New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Solo Cavalier Run - Advice and Discussion Welcome!

Buy some protection from poison scrolls. And maybe a potion of sizable giant strength, for carrying wyvern parts.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Buy some protection from poison scrolls. And maybe a potion of sizable giant strength, for carrying wyvern parts.
    ...what am I going to do with wyvern parts?

3. - Top - End - #183

Quote Originally Posted by Lector87 View Post
    ...what am I going to do with wyvern parts?
    Sell them to the Morninglord in Beregost.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #184

Sell them to the Morninglord in Beregost.
    A wise man can hear profit in the wind.

5. - Top - End - #185

Cloakwood Lodge (AR2200) Cleared!

Spoiler: it was like the Witcher civil war thing all over again I hated both sides
    Show

So Mr. Aldeth did not make a favorable impression, and the dialogue option to side with the druids was hilarious - but the option to side with Aldeth at least suggested that the hero is trying to come to a peaceful resolution and sort things out, which fits the whole LG Paladin thing a lot better.

Too bad Druids are a no better than IRRATIONAL ANIMALS.

Spoiler: we could have settled this like CIVILIZED men but NO
    Show

See if I ever hug a tree again.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

I shall hug it with my SWORD!
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

7. - Top - End - #187

8. - Top - End - #188

Cloakwood Nest (AR2100) Cleared!

Spoiler: nightmare fuel
    Show

Spoiler: arachnaphobia
    Show

Cloakwood Druids (AR1600) Cleared!

Spoiler: stinkin hippies
    Show

Cloakwood Wyverns (AR1700) Cleared!

Spoiler: most of these things were dead before I even got here, honest!
    Show

Cloakwood Mines (AR1800) Cleared!

Spoiler: ALWAYS kill the mouthy ones
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

I love that conversation. Especially since I usually follow it up with a hasted berserker and his rodent.

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I love that conversation. Especially since I usually follow it up with a hasted berserker and his rodent.
    Butt-kicking for goodness!

Some of the NPC interactions in the Mine itself are golden.

11. - Top - End - #191

Cloakwood Nest (AR2100) Cleared!

Spoiler: nightmare fuel
    Show

Does anyone remember if she referenced Irenicus in the original version?

EDIT: Looked it up. Previously, it was Jon Icarus.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2017-09-20 at 09:20 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer

12. - Top - End - #192

Ahh, Irenicus. I think he must be my very favorite game villain. He makes Sarevok and Amelyssan look like cardboard cut-outs in comparison.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Um, have you died yet?

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteBlue View Post
    Um, have you died yet?
    Oh yes, 16 times. I'm keeping a running tally. It's definitely not a no-death run.

15. - Top - End - #195

So, a bit of an odd optimization question:

What build will make you 100% immune to the most things, permanently? I.E. through class abilities and equipment, how much can you be immune to, in a way that can't be dispelled?
    The Cranky Gamer

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

You can get Magic Immunity in the 80-100 range, depending on your class (anyone with UAI can do better).
    10% Ring of Gaxx
    10% Amulet
    10% Tear of Bhaal
    5% Machine of Lum the Mad
    30% Purifier or 10% Sword of Balduran or 5% Flail of the Ages +5
    10% Robe of Vecna
    20% Human Flesh Leather (AC 3, but gives +4 to all saves)

I run non-EE with some mods, and one of the mods (SCS? don't recall) adds a touch lich fight in the docks with the Cloak of Balduran (+25% magic resist).

Put that on a Barbarian and you can pair it with 20% resistance to physical damage, upped to 40% if you dual-wield the Defender of Easthaven flail. An evil Dwarf barbarian with the above items also ends up being able to save on a -8 against most things, making him pass throws on anything but a 1, even if hit with Doom & Greater Malison.
    As a solo character, he's still a bit lacking once you get into ToB.

A Thief/Mage can UAI to get hefty magic immunity, and then pair that with a Tear for immunity to +1 and lower weapons, and then put Protection from Energy and Protection from Magical Weapons to near-immunity to everything, but only for short periods of time. I am not certain if MR will protect against Dispel. Some type of Rage ability is still required to resist Maze and a few other MR:No effects.
    Last edited by J-H; 2017-09-20 at 11:23 PM.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

17. - Top - End - #197

Cloakwood Mines (AR1801, 1804, 1802, and 1803) Cleared!

Spoiler: well, that was a workout
    Show

Spoiler: you have the best conversations in this line of work
    Show

Spoiler: and it's on to chapter 5 and the Big BG!
    Show

Areas Cleared: 50
    Chapter Number: 5
    Character Level: 8
    Death Tally: 16
    Kill Count: 1114
    Most Powerful Vanquished: Greater Basilisk
    Last edited by Lector87; 2017-09-21 at 09:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

We don't need a reason we're here to kill you is probably my second favorite pre-fight quote of BG1.

19. - Top - End - #199

Minor note - I think I'll put the running status update at the bottom of the latest post whenever I've cleared an area or otherwise gotten past a major hurdle, rather than in the first post in the thread, unless anybody really prefers it the other way.

20. - Top - End - #200

Wyrm's Crossing (AR0900), Farmlands (AR0400), E Baldur's Gate (AR0800), and SE Baldur's Gate (AR1300) Cleared!

Spoiler: time to paint the town RED...with JUSTICE
    Show

Lady Gerd is currently scouring the Baldur's Gate Docks, which includes traipsing right up the stairs of the Iron Throne and doing battle with the false Emissary Tar, Aasim, Alai, Diyab, Naaman, Zhalimar Cloudwulfe and Gardush. They got her with a Hold spell on the first go around, so Gerd resorted to a potion of storm giant strength, a potion of speed, and running up and down the stairs to aggro 1 or 2 at a time. And she is now the proud owner of a huge tower full of terrified dupes and corpses. Oh, and THIS!

Spoiler: Thanks, Edventar!
    Show

And the ring still let's you use speed!

..uh, I mean, speed potions! POTIONS!

Don't do drugs kids.

Areas Cleared: 54
    Chapter Number: 5
    Character Level: 8
    Death Tally: 17
    Kill Count: 1146
    Most Powerful Vanquished: Greater Basilisk

21. - Top - End - #201

Along the way, Gerd heroically foiled a burglary!

Spoiler: some people have NO RESPECT for PRIVATE PROPERTY
    Show

And totally put a stop to, um, whatever was going on here!

Spoiler: some people just CAN'T HANDLE a CIVIL DISCUSSION of the NATURE of PROPERTY
    Show

Did I mention she bought half the potion stock at Sorcerous Sundries?

22. - Top - End - #202

So, I finished SoA, and started porting characters in, as one does at the beginning of ToB... and all the neat items I left them with are gone. My choices are either to go back before I killed Irenicus OR start the whole damn thing over.

Because I am a masochist, I am sincerely considering restarting at BG1... possibly importing my character from the end of BG1 in, just to walk through things.
    The Cranky Gamer

23. - Top - End - #203

So, I finished SoA, and started porting characters in, as one does at the beginning of ToB... and all the neat items I left them with are gone. My choices are either to go back before I killed Irenicus OR start the whole damn thing over.

Because I am a masochist, I am sincerely considering restarting at BG1... possibly importing my character from the end of BG1 in, just to walk through things.
    Ugh, I hate that.

I couldn't successfully migrate my Mass Effect file from 1 to 2, so I just shrugged and rolled a new character...and found out that if you don't bring in your character (and his/her decisions) from the first game, the second game plays out as if you made pretty much all the *worst* decisions. I get encouraging people to play the whole series, but that seemed a bit too punishing.

24. - Top - End - #204

Haven't had much time to play, what with the iron shortage and all, but Lady Gerd has finished exploring the Baldur's Gate Docks and SW Baldur's Gate (AR1200 and AR1100)

Spoiler: SO MANY DOPPELGANGERS
    Show

Areas Cleared: 56
    Last edited by Lector87; 2017-09-30 at 05:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205

Let it never be said that Lady Gerd is a mere bloodthirsty brute. She is also capable of HIGH CUNNING.

Spoiler: Batman-level mind games
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206

My gaming schedule has gone decidedly wobbly, and I don't have the time to go into a lot of detail, but the playthrough IS carrying on!

Lady Gerd explored a bit more of Baldur's Gate (including the sewers), returned to Candlekeep, was accused of murder, and escaped through the Catacombs.

Since it looks like the plot is drawing to its close, she's now headed off to Durlag's Tower, which she'll explore top to bottom before heading over to Ulgoth's Beard.

Surface and upper levels cleared:

Spoiler: effortlessly eliding over some really well-written lore
    Show

Looks like I've missed a way to get up on the tower roof. I'll go looking for it next time.

Predictably, my first death was to a trap, on level 1 of the labyrinth. Wasn't being careful to keep my health at max - I'll not make that mistake again!

DEATH TALLY: 18
    Last edited by Lector87; 2017-10-14 at 03:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Firbolg in the Playground

Enjoying the updates!

Oh yeah, I remember this. I played BG back in the day, before BG2 was out. I charmed her, talked to her, thought man, that's so cool.

But... turns out it wasn't really used in the sequel. I mean, Jon Irenicus has nothing to do with her that I recall.

Isn't Bodhi also mentioned?
    Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    You can get Magic Immunity in the 80-100 range, depending on your class (anyone with UAI can do better).
    10% Ring of Gaxx
    10% Amulet
    10% Tear of Bhaal
    5% Machine of Lum the Mad
    30% Purifier or 10% Sword of Balduran or 5% Flail of the Ages +5
    10% Robe of Vecna
    20% Human Flesh Leather (AC 3, but gives +4 to all saves)

I run non-EE with some mods, and one of the mods (SCS? don't recall) adds a touch lich fight in the docks with the Cloak of Balduran (+25% magic resist).

Put that on a Barbarian and you can pair it with 20% resistance to physical damage, upped to 40% if you dual-wield the Defender of Easthaven flail. An evil Dwarf barbarian with the above items also ends up being able to save on a -8 against most things, making him pass throws on anything but a 1, even if hit with Doom & Greater Malison.
    As a solo character, he's still a bit lacking once you get into ToB.

A Thief/Mage can UAI to get hefty magic immunity, and then pair that with a Tear for immunity to +1 and lower weapons, and then put Protection from Energy and Protection from Magical Weapons to near-immunity to everything, but only for short periods of time. I am not certain if MR will protect against Dispel. Some type of Rage ability is still required to resist Maze and a few other MR:No effects.
    Sweet.

This reminds me, I'm about to do my first playthrough of BGEE and was thinking of using mods. I modded the heck out of BGII, but never did the original with mods.

Any suggestions? Or should I not hijack the thread?
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Any suggestions? Or should I not hijack the thread?
    Hijack away! General discussion of the game and your own playthroughs are totally welcome.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hijack away! General discussion of the game and your own playthroughs are totally welcome.
    Haha, thanks!

Originally I was thinking to play unmodded, but make 4 of the characters. But then I saw a mod which lets you pick kits for the PC's. Highly tempting.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

30. - Top - End - #210
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm not following what happened. You finished Shadows of Amn with characters other than the ones you planned to use in Throne of Bhaal? Or you're soloing through both Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal but thought it would work to use NPCs as mules to carry equipment from SoA into ToB?