New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Banned

Goblin

Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

"Seems an odd way to make money, you know?" Ilvaria continues her casual way of asking questions. "If you're a mage, couldn't you just go to a school or hire yourself to help people? Feels like a much smarter idea than, you know, being part of bandits that hunt innocent folk for a Deamon."

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

"It's not different from what now? I'm sorry, but I'm a little bit book dumb on the subject of magic. Please, enlighten me with your abundance of rhetoric and witticisms! When one travels on the road with only Solys as a companion, one tends to carry out imaginary conversations. Have you nothing more to offer about your role in all of this, Jerrick Overni?"

Genuinely curious, Marius leans forward to hear the young noble scion's reply.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

3. - Top - End - #603
    Colossus in the Playground

Hardcheese noses the prisoner's cheek.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

"Not me," Elirientaru replies as Ilvaria speaks of alternate employment options. "Can I drink?" She asks, giving Hardcheese a brief look that seems like a poor compromise between sour and neutral.

Jerrick sighs. "Than summoning other things. It's the same principle," he says, brows furrowing as he glares at the ground near his shoes. "And no. I've said everything I'll say. I'm not...repeating it."

Spoiler: Jack
    Show
    Jack can tell that Jerrick's mood took a plunge as soon as the words "your role in all this" were spoken.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

5. - Top - End - #605

GreenSorcererElf

Jack pauses, and looks at the amount of water in his prepared cup. After a few moments, he nods to Elirientaru. "Certainly. This might be a bit awkward, but since we can't really trust you untied..." He approaches her, holding the cup, clearly prepared to tilt it so she could drink from it when she was ready.

Sounds like Jerrick's getting grilled, and isn't liking it. Tough luck for him, since this is apparently all his fault, eithe rby accident, or plan.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

6. - Top - End - #606
    Banned

Goblin

"Why are you saying "not me?"" Ilvaria for the first time looks concerned. "Anyone can help people, if they choose to. Why couldn't you?" She looks now not only concerned but also slighty confused, looks at Elirientaru less like a bandit who helped imprison her and more like someone whom she is trying to crack down.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

Elirientaru doesn't seem to mind the awkward say she drinks, drinking one, then another full mouthful of water before nodding. As Ilvaria speaks, she's silent. "Fancy schools don't want me, and all I can do is fight, with my spells."

8. - Top - End - #608

GreenSorcererElf

And... that, I think, has whetted her appetite for water, so time for another question. Removing the slowly refilling tool of water, Jack asks another question, his voice gently encouraging. "What can you tell us about the leader of the Parchment Eaters?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

"Fair enough! I’m hardly an expert on these things, myself. My own magic runs closer to prestidigitation and parlour tricks." Marius’ smile is a cat perched on a windowsill, languid and patient. With a practiced grace, the mercenary unstops one of his strange iron vials and takes a sip.

Smacking his lips noisily, Marius considers Jerrick openly for another moment. "Ah, now that is perfection. Would you care for a taste? This is a sealord vintage, purchased at a choice discount."
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

10. - Top - End - #610
    Banned

Goblin

"Who told you you can only use that magic for crime?" Ilvaria asks, still concerned about the mage's story. "there are so many good uses for this kind of abbilities. You could join city gurds, become a bodyguard, enlist to army, scare away the bandits." She starts speaking passonatelly. "Think of fire. Fire isn't good or bad. It can burn a house. It can burn your skin. But it can also warm you and your family during the winter. It can cook your meals. When forests burn, sometimes people burn away few trees way ahead of the fire, so that it has nowhere to spread." Her eyes seem to themselves light with fire as she is saying those words. "Power is not good or bad. It is your choice how you use it."
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2018-04-25 at 04:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

Marius turns. It's not so much that he didn't notice the drow before - her beautiful features definitely made an impression at their first meeting - but this time it's her words that keep the man's attention. He smiles and nods in her direction perhaps a moment longer than is necessary.

"Truly, I could not have said it better myself. Magic is a tool, like any other."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2018-04-25 at 12:38 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

Jerrick shakes his head, grimacing and waving away the offered vial. "Not to be rude, but sealords are trash. Except the Kintargan one."

Elirientaru frowns. "Jerrick, or Orv?" She asks Jack, before Ilvaria begins her speech. "I'm not a guard," she mutters. "I'd rather not spend my day patrolling streets for a few coins, too."

As Marius adds his voice to Ilvaria's, Jerrick shrugs. "Sure, but if you've got a sword, and you don't have the temperament to be a guard...Your options are limited," he says. "Especially if you have expensive tastes."

13. - Top - End - #613

GreenSorcererElf

Jack shrugs, the unwieldy cup still refilling from the rain. His smile seems to be rather... predatory, as he senses the chance to get to the meat of things. "Both, of course, dear Elirientaru."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Elirientaru shrugs. "Jerrick's some washed-up noble who failed the Academae and was scared ****less of Orv. Orv is a nasty thing with tentacles for arms that likes magic and killing. And eating souls, when it gets the chance."

Off to the side, Jerrick frowns, clearly not pleased by Elirientaru's description of him but saying nothing.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2018-04-30 at 06:39 AM.

15. - Top - End - #615

GreenSorcererElf

Jack nods thoughtfully, but senses something amiss. She referred to Jerrick and Orv as leaders, not just Orv. And this doesn't match with that. "Why did you consider Jerrick one of the leaders, then? And how often does Orv visit the camps?"
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2018-04-30 at 06:44 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

16. - Top - End - #616
    Banned

Goblin

"Do you really think a life where a "nasty thing with tentacles" comes to visit you regularly is much better than patrolling the streets or being an adventurer?" Ilvaria asks, indicating that no, she isn't giving up on this subject.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

"Orv didn't visit. At least, far as I could tell," Elirientaru says. "It stuck around in the big tent. And it's because he was giving orders. If you're a sailor, and your captain answers to a sea monster, they're still both your bosses, aren't they?" She asks with a smirk, before turning to Ilvaria. "Well, it wasn't great, but until today no one stabbed me, so there's that."

18. - Top - End - #618

GreenSorcererElf

Jack's pleasant facade remains, as he listens to Eilrientaru's explanation. So, he gave orders. But what sort? It doesn't really matter, I suppose, but I do prefer finishing things I started, so... last question, I hope. Well, ok, last two questions. "What sort of orders did he give, and do you know about any other Parchment Eaters in the vicinity?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #619
    Banned

Goblin

"Yes, and look where it got you. Not to be inconsiderate, but it feels to me that it stopped paying out at some point, you know?" Ilvaria continues pushing Elirientaru. "I mean, let's be honest. Both you and I will one day run out of luck with our professions and die. That's how things are. Next time either of us loses a fight it might not be against people who merely wants to capture us. But do you really want to go knowing if anyone remembers you, it will be as a badit?"

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Eilrientaru explains Jerrick's role as being the one giving orders, though Orv's interests were clearly the central factor in most. She doesn't give Ilvaria more than a shrug and some vague murmuring about not being remembered either way, her appetite for discussion with the drow seemingly gone.

Not long after Eilrientaru falls into silence, Jerrick clears his throat. "So," he says. "Where are...that is, what's...our goal, for, where to go tomorrow?" He asks, looking between Ilvaria, Jack, and the other three, clearly expecting three sides to emerge.

21. - Top - End - #621

GreenSorcererElf

Jack frowns, but offers Eilrientaru more water, as he considers things. Hm... sounds consistent with Jerrick's story, but it definitely paints Jerrick as a fool. I suppose it doesn't really matter to me either way. However, regarding where we're going... with any luck, Ilvaria will stop complaining about Orv, since the newcomers seem to be reasonably competent. She can convince them. And they were looking for Jerrick, so if I can get in on that reward? After he finishes watering the prisoner, he speaks up. "Well, as far as that goes... is Jerrick's father offering a reward for his return?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #622

"To the people he hired, yes." Solys answers Jack. This mission has her at the end of her tether. "I'm sure he'd buy you a loaf of bread for keeping his son's hair tidy for all of an hour."

23. - Top - End - #623

GreenSorcererElf

Jack offers Solys one of his trademarked grins. "I'm sure he'd be willing to reward those who helped return Jerrick. And I suspect you might find my skills to be useful, should you encounter further difficulties."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

24. - Top - End - #624

"We've traveled across half of Korvosa and taken down a bandit camp to find Jerrick. You have...ran away from that bandit camp.." Solys tells Jack, unimpressed with his grin. "So, you're not getting a cut of our earnings. If you really want something, I can offer you a punch in the face."

25. - Top - End - #625

GreenSorcererElf

Jack's broad grin remains intact, despite Solys's disagreement. "We arranged a stealthy departure from the camp for Jerrick, yes. That way, there was no risk that the bandits would kill him in retaliation for betraying them." His smile fades a little as he considers how Solys would be looking at it. "Of course, we succeeded, making it very hard to compare experiences."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

26. - Top - End - #626
    Banned

Goblin

"I couldn't care less about the money. But we're not taking Jerrick back to Korvosa." Ilvaria says with firm conviction in her voice. "He is pursued by Orv, a daemon who preys on mages and collects secrets. One good thing Jerrick did was to lead him out of the city with a magic academy. We cannot allow Orv to get back, he might easily hide and continue hunting mages until he'll grow too powerful to be dealth with. The consequences could be unimaginable. If you want to put all those lives at risk just for a few coins...." She gives Solys a challening look, while grasping her spear firmly. "....let's just say that would be extremely unwise."

27. - Top - End - #627

Solys puts a finger to her temple as she listens to the equally annoying arguments from the two people. "No money for you." She tells Jack, then addresses Ilvaria. "See, see here, it's - it's, you go to a baker to learn how to bake. You go to a smith to learn about smithing. You go to a mage to learn about...weird ****. The Academy will know what to do, you'll learn how to stab a daemon, Jerrick's father gets him back, and I get to be done with this." She says, glancing up, seeing Ilvaria gripping her spear, and snorting. "What are you going to do, run away at me?"
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2018-05-09 at 10:08 AM.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Banned

Goblin

As Solys finishes speaking, she finds Ilvaria's spear pointed at her throat.
    "I don't like bullies. Do not think that just because you are big I will let you treat everyone around you like trash." She looks Solys in the eye with full defiance. "And maybe we would be mroe willing to listen to you if you actually thought of anything but the coins. Which you clearly don't. She puts her spear back and calms down. "We can find other places to inform us on Orv, a temple for example. We might even figure out why it leached to Jerrick in the first place, isntead of staying in the city." She gives Jerrick himself a look. "Except if there is something you would like to share with us, of course."

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

With a sigh, Marius draws his own blade to point it at the drow in response to her own show of aggression. The man’s expression is a mixture of caution and boredom.

"Not that she needs me to come to her defense, but I’m with Solys here. Sorry love - you’re gorgeous, but I signed on for a job, and I intend to see it through. So how about you put away the steel so I can put away mine?"
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

30. - Top - End - #630

Solys raises an eyebrow when Ilvaria points a spear at her, and nods with what Marius says. "I'm just sitting here and talking. You're the one waving your stick around." She doesn't know what Marius' comment on Ilvaria's looks has to do with anything, but she appreciate shim having her back anyway. She'd challenge the woman's assumptions about her motivations, but she doesn't really care.