New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

Tsōlg looks around the Academae with a somewhat lustful eye, his hand itching towards his scimitar, and a black tongue emerges to dab at his dry lips. "Unfortunately, no. Jerrick only ever told me he was in the Hall of Conjuration. Never said which room, and for some reason, didn't feel like inviting me to meet all his academic colleagues" he replies, looking at Rakinen and grinning. "Still, should be easier to start in hall, if you ask me. Grab one of the pissant students and ask them if they know were 'J-dog' is" he adds, with a soft laugh. As to the next question, he blinks, and then gives an accurate description of Jerrick as he can, although the account is somewhat twisted from racism and seeing most 'pinkskins' alike.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Solys nods at the group's consensus and starts walking towards the admin building. So far so good.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesta followed in silently. She was more interested in the security of the place than where they were headed. This wasn't the slums where someone could just be pulled kicking and screaming through the street and everyone would mind their business, or so she assumed.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen looked at Tsolg, then at Solys walking away toward administration. "Looks like you've been outvoted" he shouted over his shoulder as he sprinted, as fast as he thought decorum would allow, to catch up to Solys.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

CECIL

Although he hadn't voted, Cecil agreed with the sort of unspoken consensus. So far, they were presenting themselves as official visitors, with documents and official business. And so it behooved them to stay aboveboard for as long as possible. He had no doubt that they would get to the 'grabbing pissant student' phase of things. And he had no moral qualms about doing so.

But it's best to start at the top and slide your way into the gutter. You start in the gutter and you had nowhere to go when things went wrong.

Cecil had a lot of experience with gutters. And with things going wrong.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

The group catches the eyes of a few students as they approach the hall, and a few more look their way when the group gets louder and faster, though the attention is generally short-lived. The path around the large building cuts through one of the massive circles around it, then follows the curve of another. The side of the hall isn't much less grand than the front, with massive stone rising from the earth with no signs of having been worked but an almost impossibly smooth surface. Only the windows make it clear that this isn't merely some impossibly rare natural phenomenon, though this side of the hall doesn't seem to be host to any halls or similar, based on the lack of larger windows. Instead, the ground level wall is somewhat hidden behind a line of almost tombstone-like stones jutting up from the earth, these carved into rectangular shapes that bear elaborate scenes on the side facing away from the hall.

The scenes are all a touch difficult to decipher, due to how busy they are and the lack of color, but the first seems to depict a series of half-built structures with a stern-looking figure looking on from a hill, all enclosed in massive walls. The second shows seven figures in a line, extending their hands upwards to a much larger figure, which holds one hand palm-up, upon with a thick tome rests. The third shows a small humanoid figure surrounded by lightning and fire, surrounded by three massive, monstrous entities. The fourth shows a rune-like shape below an actual rune, below which the symbol of Asmodeus lies, surrounded by kneeling devils.

Coming around the corner of the largest hall, a series of buildings come into view. All are clearly far smaller than the one you've just passed by, but they all have a unique form, with only one being at least relatively mundane. The closest is comprised of two fused structures, one squat and square, the other blocky in shape but rising much higher - and with the upper levels dominated by a massive glass sphere. It looks as if the upper areas were built around it, to hold it up, rather than the glass having been added later. Within the sphere, white fog swirls, and vaguely personlike shapes occasionally coalesce. Lower down, a set of stairs leads up to a pair of ten foot tall Harrow cards, one of which suddenly shudders and shifts to a completely different appearance as a robed student approaches and opens it.

The second closest is vine-covered and relatively mundane, with lower levels of flat stone and upper ones made from brick. The windows are smaller, and often circular, with no signs of a great hall or similar along the outside. Additionally, this one has a very different group of people near it. Seven black-clad tieflings, wearing something halfway between a cloak and armor, are moving away from the building as it comes into view, and you can see groups of students shift to avoid getting to close to them. The entrance, a set of ornate wooden doors flanked by identical statues, remains guarded by another one, who seems to be speaking to yet another tiefling, though this one is clad in a student's robes.

Further away, to the left of the second building, is a giant cube of metal. It's building-sized, and as you grow a bit closer you see that one side is actually various metal plates connected by different means, and there are doors. But the rest of it is still a giant metal cube. It's gray. It's excessively unusual. It's not that interesting, once you get over the fact that it's, well, a giant metal cube...

Between the cube and the next building, this one stout and almost as normal looking as the vine-covered one, is a wide open space. Here, a few areas have been cleared, circular spaces that are surrounded by a few dozen students milling about. Currently, two students seem to be walking onto one of the spaces, and a few taunt-like shouts come from the area, as three of the tieflings break away from the group of seven you saw before, briskly heading towards the gathering.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Further buildings are past the cube, but I'll save those for anyone interested instead of making this post even bigger.

At this point you're a bit out of earshot for the conversation at the vine building, giving you the choice of staying out entirely, eavesdropping, getting involved...walking past because you don't stick your nose in other people's business, whatever.

Spoiler: Everyone but Tsōlg
    Show
    You recognize the old-looking, vine-covered building as Ornelos Hall. Formerly the Hall of Conjuration, now the administrative center of the Academae, and well known in Korvosa for various reasons. You've likely heard of it either as "the one building in there that won't try to kill you when you walk in" or in connection to

Spoiler: Hardcheese
    Show
    The carvings are/represent:
    1. The founding of the Academae by Volshyenek Ornelos, the construction of its structures.
    2. The figure represents both Lord Volshyenek Ornelos, and the principle of education and knowledge. The seven figures represent students of the seven schools of magic.
    3. The death of Volshyenek Ornelos, battling three devils, which collapsed what was then the Hall of Conjuration.
    4. The domination of magic (conjuration, specifically) over the powers of Hell, by devil summoning and binding.

Spoiler: Vesta, Tsōlg, Cecil
    Show
    You've heard some rumors about the tiefling guards of the Academae. Mostly bad, rarely accurate (unless, of course, you're willing to believe that they are secretly magically-controlled puppets under the thrall of an amalgam of all dead students of the Academae, or drink a gallon of blood a day to survive, or...) but all involving the general theme of them being unpleasant, prone to violence, and generally wrong.

Given that these rumors generally come from students in their brief time outside the Academae, you've gathered that the two groups don't get along that well.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen had twin goals in mind: get to the administration building to get information about Jerrick's room and his normal whereabouts, and prevent Solys from breaking another building (or anyone inside it) should that become a problem -- that would be very bad. Those goals required getting to the building first, or as close to first as his speed would allow. He paid little heed of the surroundings as he rushed forward toward the vine-covered building, taking care only not to bowl over any pedestrians that might be in the way, but otherwise instinctively cutting a remarkably efficient path along the inner arc of the sidewalk.

The scenes were interesting enough as art, but there wasn't time for art at the moment. The architecture was unusual and eye-catching, for someone who was willing for their eye to be caught -- but this wasn't a guided tour. He was used enough to people looking at him briefly; that could mean any of a hundred things, and none of those mattered right now either.

8. - Top - End - #98

Solys also continued to walk towards the administrative building, because nothing has changed in her perception of events and that's still her goal. Hardcheese is also there, but she doesn't even have to use her mind to control her limbs to transport herself to the administrative building, so there's even less for her to have an inner monologue about.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

The elf diverted from the direct path of travel toward the building instead closer to where the tie flings had speared and headed for the gathering. She was interested in this dynamic of the security, since if the magical protections around this place were as strong as rumored, someone inside would have assisted in a kid napping, if that turned out to be the case.

10. - Top - End - #100

CECIL[/B]

Cecil walked casually, trying to keep an eye on everything at once while looking he couldn't care less what happened.

He noted the sounds of some kind of conflict and the teiflings moving toward it. He wasn't sure what to do about it. Getting mixed up in things that had nothing to do with him was both a thing he almost always did, and a thing that wasn't the best idea at the moment.

"Compatriots?" he said, loud enough to hear but not loud enough to be a Proclamation or anything, "There seems to be some trouble brewing. Anyone curious enough to go see what's happening?"

11. - Top - End - #101

"I'll go into the administration, so they know what we're here for." Solys softly says to Cecil. That way, if they get reprimanded for interfering with a private student matter, they'll already have their excuse sorted out with the people in charge. But she doesn't say this, for obvious reasons.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Student Crowd
    Show
    You approach the gathering, coming into earshot just as the tieflings stop at the edge of the circle in which two students stand, the students otherwise crowding around giving them a wide berth.

"...and is therefore unsactioned! For any dullards or apprentices here, that means stop, and disperse!" The tiefling in front finishes, tone caustic, the tieflings at his side nodding as they pull clubs studded with dark metal from their robe-armor, giving looks at the closest students, who seem generally eager to give them a bit more space. Except for one, that is - a young woman who passes through the group to reach the new front, other students hastily stepping out of the way. Following her are perhaps half a dozen others, all standing out from the more plain-looking and plainly-dressed students around them. The woman wears a dress-like piece of clothing that clings to her tightly, held up by seemingly nothing, with her shoulders completely bare. She approaches the tieflings with clear confidence, looking at them with a smile that could be called haughty.

"Now now, Versix," she says, shaking her head. "No need to get...worked up, here," she continues, pausing briefly as a chuckle comes from two or three of her followers. "These two have perfectly valid grievances, best laid to rest here...we wouldn't want all that pent-up anger to interfere with their studies, now would we?" She asks. The students in question, a man and a woman dressed in more practical clothes, seem content to let the scene before them play out.

The tiefling referred to as Versix growls but doesn't say anything yet, though one of the others seems just about ready to raise the club he's holding at the ready...

Rakinen, rushing off the entrance to the administration building, hurtles towards the gathering across the open grass, covering the distance swiftly and gathering some attention from the crowd of students.

Spoiler: Admin Building
    Show
    As you approach the building, the student tiefling seems to finish her conversation with the tiefling guard. You catch her saying "...so please do inform me, if you hear anything. I'd rather not lose a month's worth of work because of an administrative oversight," in an annoyed tone, receiving only a tired-looking not in response, before she turns, passing you by, slowing to give your group a bit of a stare before shifting to go past you and be on her way.

The guard tiefling turns to you all, giving a somewhat surprised look to the group that focused on Solys, before dryly asking for proof of allowance onto the campus, which is quickly provided by showing the papers you were given. With a nod, he steps aside, and just as one of you opens the door Rakinen bolts off suddenly, apparently having seen something by the gathering of students that provoked him into sudden action. The rest of you can step inside, finding...a surprisingly mundane building of stone, with a fine rug on the floor, softly glowing, floating spheres of glass providing light, and a strip of metal along the door inscribed with magical runes. Further down the hall is a counter/desk at which a middle-aged man sits, seemingly just finishing the giving of some instructions to a pair of young half-elves who nod sullenly and begin carrying off large stacks of books.

The counter doesn't match the look of the hallway, which continues further forwards until it meets a spiral staircase and has several doors behind the counter, and was clearly added after the building was made. The man standing at the counter raises an eyebrow at you but doesn't seem overly unnerved. "Purpose of visit?" He asks, snapping his fingers as a quartet of quills float up to his shoulder height, hovering above papers lying on the counter.

13. - Top - End - #103

This seems to be a bit more like Solys' kind of building. It's utterly sterile, but at least it's not pretending to be wild like the campus grounds. If anything, it reminds her of the time she spent training with the guard and the sullen-faced initiates there. She'd sometimes felt a little bad that she got to skip their initial training, at least, until Hardcheese reminded her that she was only there was a punishment for murders she didn't commit.

"Fun." Solys says, half-managing a smile. "No, not that, don't write that. It was a joke. We're, um, investigating, for Salvin. Overni. Salvin Overni. That's, er, us. I like your Mage Hand - how did you modify it? Do you need to conentrate, or does it have basic intelligence, like Unseen Servant? That's not what I'm here. I just, like...it. Spells. I don't do them, but, er, you do. And that's nice. Good job, wizardry. Your mother would be proud...if she's alive. I hope she is. I mean, I don't know her, but it's generally a good thing if relatives are still living, isn't it? Yes. Most of the time. Not if they were abusive, but I don't want to accuse... Er. My name is Solys. How are you?"
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2017-09-01 at 01:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

The moment Solys begins to speak, the quills begin to work, and the man sighs. "They record everything spoken," he says, before trailing off as Solys continues. And continues. "...Could you tell me the actual purpose of your visit, then, Solys? Or have you and your hobgoblin companion come simply waste my time?" He asks, frowning. "And in case it wasn't clear: I do consider questions about family, musings on magic, and similar to be precisely that."

15. - Top - End - #105

"We're here on an investigation for Salvin Overni." Solys says. "Our letters have his seal and everything." She points out the seal and everything.
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2017-09-01 at 01:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

At the first sight of the squabble, Rakinen left Solys standing at the front door, sprinting back to the group near the student crowd. He wasn't quite sure what was going on at first, but the young woman's words cleared things up nicely. Are they -- oh, awesome! Some kind of fighting circle. Magical maybe? Why didn't I think of that? His wide grin at the idea was evident, though it was tempered by the situation having been escalated to the point it had. He was almost unnaturally unconcerned with what his companions were up to. Hopefully, they'd have his back.

"I'm not sure what you guys think you're doing with those clubs," he said calmly to what appeared to be the leader, sizing him up as he readied his shield and did what he could to interpose himself peaceably between the two groups without breaking the plane of the circle, "but they don't have any. No sense in you introducing violence into a nice healthy scrap, sanctioned or otherwise. If they really want to beat the hell out of each other, what business is it of yours?"

He turned his head, just enough to project his voice to the woman -- but keeping his eyes firmly on the weapons. "They actually doing anything they're not allowed to be doing, miss?"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Administration Building
    Show
    "Investigation?" The man raises an eyebrow, squinting at the paper for a moment before smiling. "Ah, I remember this one. I wrote on this only a month ago, actually. Was moved to administration after it was read, but no one was interested in going into the Academae's rulesets to actually change things," he says. "But - that's not relevant here. What is it you're investigating? If you need anything more than a visitor's pass, things may be a bit complicated," he continues, turning to the side to look through an open door, into which the younger half-elves had gone before. "Visitor's passes!" He says, and chuckles.

"It may be a few moments, those haven't been used in...probably six years."

Show
    "Beat - who?" Versix seems confused, more than anything else, by Rakinen's sudden arrival. Behind him, the woman laughs softly, quickly joined by a few voices behind her, varying between good-natured and mocking. "Do you know where you are? Show me your allowance of entry!" He growls, the skin around his eyes growing a touch darker.

"Of course not. I know these two myself, neither are troublemakers who would stoop to such behavior," the woman says with confidence to Rakinen, stepping slightly to the side to have a better view of everyone involved, raising an eyebrow and smiling as she sees Vesta and Cecil. "I see you've brought friends of your own."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Tsölg follows the group into the building, quiet for the moment with his own plan scuppered by the group. He garners a few glances and stares which the hobgoblin simply ignores, his eyes focused on Solys before him.

In reply to the administrators comment, he gives the bureaucrat a goblin smile, lips pulling back to show far more teeth than that head has any right in having.

"We are here on Lord Overni's request. Looking into a small matter for his family. I am sure it would bore you. We also require the room number of Jerrick Overni. Can you oblige us?"

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen gave a quick smile to the woman before turning back to the tiefling leader, his voice still calm and growing in confidence. "I appear to be among a group of students and peacocks on the grounds of the Academae. Am I mistaken? We have all the proper documentation, the young man at the front gate seemed quite impressed. I'll be happy to show it to anyone that actually has the authority to ask for it, and if you'd like to run along and get a grownup who has that authority, I'll wait right here. Now, put away the weapons -- you don't want to be responsible for attempting to assault an official visitor in front of about fifty witnesses, and I don't want to get your blood all over these brand new clothes."

20. - Top - End - #110

"Everything you need to know is in the documents." Solys tells the old wizard, following Tsolg's statement. She doesn't know that for a fact, but she certainly hopes it's true.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    The man turns to Tsōlg as he speaks, and nods. "A concrete request! That, I can provide," he pauses as Solys speaks, then continues. "Though...Jerrick Overni. That name is familiar. Oh, yes, now I remember. If I remember correctly, he's under investigation..." the man shrugs, and one of the half elves emerges from the other room, dust on their hair and shoulders, handing a stack of papers onto the counter before scurrying off then the man orders him to find the room number.

It's only half a minute later that the half-elf is back, and you have the number. "Hall of Conjuration, floor three, room 16. I hope you can remember it," the man says, as the papers on the counter are attended to by floating quills. "That's all, then. Unless you have more vague requests or meandering comments?" He adds, passing the completely filled-out pair of papers across the counter. Each is written in an ornate but legible hand, and declare the holder to be an officially recognized temporary guest for the day's date.

Show
    "Actually has the authority - who do think I am?!" Versix replies. "We have enough trouble keeping things orderly here without cretins like you running in from outside! Now show me your papers or you will be forced to return back to the streets."

22. - Top - End - #112

"Well." Solys takes the filled-out papers and tucks them into her robes. "You could learn some manners. Before you die would be good. Bye now." She says, then turns on her heel to inform the rest of the group of their progress.
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2017-09-02 at 02:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesta watched her ally go about insulting guards and interrupting an interaction she had hoped to witness, to see if the guards bent to the influential students. She sighed and crossed her arms. "Their scrap is more likely an unauthorized summoning duel. You really think these people punch each other?"

She turned toward the head guard and dipped her head slightly, unfolding her paper. "Perhaps since we have an audience... who here is a friend of Jerrick Overni?" She watched the students' reactions for any hints of nerves or recognition.
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2017-09-02 at 05:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wait... they're... you're guards?" Rakinen pleaded, looking into the crowd for confirmation before scanning the ground for a decent-sized rock to hide under. "I thought... they were just having a ... and you with the weapons out all of a sudden, and them, they were scared, I thought ... it looked like..."

Completely deflated, he muttered to nobody and everybody "I'm sorry, everyone, I'm so sorry about this. I would never... I wasn't...Vesta, it's not like that, I..."

25. - Top - End - #115

CECIL

Cecil stepped out in front of Rakinen, sort of (but not quite) between him and the guards. And, not coincidentally, right out in front of the hot chick in the clingy dress. And he made sure to turn his head slightly to the right so the sun caught his good side.

"Peace, my friends, peace," he said, his voice pitched low and smooth, soft and soothing, like one might whisper to a crying baby, but projected so that it carried to the entire crowd. At the same time he flashed his best smile. "We are all reasonable people. Let us speak and let reason prevail."

A pause.

"Clearly we are not trying to interfere with the official and legal discharge of your duties, messir tieflings. That was an error on our part, one we truly regret."

Cecil flashed his 'regret' face. He was rally good at it. He practiced it in the mirror every day.

"We merely saw what appeared to be a grave injustice that required redress. And can we be blamed? Surely redressing injustice is the highest of callings? And clearly one ought not to be taken to task for being too fervent in one's avocation?"

He met the gaze of the woman in the clingy dress right at this point. Whatever else she was, she struck Cecil as a crusader, so he wanted to make sure he made the connection between them here.

"And as for us. We are official visitors. Vetted personally by the Sentries O'the Watch 'pon the very gates of this fine institution. We have our papers. They are in order, of course, but surely they aren't needed, for surely the Acadamae would not man the gates with wastrels and ne'er-do-wells?"

And here a slight (ever so slight) roll of the eyes and eye contact with the one named Versix. If the teiflings and the students got on like this, and students guarded the gates, then this demonic little hothead almost certainly thought exactly that about the door guards. If not worse.

"But we are strangers here. And not versed in your ancient and traditional ways. Please, would someone take pity on an outsider and explain the situation? Simply. As one might a child. For we're none of us on your level, intellectually or tactically."

And a flash of eye contact for both clingy-dress and demon hot-head. Keep everyone involved.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    The man frowns as Solys speaks, but before any reply comes, the trio is gone again, passing out of the doors into the sunlight of the Academae's campus. The sight of the others, standing near/inside a crowd of students and three of the tieflings from before, is hard to miss.

Vesta's question is the first thing to draw the general attention of the crowd to her, but she sees little in the way of useful reactions, apart from a look from the white-dressed woman in the front, whose gaze is curious in a way that suggests more than unknowing questions. Before anything can come of it, however, Rakinen's semi-breakdown snatches away any hopes of speaking to her or anyone else, as it quickly takes the metaphorical spotlight. His first words result in a pause, then a wave of laughter, varying between harsh and warm, from the students. One of the tieflings snorts, but quickly returns to an angry-looking glower at an annoyed glance from Versix, who seems ready to say something himself when Cecil steps in.

"No," the tiefling grunts, as Cecil finishes his bit on injustice. A moment after "wastrels and ne'er-do-wells" leaves his lips, the tiefling sighs loudly. "No! Shut up! Show me your papers, you idiot!" He says, voice rising. "Just because a pair of book-sniffing buffoons let you in, doesn't make you an official anything!"

The white-dressed woman, having recovered from her own brief laughter, both at Rakinen and then at Versix's response to Cecil, nods, smiling widely. "I must...pff. The best course of action is to just show him your papers. Unless you're intending on giving us all more of a show?" She asks, looking between Rakinen and Cecil. "And then we can talk. Once the rest have gone, of course," she adds, with a glance that clearly indicates both her own small grouping of followers and the students as a whole - the latter group having shrunk already, with students beginning to break off in small groups in various directions.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen nodded silently at the woman, a confused and utterly defeated look on his face. He swiftly loosed the strap on his shield, letting it clatter to the ground, and removed the pack from his back and unclasped it. Reaching inside, he pulled out the required scroll and extended his hand out, the paper crumpling heavily in his grip.

28. - Top - End - #118

Cecil eyed the big man with a side-long look. He wasn't sure exactly why he was reacting so strongly. Sometimes you try a thing. Sometimes it works. Sometimes you look like ass. Dropping shields and crumpling entrance papers wasn't going to solve anything.

Dramatic flair, however, solved almost everything.

With the air of a magician producing a very fine trick (which, in a way, he was), Cecil reached into his tunic and with a flip and a fluourish, the letter from the Overni's was in his hand and displayed prominently for all to see.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Tsōlg's face is unusually stormy as he emerges from the administration building and sees the ruckus going on. Striding out ahead of Solys, he steps up beside Rakinen. "Are we here to do a job, or to aimlessly help every toerag invalid we come across?" he says to his 'comrade', though he at least has the tact to put his voice down quietly.

"Visitor passes as well. Unless you'd like to go deal with the Academae itself, I think we're done here?" the Hobgoblin drawls, more loudly at the tiefling, holding up a pair of the passes they've been given. "That only applies to us though. Feel free to kick a student if it helps your deep-seated anger issues, I don't care."

30. - Top - End - #120

Solys strides up just after Tsolg, which proves surprisingly easy given legs roughly twice as long, and breathes in after his comments. "Um,
    in this case, 'we' is political. I'd rather nobody get kicked."
    She shifts her armored forelegs, very aware of the potential threat implied by them and doing everything she can to avoid it.