New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

CECIL

Like a shark scenting blood in the water, like a wolf sensing prey in the night, like an archer in mid-pull, mind and body and soul focused on the target, Cecil turned and his attention dialed to a white-hot intensity on young Lady Caelia.

Two quick steps brought him before her and, if there was any thought that he had reached his pinnacle of hat-sweeping before, well the grandiosity and complex eloquence of this hat-sweep-bow set all those thoughts to shame.

He bowed, leg out, hand to heart, while the other took the hat from atop his head and swirled down and around, feather rippling in the breeze, and then he stood, keeping the hat in one hand, pressed to his chest.

He took the young lady's hand and bowed over it and offered it the very soul of a polite, chaste kiss.

"Lady Caelia. Surely the endless rumours of your beauty and skill and competence are but the errant shadows of reality. Allow me, please, to introduce myself, if the sound of my common voice does not offend the tender sensibilities of your finely formed ear."

He stood. Smiled. And if his previous smiles were bright, this one was the very sun.

"I am Cecil Sicilia, called Cecil of Song, Cecil of Sword, Cecil of Lute and Flute. I am Cecil the Stupendous, Cecil the Superfluous, Cecil the Superior Swain. And if, by my life, or my death, I may offer service to you, however humble, you need only ask, and indeed it shall be done."

It was a little much, even for Cecil. But it had been almost a whole day since he'd gotten to make a spectacle of himself in front of a young noble lady. And he had to make up for lost time.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

"Oh, Calistria..." Solys vocalizes without realizing it.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Cecil the Sebaceous, going by the amount of overcooked cheese in the room" Tsōlg remarks, snidely.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

"At the very least, he is not so bad of a liar as to add something like Cecil the Modest to his list of titles." Vesta felt sorry for the young noble's situation, but at the same time was grateful that his attentions had not turned toward herself.

"What is it that you've gone to such great lengths as to call us to your home for, m'lord?" Unlike this Cecil, the elf had little patience for flair and dramatization. Vesta was hoping that some of this evening might be salvaged with time to relax if this secretive mission was not to her taste.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, my apologies," Salvin says to Rakinen. "I did not mean that we know each other - rather, that I know some things about you that others in the room may not, due to having gathered information about you beforehand," he explains, nodding at Tsōlg. Caelia is about to comment, only for Cecil to promptly steal the show. The noblewoman smiles, and laughs briefly as he finishes.

"Be careful who you make such a pledge to," Caelia says after a moment. "Were I a touch crueler, I might command you to go and fix the doorway. But instead I'll ask you to do what my father was about to mention," she looks to the man, who sports a slight smile and nods to her silently. "My brother, Jerrick. We think something has happened to him, and want you to go figure it out - and bring him back."

After a moment's pause, her father speaks. "I would greatly prefer it if you did your best to keep the matter less than public, if you would. While it may be difficult to avoid attracting attention, please refrain from making it clear what your task is and do be inconspicuous...whenever possible," he says.

Spoiler: Everyone but Solys and Tsōlg
    Show
    Salvin is hiding something, with regards to his bit about not making things obvious.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2017-08-16 at 12:48 PM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sir, with all respect," Rakinen intoned with a definite edge to his voice, "I'm very sorry to hear about your son... Jerrick, you said? I respect your desire to keep this within your family, and you probably know that if there's any way I can actually be of assistance I will -- though I don't see how -- but..."

Rakinen bowed his head slightly, as if peering over his nonexistent glasses. He had been pleading with Solys earlier; this was closer to a demand. "If you've done your research as you say you have, you should know that if I'm to do this there can be no secrets between us. Starting now." He looked around the room. "That goes for the rest of you, too."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Tsōlg leans back, his eyes narrowing at the mention of their goal, and for a fleeting moment, concern crosses the goblinoid's features. Grey lips are pressed into oblivion as he falls quiet for a time. After a while, he speaks

"Jerrick was my... comrade. I will help to find him."

At Rakinen's words, the Hobgoblin raises an eyebrow in a moment of confusion before looking back to Salvin with slightly suspicious eyes before he smirks. "I disagree. Secrets are important, and I intend to keep mine. I'm sure we'll be told anything relevant or important."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm sorry that my integrity isn't something you consider 'relevant', mercenary. It is to me.

Kurgess grant me patience, for I have none left."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Tsōlg rolls his eyes at this point. "It's an amusing trait I've noticed among pinkskins. It is not enough to merely be honest and tell the truth, but apparently you want everyone to blurt out everything within their hearts in every conversation. Keeping something private is tantamount to villainy. Unless of course, it's something you want to keep to yourself." He laughs. "Personally, I like to give only pertinent information to others. It saves time, and ensures that communication is clear, without all this emotive blather."

10. - Top - End - #40

Being brown, Solys has nothing to say on Tsolg's thoughts. Hardcheese feels that a racist tirade isn't the best way to save time, but she's got a flower and no way of communicating this thought with the potgoblin,, so she doesn't. The skinwalker just stands there, glad that all she has to do is listen for the moment.
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2017-08-16 at 08:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

"Very well," Salvin says with a sigh, holding up a hand to cut off anyone who may be about to respond to Tsōlg. "I did not tell you the full depth of my plan. It is my intent that, given the nature of your group, any well-hidden spies watching for a response will become aware of you, and that your presence will pressure them into contacting me," he explains. "Of course, this is all within the realm of the hypothetical, at present. We currently know only that Jerrick has stopped contacting us, and a recent planned visit ended with us being informed he was no longer on campus at the Academae."

Caelia, who seems to have swallowed whatever else she wanted to say in favor of half-glaring at her father as he spoke, frowns and speaks up. "That is to say - they didn't let us in. Because if no family is inside, we can't visit, even to try and find out where they went. So we have to send you, using some sort of obnoxious loophole, to investigate."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen had had enough of talking, and jumping over the table to strangle a hobgoblin wasn't socially acceptable in the current environment, so he guzzled the remainder of his water mug, poured another, and began guzzling that, all with an ugly expression of anger and confusion. His face only mollified when Lady Caelia spoke; he put down the glass long enough catch her eye and silently mouth two words: thank you. Then he refilled his glass, again, and sipped, a bit more slowly.

13. - Top - End - #43

CECIL

Cecil stood, stroking his chin in a manner he felt very serious and sagacious. He often thought he should grown a beard so he could stroke it in just this fashion. Nothing quite made a man seem more wise and competent than a sagacious beard stroking.

"Obnoxious, eh? Loophole, eh? And have you such a thing near to hand? Or is the first part of our service to be a detailed crawl through the Acadamae residency bylaws?"

His voice indicated quite clearly what he thought of THAT idea. If it came down to it, he was pretty sure he'd rather lie his way in, than research it.

If there was one thing Cecil was good at, it was obnoxious.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

"Rarely-applied clauses in two rules regulating who has access to the campus grounds," Salvin says. "I disagree with my daughter's summation of the matter as an 'obnoxious loophole', but the important matter is that it will allow you to enter and move with relative freedom within the Academae as long as you are on family business. Our family's business, that is."

Caelia nods to Rakinen as Salvin speaks. "I guess I shouldn't be too critical - as long as it's helping us find out why Jerrick has gone quiet."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Tsōlg nods, reaching up with one long fingered hand to tap against his chin. "Ye-es, I see the plan. Although I may need to check the library. For purposes related to finding Jerrick, of course." he says, fooling nobody.

16. - Top - End - #46

CECIL

Cecil gave Tsolg (or however you said it) a knowing side-long glance. "Of course, friend hobgoblin. Just like it may behoove me to investigate the female dormitory. In case he has been kidnapped or is being held ransom. Or the like."

17. - Top - End - #47

Solys gently furrows her brow. Not because Cecil's going to be scouting the female dormitories during the day, though that is a confusing course of action. "Salvin," She breathes. "What do you imagine is my part in this plot?"
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2017-08-17 at 09:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen paid no attention to... well, anybody, really. He sat in silence, rested his now-empty glass on the table, and with his left forefinger traced the markings on his right arm. After about a minute, he mumbled barely loudly enough for anyone to hear "yes".

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Salvin pauses for a moment, eyebrow raised, seeming ready to say something in response to Cecil's comment before Solys speaks. He nods. "There may be doorways blocking your way," he says.

"...Or other matters that require the use or threat of physical force. I would rather hire you all and send you out on a peaceful investigation than see the endeavor fail and my son disappear for good because the investigators could not defend themselves against knives in the dark."

20. - Top - End - #50

"That doesn't seem a good plan." Solys says, after a few moments of thought. "They're wizards. And if the plan is to throw us at them until the whole school overwhelms us...."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

"'They?'" Salbin asks, raising an eyebrow. "I don't intend for you to assault the Academae. I merely want you to be able to apply force when and where it is necessary."

22. - Top - End - #52

Solys shakes her head. "Won't all of them get upset if one of them gets hit, or dies?"

23. - Top - End - #53

CECIL

Cecil touches the back of the Skinwalker's hand. Gently. Carefully. He didn't want to surprise her when she was in some distress. Partly because he didn't like it when she was in distress. And partly because she could crush his head like a melon if she so much as turned around the wrong way.

"Hey, Solys," he said, "We're on step one, here. That's, like, step 438. And hopefully we don't even get there. The man wants us to go in and look around. We're allowed to be there. Obnoxious loophole, right? So no one's gonna just up and attack us. But if anyone gets into our faces, well, you're there. Yeah?"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

"I assume that not involving the Guard directly is to avoid the embarrassment and political fallout of other noble houses learning of this would cause... either that or you believe that the other noble families might be playing a part in this possible abduction."

The elf relaxed slightly from her stoic pose. "Regardless, we will need something that shows us as selected to conduct your business."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

"You know, maybe the kid just... left. Wasn't happy. Didn't know how to tell you. Doesn't have to be anything sinister." Rakinen said quietly, looking down at the table.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2017-08-18 at 10:19 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Salbin nods at what Cecil says, then turns to Vesta as she speaks.

"The Academae staff are rather particular about who is allowed within their walls. Them allowing the Guard in to investigate anything short of regicide is...unlikely, to say the least," Salbin says. "As for the second matter - not to worry," he turns to the servant, who nods and holds out a small wooden box which Salbin takes. "There's a letter for the entire group, and one for each of you," he explains.

As Rakinen speaks, Salbin's face and tone harden somewhat. "Then I imagine you'll easily find evidence of his decision," he says.

"Even if that's the case, you should tell him to...to come back, or even just tell us something," Caelia says. "It's not like him to just leave without saying anything. He knows what it would do."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

"Caelia, you're exactly right. He'll know. I promise you, we'll find him. We'll make sure he's safe. If he's gone, it's because he loves you all very much, and he's doing what he thinks best for you -- and he probably is, even if it doesn't seem that way right now.

And if I'm wrong and he hasn't gone on his own, we'll make sure he's safe, somehow. So either way, it'll be fine. It'll be okay."

28. - Top - End - #58

Solys lowers her voice to speak to Cecil, making it that much quieter.. "I'm not immune to balls of fire or my flesh being turned to stone, Cecil. And I don't want to have to kill for Salvin. And it's not some far-off thing - these people summon Demons, Cecil. Demons. In the sky, all the time, killing other things for fun, and you always hear rumors about the Acadamae. They aren't good people, or honorable people, and we don't know if Salvin is either. To him, we're just a disparate bunch of strangers, and if he wanted people to look into it, why wouldn't he hire mercenaries, or the Cerulean Society? People with proven records, with codes of conduct and unions and paperwork? I'm an alchemist, you're a minstrel, and the only one of us who does this for a living is Tsolg. If Salvin wanted to threaten the Acadamae without strings attached, this is how he'd do it."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Tsōlg remains quiet through much of this conversation, pondering. Eventually, he speaks. "It's about covering all bases. I'm well-versed in arcane magic and the various ways it can be applied to battle, Cecil, despite the annoying antics so far, I would rank can ask people serious questions on occasion and get a decent answer out of them." he smirks "For some reason, I struggle to get people to like me enough to answer questions" he says, sarcasm dripping. "Having a member of the guard with us ensures that we'll stay mostly within the bounds of the law, Solys is enormous and I suspect possessing of knowledge as well. Rakinen, I have no idea, sorry. I'm sure I'll find out what your skills are in time." he says, and for the first time, a more genuine flicker of amusement that wasn't from cruelty crosses his features. "Another group would undoubtedly be far too specialized. This configuration allows us a variety of tactics. It's actually rather intelligent."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Caelia nods, her mood seeming to be lifted somewhat by Rakinen's words, though she doesn't say anything. Her father places the wooden box of scrolls on the table, opening it to take out two and giving them back to the servant. "Thank you for the compliment, Tsōlg," he says with a small nod. "Feel free to open them, the seals aren't necessary."

Spoiler: Scrolls
    Show
    Each scroll is similar, bearing the Overni seal and written in the same hand as the letters.

The bearer of this scroll is empowered by me to act as representative visitor to Jerrick Overni, an enrolled student of the Academae. As per §3...

It goes into a lengthy description of "interlocking clauses" and "allowable exceptions" for almost the entirety of the page, and ends with Salbin's flowing signature as well as a softly glowing mark identical to the family seal.

Spoiler: Vesta, Tsōlg, Cecil
    Show
    You have heard of the Academae's dangers, however you realize when thinking about it that you haven't ever heard of any poor fate befalling an official visitor.