Pick a color that I will use as a marker on maps for your character.

And finally make your first roll of the game. a perception check to determine what you could see/hear on your way in.
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2017-08-12 at 10:41 AM.
    Hello world. . .

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The first man in the room, if indeed he can be called that, slumps to the ground in a lurching clank of metal and stone. A strangled sound escapes his throat, a few seconds later identifiable as laughter. His bald pate glistens dimly with a few scattered droplets of sweat, skin too dark to be fully human reflecting the flickering torchlight. A pair of short tusks or fangs stick up from his lower jaw, clearly betraying his Orcish heritage.

The rags which hide his torso and upper legs couldn't possibly disguise the bulging muscles of his shoulders and arms. With each ragged chortle, his chest rises and falls, revealing a wide-framed chest beneath the tatters. His fingers contract and release almost spasmodically, occasionally closing into a fist before flying open once more- grasping at some unknown and invisible thread.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perhaps it's more a matter of rumors, but the sorcerer was captured for arson. The leader of a smallish band of brigands, he pressed an attack on a small frontier town- not small enough, however, to lack an official station of Talingarde soldiers. He torched the barracks, some say without any torches, and four of the guardsmen perished in the blaze.

All in all, however, his paltry band was in over their heads. His men were hanged the next day, but he was sent to Branderscar to be made an example of.

When he speaks, the unnamed sorcerer will use purple, and most of his discussions will be curt and impolite. You worthless, forsaken bast***s deserve no better!

The man's gaze remains somewhere amidst the middle of the stones that make the floor, his eerie chuckling raising plentiful questions about his mental state. For the moment, he takes no notice of his companions, and makes no effort to introduce himself.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

The Talin hanging from the chains is of average height, his slim muscled body not quite filling out his prison rags. His brown hair is kept short and brown stubble is on his plain face. Indeed, in most ways, Inigo looks quite unremarkable, except for two characteristics. His eyes, the same shade of brown as his hair constantly look about with an almost distant, dead look to them. And his calloused right hand seems to instinctively clench and loosen, as if expecting a hilt of some sort to be there.

As he looked about the dank cell the guards had stuffed him in, his thoughts wandered back to not only his arrival to the prison, but events that had set him on course to be here. "Karfeld and Cornwell...you both will wish you had walked by my shop if I should ever get out of here," he mumbled at almost a whisper. The men he had murdered had all deserved what had come to them...they had all bought in to the idea that the Crown would protect them. He had proved that wrong for the short amount of time he had been free. He had to admit that he felt something similar to joy when we saw the look or revulsion on Prat Cornwell's face when that Knight realized what was in the stew he had eaten. If he got out, Inigo would need to be better at hiding the evidence of his mission...if he ever got out.

His thoughts interrupted by the half-orc's chortling, he looked up to get a measure of who his last few days will be spent with.
    Last edited by dathom; 2017-08-12 at 01:03 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

HalflingRogueGuy

Apologies for the double post. Forgot to include Perception roll in my last post.

Perception: (1d20+9)[11]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

In the middle, a woman sits crosslegged. Her red hair is a tangled, filthy mess, streaked with soot from the brand and dirt of an unidentifiable source. She takes deep breaths, eyes closed, focusing on the pain from the brand and a stitched-shut but still obviously recent wound to her lower back.

Eventually, she reopens her eyes and exhales slowly, muttering to herself, "So this is Mitra's mercy, then. Fitting. Yet another lie."

When she hears the half-orc laughing, she frowns and gives him a glare, but says nothing, content to sit and remain in silence.

Show
    Perception: (1d20-1)[1]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

In apparent response to the woman's comment of 'mercy', the laughter takes on a more pointed timbre. Instead of being generic rumbles of unknown relevance, he clearly scoffs at the thought of Mitra's mercy. "Mercy, my left foot," he grumbles, before lapsing into silence.

Somehow, the sudden absence of sound is all the more obvious for it.

Show
    An opportunity for forgotten perception checks!

(1d20+3)[10]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Amber Tash

A young female, no longer a girl, is chained to the wall along with the others in the cell. Her smooth skin is a pink hue, much more red than the usual human skin colour. Eyes a deep orange colour, almost as if her pupils are set aflame. Light hair waves from her head, covering one ear, while on the other side her ear is visible, where the top elongates to a point while the side is rounded and curves to the point. Curved horns jut out from her forehead. Set just above her ears are long, thin, curved and gray horns, while two small pinkish horns set just at the end of her eyebrows jut out, following the curve of the other horns, but stopping far earlier. Those with knowledge of the planes know she is a tiefling (Knowledge (planes) DC 10), though even to those without it is clear she is no ordinary human. Her hair is a mess, she looks tired, or rather, sleep depraved, she has cried earlier, the rags she wears do not suit her and the manacles holding her hands are stuck together, to ensure she can not use her hands to cast spells.
    The female tiefling sits with a look of pain and agony on her face. Her branding had been inadequate the first time, for she was resistant to fire and heat. Many curses involving Hell and her origins had followed during the attempts that followed and eventually she had screamed loudly.

Amber Tash, convicted for the crime of arson, setting part of her home village of Silverby and its church ablaze. Counted as murderer of those that perished in the flames and to blame for desecrating the holy church of Mitra. Caught by Inquisitor Brandon Silverthorne after his investigations led him out of Silvery, along the path of her escape and through towns where she had stolen from the locals and disguised herself. The chase had not taken long, for her eyes had betrayed her as she had lacked the means to cover them up during her hurried escape.

Wincing as she heard them speak about Mitra's mercy, it was the words of the man speaking about a shop that led to Amber's whimpered sentence: "I miss the shop.."

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Amber Tash has 120ft Darkvision and Low-light vision.
    Perception: (1d20)[15]

9. - Top - End - #9

BardGuy

Next to the red haired woman is another, though it is apparent that neither are related. This woman is slender, barely any muscle on her, yet she's still willing to test the chains. She seems unconcerned about the burning pain in her forearm, instead taking in her surroundings. "Hah! You don't know the half of it. Those Mitrans are too hypocritical to know what mercy is." she speaks Talin fluently, though with a moderate accent. She returns to inspecting her surroundings and the manacles.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Perception (1d20+5)[21]
    Also checking the manacles to see if they're loose enough to cast a cantrip, and if the floor will hold a decent puddle.

10. - Top - End - #10

HalflingRogueGuy

Raising his gaze to look at the others chained to the wall with cold eyes, the average looking Talin quipped in a parched voice, "The only issue I got with Mitra is it's connection with the Crown." Then, noting Amber's unique physiology, Inigo followed up with, "Good to know that you ain't here just cause of the way you look then. Not that it matter what you can burn with us in the situation we are in."
    Last edited by dathom; 2017-08-12 at 09:24 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Amber Tash

For a moment, the orange specks in her face were gone as she blinked. For a moment, she was distracted from her pain as she looked baffled at the average looking human, Inigo Brice. Her eyebrows tensed, her teeth gritted while her cheek hardened. She stared strictly at the ever so average looking man. "I am" She spat out the following word. "not" Her eyebrows moved up, as if to note how baffling that was to her. "here because of the way I look?" She drew in breath through her nose, trying to keep a boiling anger under control. Her body tensed, her expression more and more a scowl. "They killed my mom!" Amber's arms trembled. "She was sick, but they would not help her because I asked for help." Standing up, she took the little step she could forward. "They did not heal her, because of the way I looked! They held Mitra's church shut!" Leaning forward, only her chains holding her back, she shouted. "I spit upon Mitra's mercy!" And literally, she spit in the center of the cell, as to prove her point.

Anger and fury were evident from the glare looking at the man who had spoke last. She backed off to the wall, but it took her a few moments of deep, angry breathing, before she regained enough wits to speak. "You are not here because of the way you look!" Anger mixed with jalousy, envy, had spoken. Now she spoke with a hint of disgust. "What kind of shop did you run to be here?" She dared the average man to answer, challenged Inigo Brice to speak up.

12. - Top - End - #12

HalflingRogueGuy

A temper on that one, Inigo thought as a cold smile crossed his face and he adjusted his position to try and get more comfortable. "It wasn't the shop that got me here...but I can see why it might confuse you." Pausing as he thought on the merit and drawback of sharing his story. Then, with a grunt and a shrug he continued, "Ever hear of the Talin Butcher? Well, before I was known as that...I was a meat butcher in Matharyn. Seen enough people foolish enough to follow the Crown that it was time to show them that House Darius can't protect them. Was able to show that to five people until those bastards Sir Balin of Karfeld and Prat of Cornwell found me out." Slumping a bit more in his chains, the cold-eyed Inigo continued, "But I assume everyone else here has done something that the Crown or Church thinks just as against their 'good sensibilities' as that."

13. - Top - End - #13

EvilClericGuy

"Hush in there" cries one of the guards from the door. "You'd best not insult Mitra loud enough for us to hear it.

"Yeah," calls the other. "We can do things. and this second voice laughs like an idiot.
    Hello world. . .

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Mira shudders and says, "W-wait that was you? Oh...Oh Mit-" She cuts of, then shakes her head and continues, "Oh gods. My family ate those stews you sick bastard. "

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Amber Tash

Amber cooled down as she listened to Inigo. She shook her head when he mentioned the Talin Butcher, indicating she had not heard of him. When he further explained why he had killed people, there was a look of confusion on Amber's face, a lack of comprehension. She nods, to confirm his assumption that those present had done wrong by the Crown or Church, in at least her case. Interrupted by the guards, she grumbles. "I'll be burned anyways. Mitra abandoned me." Though she only speaks it out, not calling to the guards. She recalls the pain of the brand and the prospect of dying was bad enough, she needed no further roughing up.

Speaking at bit lower volume, she also shared her reason for being here. "I set Silverby and its church on fire." She then turned to Mira with a look of confusion on her face. "What do stews have to do with anything?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

The last man on the chain has watched the others attempt to break the chains. Despite his own considerable bulk, he doesn't seem inclined to try it himself.

"Yeah. Mercy", he spits. "My name is Caleb. I'm in here for Heresy.". He pauses, but senses that no-one seems particularly talkative.

"The strong are put in this world to rule, the weak to serve. Power does not need to apologize for itself. These truths and others got me in here."

In hushed tones, he continues: "Yeah, keep talking, tough guys. I've heard of the professionals who work here. A couple of guards don't scare me".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Perception (1d20+9)[18]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

The Half-Orc stayed silent. From time to time his eyes flickered from one speaker to the next, but a carefully flat expression keeps his thoughts hidden to himself.

His gaze lingers on the woman so casually talking about lighting a church ablaze. In particular, they follow the curvature of her cheekbones to her ears and horns. His eyebrows furrow slightly in thought or consideration, though he adds no commentary.

He snorts quietly at the guards' threats. The left corner of his lips curls up into a distinctly unfriendly smile.

19. - Top - End - #19

BardGuy

"The Talin Butcher? Never heard of you. Then again, I just got back to Talingarde a few months ago, after a few decades absence. Neither of which were welcome, mind."

The red haired woman stretches as much as she is able, before resting against the wall. "Though I'm glad to see everything I've known about the church hasn't changed since I was a lass. Preaching about freedom, equality, and tolerance while refusing service to someone 'different', and enforced servitude are right up their alley."

She turns and yells at the door, "And what are you going to do about it, huh? I've experienced your worst tenfold by the time I was your age. At best you'd bore me to sleep! And if you'd try anything else, you'd just be proving us right. So why don't you be a good little ignorant, and let us get our beauty sleep for our big day."

Show
    Not the brightest move, but Gail's spent too much time in this position to not be annoyed by being back in it.

Are we going to get an OOC thread?

20. - Top - End - #20

HalflingRogueGuy

An eyebrow raising at Mira's outburst, Inigo sarcastically quipped back, "Apologies that your family's sensibilities were not taken into consideration in my planning. You see, adding those fools to the stews was a simple means to get rid of the evidence without raising too much suspicion. I have to ask though, how did they like them? I have never tried those particular stews myself."

Any further comments related to Mitra don't really get a response from the slim yet muscled Inigo, suggesting that the dark haired murderer doesn't have any strong belief in religion. The guards' shouted warning doesn't elicit much of a response either, his time at his work having taught him how to keep composed around those tasked with enforcing morals and laws. Then not focused on someone speaking, the former butcher's eyes flick over occasionally to the now silent half-orc.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Mira makes a low sound in the back of her throat in response to Inigo's question, just after chuckling at the last fellow. She looks at him, shrugs, and says, "Well, I'd say the people who put you in here were a good bit stronger than you. And yet you don't strike me as one to sit down and accept your fate."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Amber Tash

Amber Tash looked at Caleb while he spoke and listed to hear how he talked about the guards. His stated fearless was overshadowed by the red haired woman's, as she yelled at the door to the guards. Amber softly winced, on one hand hoping that the guards would not show, but on the other hand envious of the woman's courage to stand up for herself.

Her attention quickly shifted however, as Inigo Brice's words sunk in. Baffled she repeated him. "You put other people in stews?" Amber visibly shivered of disgust. "Eww, yuck! Gross! That's just sick!" She quickly looked to the other side and leaned away from Inigo's direction.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

"So quick to call their wrath upon yourself?" the Half-Orc muttered, too quietly to be heard past his immediate companions. He shakes his head, either in disgust or disbelief as the echoes of the woman's cries fade, their absence beckoning the guards' response.

Anyone looking his direction at mention of Human stews would note the feral grin of amusement playing on his lips.

24. - Top - End - #24

EvilClericGuy

There is the sound of of keys in the lock as the two guards enter the cell block. they approach your cell tapping their clubs on the bars. "I warned you about keeping quiet." the first said.

The Second smirks as if he's the smartest man in the world. "So now we're going to tell you about how the bathroom works."

First guy begins "If you have to go, you go. We aren't taking you to the latrine."

The second keeps smirking. "Tell them when their cells get cleaned."

"They get cleaned about noon. The warden comes in and casts some spell that gets rid of your waste. which by the way already happened today."

"Use the big fancy word Danny. The big word." the number two guy laughs.

"Excrement." Danny apparently the first guard's name. "So you'd best do what we say, or we tell the Warden to skip cleaning. And he will. He hates cleaning.

"And you might want to hold it until then or you'll be smelling it! And sitting in it. Your ex-cement! guard #2 laughs. They turn and walk away oblivious to anything you'd say. Mostly because the unnamed second guard can not stop laughing at his potty humor.
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2017-08-13 at 09:58 PM.
    Hello world. . .

25. - Top - End - #25

BardGuy

The red-haired-woman-who-has-yet-to-introduce-herself grits her teeth. "Standard humiliation tactics. Can't say I didn't enjoy being on the other side of it. At least here they don't have to touch us directly for cleaning." She shudders, remembering her lifetime of such treatment. Unfortunately for her, these shackles of higher quality than what she was used to.

26. - Top - End - #26

EvilClericGuy

You have a moment to look around and get your bearings. The walls and floors are made of stone. All of you are chained to this wall facing the door to the cell. The wall of the cell is just bars spaced three inches apart connected with a three cross pieces to make slipping through them difficult. The door to the cell is apparent as it has more crosspieces making it resemble a grate. To your left, high up on the ceiling in the cell block's hallway is a skylight, the lone window in the room and the best source of light. It cast shadows to your left, meaning with the Guard's statement that it is past noon, you must be on the North wall and facing South.

To the West of you is another stone wall, but this wall has a solid steel door on it with heavy deadbolts on this side. You can hear the clank of manacles and the shuffling of feet coming from it. There is a tiny window in the door to allow the guards to see into this reinforced cell.

Although you can not see them, the Guards sit outside the cell block playing cards.
    Hello world. . .

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Mira shudders at the thought of sitting in their own waste. She gives her manacles an experimental tug, curious as to whether or not they might be able to be pull them apart, and peers at the window, looking for a chance to make her attempt to get out of the shackles when the guards aren't looking.

28. - Top - End - #28

HalflingRogueGuy

Ignoring the tiefling's squeamishness at hearing the details of his crime for the moment, Inigo also begins looking about, flicking through the details he recalls from his arrival to the prison in his head. The guards are confident...which is to be expected, the murderer thought. The guards may be a bit over confident however...for now they know of a latrine. While likely not the most pleasant room in this prison, it could be a good way out...or at least offer a bit of privacy...should he get free of the manacles somehow. With that, Inigo focuses his attention on the manacle themselves, craning his neck up and down to get a sense for the quality of the locks more out of habit than any thought that he might be able to get free.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+9)[23] to get a sense for the lock quality

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The Half-Orc only rolls his eyes at the guards apparent humor. He's seen much worse- hell he's done much worse to some of the poor sots captured during his band's raids. "Pitiful," he mutters. "They don't give a sh!t about anybody, but can't bring themselves to really get mean. They're weak." He raises one side of his lip in a tiny, silent snarl.

Apparently unconcerned with the guards, he looks down at his hands. Chains rustle quietly as he moves his hands back and forth, testing their slack and toughness.

Show
    Important question: do the manacles prevent spells with somatic components from being cast?

30. - Top - End - #30

EvilClericGuy

Spoiler: OOC lock info
    Show
    The manacles look to be of high quality, and should have a DC of 25. Inigo will note that the locks have a build up of rust and clearly have not been maintained. This lowers the DC to 20. The only additional challenge is a -2 circumstance penalty from having your hands chained above your head.

Spoiler: OOC manacle info
    Show
    Attempting to slip out of the manacles is a Escape Artist DC 30.The window/skylight is in the ceiling and is about 15ft up.

Spoiler: ooc spells
    Show
    The manacles are attached via a chain that has been fed through a ring above your heads. If you want to move your left hand freely, you must be standing and you must raise your right hand. This makes spell casting difficult. It will count the same as being entangled for a concentration check. DC 15+spell level verses a 20+caster level + relevant ability

After a while, the sunlight offered by the skylight above. starts to climb up the east wall. It grows later in the day. The two guards come in again. "We need to mention food." the first one says. The second starts to echo, but Danny silences him with a motion of his hand. You will be given bread and water from our kitchen twice a day. On your final day, if you are to be hung or beheaded. you will not be given food. Though you are condemned to die for you crimes, you will not defecate yourself in your last act. "

The second guard starts laughing again. Danny had used another big word.

Danny continues "Those of you facing the flames will receive food. The flames will burn everything. It won't matter. Before your execution you will be offered a drink of wine. It will be drugged to lessen you pain and MITRA'S FOOT!"

From the tiny window in the steel door, a human thigh bone is tossed like a dart at the two guards. It barely misses Danny but smacks Guard #2 in the face, his nose now a bloody mess.

"Little uns!" An Ogre taunts from the window. Little uns come in and play!" It clanks an open end of manacles against the bars.

The ogre laughs happily as Danny lifts the second up and drags him back out of the cell block.

The Ogre lifts his hands up in victory "Grumblejack!" He sings. "Grumble Grumble Grumblejack!" You can hear the sound of his feet dancing in celebration.
    Hello world. . .