New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Solo Cavalier Run - Advice and Discussion Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Lector87 View Post
    Immersion successful!

Seriously, if there are any stats you or anyone else would like to see as we progress, just ask and I'll post it.
    Mostly just reflex. And, as Gloating Swine mentioned, getting a scroll of protection from petrification and going to the Basilisk area is a pretty awesome way to quickly get XP. You have to watch out for the wizard and the grumpy adventurers, but it will help you climb (I intend to dump everyone but a level 1 mage Imoen and go do it with my cleric/thief, when the time comes). The basilisks do do a bit of mundane damage, but you'll eat up the levels pretty quickly.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Mostly just reflex. And, as Gloating Swine mentioned, getting a scroll of protection from petrification and going to the Basilisk area is a pretty awesome way to quickly get XP. You have to watch out for the wizard and the grumpy adventurers, but it will help you climb (I intend to dump everyone but a level 1 mage Imoen and go do it with my cleric/thief, when the time comes). The basilisks do do a bit of mundane damage, but you'll eat up the levels pretty quickly.
    Thanks for the tip! If I find myself struggling before I get to that area, I'll head over there for the XP farming.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

I always farm Ankhegs myself but I like living dangerously.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Speaking of Ankhegs - is there a suit of armor in BG or BG2 even better than the Ankheg Armor for a knight?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lector87 View Post
    Speaking of Ankhegs - is there a suit of armor in BG or BG2 even better than the Ankheg Armor for a knight?
    In BG2 there are several higher end armours made out of bits of dragon. In BG1 it's pretty much your top, because it's not enchanted you can wear the RoP+2 with it and get a lower AC than the +1 Full Plate (Also add Cloak and Helm of Balduran, Boots of Avoidance and with 18/19 Dex you can be at an AC of about -6, and -9 against steenking archers).

(Though in normal full party games it tends to go to one of the characters who doesn't even lift because it's so light).

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Red Dragonscale is pretty good, giving you 50% fire resist. Combine with the Dragon Slayers Helm, shield and Sword, and you're immune to fire and doing bonus damage.

Black Dragonscale is also awesome. It provides acid resistance. But that's not until almost the end of Shadows of Am.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Red Dragonscale is pretty good, giving you 50% fire resist. Combine with the Dragon Slayers Helm, shield and Sword, and you're immune to fire and doing bonus damage.

Black Dragonscale is also awesome. It provides acid resistance. But that's not until almost the end of Shadows of Am.
    There is no Black Dragonscale.

There's Shadow Dragonscale, and you can get that pretty early, assuming you can shank up the Shadow Dragon (it's in the shadow temple where you recruit Mazzy).

The Black Dragon is at the end of SoA, you get the Bladesinger Chain from it.

(Shadow Dragonscale is also handy because it's light armour and so most classes can wear it)

8. - Top - End - #128

Personally, I'd be leery of farming Ankhegs on a solo run, unless you're also prepared to burn a few giant strength potions to carry them all.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, you're right. I was thinking of the Blue Dragon Plate instead. That's electrical resistance though and it's mostly useless by then.

White Dragon Scale is worse, since you've gotta go into Watcher's Keep for it.

I don't farm Ankhegs for the shells. Just the XP.

10. - Top - End - #130

Bear River (AR4600) Cleared!

Spoiler: ogres and gibberlings and bears oh my
    Show

Observation of the day: there is a lot of wide-open space in BG1. Every time I come back to the game I'm struck by how much of the map is just empty wilderness, with a few monsters and other encounters sprinkled in. They really just took a chunk of the FR setting and said "this is where you are, this is what's in these x square miles, wander around however much you like." It's almost like an isometric Elder Scrolls game.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

That's one of the best things about BG1 and the one gripe I have with BG2. Lots of empty map space and nothing to explore. I still remember my first encounter with some random shlepps in red, and then regretting that.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

That's one of the best things about BG1 and the one gripe I have with BG2. Lots of empty map space and nothing to explore. I still remember my first encounter with some random shlepps in red, and then regretting that.
    Haha, I distinctly remember fearing wilderness maps because of wolves. Them's a nasty bunch with the tendency of 1st level adventurers to spontaneously keel over and die from an unlucky roll.

13. - Top - End - #133

Xvart Village (AR 4700) Cleared!

Spoiler: xvart village, population nil
    Show

I mean, sure, theoretically wiping out an entire village of diminutive primitives might not seem very paladin-like. But hey, they started it!

Spoiler: without remorse
    Show

I'd forgotten about Ursa, who killed my first party member (Minsc) on my first playthrough.

Spoiler: ursa not kind
    Show

I'd also forgotten that immediately after that line, the bear mauls the xvart before it turns on you.

It's the little things...like dead xvarts...

14. - Top - End - #134

Nashkel (AR4800) and Nashkel Carnival (AR4900) Cleared!

There wasn't actually much left to do in Nashkel or the Carnival, but Gerd finally got around to fully exploring both maps.

Spoiler: because completionism
    Show

Of note: our second instance of being "waylaid" by a non-aggroed (and no doubt very confused) polar bear, and the random opium...uh, I mean "black lotus," den...

Spoiler: winners don't do drugs, kids
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

Valley of Tombs (AR 5000) Cleared!

Moving east from the Carnival, Lady Gerd explored the imaginatively-named Valley of Tombs, in which there were, like, two tombs.

Spoiler: anyone notice a trend here?
    Show

In one tomb, she returned a knife to some undead dude with an obsession. What's the story here? Who knows!

Spoiler: honestly, I don't care, just take it, it's been a long day
    Show

In the other, she killed some ghasts, and picked up a wand which she WILL NOT USE, PINKY PROMISE.

Along the way, she encountered a passel of assassins (and the first mention of the Iron Throne...that she's noticed...)

Spoiler: mostly futile, sounds like a good book title
    Show

Magical nonsense was involved.

DEATH TALLY: 10

Fortunately, Gerd has picked up a little sumpin'-sumpin' for getting through those long lonely nights, when a solitary lady cavalier begins to question her life choices.

Spoiler: paladin's little helper
    Show

So the second encounter went much more smoothly.

Spoiler: any questions
    Show

Besides downing a potion and applying the ol' Protection from Evil, apparently another option is just...selecting a different dialogue choice...

Upon encountering an enlightened chap who has seen the future when slime serves man as God intended, Lady Gerd thought she ought to jump on that bandwagon. Plainly, the visionary in question had other ideas. And fire. And slimes.

Spoiler: did I mention she was still wearing the antipode belt
    Show

DEATH TALLY: 11

Eager for a rematch, we took a different dialogue route just to see what happens...

Spoiler: why is everyone so rude though
    Show

...and the formidable conjurer simply walked away, leaving us with forever unfulfilled dreams of ooze dominion.

16. - Top - End - #136

And Lady Gerd has hit Level 6!

So where should we stick her next proficiency, folks?

I'm inclined to start leveling in Bastard Swords, with an eye toward dual-wielding Purifier + Foebane down the road.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Definitely get at least one point. I know there's a Bastard Sword with +4 vs Dopplegangers that comes in handy later on. I just don't recall where to find it.

18. - Top - End - #138

Definitely get at least one point. I know there's a Bastard Sword with +4 vs Dopplegangers that comes in handy later on. I just don't recall where to find it.
    I mentioned that one up the way a bit... there's one that's +3 v. shapeshifters and another that's +4 v. lycanthropes.
    The Cranky Gamer

19. - Top - End - #139

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I mentioned that one up the way a bit... there's one that's +3 v. shapeshifters and another that's +4 v. lycanthropes.
    Curiously fitting that there are "bastard" swords especially effective against creatures who are neither fish nor fowl.

20. - Top - End - #140

Alright, bastard swords it is!

Spoiler: swordchuck technology imminent
    Show

And here are our intrepid heroine's 6th level stats...

Spoiler: lookin good
    Show

And now, north to Firewine Bridge!
    Last edited by Lector87; 2017-08-30 at 09:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Firewine Bridge (AR4500) and Firewine Ruins (5201) Cleared!

In the vicinity of Firewine Bridge, our Lady Gerd met a charming miscellany of lunatics.

Spoiler: truly the finest the sword coast has to offer
    Show

And she spent a lot of time wandering around some completely empty space.

Spoiler: so much walking, so little payoff
    Show

She then spent a lot of time squeezing down narrow corridors, most of which lead to dead ends featuring deadly traps and no treasure! Huzzah!

Spoiler: how did I fit a whole party in here?
    Show

At least she had the satisfaction of delivering some noble souls from accursed undeath...

Spoiler: all in a day's work
    Show

..and freeing some halfling village from a diabolical plot, I guess?

Spoiler: I think we came in through this scenario's backdoor
    Show

Next: westward ho, to Lonely Peaks!
    Last edited by Lector87; 2017-08-31 at 07:44 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Lonely Peaks (AR4400), North Nashkel Road (AR4300), and Fisherman's Lake (AR4200) Cleared!

In the course of her wanderings, Lady Gerd tragically failed to rescue a poor farmer's cow from xvart gang violence...

Spoiler: dang all that violent music about cow-killing
    Show

...used the best dialogue option in the game so far...

Spoiler: sick of your crap random hermit
    Show

...encountered a pair of loony fisherfolk...

Spoiler: how you mine for fish
    Show

...and ran into some emo loser named Drizzle or whatever...

Spoiler: were you designed by a grade-schooler?
    Show

Her rampage across the realms continues unabated! Her resolve shall not falter!

Spoiler: wait, where are we going again?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

That's not the best line so far, but the absolute best line period in the series.

24. - Top - End - #144

That's not the best line so far, but the absolute best line period in the series.
    And you'd miss it if you don't happen to run across this completely non-essential NPC!

A big part of the charm of games like these is that they'll toss in this hilarious, tongue-in-cheek material, but they don't bother forcing it on the player. The player has to find all these little hidden gems.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I just noticed that Gerd refers to herself in First Person Plural. Is she part of the monarchy?
    Last edited by monomer; 2017-09-01 at 04:13 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    I just noticed that Gerd refers to herself in First Person Plural. Is she part of the monarchy?
    Well, she is the heir to a throne...

27. - Top - End - #147

Archaeological Site (AR4100) Cleared!

Lady Gerd assisted in the preservation and understanding of ancient civilizations by breaking open a tomb, killing a lot of innocent men, and leaving the artifacts the heck alone.

Spoiler: does NOT belong in a museum
    Show

She also restored a man's sanity, as well as his sense of horror and guilt. Paladins are all about guilt. Very healthy, keeps you on the straight and narrow.

Spoiler: yes I took him to the temple what do you take me for
    Show

Some hobgoblin told Lady Gerd to go away. This never works out for anybody.

Spoiler: Lady Gerd goes where she wants
    Show

Archeology is fun!

Spoiler: we've learned a lot today
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, archeology. Whips, snakes, awesome hats. What more can you ask for?

29. - Top - End - #149

Lighthouse (AR3600) Cleared!

Heading north-ish from the Archaeological Site, Lady Gerd met with one Safana...who was obviously not interested in the, uh, company our maiden knight could offer...

Spoiler: no fine speciMEN here my good woman, move along
    Show

She then ran across a petty fortune-teller who obviously was afflicted with some tragically pathological paranoia. Self-defense was the only option.

Spoiler: why does asking people questions always lead to killing them?
    Show

She was attacked by a pack of green-hued harridans with no manners and really terrible singing voices...

Spoiler: were they...trying to be seductive?
    Show

...and fought her way through a cavern in order to seize a FABLED PIRATE'S TREASURE. Sadly, said treasure was concealed in a bit of rock, rather than a magnificent wrecked pirate ship haunted by the restless dead, swinging cutlasses etc.

Spoiler: would just one tri-corner hat be too much to ask
    Show

In the course of said exploration, she discovered that apparently they put Hold Person spells in traps these days, because James Ohlen wasn't loved as a child.

DEATH TALLY: 12

Potion of FREEEDOOOOM solved that problem.

Anyway, Lighthouse area explored, bada-bing, bada-boom.

Spoiler: oh yeah there was a kid and some wolves or something
    Show

The "pirate" treasure very usefully included a Manual of Bodily Health, and our good Gerd hit 7th level.

Spoiler: Excelsior!
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150

Serious question - under what circumstances is Turn Undead actually more useful than good old Stab Undead?