New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Long and Winding Path to Glory IC

Flowery words and exaggerations are part and parcel of a bard's trade. But they are still nice to hear. Maybe thawing her cool to him, just a bit. But it was a hard battle against the minotaur and she does need rest. Along with a visit to show her tattoo to Tiara. She lies down on the bed, but positions herself so that there is no way that Felian can lie on it as well, without touching her.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Sleep comes quickly to the champion, drifting down into comfort, then deeper, until she awakes upon familiar grass, naked, but not cold. Tiara's song finds her, the winged woman soaring in the starry sky, beneath the full moon. No, not full. Almost. And it has been that way every time she has come here, just as it has always been night, no matter when Eshalyn went to sleep. Strangely locked in stasis, and the rest of this place with it.

Eshalyn listens to the song, not knowing any of the words, feeling them suffuse her... and begin to reveal meaning. The song, so soothing and beautiful before, reveals layer upon layer. Sadness and loneliness, calling for the moon that has left her, for the world to move once more. Hope and excitement, for this could be the night her calls are heard, even though she has been calling for so long. The joy of the flight and the song. The disappointment of nothing joining her. The words do not make sense to Eshalyn's ears and mind, but they do to her soul, as her tattoo glows with the light of the moon, answering the call.

Moonlight shines upwards to meet its true source, catching Tiara's attention, spotting it, then Eshalyn. Even so far away, Eshalyn can see first the surprise, then a smile of ecstatic joy, sweeter than any honey Eshalyn has tasted. Tiara's song builds, her motions becoming more energetic, guiding light to moon, and as the song crescendos, she spirals up in front of the moon as it is filled and completed. Light gathers around Tiara, enveloping her, intensifying, before bursting into radiant motes of light. And in their midst, against the full moon, is Tiara, six winged, matured, radiating serene joy, her body clad in the light itself. Eshalyn feels as if the gears of the world are starting to turn again, at least in this place.

Tiara gently floats down to where Eshalyn lies. The warrior feels this form of her friend is fleeting, like the full moon, dazzlingly beautiful in a way that is so different from the breathtaking (and seductive) Jannissera and the impressive (and imposing) Cirza. The next time Eshalyn will come to visit, Tiara will be different again, yet still Tiara, but it is only a matter of time until this fleeting moment returns once more.

Eshalyn is gathered into Tiara's wings, infinitely soft and uplifting, feeling her fatigue evaporate as Tiara hugs her tightly. The moonlight clothes feels refreshing yet cozily warm at the same time, Eshalyn unsure whether she is feeling the soft feathers and curves of Tiara's body as well. "You returned the moon to me, Essshalyn! I have been waiting and calling for so long, never giving up hope. What a wonderful day it was when I met you!" Tiara speaks in her own tongue, Eshalyn's soul understanding, the winged woman's joy infectious.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Eshalyn has heard stories of members of her order who were so in tune with nature that they could speak any language, even communicate with animals if they were intelligent enough. Shes not sure if she has achieved this level of mastery, or if this is just being so in tune with Tiara that it works, but she feels like one barrier between them has been partially broken. She embraces Tiara back, and then pulls away just enough so that she can see her tattoo and the source of the moonlight. My reward, from the Oracle herssself, as prize for finissshing my next ssstage. Fassshioned from moonlight, not paint, ssso it will never fade or ssstain.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Tiara admires the tattoo, tracing part of it with her wing feathers as she does so, tickling Eshalyn's skin and soul. The barbarian can see how the moonlight plays upon the texture and color of her feathers in intriguing ways. "It suits and expresses you so well! Jannissera is liking you a lot. She made you a beautiful companion." Tiara smiles and chuckles, beautiful and adorable at the same time.

"Thank you, I am quite inclined to agree," a voice speaks, feminine, equal parts sultry and smooth, Eshalyn hearing it coming from right beside her ear. When she turns her head, she sees her tattoo having risen from Eshalyn's skin, into the form of an actual snake, as gorgeous as the tattoo itself. Looking down, Eshalyn sees the snake's body seamlessly merge to her skin, continuing as tattoo. The sensation of the snake, mysterious and dangerous... feels oddly comfortable, and natural. "After all, I wasss ssshaped upon the sssoul of a legend in the making." And the snake (she?) seems to be quite partial to Eshalyn. Tiara does not seem surprised in the least that the tattoo partially manifested itself, moves, thinks, and speaks.

The snake turns to Eshalyn, gazing upon her for a moment, before making a motion akin to a bow and speaking. "Hello, Missstressss Essshalyn. No, Jannissssera did not make me on purpossse, but asss the Oracle, perhapsss she sssaw me coming. But now, I am here, happy to ssserve... and ready for missschief." The snake's motions have a hypnotic quality to them, though not one that would ever affect Eshalyn. "Or not, if you'd prefer me asss jussst a tattoo." The snake's tongue darts out briefly, in a way Eshalyn would describe as cheeky.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2018-02-09 at 01:59 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Eshalyn considers the snake for a moment, before her reply. I think I would like to keep you asss a sssecret weapon. Manifessst yourssself asss you choossse among people we know but when meeting a ssstranger, keep yourssself concealed. Then if you are needed, you can ssstrike by sssurprisssse. Oh, and give that bard of mine a good fright when we firssst meet. I think I shall name you Zither.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, he'll be making the highessst of notesss," Zither answers, with a low laugh almost sounding sinister in its anticipation. Eshalyn can feel Zither moving on her body before settling perfectly back into being Eshalyn's tattoo. Think of me and ssspeak in your mind, and I will hear and anssswer, whether I am with you or far away.

When Eshalyn looks up again, she sees Tiara standing atop of her multi-tiered house. Eshalyn remembers how she needed to be carried up there by the winged woman. "Come! Come, Essshalyn!" she calls out with joy, holding her wings as if Eshalyn would leap into another embrace any moment. Then she remembers what the barbarian said to her the other night and seems to have an idea. Walking to a pot, she reaches inside with one of her bird-like feet and throws something in the air. In the moonlight, a scattering cloud of red flower petals dances on the wind between Eshalyn and Tiara. The barbarian gets the feeling that Tiara thinks this should be plenty of help to reach her, seeing how she danced on thin web strings before.

Frankly, it seems impossible, even with her ki. But yet... Eshalyn has rarely felt lighter on her feet, and rarely has she seen someone so confident in her as Tiara. Moonlight is about bending or breaking the rules, Jannissera said.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Eshalyn takes a breath and focuses that power of her ki that makes her as light as feather. One might think that someone would try to go up such a "ladder" slowly, but Eshalyn realizes that the secret is to be off the petal before it knows you have arrived. She scoots up the red petals

Spoiler: Acrobatics
    Show
    (1d20+19)[27]
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Eshalyn steps and leaps towards the petals, knowing the theory, but not quite knowing what to expect in practice. The waking mind certainly is saying "no" right now, even with her supernatural abilities as they are. Yet Eshalyn dances upon the petals, moving smoothly among the shifting, swirling cloud, climbing higher and higher. She experiences the sensation of flow, just doing, feeling Zither coiled around her in tattoo form, with unshakable faith in her mistress, seeing Tiara waiting for her, encouraging her more with every step. One last leap and the barbarian has ascended to the top of Tiara's home, now safely wrapped in Tiara's wings, the winged woman laughing with a deep joy. She has always liked seeing Eshalyn move. In hindsight, what she just did feels so obvious and natural to Eshalyn, like the world tried to tell her it wasn't possible and she never challenged that assumption until Tiara nudged something awake to try it anyway.

Up on top, Tiara lifts the bottle in which she collects the moon dew, offering it to Eshalyn. It is refreshing as always, arguably even more so now, the blue liquid in harmony with her soul and tattoo. Zither seems to enjoy Eshalyn drinking the liquid, shifting around her a bit like the equivalent of a cat stretching in the sun. The barbarian has completed taxing and difficult tasks, overcoming them has let her go above and beyond her previous limits. The tattoo, and this moment, contribute as well.

Spoiler: Rewards
    Show
    Eshalyn advances from level 10 to level 12 (one for finishing the second Step, one for her moon attunement). She gains the usual +1 Cha and +1 ability point of her choice (except Charisma) on level 12. She also gains the following:
    • +2 Charisma, +2 Dexterity
    • Eshalyn gains the Light Steps ki power. When she spends ki to activate Feather Balance and/or Light Steps, both powers last for the whole day.
    • Zither, her tattoo. She is similar to a familiar (treat Eshalyn's level as her wizard level in this regard) and functions like a viper. They can communicate telepathically at any distance. Zither can either stay in tattoo form or manifest as a snake. While she can bite and poison people (and talk to them), she is not meant to be a combatant on her own.
    • If you want, you can change Eshalyn's appearance in small ways due to her moon attunement, once. This can be as mundane or supernatural as you like, as long as her appearance doesn't change drastically. For example, there could now be an unfelt wind letting her hair and clothes move. There could be a certain light in her eyes now or her pupils could be slitted now. Her hair color could change. Her body could subtly change to better suit her without affecting her capabilities or comfort (for example, muscle definition could now be hidden and curves idealized without making her weaker or getting in the way, or muscle definition could become more apparent but in a way that further accentuates and enhances her appearance without adding bulk)
    • Her items grow stronger: Amulet of Mighty Fists is now +2, Gauntlets of Dexterity are now +4, Circlet of Persuasion is now +6

Last edited by Ridai; 2018-02-10 at 07:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

For once, Eshalyn drinks the liquid while not being in pain, damaged, or fatigued and can finally appreciate its other qualities such as taste, texture and even aroma. For sure, this would fetch a good price in the outside world, but it is not for them.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Tiara smiles to Eshalyn. "You are going soon," she says, the mood turning a little bittersweet, time just seeming to rush by. "Will you come visit again soon?" With an expression clearly hoping for a yes. Zither shifts, telepathically transmitting something between a squee and an aww. Please say yes.

The winged woman, moonlight dancing on her pristine feathers and beautiful face, is quiet for a moment, before saying "There is something off with The Path and the Eyrie. Something hidden from sight and hearing, tugging strings. Whatever it is, do not let it know that you know. Do what you desire, do not let yourself be limited." Tiara looks to Zither, touching her head with feathertips, the snake enjoying the attention. "Watch over Essshalyn, Zither."

Eshalyn still hears Tiara's words in her mind as she realizes she is lying in a bed again, feels the softness of the feathers of her peculiar guardian angel. Beside her lies the sleeping bard. And Zither is starting to fulfill Eshalyn's request to give Felian a good scare...

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

You can be sssure I will be back sssoon. After each one of my ssstepsss. Perhapsss I will even figure out a way to bring you with me...to sssee my half of the world.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Once Eshalyn and Felian have gotten out of bed, Eshalyn leads the way to Jannissera's hall. They pass Cirza, ever vigilant, and if she was aware of Zither's antics (Eshalyn has a feeling she was), she didn't recognize her as a threat. "Lady Eshalyn," she greets as she passes, with Felian keeping his head down when passing the amazonian guardian for various reasons.

When they enter the starlit hall, Eshalyn notices Zither has slithered off of her body. Jannissera floats with her eyes closed, surrounded by swirling lights, communing with the Three. Once more, Eshalyn is struck by her presence and beauty, still feeling like the first time she has seen the Oracle, every time. Felian remains a little behind and to the side of Eshalyn, awe-struck as well, though also seeming to have trouble concentrating.

Jannissera opens her eyes, smiling to Eshalyn, followed by a curious glance. "Already tired of your beautiful tattoo after a single night?" The larger-than-life demigoddess mock-hugs herself, playfully feigning being hurt, as well as mercilessly drawing the eye, making Eshalyn's and Felian's hearts skip a beat or two. "You wound me, Eshalyn."

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Tired? Hardly. I love my new tattoo. Im jussst sssurprisssed that ssshe ssseemsss to have a mind of her own. And isss disssplaying a habit of getting into all sssortsss of missschief and finding every crack and crevice that ssshe can explore And that last comment was said with extra meaning
    #GoreMutualarejerks

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

"What can I say? Sometimes, I surpass myself," Jannissera answers, shifting herself around to seem like she is lounging, towards Eshalyn and Felian. "But to answer the question on your mind, no, I didn't awaken her. However, she was made from moonlight, for someone whose soul is very much in tune with the mysterious ways of the Moon. It would have been more surprising if the tattoo would have remained just a simple adornment and nothing more. I would love to meet your new friend." Jannissera comes a little closer, smiling beautifully. "What is her name? And is she more to poisonous or constricting type? Or perhaps... both?" Felian twitches at the mention of poison, also seeming very, very uncomfortable right at that moment.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Well...ssshe does have a ssset of fangsss the lassst time I sssaw her with her mouth open, ssso I imagine there isss sssomething there...but ssshe hasss alssso really ssshown sssome great ssskill at sssqueezing things....I call her Zither
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2018-02-20 at 10:59 AM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

"Mmh, I like it. Do bring her next time, I do seem to make people make all sorts of wonderful sounds."

The point is underlined by a gasp from Felian, whose face is a very deep shade of red at this point. Jannissera glances to the bard with a beatific smile. "Your friend seems unwell. Perhaps he caught a cold on the way up here and should go rest?"

"Th-that would be m-m-most kind," Felian stammers, having trouble getting the words out.

Jannissera looks back to Eshalyn, waiting for her opinion on the matter.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Eshalyn moves to put herself between the Oracle and Felian, pretending to fix his collar, but allowing Zither to slither out and merge with her skin. Yesss, the air is mossst thin up here, being in the mountainsss, and he likely isssnt usssed to it...you ssshould go and lie down Felian, I will be along in a few...and look now, here is Zither, where were you hiding? turning to face Jannissera Zither, sssay hello to your...mother, I guessss
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Felian excuses himself, leaving quickly. Eshalyn can almost hear an Aww.

Zither partially emerges from Eshalyn's skin, looking up at Jannissera before briefly bowing her head. "It'sss a great pleasssure to meet you. And thanksss to both of you for making me asss jawdropping asss I am."

Jannissera holds out her hand to Zither, who slithers onto and around it so the Oracle can examine her, adding a few touches much to Zither's liking. Soon after, she reaches over to Eshalyn again (with just a little caress of her shoulder), letting the snake slither back onto the skin of her mistress. "One of my prouder works, I must say. You are easily one of the most interesting contenders so far, Eshalyn." Jannissera visibly enjoys the shenanigans and fun she is participating in.

"Is there something else on your mind?"

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Actually there isss. The Path and you in particular are now thought of asss myth or legend, not even real. The ssstoriesss of people sssuppossedly broken by the Path are jussst ssstoriesss. No one even triesss anymore, or at leassst not publicly. Ssso I am wondering, how many people have actually tried in the lassst 50 years, and how far did they get before failing
    #GoreMutualarejerks

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Jannissera examines Eshalyn for a moment, her mood sobering a bit. "Over the last 50 years, I would say about a hundred. At least half died or turned back on the way up to the Eyrie. Of those who made it up here, I would say two-thirds died during the first Step. Of those who made it through, half failed to fulfill their task. Of the ones remaining, it is about an even split between not being able to go and leaving, dying or failing during the second Step, or transgressing to the point of needing to be banished from the Path or Cirza putting them down. Needless to say, it is a pitiful state of affairs, even when you expect a truly exceptional hero to be exceptionally rare. Even in the state you arrived in here, you could have easily wiped the floor with most of them. And don't get me started on what passed as their little ambitions and personalities, ugh." Jannissera brushes back a strand of perfect hair, scoffing in annoyance just from remembering.

"When the Path to Glory was created, I was chosen as its Oracle because I love the hopes and potential of mortals. Let me tell you, it has not been easy to keep that love burning, especially not in the past 50 years."

The Oracle looks into Eshalyn's eyes for a moment. "Case in point: how many people have you met in the world down there that instinctively wowed you, awed you, filled you with hope or wonder, or made your heart race? If you have to consider for a moment whether someone fits the description, they don't."

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

You are right, of courssse. There are thossse I ressspect, like my teachersss but none of them wowed me or filled me with hope. I assspired to bessst them, and even that provesss your point, if a perssson truly wowed you, you would not think yourssself able to defeat them. There isss not one perssson I have met that I did not think with enough work, I could not top them.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

"Consider how it would feel to seek a true challenge, and everytime you feel you found one, you swat it aside without any effort, year after year, yet the hope to find what you seek doesn't want to die." Eshalyn can practically taste the growing bitterness, disappointment, and boredom that would rise from being unfulfilled for longer and longer. Zither can feel it as well, and hisses a serpentine equivalent of a groan, trying to shake the sensation off.

"It would be easy to point fingers towards Doran Valen's legacy of bringing lasting peace and prosperity when he completed the Path to Glory, but that is something I won't do. He earned his destiny. And perhaps you will do so, too. Speaking of which," Jannissera floats closer, resting her chin on both palms, lips curved into a wide smile. "what will you shape your destiny into, should you complete the Path? Perhaps the world will become a more exciting place again because of it." The Oracle awaits Eshalyn's answer, gaze as unwavering as her impish smile.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Honessstly, I had never given thought to it. Probably becaussse 5 daysss ago, I didnt even know it exisssted. Ohersss probably come here
    with their own ideasss of their own dessstiny. I have none. Isss that wrong?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

"Wrong? Hardly. It just tells me that you are thirsty for a proper challenge," Jannissera says, liking Eshalyn's spirit. "You still have time to decide. But should you make it all the way, you will have to decide what to do with the opportunity to shape your destiny, because if you don't, the opportunity will be gone forever. Then again, who knows, maybe completing the Path to Glory in itself is what will fulfill you for the rest of your life. Finishing this challenge and then not wanting your reward is something that would make you unique for the rest of time in the eyes of gods and mortals, I am quite sure."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

I am sssure sssomething will come to me. Of courssse there would be thossse in Nyssia who would usssse me asss a figurehead if I were to finisssh it. That I will not allow.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, I am looking forward to it," Jannissera answers, drawing back again. "Are you ready for the next Step, or are you still resting up?"

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

I think Zither and I are ready for it
    #GoreMutualarejerks

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Zither seems almost disappointed. "Aww, no playing with your boy toy after all?"

Jannisera begins. "Your task is to retrieve a black crystal from the innermost part of the fortress upon the Nightspire. You must be the one to go there and carry it out. That is it. Of course, it is not as simple as just walking in. With the fortress being on a rock needle, terrain can be treacherous, with your share of chasms to be aware of, though I wouldn't worry too much about having to do much balancing again, most of the time. More importantly, the fortress is populated and guarded by the star elves, and they do not like trespassers for the most part, especially not within their fortress. How you find and get to that inner chamber is up to you, though if you plan on fighting, you should pick your battles well, for they are well trained, and all of them have magical capabilities in some shape or form. But who knows? Maybe you'll make a new friend along the way. You and Zither seem to be very convincing." Zither shifts in agreement, her tongue darting out for a moment.

"Do you have any questions?"

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

You can, I hope, tell me where the Nightssspire isss
    #GoreMutualarejerks

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Zither boops Eshalyn in the head with her snout. "Ssshe isss going to teleport usss, missstressss."

Jannissera continues. "And once you exit the fortress perimeter with the crystal, you will be teleported back, as usual. We wouldn't want to wait a few weeks for you to get there and back, now would we?"