The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1238
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Kiros Alone

    Sitting down on the edge of his narrow bed, the investigator gives his quarters a thorough examining. The curved wooden walls rock slowly, what passes for a dresser in the corner would barely be enough to fit more than a few pairs of clothes, and the floorboards are slick with seawater. It isn't much, but then again he was hardly expecting much better. He's certainly holed up in worse spots throughout his life, and will undoubtedly crawl into several more. Once he is reasonably certain that there are no immediate dangers, Kiros allows his mind to wander back over the past two hours, replaying events in his mind. He thinks back to the meeting with Salbin and the others, going over every word that was said in his presence.

    Satisfied at the resultant conclusions, Kiros finally turns his capacities to the letter and its contents. Before the group made their way down to the docks, he was sure to read the letter twice in order to memorize its contents. Although he puts little stock in graphology as a medium of investigation, he has since pulled out his notebook to try and copy the style in case he might need to forge a signature later. When that is done, Kiros finally sets all else aside and prepares for what comes next. Taking off his coat and folding it on a chair, he grunts softly as he pulls his legs up into a cross-legged position, edging backwards until he can lean on the wall behind him for support. Letting out a few deep breaths, the investigator closes his eyes.

    Master of Masters, show me the way to the truth, that I may be Enlightened.


    Later, Abovedecks

    Four hours later, as the ship casts and by unspoken agreement the rest of the group appears to have gathered to observe its departure from the Korvosan harbor, Kiros stands quietly and watches the passing outline of a city that has been his home in exile. There is not much to be said about Korvosa, though it has not brought him much joy, neither has its memories brought him any pain. The same cannot be said for the team's current destination. Still ruminating on what he has recovered from the recesses of his mind - memory is such a tricky thing, especially at his age, but he'd like to think that he has mastered it as well as could be hoped - he barely hears the newcomer until after Payle has already replied.

    "While I do not drink alcohol anymore, I am rather fond of tea. I have brought my own blend with me; I find it helps me reflect." Rummaging around in his coat pocket for a moment, the Kelesite produces a small cheesecloth bag that has a strong but not entirely unpleasant aroma. "I'm not sure exactly what amenities you have on board, but would it be possible to find some hot water and a teacup?"

    Throughout the exchange, Kiros does he give any sign or interest of this 'Nessy' character. Instead, he locks eyes with the rest of the investigative team the moment that he is done speaking with the dwarf. "If it isn't too much trouble, I would like to discuss some of my initial insights with all of you, so that we can deliberate on how best to proceed once we dock in Magnimar."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2019-08-30 at 02:24 PM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Ironfang Invasion (DM)
    - Darkest Dusk (Whisper)



    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  2. - Top - End - #1202
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    "Anythin' we got!" The dwarf says with a chuckle. "With burn, or cool. I've got some exotics, and simple home-stuff too," he nods, then pauses. "Oh, er, that's meaning - there's alcoholic drinks, and normal ones, from the region and from abroad. An' I'm Treff!" The dwarf gives an exaggerated bow. "Nessy is our trusted navigator! And hot water is somethin' I can do," he nods.

    Spoiler: Kiros Knowledge
    Show
    Nobility

    The Nirodein house are an offshoot of the better-known Nirodin. The family is fairly young, with only three generations as a cohesive unit, and has an unusual nature; rather than being strictly defined by bloodlines and marriages, they have a tendency to adopt up-and-coming Magnimarans. This has led to the house having fairly low standing with many other nobles, but has also led to them holding a disproportionate amount of power relative to many others; they lack the deep connections and varied contacts of other noble houses, as well as the ties to Magnimar's governing institutions many others enjoy, but their members are by and large ambitious, driven and extraordinary in one way or another.

    Beyond this, there is a noticeable tendency among the Nirodein to "abdicate" at a fairly early age; few of the family's active members are over fifty, though the older members have a tendency to tend to more traditional noble affairs rather than disappear entirely. As a result, the Nirodein are developing a web of social links within Magnimar, even if the majority of these efforts go towards furthering individual positions first, and the family second.

    Nadia Nirodein specifically is a new arrival to the house, having been adopted by the recently-deceased Alderen Nirodein only a few years before his death (which was late last year). A half-elf, she has gained a reputation with her relentless work ethic and clear lack of interest in any of the typical pleasures of the rich or noble.

    Local, History

    Magnimar's politics have been shaken up in recent years, mostly by the deaths caused by a vicious cult and the implication of prominent citizens as being complicit or even aiding in their activities. While some time has passed since then, the general atmosphere has been quite sensitive to the deaths of those who might be connected to politics; fears seem to be present of both a new wave of violence as well as some of an over-reaction to a smaller set of disconnected deaths that results in a crisis.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  3. - Top - End - #1203
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    As they left and before entering the ship, Ilvaria took her time on important matters. First, she asked one of the Overni servants to pass a message to Nori that once she's back from Madrimar they should meet for a drink. Then she sat down to write a letter to Serin, her lady of heart. In which she explained her reasons for immediately leaving the city, assured how much the separation shall be breaking her heart and promised to send letters praising her beloved's radiant beauty and longing to be reunited with her soon, and that she will entertain her with a song of heroic deeds upon return. Finally, she took the time to find Jack and Aja and say her farewells. There was a lot of crying and hugging, all of it on her side.

    Upon entering her cabin, Ilvaria sat heavily on the bed and sighted with massive sadness. She was ready for any adventure or heroic endeavor, she did not know fear. but at the same time, she couldn't help but feel overwhelmed by melancholy upon leaving behind her friends and her newly found love. To her surprise she has realized she really hates loneliness. Deciding she cannot let such simple thing wear her down, she dressed in her everyday clothes and went to meet with others.

    Upon meeting the dwarf Ilvaria smiles, thinking this is exactly what she needed. "Then what drink would you recommend, my dear friend? I feel like putting my head to a test." She says. Omitting the fact it is to put her mind away from everyone she has left behind and how lonely she suddenly feels. She looks at the others "Any of you wishing to join on drinking?" She asks. Then Kiros speaks. "Yeah, of course." She says with a resigned tone. "Give me a moment, I'll be right back for the party." She asks before joining the others for their first team council.
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2019-08-31 at 01:20 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #1204
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    redfeline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Lorelei made her way to the ship with the others, once there she picked a cabin to sleep in. She did not however put her things into the cabin, instead she kept her pack on her and went up to the main deck. With several hours to go she went into a nearby tavern and got some worm food a sort of thick stew with surprisingly large chunks of meat. That was the good thing, the bad thing was by the end of the meal she still wasn't sure if the meat had been mutton or pork, she knew beef was unlikely at the price and had ruled it out. She returned to the ship post meal and fed, but still very uncertain.


    As the ship began to move the rest of the team made there way to watch the departure from port. Lorelei's mind was still occupied. 'Could it of been a firm fish? Sword fish maybe or poorly treated tuna? How could they cook something so blandly that I still can't tell?'

    "Any of you wishing to join on drinking?" Lorelei clears her throat and her mind. "No thank you." 'I am already worried about my gut, who knows what will happen if I mix in alcohol.'

    "Kiros, I would be very curious to hear about your insights."
    Last edited by redfeline; 2019-09-04 at 10:07 AM.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

  5. - Top - End - #1205
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Cia stood on the quay before departure, staring up at the ship with dismay in her eyes. Oh. Oh good. Small. Just what I wanted, so I can feel every last rock and sway. At her side, the smilodon growled, and she looked down at the feline, laying a hand on his head and rubbing him behind the ears. "I'll live. Somehow," she says, before returning her gaze to the vessel. It takes her about ten minutes of psyching herself up before she steps from the dock and onto the vessel, whereupon she immediately descends into a cabin she picks more or less at random from those available, sequestering herself inside. Within, she picks a stable corner, shoves her back into it, and closes her eyes, dragging her feline companion underneath her legs for better stability. Maybe if I make myself stable I won't feel it as badly.

    Later, after the ship was underway, Cia was found abovedecks, leaning over the railing. Fish happily jumping in the wake of the ship from her expulsion of everything she'd eaten in the last two weeks - or at least, that's what it felt like. Wan and trembling, she stumbled her way to the council of her compatriots. At least there wasn't anything left in her belly to release. Her feline companion seemed much better - at least he wasn't emptying his belly. She seizes on the dwarf's offer of alcohol. "Whatever you have that will knock me out for the duration of the journey, please," she says, her voice shaky and bereft of any mirth or merriment that her companions might have found in her earlier. Her ornate robes cling to her flesh from the sweating her profuse expulsion had caused, and her hair is matted against her face. Then she turns her attention to her companions, seating herself on the deck and leaning back against the feline, who had moved behind her to provide something solid for her to lean against.

    "I'm listening. No promises as to how much I'll remember later, though, after I've thrown up the soles of my boots."
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

  6. - Top - End - #1206
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    redfeline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Lorelei sees the sea sick druid and more than a little wells up, much like how Cia let go of her lunch. Lorelei reaches into her pack and finds her healer's kit she fingers threw it for a moment and grabs some peppermint and some ginger. "I see your not to fond of boats, fortunately for you I am here. The trick here is peppermint and ginger, together they can stop any sea sickness." She shows her the pair of ingredients in her hand. Each of these has been known to reduce nausea but there is no particular reason for them to work better together, but often times such sicknesses could be cured by the mind as well as the body. [Heal 25, bluff 35 to convince her this is the best trick ever.]

    "Please help yourself here."
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

  7. - Top - End - #1207
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Cia takes a few moments to stare at the things being offered, then shakes her head slightly. "Ugh. I'll try it," she says, reaching out and plucking the peppermint and ginger from her new compatriot's hand, shoving them in her mouth and grimacing as she bites down. It's something of a production; her mouth works to chew them into a paste, slow and determined, eyes squeezing shut as she focuses mostly on not tasting and ignoring the rather rank sensation of her salivary glands producing saliva to help masticate. Then her head tilts all the way back to give it gravity assist to slide down her throat, at which point she shudders all over at the now-awful sensation of something going down her throat rather than coming up as it had been all morning.

    Only time will tell if it works. Or if she'll just expunge that from her belly the way everything else had been. She leans heavily on the feline, the ordeal having taken a lot out of her - or at least, it felt like it had to her, which is pretty much the same thing. She was very much a dramatic individual when sick. She waves a hand, eyes still closed as she leans against her cat. "Don't mind me - urrp - I'm listening."
    Last edited by RelentlessImp; 2019-09-05 at 04:58 PM.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

  8. - Top - End - #1208
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Kiros gives no signs of impatience as the rest of the team puts in their drink orders and waits, visibly pleased as he is at the accommodating nature of the dwarf. Nevertheless, the investigator follows through and finds a section of deck that looks fairly quiet before gently clearing his throat. "I have spent some... time ruminating on the contents of the letter," he begins as he scratches his goatee absentmindedly. "My methods are irrelevant, but rest assured that the information that I am about to present is reliable. I shall begin with the general and work my way inwards, as I find the information is easier to parse that way."

    When he is sure that everyone is listening, he begins his recounting in full. "We begin with the character of Magnimar itself. The City of Monuments is not Korvosa; it has lived in the shadow of furtive violence since its foundation, under the pale banner of the Forever Man and the followers of Norgorber. Furthermore, the city's politics have been shaken up of late, mostly due to the deaths caused by a vicious group known as the Skinsaw Cult. Although the cult was disbanded, the course of that investigation resulted in the public implication of prominent citizens as being complicit or even aiding in their activities. While some time has passed since then, the general atmosphere has been quite sensitive to the deaths of those who might be connected to politics; fears seem to be present of both a new wave of violence as well as some of an over-reaction to a smaller set of disconnected deaths that results in a crisis. We should tread carefully in our own inquiries, lest we cause more harm than good by exacerbating the public's worries."

    Pausing in order to sip the tea when it is brought, Kiros awaits questions from the rest on the matter of the city before continuing. The matter of murders is - unfortunately - his specialty, but he does not discuss the matter beyond the scope of the cult. There are some bodies left buried. Instead, he takes the next possible opportunity to turn the matter towards matters that are immediately pertinent to their upcoming efforts. "The Nirodein House are an offshoot of the better-known Nirodin. The family is fairly young, with only three generations as a cohesive unit, and has an unusual nature; rather than being strictly defined by bloodlines and marriages, they have a tendency to adopt up-and-coming Magnimarans. This has led to the house having fairly low standing with many other nobles, but has also led to them holding a disproportionate amount of power relative to many others; they lack the deep connections and varied contacts of other noble houses, as well as the ties to Magnimar's governing institutions many others enjoy, but their members are by and large ambitious, driven and extraordinary in one way or another.

    Beyond this, there is a noticeable tendency among the Nirodein to "abdicate" at a fairly early age; few of the family's active members are over fifty, though the older members have a tendency to tend to more traditional noble affairs rather than disappear entirely. As a result, the Nirodein are developing a web of social links within Magnimar, even if the majority of these efforts go towards furthering individual positions first, and the family second. Nadia Nirodein specifically is a new arrival to the house, having been adopted by the recently-deceased Alderen Nirodein only a few years before his death (which was late last year). A half-elf, she has gained a reputation with her relentless work ethic and clear lack of interest in any of the typical pleasures of the rich or noble."


    Having by now finished both refreshment and briefing, Kiros stops to take a breath. "I apologize for my long-windedness. I'm used to working alone, and so am not accustomed to sharing all of my insights without holding at least a few pertinents fact back for myself. In my experience, cases like this reward discretion as much as diligence, but I would not imagine to give orders, only counsel. Given what we now know, how should we proceed when we make harbor?"
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Ironfang Invasion (DM)
    - Darkest Dusk (Whisper)



    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  9. - Top - End - #1209
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Ilvaria was listening, but also showing visible signs of impatience, which may look as if she was eager to just get hammered, but there was more to it. She liked nobility, on paper. She longed to taste a real courtly life and, most importantly, country love. She wanted to be a Drow who got to taste the glamour as a reward for her deeds. not even for their own sake, just to prove to the world that yes, a Dark Elf like her can earn this level of respect. The inner affairs of nobles, all the family alliances, rivalries, betrayals and self-serving inner workings of them, rising up on the back of the others - these things were much less interesting to her. They reminded her of her homelands, in the worst way.

    "Which of the Nirodein is asking for our help again? And do we have any way to contact them before our arrival? Would be useful if we could collaborate on a cover story for us together." She speaks once Kiros is done.

  10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    redfeline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Lorelei listens quietly and then chimes in. "I am not to proud to pretend to be a day laborer, or anything else appropriate. I suggest we pick something simple and beneath the notice of others, or perhaps some of us do attract attention while the rest of us do not. Although the latter plan would require more discretion in communication and staggering our arrival to our host." She pauses for a moment and then realizes her assumption. "Sorry I did not share this sooner, but I see more reason to reveal ourselves to our host than not, unless you wish for our group to sub divide."

    With all the need for discretion, Lorelei considered what to do about the crew. They could do or say anything once we enter port.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

  11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    The party's discussion continues, and the Irredentia makes its way to Magnimar without incident, eventually coming into the harbor alongside several others. Not too far away, giant pillars emerge from the water, holding up the remnants of a massive bridge hundreds of feet in the air. Each pillar bears detailed carvings, only vague forms visible from the safe distance the ship stays at; the danger of falling debris isn't great, but if some cracked piece of stone decides this is the day to yield to gravity and fall, well - better for the ship to be further, than closer. On the land side of the bridge are the grand buildings of Magnimar's rulers and richest residents, the proximity of noble mansions and halls of government far from accidental, sat atop a grand raised way with steep cliffs on its sides. A wide ramp leads from the upper region down to the rest of the city, the movements of hundreds people, carts and horses easily visible from a great distance as a shifting dark pattern against the white rock.

    Also visible are the bustling docks, and as the ship arrives, its sounds and smells follow suit. The change in the crew and atmosphere is all but total - the quiet calm of the open water turns to a focused effort as the ship is brought into the harbor, then maneuvered to an open pier, finally stopping with only a brief pause before the way down is opened. Officials come up the gangway, and all passengers are quickly shooed off, so as to clear the way for the goods that will soon follow. Even then, the way away from the ship is already growing crowded, dockhands gathering in anticipation of work and coin, followed by those catering either to their needs or those of the new arrivals. Hawkers of ostensible Magnimaran specialties, dozens of "the best guide for the Shore and Shadow!" and some shadier specialists line the way, fill the air with their advertising and occasionally denunciations of their competitors, before eventually falling into the background din of the city once the immediate vicinity of the docks is behind the party.

    The instructions and simple map included in Nadia Nirodein's letter asking for the party's help in resolving the death of 'our beloved Rendrick' prove of great use. First, the party joins many others in ascending the ramp to the literally upper class area of the city, making the ascent alongside many others before turning away, following a road heading northwest and passing by the Bridgeward District. This is where the crowd things, the many messengers, supply runners, and well-guarded carts thinning out until only a handful remain. These accompany the party along the next turn, though most peel off towards the large building that passes on the party's right, to the north - the Serpent's Run, Magnimar's grand arena.

    When the white marble wall rises in front of the party, they're the only ones left on the approach, passing through the gates and past the guards without much trouble. Beyond is an almost maze-like display of wealth; manors rise above perfectly-shaped hedges or exotic trees, the street itself is lined with immaculately cleaned busts and statues. Here, the directs become far more valuable, leading past one manor, passing by another, slipping between two more before ending in front of the Nirodein demesne: modest by the standards of its surroundings, it merely exceeds an average home by a wide margin, in both size and visible decoration, rather than an excessive one. The gates are iron (of note, given the surrounding ones are often silver or glittering with ornaments) and a pair of guards stand at them - with a simple use of the pass phrase given in Nadia's letter, the gate is opened and one escorts the party around the building.

    All but nestled between the Nirodein manor, a neighboring building and another wall of marble, a gazebo sits, a number of both comfortable and heavy-looking chairs beneath its roof. Nearby lies a small pond, oddly-colored fish flitting to and fro within. Standing beside the pond is a half-elven woman with braided dark hair, decorated with a pair of simple golden rings along the length of the braid. The rings are in contrast to the dark blue of her attire, an almost uniform-like outfit with a red trim. As the party arrives, she turns, revealing bright green eyes and a faint scar across her nose.

    "The group from Korvosa, I take it?" She asks, stepping forwards.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  12. - Top - End - #1212
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Payle nods at the woman's question. "My name is Payle. A pleasure to meet you."

  13. - Top - End - #1213
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Young Drow gazes with amazement in her eyes at everything she sees around her, enjoying the new town the way a naive child would enjoy a visit to a zoo. All the majesty of the place, contrasted with all the shouting, leaves an impression on her. It is only once they enter the Nirodein manor. There the whole lavishness of noble lives on top of all of that is enough to knock her out of this amazed trance and even in some cynical mood.
    "This all looks so peaceful I'm expecting to have to fight the gazebo." She whispers to Payle.

    "Ilvaria Barit'tar, the Spear of Sunrise from the Order of Saint Diogenes." She bows slightly to the woman who has greeted them. "Lady Nadia Nirodein, I presume?"

  14. - Top - End - #1214
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    The rest of the trip for Cia is spent alternately drowning herself in alcohol and feeding the fish with the contents of her stomach. A lot of it was probably psychosomatic, but it was something about the rocking of the ship that just made her lose all control over her gut. When the ship finally docked, she was the first one off, collapsing to the ground and hugging herself against it.

    It takes her only a few minutes to compose herself, and quickly wolf down some rations now that her belly wasn't being constantly glugged side to side. Shevar at her side, she follows along, much steadier, if a bit pale and wan from the experience with a few shadows under her eyes.

    The 'detective' sizes up the half-elf as they're greeted, and slides her arms over her chest while Shevar settles comfortably against her side, seating himself on his haunches.

    "Cia, untitled, of no house," she says, putting similar inflections onto her introduction that Ilvaria had. She was well enough to joke and tease, at least.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

  15. - Top - End - #1215
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    The woman takes in the group's introductions, nodding at each. "You are correct," she says to Ilvaria. "Typically, I do introduce myself, however - well, in this case, I already have," she smiles. "Would you care to sit? The gazebo boasts excellent magical warding, so we needn't worry of either magical or mundane prying."

    During the introductions, the guard left, and rest of the garden is currently empty - well, of people, at least. A good few birds twitter, flowers brighten up the garden with an array of typical and exotic colors.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  16. - Top - End - #1216
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    "Gladly," Payle says as she takes a seat in the gazebo and briefly wonders if she could get away with a bit of magical prying of her own. But the chance of a faux pas is a little too high, so instead she turns to their host. "What drives one to purchase an enchanted gazebo, exactky?"

  17. - Top - End - #1217
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    "I mean, it could be good for protection if it could, like, come to life if someone threatens the owner?" Ilvaria suggests, sitting next to Payle. "But we should probably stop focusing so much on the gazebo and more about the reason we're here." She takes serious tone and expression, turning ot their host. "Can you tell us what is known about the tragic death that befell your family?"

  18. - Top - End - #1218
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    "I am not entirely sure," Nadia replies to Payle's question. "It was a purchase of my adopted father, Alderen Nirodein; I have merely made use of it, rather than procuring it myself," she explains. "Six days ago, Rendrick's corpse was found in his laboratory, showing signs of having been tortured, before being decapitated." Nadia's lips press together, and her hands, set over one another on the table, tense for a moment. "There is no evidence whatsoever of an entry from outside, or of an extended struggle - who and whatever did this, was clearly able to rapidly overpower him. Nothing was missing from the laboratory, aside from a number of daggers and Rendrick's notes."
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  19. - Top - End - #1219
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Payle tilts her head ever so slightly at the mention of a decapitation. Not the kind of murder she expected to find when dealing with nobles - that kind of thing is normally reserved for revolutions. "When you say decapitated...was the entirety of him still present?"

  20. - Top - End - #1220
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    "You say "laboratory", do you might know what he was working on?" Ilvaria asks. "Is his lab warded from summoning or teleportation? Could it be reasonable to assume someone from the outside summoned something or teleported next to him?"

    After getting an answer to that, she continues with other questions. "What kind of person was he? Would it be plausible for him to let in a stranger or to try summoning something he might not have full protection from? Or be duped by a disguise, magical or otherwise? Speaking of that last possibility, does his lab or the place it is in have any sort of protection against illusions?" She pauses again.

  21. - Top - End - #1221
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Nadia nods. "His body was all there. We have used magic to preserve it, to aid in an investigation before we put him to rest," she says, folded hands tensing slightly for a moment. "From what I know, the laboratory is protected against both by some manner or another - I am not knowledgeable of the details, unfortunately. It does allow summoning in specific sections of the laboratory, however, in pre-drawn summoning circles," she explains. "Rendrick was...both brilliant and a touch foolish. His mastery of alchemy and several academic disciplines was exceptional, especially for a young man. However, he was always inclined to fits of passion - a blessing, when it allowed him to fully devote himself to some new breakthrough, but a curse when he would decide it was of utmost importance to fulfill some desire of an honored tutor, and toil away for weeks trying to do the impossible," she continues.

    "I believe Rendrick could have been fooled easily by one who knew his heart," Nadia says after a pause. "Of course, getting that information would be the most difficult part of the process - he was never very open with his thoughts unless they were regarding his current obsession, and he was canny enough to recognize an attempt to pry into his mind with magic even while distracted. As for the lab, I do not believe it has defenses against illusion magic...ah," she straightens. "My apologies, there is an important detail I forgot to mention - the laboratory requires a...signing in, of sorts, without which there is a harmless but highly noticeable effect that marks any who cast a spell within it."
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  22. - Top - End - #1222
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Payle leans back, starts to separate the details in her head, and speaks up. "How do you know he could always detect mental probing? It seems an odd trait and an odder one to spread around."

  23. - Top - End - #1223
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    "So far it seems we should look among his friends both in the family and among fellow researchers. Someone whom he could trust, especially regarding his research, to let them into the lab. Do you know anyone he might've been working with closely? And what was the subject of his research?" Ilvaria asks.

  24. - Top - End - #1224
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Cia remains quiet, absorbing the information as it comes her way, one hand atop Shevar's head, leaning her hips back against one of the railings of the gazebo. It almost looks as if she isn't paying attention, staring mostly up at the ceiling of the gazebo, her brow furrowed as she takes it in.

    "Noticeable in what way?" she asks finally, hanging on to one of the details her companions seem to miss. "Can the effect be removed? And how long does it remain?" Still staring at the ceiling, her fingers curling to scritch into Shevar's ears. She knew she should have held out for getting them teleported here. Effects like that probably didn't last long enough for a proper investigation to find them. Bah.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Know. Arcana - (1d20+10)[14]
    Spellcraft - (1d20+10)[20]
    To try and puzzle out the marking from the scant detail already given.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

  25. - Top - End - #1225
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    "I meant that he would be able to spot an attempt to do so, rather than detect the probing itself - identify a spell being cast, even subtly," Nadia clarifies to Payle, before turning to Ilvaria. "I believe he was working entirely alone - there aren't even laboratory assistants, as they have been replaced with magical servants," she says. "As for the subject of his research, I...believe it had something to do with a strengthened form of acid."

    Nadia turns to Cia next. "It is highly visible," she says. "Brightly-colored bits of a paper-like substance, and small pieces of reflective material. It can be removed with anything that would be capable of removing such things - and without that, it will stay as long as mundane bits of paper and reflective material would. A day or two, perhaps longer, depending on the attire of the victim."

    Spoiler: Cia
    Show
    Given what you heard before, and now, in addition to your general knowledge of such things, this sounds like a fairly typical harmless Conjuration effect. It doesn't really leave much of a trail or long-term trace, and is meant primarily to mark anyone engaging in subtle spellcasting with an unmistakable sign of having done so.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  26. - Top - End - #1226
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Cia lets out a slow sigh, looking back up to the ceiling. Well, so much for that. "That... seems a highly ineffective method of identification," Cia murmurs, shaking her head. "A simple prestidigitation cantrip would remove that much. Something laying down an arcane mark on someone's clothing would have been a better choice, and likely even easier to create. Even planting it on their skin somewhere would give a full month of identification, and it wouldn't be noticed until some detection magic was used."
    Last edited by RelentlessImp; 2019-11-19 at 01:48 AM.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

  27. - Top - End - #1227
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    Payle considers what Nadia has said and gives Cia her chance to think about magical minutiae before speaking again. "When you say identifying a spell being cast, do you mean all varieties of magic? Could he identify something that comes naturally to a creature?"

  28. - Top - End - #1228
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    "Its purpose is to alert those present that a spell was cast," Nadia replies. "Is an overt visual display not a functional method for doing so? It isn't meant to be used to track intruders or anything similar."

    At Payle's question, Nadia turns to her. "I believe he was capable of the former, yes. The latter, I am less certain of."
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  29. - Top - End - #1229
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    "What was it so important for him to know whenever an unauthorized spell was being cast in his lab, moreso than of intruders? Would use of magic disturb his research somehow?" Ilvaria asks. "And have any traces of this safe-measure being activated at the time of murder?"

  30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

    "I imagine he was worried of charms or mind-reading by guests who were not overtly hostile. And we did not find any," Nadia replies. "As for measures against intrusion - the only way into the lab is a well-secured door, which is itself located far enough inside the estate that anyone intent on breaking in would already need to overcome the defenses in place at the edge of the manor, and its entrances."
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •