New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

Solys rushes towards the tiny creature and lashes out with her tentacle, in the hopes of capturing the toothy bastard.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Handy switchy agogo charge tentacle grab attack.

(1d20+14)[27]
    Damage: (1d6+11)[17]

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Having run through the caster - with a degree of satisfaction that fades quickly as he watches her bleed out - Marius turns to face the new threat in time to watch Solys charge headlong at it. Sighing softly to himself, the rake steps forward calmly, flicking the blood from off of his blade. He won't attack yet, but best to stay close in case it decides to become a threat.

Spoiler: Round 6 Actions
    Show
    Marius is going to move so that he's about 30 ft away from the abomination, and then end his turn. I don't think he can make it this round, and he's not interested in charging in yet.

Spoiler: Marius, Round 6
    Show
    Marius "Bonaventure" Cabral
    Male Chaotic Neutral Human Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) // Sorcerer 3, Level 3, Init 5, HP 24/24, DR -, Speed 30 ft
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 5, Ref 7, Will 3, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Masterwork Rapier +8 (1d6+6, 18-20x2)
    Dagger +6 (1d4, 19-20x2)
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex, +0 Misc)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 18
    Condition None
    Inspired Panache 5/5
    Sorcerer Spells Known 0th level (∞) -- detect magic, ghost sound, mage hand, mending, message
    1st level (5/6) -- alarm, obscuring mist, shield, true strike
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Solys, Marius, Sivudu
    Show
    Sivudu's healing energy washes over those present, the fallen mage's breathing growing steady as she's dragged back from death's doorstep. He and Marius advance as Solys barrels forwards. As her tentacle lashes out, the floating maw-thing unleashes a flurry of rather vile noises. To Marius and Solys, the sounds are merely syllable vomit, nonsense imbued with a great deal of bile.

Then Solys reaches the creature, and her tentacle lashes out, wrapping around it with great force. Odd, black-red blood with an almost oily sheen erupts from it where the tendril strikes hard enough that it seems likely for a moment that she will simply crush the odd being. However, after a moment it becomes clear that it still lives, as it makes an odd howling, gargling sound and thrashes impotently within Solys' grasp.

Spoiler: Sivudu
    Show
    Sivudu, however, can understand the creature, as it hurls Infernal swears. "Called, to this!" It screeches, before launching into a series of obscenities best not lingered on. "Immediately! I'll never answer another!" It howls, as Solys reaches it.

Then, all present feel a simultaneous shift in their perception. Something is there, making mental contact in a manner somewhat analogous to a formerly unseen entity clearing its throat. Something like a voice follows, something that couldn't belong to a human or any similar being. <How unusual. You will be observed. What can be picked from you, will be consumed,> it 'says', the words forming within your minds with a decidedly threatening tone. Then the connection disappears.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I can post a map if it's wanted, but I don't think it's necessary. Combat is over, as the last remaining baddie is helplessly stuck in Solys' grasp.

Spoiler: Ilvaria, Jack
    Show
    Jerrick frowns. "I," he begins, then stops. He laughs, for a moment, though there isn't much joy in it. "Doubt I'll do more conjuring. And...I don't think so. She gave me the potion, then...she left, not long after. I hadn't seen her for a week, when I used it," he explains. "And, I know. I spent days looking through every book I could find, on potions. And it shouldn't have been possible, but..."

Jerrick pauses, looking down at his hands. "I can't describe it. But, when I drank it, there was...power, going through me. I knew I could do it. I felt that I could summon it, when I couldn't before."
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

4. - Top - End - #514

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler: Ilvaria, Personman
    Show

Jack frowns at Jerrick's explanations.
    He certainly seems convinced, but... all of this comes togeather rather neatly if the potion was a fake. It doesn't if it was real.
    He speaks, his voice kind, clearly trying to break some terrible news.
    "Jerrick... which seems more likely to you: She simply giving you a potion with a power unheard of from any potion, or... she gave you a potion that allowed her to alter your memories, to trick you into serving her?"
    He pauses for a few moments, to let that sink in again, before he continues.
    "Did you do any research on the potion before drinking it?"
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2018-03-16 at 04:34 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #515
    Halfling in the Playground

The monk cannot help it; at the explosion of annoyance and outrage from the summoned minion, he laughs, amusement creasing his face. This lasts until the moment that the voice from beyond speaks straight into his thoughts, the unnatural arrival of awareness disturbing and unsettling to the monk. He frowns, and says as he steps closer to the restrained monster. "Solys, a moment please. The floating mouth might have something of use to say."

He switches to Infernal, and says in it's menacing and exacting phonemes,"You, unfortunate creature, unjustly called into an embarrassing situation. That voice which just spoke into us, that voice which spoke from Outside. Do you know it? Speak quickly on that, or whatever else you may know, so I may intercede with the large, horned one and convince her to not thrash you further." When he mentions Solys, Sivu gestures at the giant which presently restrains the singular maw.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy: (1d20)[8]+7

6. - Top - End - #516
    Banned

Goblin

Spoiler: Jack, PersonMan
    Show

Ilvaria rolls her eyes as Jerric tries to describe Civelis, but if Drow could, she would blush visibly. "We are looking for a dark-haired, tanned, easy for the eyes sorcerres. That narrows it down." She hides both of those feelings behind some sarcasm.

"Jack, your theory is interesting, but it lacks...how do you call it...A motive?" She says later in the conversation. "I mean, what would Civelis get from going such a roundabout way to get her claws and daemon on a guy who doesn't seem like someone rich or connected, seeing he couldn't just hire a turtor or something." She asks, maybe a bit too harshly but she wants to see Jerrick's reaction. "There are kinds of evil people who would do such horrible things for their own, sick amusement, of course. But either Jerrick is extremely unlucky to be picked by such a vile person as a target or..." She pauses then looks at the man. "Or you are more than you are telling us."

7. - Top - End - #517

Solys breathes heavily while Sivudu appears to have a conversation with the creature thoroughly tangled up in her tentacle. She decides he can do that while she takes a break from tearing up the battlefield.

8. - Top - End - #518

GreenSorcererElf

Show

Jack seems to be surprised by Ilvaria's reaction to his theory, but, busy with his task of concealing their tracks, doesn't notice her reaction to Civelis.
    Should I speak up here? No, anything I say'll just make Ilvaria feel foolish, and I think I need her assistance far more than I need this Jerrick's. Hopefully, he'll clear things up for her. If not, I might be able to explain more subtly? And I wonder how many he killed to make those soul gems the daemon seems to be so interested in. Sleep is going to be... interesting. And if he's made other enemies, beyond being a mass murderer... Abandoning him at the first reasonable opportunity seems like an excellent idea to me.
    He remains silent, contenting himself with concealing their tracks, as best as he could manage.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2018-03-18 at 07:55 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    The strange thing pauses in its flailings as Sivudu begins speaking to it, and given the lack of a crushing execution by Solys seems to calm down. This is no more than an educated guess, of course. The creature lacks much body language, as it is little more than a giant mouth with eyes, and even its facial expressions are limited to those involving a giant, open mouth.

Show
    "Ahh! It speaks!" The creature replies after a moment. "What do I know?! Many things! Great, small, of all sorts! I don't know voices, only things! Don't ask me for voices, I'm never called for voices! Just gems! Chew and swallow and gems!"

Spoiler: Jack, Ilvaria
    Show
    "I just said I did," Jerrick replies to Jack's question about researching the potion. "And do you know of any spells that implant, replace or overwrite memories that are in potion form?"

At Ilvaria's musings, Jerrick frowns. "I did," he mumbles, then frowns as she continues, turning to her. "Are you serious?" He asks. "Oh, yes, just believe some made-up idea about what happened, and assume I'm a liar because of it. That makes sense. That's a good idea. Not like it doesn't - doesn't follow, at all! It's Erilia's garbage all over again."

10. - Top - End - #520

GreenSorcererElf

Show

At Jerrick's answer, Jack nods.
    "Several. Admittedly, not standard potions, but quite doable. A potion of sleep would allow for another spell to be used, there are is a bardic spell that alters your memories as well."
    He lets his voice trail off, before he continues.
    "Yes, there are a few ways to do something like that."
    Seeing Jerrick go off on Ilvaria, Jack shakes his head, and speaks up.
    "Jerrick, no one has accused you of lying. But from what you've said, it doesn't sound like you were ever in control of Orv. Combine that with Civelis setting you up to "summon" it, and it sounds like a setup to me. Perhaps there are details you haven't mentioned to us that would change things? Or, in a more immediate fashion, assuming that Orv is after you... what can you tell us about it's abilities? Or... who's Erilia?"
    (1d20+16)[17] Diplomacy(Trying to calm Jerrick)
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2018-03-18 at 06:19 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #521
    Banned

Goblin

Show

"I did not call you a liar." Ilvaria says as calmly as she can, trying to ease the tension. "I am just asking simple question: why you? Why should this Civelis either help you or, as Jack theorizes, try to have a leverage over you? What makes you so special? From what you said yourself I doubt it's because she is impressed by your magic power, so what is it?" She asks. "And yes, who is Erilia?" She adds, echoing Jack's question.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20+8)[24] Diplomacy
    (1d20+5)[9] Sense Motive

12. - Top - End - #522

The monk strokes one of his mustaches as he listens; he speaks the thing's language, but it's slippery and strange to his ears nonetheless. " Who calls you? What gems? Do you chew them, or do you get them for chewing?," Sivudu continues to pepper the strange little creature with questions, and then says in Common to the more bipedal people present," It say that it's summoned to eat gems. Or eat things in exchange for gems. Sound like anything anyone knows about?"

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Show
    "Eat the soul! Eat the soul, chew, chew, swallow - spit gem! Soul gem!" The creature babbles; Sivudu notices that it's switched from one grammatical case to another without the correct number of syllables in the transferring sentence to be polite. As-is, the creature is expressing a sense of surprise at Sivudu's ignorance.

Show
    "And that requires the caster to be present," Jerrick says, as Jack mentions the spells. "She was gone for a week, and I doubt she snuck into my room to cast spells on me in the middle of the night." He seems ready to continue, but as Ilvaria speaks he goes quiet. "I don't know why she would," he says. "Erilia is someone at the Academae. She starts rumors, and is good at making people believe them."

"Orv can turn invisible, telepathically connect to those near it, and roast people with rays of fire," Jerrick continues after a moment. "He can teleport short distances. All of this uses some kind of...inner reserve of power he has," he says, and shrugs. "I don't know much about the specifics. Some of it's similar to spells I know of, but not all."

14. - Top - End - #524

GreenSorcererElf

Show

Jack shrugs at Jerrick's words.
    "Keeping out of sight wouldn't have been impossible, but I am absolutely certain that there is more to your story. But to what end?"
    He looks at Jarrick, and shrugs.
    "I certainly don't know. Getting involved with cults and such... doesn't end well."
    Almost unconsciously, he looks down at his left hand, and the gem therein, before he continues, somewhat quickly.
    "Telepathically connect? Is that reading minds, or just mental communication?"
    Doesn't sound like something I really want to be messing with. Hopefully, it isn't following.
    Despite himself, Jack looks around warily, looking for an invisible creature.
    (1d20+7)[27] perception.
    (1d20+5)[17] know: planes(Can Jack piece together anything else from Jerrick's description?)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #525

Sivudu makes the sort of expression one would upon biting into a piece of fruit that is unexpectedly tart, and shakes his head slowly. He announces to those non-demonic around him," This creature claims that it chews... that it consumes souls, and turns them into gems. Soul Gems. Ringing any bells for anyone yet? I'm going to ask it if it knows anything about, well, restoring them in some way, but I'm doubting it. Not like a wolf knows mending a mauled arm."

Once more, and probably for the last time, Sivu interrogates the wriggling mouth that is held in Solys's tentacle's iron grip. "How do you save the souls from the gems. Break them?"

16. - Top - End - #526

"How do...how do you eat a soul?" Solys asks. "It's not here. It's somewhere else. Wouldn't it have eaten my soul just now if it could do it?"

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Show
    "Break, free soul. Big revive magic, steal soul!"

Spoiler: Solys
    Show
    Hardcheese seems to perk up at Sivudu's description. Solys gets a feeling from her, that these Soul Gems are connected to some sort of group, down beneath, with generalized malice and a central position. Extraplanar in nature.

Show
    Jack's search of his surroundings reveals nothing out of the ordinary. Jerrick shrugs. "It communicated telepathically. I doubt it reads minds, at least all the time, or it would have known my plan."

18. - Top - End - #528

GreenSorcererElf

Show

Listening to Jerrick's answer, Jack seems to be relieved.
    "That should make things eaiser."
    He pauses, before continuing, albeit in a totally different direction.
    "Do we have a destination, beyond somewhere else? Because while I can handle camping, it isn't my preferred method of sleeping."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #529
    Banned

Goblin

Show

Drow girl gets quiet, letting Jack lead the conversation, before chiming in with one more question.
    "Why are you running to? Do you have any plan how to combat this thing or someone to ask for help? Or just plan to run and let Orv kill people in your trail until he runs into someone strong enough to defeat it?"
    Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20+4)[16] Knowledge planes to see if new data about the daemon yields any additional knowledge of it.

20. - Top - End - #530

"Uh...below...malicious...extraplanar..." Solys mumbles. "Yeah."

21. - Top - End - #531

" The devil-demon thing said, and I quote.. 'break, free soul, big revive magic, steal soul'. So. That might be all we're getting out of it. ... So I suppose keep your eyes peeled for any gems," offers Sivu, before asking," What do we do with this thing?"

Spoiler
    Show

I'll be putting my text color in when I get home.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Jack, Ilvaria
    Show
    "I was going to go to Kaer Maga," Jerrick says, as Jack asks about destinations. "But Baslwief is close, just over the Sarwin. That could..." As Ilvaria speaks, he goes quiet, and frowns. "Well, I can't stop Orv. And I don't think it'd chase me, if I can get far enough away quickly. It'll just...go to the Academae, or something. Somewhere with lots of conjurers and evokers who can chain it up and blow it back to Abaddon."

Spoiler: Ilvaria
    Show
    Ilvaria has heard of a type of daemon that is strongly associated with magic - or, rather, death by magic. Called 'venedaemons', they have access to an array of magical powers and hunger for arcane knowledge to gain more.

Show
    The small, mostly-mouth thing seems unsettled by the pause, but does nothing.

23. - Top - End - #533

"Enough of this." Solys decides. "Let's put it in a box until we know what to do with it."

24. - Top - End - #534

GreenSorcererElf

Show

Jack frowns as he thinks over Jerrick's words.
    Hm... if Orv is looking for Jerrick, going to the closest town probably isn't a good decision, and Baslwief isn't likely to have the ability to protect Jerrick from Orv. It's also a mining town, which means boring. So, let's see if we can not go there.
    A few moments later, he speaks up.
    "Baslwief's probably a place best avoided, since it probably won't be able to help with your daemon problem, and is likely to be fairly high on Orv's list of places to look for you. Kaer Maga is probably a better long term plan."
    Sounds like he's definitely abandoning the Acadame. Which is probably a good decision for him. But leaving Orv to them... not so good.
    "I'd recommend you see if you can come up with a plan to handle Orv yourself, if you can. It might not go back to the Acadame. Maybe hiring mercenaries?"
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2018-03-26 at 08:37 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #535
    Banned

Goblin

Show

"So your plan is to just...run away and hope someone else will deal with it?" Ilvaria looks and Jerrick with disbelief. "Are you really okay with death of any innocent people he might find on his path. Anyone who will be killed by this thing while you fleed is your responsibility." She puts her arm on his shoulder. "I understand you are scared, I am too. But just running to the ends of Golarion will not solve anything. And is this really the life you want, always covering in fear?"

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy (1d20+8)[12]

She then starts walking in a small cricle, thinking loudly.
    "I could be wrong, but from everything you said about this creature, it sounds like a Venedaemon. They kill via arcane magic and seek more of it to gain new ways to kill. Orv going to Academae is the worst thing to do, he will just hide and feed on other magic users, growing in power until he becomes a serious threat. Going to bigger towns is out for the same reason." Pauses, thinking for a moment. "If we know he is coming after us, we should find a secure location, use Jerrick as a bait and then hit him with everything we've got. Going to Baslwief and maybe find some help before we do that could also be an option. We don't know how pwoerful this particular Venedaemon is but somehow I doubt it's a pushoever. Closest town could at least have a Cleric to watch our back." She proposes.
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2018-03-26 at 05:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #536

GreenSorcererElf

Show

Jack shakes his head at Livaria's plan.
    "I hate to break it to you, Ilvaria, but neither Jerrick nor I would be of much help in a fight. I'm good at avoiding those, not winning them. And Jerrick, well..."
    He lets his voice trail off, before he continues.
    "If Orv dying is a good you want to pursue, we'll need to recruit allies. And Baslwief... isn't a good spot for that. It's a small mining town. Sure, the miners can handle an orc or two, or a goblin, but a daemon?"
    Jack shakes his head once more.
    "They're not prepared, equipped, or trained for that kind of fight. We're more likely to find help that will survive at Kaer Maga, and if Orv feeds on magic, it'll have no reason to go to Baslwief."
    And if I can convince you to go to Kaer Maga instead, I can decline to ever encounter this daemon, which seems like a good plan.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #537
    Banned

Goblin

Show

"The thing is that if we go to Kaer Maga, we risk losing the Daemon in a city that has much more targets for him than a small mining town." Ilvaria shakes her head. "And there could be at least some aid, maybe few sellswords or a cleric, it could be enough. And we cannot just pass town not sure Orv will as well, we might be dooming them to die."

28. - Top - End - #538

GreenSorcererElf

Show

Jack nods at Ilvaria's statement.
    She's entirely right about the risks. But that's not really a problem.
    "That is a risk. But it will take days to walk to Kaer Maga, giving us the time to assess if we're being followed, or not. If we are, we can rethink things. If we're not, then we've already lost it, and it'll be handled by someone else. Probably. If Orv eats arcane energies, it's not likely to be interested in a mining town. Baslweif... isn't exactly on our way to Kaer Maga either."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    In a few moments, Sivudu takes a small wooden box he saw while going through the large tent during the battle and empties it of its contents - a small collection of quills - before bringing it over to where Solys keeps the mouthy creature in her grasp. With only a stern look needed to ensure it doesn't try anything, the creature is easily transferred into the box, which is closed with a click of its simple mechanism - no more than a piece of wood that can be turned to block the opening of the door-like lid, but likely enough to contain the juggernaut of physical force within.

Show
    Jerrick frowns. "I, er," he says, after a lengthy silence, before coughing. "I don't think Orv has any special interest in me," he says. "Beyond, well, me having magical knowledge. If we go to Kaer Maga, it won't follow us to there unless there's nowhere else to learn from..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    A note on local geography - while not being in a direct line, going to Baslwief, then to Melfesh, then going upriver by boat to Kaer Maga is probably the fastest route, given how the roads are set up and the speed of river travel.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Banned

Goblin

Show

"Then we don't go to Kaer Maga." Ilvaria decides. "We need to find a way to stop this thing, not just hope it runs away. We will go to nearest town, Baslweif or whatever, and we will ressuply, find help and hunt that thing down."