New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1091 - The Discussion Thread

Besides the possibility of Bloodfeast being advanced, he might have a couple extra tricks up his sleeve (scales?) due to the combat training he had in Tarquin's Dino-corps. Not sure how that'd impact the CR, but so long as we're listing details...

Not to mention potions and buffs that may or may not be received from V.

But I doubt the plan involves Bloodfeast serving as a straight meat shield. Keep that card in your back pocket until one of the lesser vampires (who may not know the little lizard is actually a bulldozer with teeth) is separated/vulnerable.

EDIT: I sense a "two words" joke is imminent, with Sneak Attack being upstaged by Dispel Magic.
    Last edited by Thorongil; 2017-08-15 at 01:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    The Order won that fight, though. Why is that example a cause to be pessimistic?
    Was that your impression? My linking to a joke by Roy is pessimism? (Maybe I should have included a smilie to signal humorous intent?)
    I guess other people have figured out the origin, but I for one was thinking of Mike Tyson's "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face."
    Very much on point.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    ...Belkar called it his bag of holding. Are you suggesting he simply calls it that, even though it's a regular burlap sack?
    Well, yeah. It's a bag for holding stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinewmire View Post
    ...I am now picturing Elan attempting to seduce that female vampire cleric and use his garlic breath on it.
    Wouldn't be the first time.
    Y-yes it would! *tries to hide link from Haley*
    Sweetie, I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    A. I think most of the order would be willing to sacrifice a dinosaur to save the entire world.
    I wouldn't!
    Neither would I! Dinos are awesome!
    Let's take a vote. I'm fine with it.
    Sorry, sweetie, but all the dinosaurs in the world aren't worth everything else in the world.
    Must we wait for Belkar to drop Bloodfeast?
    That's two to—
    Nay.
    ...You're not a member of the party.
    Aw.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I guess other people have figured out the origin, but I for one was thinking of Mike Tyson's "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face."
    I knew this would come in handy someday...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

hmm, Mindblank would PROBABLY be most useful on Belkar considering his past interactions with mind control. Plus he seems like he would be the most dangerous one to have under the enemy's control.
    (ノส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)ノ LASERS

The Sacred Tools

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AeonsShadow View Post
    hmm, Mindblank would PROBABLY be most useful on Belkar considering his past interactions with mind control. Plus he seems like he would be the most dangerous one to have under the enemy's control.
    Belkar has an item that protects him from mind control already.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground

Specifically, he has a vest that gives +5 to ALL his saves. Avoiding Dominate is only one of the ways that could come in handy.

It should be kept in mind that Belkar's the only member of the party that was shopping with Vampire fighting in mind the last time they had access to shops.

7. - Top - End - #157

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbebatman View Post
    Specifically, he has a vest that gives +5 to ALL his saves. Avoiding Dominate is only one of the ways that could come in handy.

It should be kept in mind that Belkar's the only member of the party that was shopping with Vampire fighting in mind the last time they had access to shops.
    It's a +3 actually and I don't really think that's the item referred to.

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    It's a +3 actually and I don't really think that's the item referred to.
    Yeah, you're right, now that I look at the RAW on Protection from Evil, it COMPLETELY blocks mind altering effects. Unless he passes the ring clasp on to a teammate (on account of the burning) it makes the vest pretty superfluous.
    Last edited by alwaysbebatman; 2017-08-15 at 03:36 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    And I seem to recall there being rules about NPC CR being their ECL but I can't find those, so Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
    If the NPC in question has no racial hit dice, all its class levels are in PC classes, and has no racial/template level adjustment or modifiers to its CR, that's true. (CR calculations can get fairly involved....) Since the HPoH meets those first two criteria, his CR is his character level +2 (the CR adjustment from the vampire template) and his ECL is his character level +8 (the level adjustment from the vampire template).
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    If the NPC in question has no racial hit dice, all its class levels are in PC classes, and has no racial/template level adjustment or modifiers to its CR, that's true. (CR calculations can get fairly involved....) Since the HPoH meets those first two criteria, his CR is his character level +2 (the CR adjustment from the vampire template) and his ECL is his character level +8 (the level adjustment from the vampire template).
    That sounds right. Do you know where that's printed so I can properly reference it the next time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    That sounds right. Do you know where that's printed so I can properly reference it the next time?
    I think I just stumbled upon what you were referencing in the DMG; it says "An NPC with a PC class has a Challenge Rating equal to the NPC's level" there on page 37 as the simplest case for an NPC. You'd apply the things I linked above (which are also in Chapter 4 in the Monster Manual) to account for templates and stuff after that, though.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree that Bloodfeast won't be too powerful in a battle. That wasn't the goal. The reason why the Empire of Blood kept a dinosaur is to look awesome for the spectators in the circus. Even this way, he's still powerful enough to eat any number of low-level gladiators, which is the only power needed, and the top matches (like the one between Roy and the Champ) are interesting enough that they don't need an extra dinosaur. I don't think they even trained Bloodfeast, for that would just make him more dangerous for the guards. In fact, I suspect the keepers may have deliberately reduced his fighting capacity in some invisible way, like cutting muscles, to make it easier to handle.

And as for the second Mind Blank, my guess is that Vaarsuvius will have to cast it on herself after the first one is dispelled.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    Really, I thought he was playing his lute loot luit.
    We all know its written lewt.

What's that? People don't play Runescape anymore?
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Was that your impression? My linking to a joke by Roy is pessimism? (Maybe I should have included a smilie to signal humorous intent?)
    Well, Roy was being darkly humorous with it, but it's not really clear he didn't think they were doomed. So I wasn't sure.

15. - Top - End - #165

I think when people do CR comparisons with Bloodfeast versus a vampire, that's kind of missing the point. Of course an Allosaurus is no match for any but maybe the weakest Vampire in a straight up fight, but that's not how Belkar would use him. If the opportune moment arises that the sudden appearance of a giant Allosaurus would give a momentary tactical advantage, that's when it's time to hit Bloodfeast with Dispel Magic.

Which might not make sense in this fight just because of close quarters. But on the other hand, why make such a point of showing where he would be if he's not going to come into play? Chekhov's Dino...

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Wait... WHAT?

A Wizard's ONLY good saves are Will saves, and when Durkon made that observation V had been long separated from the party.
    You're right, my bad. >_>

Still, my point is, trying to neutralize V is probably the Vamps' best shot. If they can turn hir, all the better for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...
    There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChillerInstinct View Post
    You're right, my bad. >_>

Still, my point is, trying to neutralize V is probably the Vamps' best shot. If they can turn hir, all the better for them.
    Oh if they CAN, sure. But even without Mindblank that would have been a High risk strategy. If V has even a moderate Wisdom stat, her saves would be +10 from the Class alone.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Pardon my ignorance here, but do wooden stakes in D&D actually do any damage to vampires outside of as regular piercing weapons?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Colossus in the Playground

A wooden stake through the heart is part of destroying a vampire. Any amount of damage from regular piercing weapons will only force the vampire to return to their coffin to regenerate.

20. - Top - End - #170

There's some D20 variant rules that allow for "Buffy-style" in-combat stakings with any wooden piercing weapon - but those are not the standard rules.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kiapet View Post
    Pardon my ignorance here, but do wooden stakes in D&D actually do any damage to vampires outside of as regular piercing weapons?
    The SRD on vampires: "Driving a wooden stake through a vampire’s heart instantly slays the monster. However, it returns to life if the stake is removed, unless the body is destroyed."

So really what it seems to do is to PARALYZE a vampire while not allowing it to disperse into mist and escape. It keeps the body in one place until you can cremate it or submerge it in holy water or something like that.

I think the "wooden stake" part of vampire myths arises from old beliefs that by pinning a body to the ground it would prevent it from rising at night and attacking the living, which over time morphed from one thing into another. And since a wooden stake through the heart would kill most humans, it's not really a "weakness" IMO so much as it is an exception to a vampire's normal damage-avoidance abilities. That being said, the comic also plays a little loose with the rules sometimes, going for an interpretation that's more fun and/or dramatic, so in this case we might see a version of "staking" vampires that instantly destroys them and turns them to dust or something. Maybe.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2017-08-16 at 10:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

22. - Top - End - #172

Originally, the wood stake had to be of one of the 'sacred woods' of various pre-Christian faiths like Druidism (holly, ash or oak). So it's really just another piece of the 'holy stuff hurts them' pastiche.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    I think the "wooden stake" part of vampire myths arises from old beliefs that by pinning a body to the ground it would prevent it from rising at night and attacking the living, which over time morphed from one thing into another.
    That's an amusing mental image.
    "I really, really want to get up and attack that annoying kid who keeps playing on my lawn...but someone's nailed my foot to the ground. Ugh, it's not worth the effort."
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Hopefully V prepared some Protection from Evil too. Doesn't last as long but there's more to go around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chei View Post
    I'm still holding out for Chekhov's Neutrality, and that Belkar's Protection From Evil clasp will actually work for him. (I know it's a long shot)
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbebatman View Post
    Yeah, you're right, now that I look at the RAW on Protection from Evil, it COMPLETELY blocks mind altering effects. Unless he passes the ring clasp on to a teammate (on account of the burning) it makes the vest pretty superfluous.
    While protection from evil seems indeed a good spell to spam in preparation of such a battle, if there is the chance for some last minute actions before they start to fight, it seems to have an interesting drawback: it doesn't block domination, it blocks only the control and only as long as it is active.

So, for example, Durkula might dominate Belkar, even with the clasp active, then run away, waiting for Belkar turning off the clasp, and bang! The same for the spell, if that is cast on Haley and Elan (according to Durkon, the only one who was supposed to be able to consistently resist the domination was Roy, who, indeed, then managed to resist it in the battle at the Godsmoot).

It seems an unlikely outcome, but still a possibility.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    While protection from evil seems indeed a good spell to spam in preparation of such a battle, if there is the chance for some last minute actions before they start to fight, it seems to have an interesting drawback: it doesn't block domination, it blocks only the control and only as long as it is active.

So, for example, Durkula might dominate Belkar, even with the clasp active, then run away, waiting for Belkar turning off the clasp, and bang! The same for the spell, if that is cast on Haley and Elan (according to Durkon, the only one who was supposed to be able to consistently resist the domination was Roy, who, indeed, then managed to resist it in the battle at the Godsmoot).

It seems an unlikely outcome, but still a possibility.
    I'm pretty sure that's not the intended interpretation...but it's certainly one which opens up some interesting dramatic possibilities. (And possibly comedic—imagine if two members of the Order were dominated, and the others had to switch the Protection-from-Evil clasp between the two of them repeatedly.)
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Originally, the wood stake had to be of one of the 'sacred woods' of various pre-Christian faiths like Druidism (holly, ash or oak). So it's really just another piece of the 'holy stuff hurts them' pastiche.
    A lot of the original (Bram Stoker era) vampire stuff is based on Judeo-Christian beliefs, too, which is where the bits about holy symbols (crosses) and running water come from- because the vampire is a creature of the devil/evil. Trying to utilize all of that in D&D though kinds of runs into problems.

For example, the holy symbol thing. That works out fine if your party cleric always worships Pelor, but a good chunk of the deities in D&D are outright evil, and several govern death/undead, so would a vampire shy away from those holy symbols too? Seems weird, especially when the comic is currently focused on a vampire CLERIC.
    Also, Dracula did have a ton of kick-ass powers but AFAIK there was really only one of him, and even he couldn't create hordes of nigh-unstoppable minions just by nibbling on a few necks.

If anyone wants to utilize vampires in one of their campaigns, I really think you should redo (homebrew) the whole vampire-schtick with the intent of making it work specifically from a game-perspective
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2017-08-16 at 11:44 AM.
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.

27. - Top - End - #177

For example, the holy symbol thing. That works out fine if your party cleric always worships Pelor, but a good chunk of the deities in D&D are outright evil, and several govern death/undead, so would a vampire shy away from those holy symbols too? Seems weird, especially when the comic is currently focused on a vampire CLERIC.
    That's what Rebuke Undead is for - undead are intimidated by Evil holy symbols in the same way as they are repelled by Good holy symbols.

Neutral clerics of Neutral deities have to pick one - Turning effect, or Rebuking effect - and it counts as an aligned act anyway regardless of the cleric's deity being Neutral - the cleric is still channelling Good (or Evil) energies.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by kiapet View Post
    It's a rules oddity. A stake through the heart works on Vampires in D&D land, but there is no enabling rule explaining how you pull the trick off of putting a stake through the heart.

If I were DMing 3.5, and someone wanted to try it, I'd probably allow that it works if you can otherwise immobilize the vampire and Coup-de-grace it with a wooden stake (I'd probably go ahead and give the vampire an auto-fail on the save); and that it also works if the vampire is reduced to 0 HP by a roll that would have been a critical hit vs. a non-undead and that used a wooden stake as an improvised weapon in the attack.

But AFAIK there's no actual rule on this.

It's similar to the way there are spells and items to fix lost limbs, and no actual way to lose a limb in the first place. D&D has a number of spots where the rules reference something happening that can't actually happen within the rules, these are obvious spots for rule zero.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    That's what Rebuke Undead is for - undead are intimidated by Evil holy symbols in the same way as they are repelled by Good holy symbols.

Neutral clerics of Neutral deities have to pick one - Turning effect, or Rebuking effect - and it counts as an aligned act anyway regardless of the cleric's deity being Neutral - the cleric is still channelling Good (or Evil) energies.
    Except it doesn't say that, it just says "[Vampires] recoil from a mirror or a strongly presented holy symbol. These things don’t harm the vampire—they merely keep it at bay. A recoiling vampire must stay at least 5 feet away from a creature holding the mirror or holy symbol and cannot touch or make melee attacks against the creature holding the item for the rest of the encounter."

It doesn't really go into details, not even saying it has to be a holy symbol of a Good deity, which is why it leaves it open to weird interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    It's similar to the way there are spells and items to fix lost limbs, and no actual way to lose a limb in the first place. D&D has a number of spots where the rules reference something happening that can't actually happen within the rules, these are obvious spots for rule zero.
    Do you happen to know of any official rules for broken bones? I never could find any, so I think I made up my own at some point.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2017-08-16 at 12:10 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Except it doesn't say that, it just says "[Vampires] recoil from a mirror or a strongly presented holy symbol. These things don’t harm the vampire—they merely keep it at bay. A recoiling vampire must stay at least 5 feet away from a creature holding the mirror or holy symbol and cannot touch or make melee attacks against the creature holding the item for the rest of the encounter."

It doesn't really go into details, not even saying it has to be a holy symbol of a Good deity, which is why it leaves it open to weird interpretations.
    I like the Dresden Files explanation that vampires are repelled by symbols of faith, and that it doesn't really matter what kind of faith it is as long as its real. Which mixes well with settings where gods are powered by the faith of their worshipers too, since theres already a precedent for it being a fairly powerful type of energy, even if most mortals cant manipulate it directly.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”