New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Solo Cavalier Run - Advice and Discussion Welcome!

I'm sure there are enough gibberlings, hobgoblins, kobolds, and wolves in the general vicinity.

Just gotta watch out for bears, and any encounters that involve going up against tough NPCs.

2. - Top - End - #62

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    I think you might want to try the EEKeeper cheat engine for something more intricate in customization, because it let you change models, to my recollection.
    Thanks! I'll try that out if I ever upgrade the Ankheg armor, which kinda decides your color scheme for you.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Lector87 View Post
    Yeahh, the unsurprising result continues to be unsurprising. Gerd downed an oil of speed and ran circles around him while blasting him with the WOMM - emptied all ten charges into him and barely got him down to half health. The second Gerd moves into close combat, he kills her in one shot - full health to zero.

DEATH TALLY: 4

Somehow I think taking on Greywolf to get his sword is not the first thing Gerd should be attempting while she's still level 1...

Perhaps an easier early-game challenge, to level a bit? More HP is all Gerd needs to take this guy, I think.
    I'm...honestly surprised you're having so much trouble with Greywolf. Maybe it's something to do with the mods you're using (I've only ever played un-modded) making it more difficult, perhaps, but I've beaten him solo, as a level 1, more than once. Kiting does/should work and IIRC you can purchase throwing axes in Nashkel.

That said, perhaps grinding some of the local xvarts and kobolds to the West OR grabbing some quest XP at the carnival or by freeing Brage from his curse to fast-track yourself to level 2 or 3 might be an idea (neither of which should require any fights).
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    I'm...honestly surprised you're having so much trouble with Greywolf. Maybe it's something to do with the mods you're using (I've only ever played un-modded) making it more difficult, perhaps, but I've beaten him solo, as a level 1, more than once. Kiting does/should work and IIRC you can purchase throwing axes in Nashkel.

That said, perhaps grinding some of the local xvarts and kobolds to the West OR grabbing some quest XP at the carnival or by freeing Brage from his curse to fast-track yourself to level 2 or 3 might be an idea (neither of which should require any fights).
    Hmm, I'm not using any mods, so that's not it. I can certainly try throwing axes. The only tactic I've used in my couple of attempts is pumping 10 magic missiles into him, then moving into melee. The guy has a LOT of HP.

What class/strategy have you used when you've beaten him at level 1?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Hmm, I'm not using any mods, so that's not it. I can certainly try throwing axes. The only tactic I've used in my couple of attempts is pumping 10 magic missiles into him, then moving into melee. The guy has a LOT of HP.

What class/strategy have you used when you've beaten him at level 1?
    I've solo'd him with a level 1 Elven Fighter using a Composite Longbow (kiting) and the other time I actually recall was getting lucky with a Half-Elven MC Fighter/Mage/Thief (so by a certain point of view might not technically be level 1, per se), some tactical spell use, stealth and a +1 dagger applied liberally to the back. The latter isn't too much help to you unless you decide to invest heavily in Invisibility potions, but kiting should stand you on good stead. It's a long fight, but definitely doable.

(Not that it matters, but by-the bye, when I say un-modded, I mean the original release that came on 5 discs back in the 90's. There were no Class Kits or dual-wielding back in the day!)
    Last edited by JellyPooga; 2017-08-18 at 04:33 PM.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Druid with Entangle and a sling is excellent at the task. Usually I don't try at level 1.

Just watch out, there's at least one winter wolf south of there with a Very Nasty breath attack.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

7. - Top - End - #67
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Druid with Entangle and a sling is excellent at the task. Usually I don't try at level 1.

Just watch out, there's at least one winter wolf south of there with a Very Nasty breath attack.
    Not if he kept the Belt of Antipode. ;-)
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #68

I've solo'd him with a level 1 Elven Fighter using a Composite Longbow (kiting) and the other time I actually recall was getting lucky with a Half-Elven MC Fighter/Mage/Thief (so by a certain point of view might not technically be level 1, per se), some tactical spell use, stealth and a +1 dagger applied liberally to the back. The latter isn't too much help to you unless you decide to invest heavily in Invisibility potions, but kiting should stand you on good stead. It's a long fight, but definitely doable.

(Not that it matters, but by-the bye, when I say un-modded, I mean the original release that came on 5 discs back in the 90's. There were no Class Kits or dual-wielding back in the day!)
    Ahh, got it.

I think I'll pick up some XP here and there (Gerd is an inch away from level 2) and buy some throwing axes before taking him on again. Not having the use of a bow or a lot of debuff spells really changes the landscape.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Not if he kept the Belt of Antipode. ;-)
    I did in fact! Lady Gerd is actually wearing it at the moment...mostly to free up an inventory slot. I'm pretty sure the biggest challenge of a solo run is agonizing over what loot you can take with you until you get back to a merchant.
    Last edited by Lector87; 2017-08-18 at 05:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Also - the one spell Lady Gerd is NOT allowed to use, in wand form or otherwise, is Summon Monster.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but the only time I beat the game, I aggro'd Sarevok away from his companions, spammed Summon Monster until he couldn't even move he was so surrounded with wolves and gnolls, and just shot him to death at my leisure with my party entirely armed with bows. Cheap, but effective!

11. - Top - End - #71

Went into a tent at the carnival. Found a mage about to murder a woman. Distracted him. He turned into five people and blasted Gerd to pieces.

DEATH TALLY: 5

Backtracked to the Nashkel Inn to rest for the night so at least Lady Gerd could explore by the light of day. Met an assassin who hit Gerd with a hold spell, rendering her helpless while she was pummeled to bits.

DEATH TALLY: 6

12. - Top - End - #72

Oh wow, you guys weren't kidding about the effectiveness of throwing axes on a high-strength character.

Greywolf dead, sword of awesomeness obtained.

Though Lady Gerd might be in love with axes now...

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Oh wow, you guys weren't kidding about the effectiveness of throwing axes on a high-strength character.
    Generally, ranged weapons are king in normal BG1 progression and are still plenty useful throughout due to the magic/utility arrows. As a solo martial, though, you should be able to hit your "good" fighting levels soon, and with the bonus attack per round (vanilla BG1 doesn't give you dual-wielding and its bonus attacks, but it does let you fire twice a row with a bow) you will get effective more quickly. The moment Varscona kicks in and you hit level 3, you should have a much, much easier time. The only problem, then, will be diversifying your tactics to meet rival adventuring parties that are out to kill you or with whom you just pick a random fight. Everything else should just get butchered, methinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

14. - Top - End - #74

Oh, and Lady Gerd took on a magical exploding ogre, and exploded him for the last time, to get to level 2 before she took on Greywolf again.

Longer update with screenshots on the way, should be sometime this evening.

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    Generally, ranged weapons are king in normal BG1 progression and are still plenty useful throughout due to the magic/utility arrows. As a solo martial, though, you should be able to hit your "good" fighting levels soon, and with the bonus attack per round (vanilla BG1 doesn't give you dual-wielding and its bonus attacks, but it does let you fire twice a row with a bow) you will get effective more quickly. The moment Varscona kicks in and you hit level 3, you should have a much, much easier time. The only problem, then, will be diversifying your tactics to meet rival adventuring parties that are out to kill you or with whom you just pick a random fight. Everything else should just get butchered, methinks.
    Excellent.

I anticipate that my general approach to the rest of the game will be...

1. Attempt honorable toe-to-toe combat.
    2. If that fails, resort to Axe Cheese.
    3. If that fails, run blubbering to the Forum for help and work out exactly what combination of wands, potions, special equipment and dirty tactics are necessary to carry the day.

Anyway, now that I have the armor, the sword, and Lady Gerd's second level, my vague idea is that I would just clear the world map square by square, starting in the southeast corner and working my way northward to Baldur's Gate, making sure to check out the islands before finishing the game.

Which would make Gerd's next destination the Gibberling Mountains, Location code: AR5500...

16. - Top - End - #76

And oh hey, kind Mr. Greywolf gave Lady Gerd her 3rd level! Thanks man!

Spoiler: NOTHING CAN STOP ME NOW
    Show

Our good Cavalier's current inventory, heading into the gibberling mountains...

Spoiler: how many axes is too many axes
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

There's no such thing as too many axes.

For a bit of easy Xp, head to High Hedge, one map west of Beregost, then south one. Take the talking Chicken and a Skeleton skull to the wizard. Piece of cake.

18. - Top - End - #78

Gibberling Mountains (AR5500) Cleared!

So-called "Gibberling Mountains" featured approximately 5 gibberlings. Very disappointed, will NOT leave a favorable Yelp review. You put your name on something, there better be HORDES of you little meatbags of XP.

Spoiler: Disappointment
    Show

Well, at least Lady Gerd got to meet a funny little man who gave her a Scroll of Foreshadowing...

Spoiler: Foreshadowing
    Show

...perform her FLAWLESS tarrasque impression, in the majestic plural no less...

Spoiler: MAJESTIC
    Show

..and put a full-grown man in her inventory! Shame she had to drop a lot of her axes, this guy better be worth it.

Spoiler: Where's the Strong Back Perk When You Need It?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

Is there a place in this thread I should keep a "pinned" running count of deaths, areas cleared, and current character level?

20. - Top - End - #80

The real question is - how will Gerd get through her adventures without being constantly reassured that Gorion would be proud of her actions?

21. - Top - End - #81

Nashkel Mines (AR5400) Cleared! ...above ground...

The overworld area above the fabled (and dreaded) Nashkel Mines has been cleared of all villains, demons, monsters, and madmen. Time to venture below!

Spoiler: t'weren't nothin'
    Show

Other miscellaneous accomplishments include relieving Gerd's inventory of a full-grown man...

Spoiler: he was heavy
    Show

...clearing the stairs into the Friendly Arm Inn, and making a bit of a mess in the process...

Spoiler: oh the humanity
    Show

...turning down the assistance of the most irritating couple in Faerun...

Spoiler: why do they complain about everything
    Show

...gaining the ability to see in the dark...

Spoiler: but can she see why kids love the taste of cinnamon toast crunch?
    Show

...getting her revenge on a coupla dweebs...

Spoiler: I probably should have saved that scroll but WHATEVER
    Show

...learning she had a price on her pretty little head...

Spoiler: seems kinda low to be honest
    Show

...and engaging in random dog murder.

Spoiler: more dead puppers
    Show

Good day, fun times.
    Last edited by Lector87; 2017-08-18 at 10:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Have to say, I'm loving this "Let's Play"! I dig your sense of humour, man.

23. - Top - End - #83

Have to say, I'm loving this "Let's Play"! I dig your sense of humour, man.
    Thanks! Sharing the experience makes it much more fun!

24. - Top - End - #84

Nashkel Mines Level 1 (AR5401) Cleared!

Spoiler: I think I'm coughing up blood
    Show

...so can anyone explain why all the miners are emaciated old men wearing nothing but booty shorts?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Nashkel Mines Level 1 (AR5401) Cleared!

Spoiler: I think I'm coughing up blood
    Show

...so can anyone explain why all the miners are emaciated old men wearing nothing but booty shorts?
    It's just the fashion. The year before, those were all strapping muscular manly men, but the Sword Coast Gazette featured an article about size zero miners and it just kinda caught on.

26. - Top - End - #86

It's just the fashion. The year before, those were all strapping muscular manly men, but the Sword Coast Gazette featured an article about size zero miners and it just kinda caught on.
    Hey, they've maintained a modicum of self-respect - at least they're not sporting man-buns.

Nashkel Mines Levels 2+3 (AR5402+AR5403) Cleared!

Spoiler: so many kobolds
    Show

I'm pretty sure Lady Gerd has single-handedly decimated the world's kobold population.

An obliging ghoul very kindly provided our heroine her 4th level.

Spoiler: thank you gentle sir and good day
    Show

And we met a filthy CHEATER named Mulahey who should NOT be allowed to cast Hold Person on unsuspecting young ladies!

Spoiler: Mulahey's father smelt of elderberries
    Show

DEATH TALLY: 7
    Last edited by Lector87; 2017-08-19 at 03:46 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, Mulahey's an ********. If you've got any Magic Missile wand left, it's the second spell he casts if I'm not mistaken, and I believe he can only do it once. Then it's back to the regularly scheduled chopping/axe throwing.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Yeah, Mulahey's an ********. If you've got any Magic Missile wand left, it's the second spell he casts if I'm not mistaken, and I believe he can only do it once. Then it's back to the regularly scheduled chopping/axe throwing.
    Be sure to take out all the skellies in the room to the left first, before engaging Mulahey, to give yourself some running room. He is a tough one though. The WoMM is handy for interrupting his spells, as Triaxx says (which as you may have found, include Hold Person).

29. - Top - End - #89

Nashkel Mines Level 4 (AR5404) Cleared!

Mulahey got off his cheap Hold Person one more time...

DEATH TALLY: 8

...but on Lady Gerd's third attempt she undertook a CLEVER RUSE.

Namely, she attacked him while he was waiting for her to go "inspect" his chest for papers, doing enough damage to send him into "flee" mode, at which point she chased him down and BUTCHERED HIM LIKE THE VILE DOG HE - uh, I mean, exacted cool, impartial justice on the benighted recreant.

Spoiler: sweet justice
    Show

Met a hilariously gloomy fellow, didn't give him his sword back because Gerd wanted to hock it, discovered the sword was worth zero gold...

Anyway, done and done with the Nashkel Mines!

Spoiler: lot less scary than the last time I remember
    Show

After this, Lady Gerd will cut westward toward the gnoll fortress, and clear the bottom "row" of the map.

30. - Top - End - #90

In other important news, the malicious demon known as "Noober" was dispatched with zeal, and there was great rejoicing.

Spoiler: great rejoicing
    Show

Moving westward, Lady Gerd encountered an Amnian sociopath who fancied herself a real General Zoroff.

Spoiler: the most dangerous game
    Show

After an initial debacle that our heroine barely survived, she returned for a frank exchange of opinions...

Spoiler: civilized repartee
    Show

...and picked up a shiny new offhand weapon!

Spoiler: sweet loot
    Show

It's a good thing that nobody and nothing is immune to magic weapons, and Lady Gerd will definitely never need an unenchanted sword again!

But of course, the real event of a lifetime was a million-to-one chance encounter with the three and only Larry, Darryl, and Darryl!!!

Spoiler: WHAT ARE THE ODDS
    Show

Their autograph is Gerd's most precious possession, and will never leave her inventory.