Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Can barkskin stack?

    Does barkskin stack with things like a shield' bracers of defense, clock of protection, etc....
    Last edited by Sir cryosin; 2017-08-12 at 03:07 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Can barks kind stack?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Does barks kind stack with things like a shield' bracers of defense, clock of protection, etc....
    Assuming you are talking about Barkskin, no.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Easy_Lee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: Can barks kind stack?

    No, barks kind doesn't stack with any other form of bonus AC. It's a pretty bad spell this edition. You could argue that it's useful for wildshaping, but 16 AC is not worth concentration and a 2-slot.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Can barkskin stack?

    Yeah. It would be a lot closer to the right balance without concentration.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Can barkskin stack?

    It doesn't give bonus AC. It just sets your AC to 16 if your AC would otherwise be lower. It does effectively nothing if your AC without barkskin would be 16 or higher. However getting your AC above 16 doesn't end the spell, so if you ever somehow got your AC lowered to below 16 by, for example, losing a shield, barkskin could still apply. So it "stacks" but in an almost meaningless way.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default Re: Can barkskin stack?

    Official Answer:

    "Barkskin specifies that your AC can’t be lower than 16 while you are affected by the spell. This means you effectively ignore any modifiers to your AC—including your Dexterity modifier, your armor, a shield, and cover—unless your AC is higher than 16. For example, if your AC is normally 14, it’s 16 while barkskin is on you. If your AC is 15 and you have half cover, your AC is 17; barkskin isn’t relevant in this case, because your AC is now higher than 16."
    Last edited by guachi; 2017-08-13 at 02:45 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Can barkskin stack?

    Quote Originally Posted by guachi View Post
    Official Answer:

    "Barkskin specifies that your AC can’t be lower than 16 while you are affected by the spell. This means you effectively ignore any modifiers to your AC—including your Dexterity modifier, your armor, a shield, and cover—unless your AC is higher than 16. For example, if your AC is normally 14, it’s 16 while barkskin is on you. If your AC is 15 and you have half cover, your AC is 17; barkskin isn’t relevant in this case, because your AC is now higher than 16."
    I'm surprised that they thought this question was necessary to answer. The wording on this one is perfectly clear.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Euphonistan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Can barkskin stack?

    Quote Originally Posted by smcmike View Post
    I'm surprised that they thought this question was necessary to answer. The wording on this one is perfectly clear.
    Yes but this is one of those things where some people thought it cannot possibly work that way despite what the rules say and so thought it was a mistake.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    georgie_leech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Can barkskin stack?

    Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    Yes but this is one of those things where some people thought it cannot possibly work that way despite what the rules say and so thought it was a mistake.
    It certainly is odd in how cover applies (or rather how it doesn't) to Barkskin. I guess the bark turns off when an AC 14 person walks behind a box
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So a ranger is like a Bachelor of Applied Druidology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    What's the word for 'fear of being eaten by a mounted bear in half-plate' again? Because that's the one I have.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •