New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

Once more, Solys recounts what she can identify to Tsolg. "Um, maybe we should repeat some of these odd words to other students?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen looked genuinely concerned for the first time. "Eliria... the other students that got smarter all of a sudden. What happened to them? Did they vanish too?"

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesta listened to the woman's theory in silence before speaking. "One thing that doesn't match the others is that he is a conjurer, not an enchanter like the others you said had risen so abruptly."

"I think that the best start would be finding and speaking to this tiefling woman that he was interested in."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Outside
    Show
    Erilia shakes her head. "They all went on to be quite influential, powerful people, actually. Three are still around, though only one is still in Korvosa," she says, then nods at Vesta's comment. "That's why I wouldn't directly link it. But it's the closest I have to an explanation for the sudden change."

"I think that would be a good place to start - from what I heard, she's an illusionist, so you'd be most likely to find her in the Hall of Lies."
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Tsōlg frowns, shaking his head slightly in response to Solys. "Students are too close. They could lead us down a false trail with insulting ease." He ponders for a few moments more, then pulls the draw fully out from the desk, and tips it over to send the glove down to the ground. He moves over to the bed, and swiftly removes a pillowcase, using it to pick up the glove and wrap it in the insulating fabric. "We will do the same with that vial, and consult the others in our group. Hopefully between us, we have the expertise to gain some answers here."

6. - Top - End - #156

A battle rages within Solys, one that, to her, seems like it will stretch on into infinity. But, eventually, it ends, with one side just managing to eke out a win. "Why, um. Why did you just steal a boy's pillowcase?"

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"So that we do not have to touch the objects themselves, and reduce the risk they are cursed or similarly afflicted." Tsōlg says, shortly. "Do you not use similar precautions when looking at a potion spill you can't identify?"

8. - Top - End - #158

"I always know what I'm brewing." Solys answers.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Ah, so you just have no friends who are alchemists." Tsölg chuckles.

10. - Top - End - #160

"Not really, no." Solys admits. "Just my landlady, and my old Captain, and Cecil."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Cecil sketches a semi-elabourate bow. There was some cloak billowing, but not too too much. Cecil was good at restraint.

"We thank you for your assistance. Where might we be able to contact you should we uncover anything worth passing along?"
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

"Erilia, thank you, for everything. I have... a favor to ask. The two boys who were going to quarrel... do you know them well enough to give them a message? I can tell you or write it down, whichever you'd prefer. It would mean a lot to me.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2017-09-11 at 01:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Erilia nods at Cecil's display, smiling slightly again. "I'm in room 21, second floor of the Hall of Charms. If I'm not there, pass a note under the door, I had a friend enchant it for me," she says. At Rakinen's request, she raises an eyebrow, and shrugs. "I don't, but it would be easy to find out. I can pass a message along for you, but it may be a day or so before it gets read, if they're busy."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you. It would mean a lot to me. It won't be a long one."

He pulled out his pack, grabbed the journal and an inkpen, and began to write.

Spoiler: letter
    Show
    Gentlemen,

I don't know your quarrel with each other, but I feel it my duty to help you. If they won't let you settle it here, it would be an honor and privilege for me to assist you in settling things -- in your own ways. I am apparently not hard to find around town.

Through competition comes understanding, and through understanding, friendship. You are doing the right thing. Don't let them stop you.

-Rakinen Davarii

He tore the page carefully from the book, folded it, and handed it to Erilia. "Read it or not, your choice. And thank you for putting up with me. "

Turning to Cecil and Vesta, he mumbled "Much as I'd like to teach them a lesson, we probably ought to find Solys and Tsolg, if only to let them know where we're going? I tried to get her to stop, so we could do this together, but she wouldn't listen. It wouldn't be much of a lesson if we did the same thing to them."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Ex Room
    Show
    With nothing left for them to do in the room, Tsōlg and Solys exit as they came, finding the soft red glow around the edges of the door returning as the it is fully closed. After a few more isolated instances of visitor pass waving, the two are once again outside. It seems their timing is good, as the white-dressed woman is just leaving the others...

Show
    Erilia takes the letter with a nod. "It's not an issue," she says. "Good luck, then. And do be careful in the Hall of Lies," she adds, before giving a last nod and turning to go. She's not far when Tsōlg and Solys become visible, approaching from the Hall of Conjuration.

16. - Top - End - #166

"We're back." Solys informs the group, as she and Tsolg approach with her horns regrown. She feels like she should say more, but doesn't.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

"Obviously. Nothing at all to report then? Pity." Rakinen said to Solys and Tsolg, expectantly, as he moved toward what he was pretty sure was the Hall of Lies.

"Come on -- we'll walk and talk, we've got another 'pissant' student to see --seems young Jerrick had a love interest that might have some more information for us. The last one -- student, not lover -- Erilia, was quite helpful actually. First of all, it seems Jerrick has been missing for a full month now without a trace. Second, until three months ago he was a well below average student, then suddenly, he's the darling of the class, flying through his exams, for two months straight. Then without a word, poof, gone. Said other people have done the same in the past -- average at best, then suddenly becoming smart -- but without the poof part. So it's hard to know whether it's specifically related, but it seems like quite a coincidence.

"We could have used your help actually -- any ideas what might cause that sort of leap in performance? I know Kurgess grants me a bit of His strength sometimes, so something like that? But over such a long time, instead of just for a short burst -- that would be some pretty powerful magic, wouldn't it?"

18. - Top - End - #168
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Cecil rubbed his chin in what he hoped was a sagacious fashion.

"What I wonder, and I haven't the foundation in academic magic to say for sure, is whether this phenomenon is notable outside of the academy. Is this something that only happens here? Or is it something all studiers of the arcane arts deal with?"

A pause.

"But either way, our next step is the Hall of Lies to meet this tiefling lady."
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"As it happens, we do have some information." Tsōlg replies, shortly, crossing his arms over his chest and looking unimpressed at Rakinen "Jerrick's room was ransacked. The door had some form of abjuration placed on it. All practical elements of his textbooks were removed - violently. We also recovered two artefacts which I will show you once we have privacy. However, does anyone recognize this symbol?" he asks, pulling out his blade and making a small etching in the path, the triangle-and-circle image he saw on the bottle.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Rakinen
    Show
    You're certain of one thing: The symbol isn't religious. Unfortunately, that's all you can glean from it. It does resemble the sort of thing you've heard described a few times, as some kind of primitive marking on a map.

Spoiler: Rakinen, Vesta, Cecil
    Show
    Having heard the rumors of the Hall of Lies' appearance (or rather, its constantly changing one), you're able to pick it out by looking for the most out-of-place seeming structure, one you've not heard anything of. It works - after all, you're sure someone would have mentioned a building on the Academae's campus that was shaped like a massive tree.

Approaching the Hall of Lies, you pass under the shade of its...branches. The Hall seems to be a massive tree, though as you come closer you see that its comprised of dozens or hundreds of smaller vine-like portions, all wrapping around one another and extending up, bulging out or dipping inwards seemingly at random. At the top, a layer of branches extends outwards, extending at regular intervals and quickly thinning out into dozens of smaller branches, providing a great deal of shade in the area close to the central structure. Nothing seems to have been set up to take advantage of this shade; the ground is devoid of the occasional chairs or similar you've seen in other areas. It's not immediately obvious where the entrance is, but coming closer you're able to identify it.

A segment of the trunk covered in more vines than normal, extending several feet forwards from the surrounding wood, shelters blackened wood in a roughly door-like shape, with a massive tome embedded in its center. As you approach, the book opens, pages turning suddenly before it splits in half as the door opens, a young woman in a dark gray cloak emerging and hustling past, grumbling to herself and not giving your group a second look. Or much of a first one, really. It takes a few moments, but you're able to puzzle out the entrance - opening the book (which isn't actually as hard as it appears it should be, given how half of it is very firmly embedded in the door) results in a soft clunk that's followed by the door opening a crack, after which it can be entered almost like a mundane door.

Inside, the first thing that you notice is the humidity. No, it's the heat. Well, it's both, really, though they compete rather well for first place. Here, the walls are wooden, though of the sort you're more used to, having been cut and put into place, though many are covered by images painted in various styles. Despite the exceptional humidity, and the mid-summer-like heat, the paintings seem to be perfectly dry, though in other places the walls are slick with condensation. Halls extend to the left and right, the floor turning into grate-like segments from which steam rises, adding more heat and humidity to the already hot and damp room. Up ahead is another tree, this one with gnarled bark and branches that extend up through small holes in the ceiling. It rests in a pool of clear water, though it almost seems to be pulling itself up from it, with many of the visible roots barely skimming the surface of the water. It doesn't quite block the way forwards, but it does seem like it would be awkward to get past if you wanted to avoid filling any normal shoes with water - the pool is about shin deep (except for Solys, though anything ankle-height would still be soaked for her).

Oddly enough, a wooden lectern is positioning just in front of the tree, which seems to have grown such that one could potentially lounge in its branches, reading from a book placed on the lectern...if one found a way to climb up, which would be awkward but doable. The bark seems to shift as you watch, shifting until a face seems to 'surface' in it, looking down at you from some of the higher branches.

"Excellent costumes, dears," it says, voice resembling something between a groaning tree and the shifting of leaves against one another. "I don't even recognize you!"

21. - Top - End - #171

Solys, seeing no alternative, pokes the face in the tree.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Tsölg slowly but surely places his face in is left hand, and sighs

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen, alarmed, grabbed Cecil by the scruff of the neck, whispering into his ear "You need to get your friend under control, or she's going to be the death of us all."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

The tree-face stares at Solys as she approaches, saying nothing until the horned woman pokes her. For a moment, she's silent, then the bark of the tree shifts and a humanoid figure sprouts forwards. Covered in shimmering leaves, and with skin that looks identical to the tree bark from whence she came, the tree-face becomes a tree-woman, though only her upper body emerges, her form seeming to blend into the tree around her waist. She grins, laughing briefly, before extending an arm, slowly bringing a finger to just in front of Solys before softly tapping the tip of her nose.

"Not a costume, then, is it?" She asks, crossing her arms. "Are you new?" She continues, looking over the rest of the group, raising one leafy eyebrow, the gesture sending her vine-leaf hair into a brief explosion of bright fall colors before returning to its former green.

Spoiler: Vesta, Cecil
    Show
    This appears to be a dryad, though she does appear rather unusual, seemingly much more primal in appearance than most.

Spoiler: Solys
    Show
    Hardcheese gives a feeling of realization, then safety with an edge of confusion.

25. - Top - End - #175

Solys' eyes widen as the woman stpes out of the tree, and she half-brings a hand to her mouth before letting it fall. "A-Are you a...Fey?"
    She asks, eyes fixed on her.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen, clearly confused, shrugged and held up his visitor's pass for inspection.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Don't care. Got a job." Tsōlg replies after Solys' comment. He steps forwards, eyeing up the creature with a narrowed look. "We're here to talk to one of the residents about a missing person. You need to let us pass. She's a Tiefling." he turns to the rest. "Any of you manage to get furnished with a name? Just to be helpful, you know?"

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

"Devold was the last name. Ilena, Irena... not sure of the pronunciation."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

The tree-woman smiles. "Ah, so you are. I am indeed," she replies to Solys, before turning to Tsōlg. "A job? Here to speak to..." she looks over to Rakinen as he speaks. "Irena Devold? That is unusual to hear, I didn't think she'd keep your sort of company," she looks over the group. "I wonder if you'll manage to find her? Please tell me how it goes. Oh, and what you see of course. That's always good to know..." the tree-woman nods, and then gestures behind her. "Fourth floor. Enjoy yourselves!"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen trudged up the steps to the fourth floor, taking a look to see if there were any other exits from the floor besides the one he had arrived through.