New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

Rakinen studied the image intently, doing his best to fix at least the rough details into his mind for later recall. "That's very impressive, Irena -- both the carving and the magic to summon it into your possession like that. You must study very hard!"

"As for the other matter, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about, nobody here is stupid enough to just go barging into a forbidden room and steal things. You two did ask permission, right?"
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2017-09-28 at 12:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

"The door let us in." Solys tells Rakinen, from where she stands, because a seat might not be able to take her weight. "I guess it thought better of us than you do."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen started to say something, then stopped himself... then couldn't stop himself any longer. He blurted out: "Right now I think you're an incredibly talented person with absolutely no self control or understanding of how dangerous you are, and if that door didn't let you in you would have torn it off its hinges out of spite like you did Overni's. What part of that is wrong?"

4. - Top - End - #244

Solys thinks for a moment, as Hardcheese scrambles back to her hand. "All of it. You've not seen any of my talent. You don't know what's going on in my head, or why I do anything. And do you really, really think I've gone through nineteen years like this without learning how to control my strength?" She asks, tilting her head. "The only time I hurt somebody is when I mean to, so you can shove your assumptions up your ass, if there's any room beside your ****ing head."
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2017-09-28 at 06:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen took that jibe with a surprising lack of anger but a great deal of sadness. "My dear, it's precisely that you mean to hurt people that worries me the most. Someday you're going to find a door that will hit you back."

6. - Top - End - #246

"Tell me what my motivation is to hurt someone." Solys demands. "Tell me how many people I've hurt. Tell me just why you think I'd do it, outside of you saw me destroy a doorframe. Tell me why you have any right to think I'm some dangerous brute, when I've seen you make an ass out of yourself at least twice today and I've not called you a clown."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

"I've seen you twice in my life, you know. Once was at the Carnival -- yes, I saw you there, I don't know if you remember me but I certainly remember you, how could I forget -- where you showed great raw talent and fought with honor and grace and I thought 'there's someone that has a chance to be truly GREAT', and when I saw you were to be a part of this group that I could perhaps learn something from you, maybe even share some of what I know and help you get even a little bit better.

"The second time was today, when I saw you destroy a door frame and then run off from the rest of us with no consideration for anyone else's well being ... and now I'm not sure what to believe. I'd like you to prove to me that you're the first person more than the second. You can call me a clown if it makes you feel better. Maybe I am one, today, but if you think I'm not trying... I'd rather you just tell me what you think I've done wrong, though. That seems more productive for both of us."

8. - Top - End - #248

Solys scowls and shakes her head. "That's- You are the most ridiculous person I've met today. We went to do our job! Not hold your hand while you talk to a student! Should I yell at you for letting me talk to Irena by myself? It's the same thing, except we were doing something useful instead of standing by the door and staring at the sun."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen bristled for a moment, but composed himself and spoke almost in a whisper. "I'm sorry if you think I was ridiculous, maybe I am being ridiculous. I don't know what's ridiculous here and what isn't. I was, and am, attempting to do the job as well as I can guess how to do it. I still don't think I was wrong to stay and discuss with the student -- if we hadn't done that, we wouldn't be here with Ms. Devold now -- we're very sorry to put you through this conversation, really, but we obviously need to have it -- and we wouldn't have the information that we have now, would we?

"When I'm working with my students, and they're about to do something wrong, I tell them, and they learn and they get better. I don't tell them they're stupid for doing what they're doing and then not tell them what they should be doing instead. That doesn't help.

"So if you have suggestions for how I can be helpful going forward, tell me! I'm listening! Look, we're all here to do the same job, right? We're going to either all succeed or all fail, right, and you want to succeed, right? I know I do, I'm trying as hard as I can! So stop telling me how stupid I am for not understanding the job -- fine, I admit it, you're right, I'm stupid compared to all of you and I have no idea how to solve this problem, is that's what you want to hear? -- and explain to me how I'm supposed to be there to make sure nothing terrible happens when you go in one direction and he goes in another direction and he goes in another direction. Explain that to me. Because I'm pretty sure that's the one thing I'm here for, to try to be there when something goes wrong and make sure it doesn't go even more wrong, and you're all making it impossible for me to do it. Or tell me that's not my part of the job, and then tell me what my job is to you. If you think there's something I'm supposed to be doing besides that, tell me what it is and why you need me to do it so I can make better decisions next time. You want me to talk, I'll talk. You want me to stand there with my pants around my ankles so everyone can laugh at me while you talk, I'll do that. But if you tell me to do something and he tells me to do something else and he tells me to do something else, some of you are going to be mad at me, so maybe you should all discuss what you want me to do and then tell me so I'm not getting pulled in different directions. That's fair, right?

"You didn't like it when I talked, so I thought maybe I'd try not talking, but now you don't want me to not talk. So, what do you want me to do? Talk or not talk?"

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Rakinen?" Tsōlg says, softly, dangerously. "Shut up, you're becoming dangerous now, and that isn't good for any of us." The hobgoblin stands up, and walks around the table until he is right beside Rakinen, staring at him with no trace of amusement. "This is where you failed - treating this group as if it can only do one thing at once. Solys and I felt it was a better use of time to go to the room. You thought the time was best spent speaking to students. Both of us gathered useful information." he turns to Solys. "You can shut up as well. You're not helping either. Yes, Rakinen is a moron who shirks away from violence like, well, a priest, and I mean that with all the insult it sounds like I mean. But dismissing his contributions is not helpful in the slightest. You are both egotistical morons jeopardizing this mission, and likely making a potential ally" he points at Irena "See us as squabbling nitwits. You have two choices. Either you decide, right here and now, that I'm your general for this operation, and let me be the only judge of what we do being useful or not, or you stop thinking you should judge what other members of this team do. Rest assured, from my point of view you have both been valuable, hence why I'm bothering with this conversation instead of doing the job myself. If you have concerns, then tell them to me, in private." he pauses a moment to breathe, evidently worked up. "Rakinen, you want orders? Fine. I order you to speak your mind on matters pertaining to this case, but not in terms of other people's contributions. I also order you to explain again, in clear detail, what you require for your magic to track the target, what the range and dependability of it is."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

"You think I ran halfway across the grounds towards half a dozen tieflings with clubs that were coming near Cecil..." Rakinen blurted before choking back the rest of yet another sentence. "Fine. Whatever, believe whatever you want, if it makes you feel better about yourself."

"Get me within a few hundred feet of where we think a carving that looks like that is, I've got a pretty good picture of it now so that's fine, and if we're right when I do it, I can tell you exactly which direction it is, and probably with a little moving around we ought to be able to figure out just about how far it is, I think. Any farther than that's no good. Like I said, it's probably a dumb idea anyway since he could be anywhere in the damned world, he probably ran away from here in the first place because he was afraid of what might happen to him so he won't even want to be found, and he might not even have the stupid thing with him in the first place, so there's roughly no chance it's going to work anyway -- but other than that it's the best idea this moron has, so I said it. You happy now?"
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2017-09-28 at 10:02 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252

"I've done...none of the things you said?" Solys points out to Tsolg, not shying away from his gaze. "And you're not worth following." She doesn't have anything to add to Rakinen's ability to fid necklaces, so she doesn't.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen closed his eyes. "Tsolg, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have snapped. If it's okay, I would like to suggest that we give Ms. Devold her leave, and go talk to Professor Walla now, and we should discuss who's going to talk to him."

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Irena looks between the speakers slowly as the discussion progresses, eyebrows showing a progression of reactions. "Well, uh," she says. "Er. Good...luck, then?" She says, clearly not sure if this is a clear sign the group is leaving, or if you're not done yet.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If you go, don't feel the need to wait for an update post if you want to talk on the way. Just assume you go through halls and down stairs for long enough to talk and figure it out before I do a 'you leave and then get there' post tomorrow.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Whatever. If calling someone's actions 'standing around staring at the sun' isn't dismissing them, fine." Tsōlg stands and starts to walk off, inclining his head to Rakinen as he passes. "I agree Rakinen. As we walk there, we should probably confer on what we want to ask." he says, and waits outside. If Rakinen comes, whether or not the others also come, he starts walking briskly out and towards their next port of call. "Irena is probably right about Jerrick not having the power to use that spell. However we've no idea if his sudden increase in skill could account for that, so we should probably start by asking the professor if Jerrick talked to her about teleportation, which would give us the most pertinent information right away. Thoughts?"

16. - Top - End - #256

"It's called juxtaposition." Solys informs the hobgoblin. "And I don't know how to proceed, but we should keep an eye out for anyone watching us. We've done enough that, if there is foul play, anyone involved will want to know what we're doing." She pauses. "So familiar students, or, er, familiars."

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen did indeed follow. In response to Tsolg, he shrugged. "I would have asked about that mountain symbol you saw. Where he is seems more important than how he got there, I think? If they're actually after him, the Academae, I mean, I assume they'd have just done it by now if they knew where he was. If they can teach people to teleport, they can do it themselves, right? And I don't think we can? That seems like a bad race. So let's hope he didn't. That's our only chance."
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2017-09-29 at 09:42 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Hmm, well, I don't think we can do much more than just keep a watchful eye open for people trying to stymie us. Can't exactly investigate it 'quietly'. What do you think we should do if we do spot a spy, Solys? I assume outright attacks would be a.. faux pas, as it were." Tsōlg asks.

19. - Top - End - #259

Solys thinks for a moment, then shrugs. "Give it a snack?"

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Joke?" Tsölg asks, apparently genuinely unsure

21. - Top - End - #261
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Cecil does a half-smile-half-shrug. "I think we left quietly behind some time ago. If we spy someone spying us, walking up and engaging them, even with a snack, might be the fastest route to more information."
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Irena wishes the group luck one last time as they leave, returning to whatever she'd been doing before when the group arrived. The way back down is uneventful, though the return to the ground floor is marked with a sudden increase in humidity and heat. The tree is silent this time as the group passes and the outside easily reached again, providing another relief from the heat and moisture of the Hall of Lies' ground floor. Outside, the sun is significantly lower than it was when seen from inside the room you'd all spoken to Irena in, with the shadow cast by the walls covering a large portion of the open campus. You go around and then into the Hall of Conjuration, garnering a few more curious looks on the way, though none approach your group.

In the Hall of Conjuration, a brief search for information leads you to a door on the fifth floor, ajar, with "PROF. WELLA, TELEPORTATION, CARTOGRAPHY" carved neatly into a wooden plate to one side. Stepping inside reveals a surprisingly large room, dominated by rows of benches and similar desks, surrounding a raised section of the floor on which a large, perfectly-polished slab of black marble sits atop an odd wooden contraption likely made to allow for it to be swiveled. A desk with various papers on it is off to the side, and the walls are covered in various maps - some are familiar, showing Korvosa, parts of Varisia, or similar. Others show unusual stretches of terrain, mountain ranges with names in a script illegible to all of you, or similar.

Sitting cross-legged on the desk, looking up with a bored expression as you enter, is a small creature ruby red in color, with batlike wings and a long, thin, barbed tail. An imp, not unlike some of those that take to the skies above Korvosa. He picks up a small bell on the table and rings it with a sigh. "Couldn't you come in one at a time? Ugh. Seventy-eight more..."

A moment later, a half-elven woman appears, dressed in dark red robes and carrying a thick book. She looks over the group with what is originally disinterest, then raises an eyebrow. "Professor Wella," she says, indicating herself with one hand. "Who would you all be?"

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen looked over at his compatriots. Noticing that nobody else was inclined to take the lead, he stepped forward.

"Rakinen Davarii, professor" he said softly and a bit uncomfortably, extending his tattooed arm in offer of a handshake. "And, um this is Solys, and this is Tsolg. We're trying to help solve a bit of a mystery, and one of the students recommended that we talk to you about it."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Professor Wella's eyes flick down to the offered hand for a moment, but she doesn't acknowledge it. "A mystery?" She asks, and snaps her fingers. The imp grumbles and scampers off to a small metal box lying next to one of the rows of seats, opening the door and stepping inside before shutting it behind him. The box seems to be fully enclosed, with the words "Quiet Time" written on it.

"Speak freely and dispense with any pleasantries you would otherwise feel are necessary," the professor says. "Every word is valuable, no need to waste any. What is your mystery?"

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Oddly, the professor's brusqueness seemed to set Rakinen at ease a bit. "We found a symbol. We think it's some sort of a symbol name of a place, or something found on a map, but none of us can figure it out. It looks like -- well, here. Tsolg, please correct me if this is wrong ..." as he took his book and pen out of his pack and drew the mountain-and-sun symbol for the professor.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Tsōlg tilts his head, staring at the imp for a time with his lips pressed close. When it closes its box, his attention snaps back and he walks forwards, looking at the symbol Rakinen has drawn. "Yes." he replies curtly, with a nod. "This symbol was on a small bottle. Of unknown, but clearly magical origin."

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Professor Wella nods at Rakinen's description, and steps forwards to take the drawing, staring down at it for a few moments before nodding. "Yes, I recognize this. Classic Zaebol 15," she says, before stepping over to the marble, snapping her fingers. In response, the surface of the marble suddenly shifts, showing a well-made map dominated by mountains in the west, foothills in the center and then plains towards the eastern edge. The half-elven woman pokes the marble-turned-map firmly, and a soft red covers the entirety of the map. "That symbol is associated with the central settlement - apparently unmoving, oddly enough - of a tribal union in the Hold of Belkzen," she explains. "Generally referred to as 'The Sun-Kissed'. Sadly, my requests for funding and leave in order to properly research them have been denied."

28. - Top - End - #268

Solys ambles slowly across the room to join the main gathering, as Hardcheese crawls down from between her horns, down the back of her hood, and into her resting spot in the bosom of the skinwalker's robes. She arrives within speaking distance just as the wall shifts into the visage of a map, making her pause as her mind works to figure out the trick.

She first opens her mouth to speak, then remembers that announcing her guesses as to the nature of the spell would make her look silly. She doubts herself, opens her mouth again, then remembers that the rest of the group is talking about something actually relevant to their task. Then she remains silent, because Professor Wella is far too pretty to embarrass herself in front of.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

When Belzken covers the map, Tsōlgs face draws tight, teeth showing between thin lips in a grimace. His eyes flick to the northwest corner for a few moments before he seems to gather himself, and nods curtly. "We are looking for Jerrick Overni." he states, simply. "This symbol is connected with his disappearance. Can you think of any reason he would have an interest in the toc meraal?" he asks, switching to goblin for the last few words.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakinen furrowed his brow, staring at the map for a moment. "How far would it take to get there from here, if one had to go on foot or by horse?" he idly questioned,p before another idea popped into his head. "Oh! And, um, as he said, we think maybe it has to do with Jerrick Overni going missing. Do you know if he was he at a point in his studies where he would have been capable of teleporting somewhere?"