New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition

That's a game I have not heard of in a long time.

Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition

It's described as a limited edition, but $60 seems quite reasonable.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition

Hrrm. Well that's kinda cool.
    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Savage Worlds: Sky Blazers
    Star Wars Saga Edition: Heart of Corellia, Dawn of Shadows

Playing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pathfinder: Illoria

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Wonder if it's the 1st or revised edition.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Almost definitely 1st, since they're touting it as the 30th anniversary.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

wonder if any one from WEG gets anything from this....

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Duke View Post
    At a bet? FFG paid a bit for either the copyright or, more likely, the right to publish, so whoever owns the copyright saw a bit of a payday.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Duke View Post
    Highly unlikely. The standard licensing agreement is that the licensor - Lucasfilm - owns everything produced under the license, lock, stock and barrel.
    Most of the problems in this hobby derive from insecurity and immaturity.

Ream's First Law of Gaming: As a 90% approximation, all RPGs are D&D.
    Corollary to the First Law: Regardless of the setting, genre, or assumptions of any game that is not D&D, the first thing the fan base will do is try to play D&D with it.
    Ream's Second Law of Gaming: Balance is a canard, and points don't mean anything.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

i think they came out with a revised edition of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic as well. you guys should all play that, it was so great! i'm such a fan boy lol. Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR are my two video game loves.
    check out my D&D-inspired video game, not done yet but you can listen to the soundtrack if you're bored: https://www.facebook.com/TheCityofScales/

my game's soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-77807407...les-soundtrack

my website with homebrew and stuff on it: http://garm230.wixsite.com/scales

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Since D6 is an open source, free system now, and FFG has the current rights to produce Star Wars, WEG can't really cry foul... Lucas Film gets their cut, naturally, but in this case, I'm sure FFG get's the mine, and WEG get's the shaft.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Since D6 is an open source, free system now, and FFG has the current rights to produce Star Wars, WEG can't really cry foul... Lucas Film gets their cut, naturally, but in this case, I'm sure FFG get's the mine, and WEG get's the shaft.
    The book looks like a straight copy, not sure it would be entirely free-for-all for FFG.

I wonder if the rules are the original original that treat capital ship as untouchable, or if scale rules introduced later are in there.

Never was able to get a good look at it, FFG's sales area was limited access with a long line every time I walked by.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-08-20 at 04:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    The book looks like a straight copy, not sure it would be entirely free-for-all for FFG.

I wonder if the rules are the original original that treat capital ship as untouchable, or if scale rules introduced later are in there.

Never was able to get a good look at it, FFG's sales area was limited access with a long line every time I walked by.
    Well, WEG doesn't exist any more. If anybody got anything (besides Lucas Film and FFG) it would be Humanoids Inc. that bought WEG back in '01.

And it wasn't as if Captal Ships weren't untouchable, you just needed another Capital Ship to any noticable damage...something that your average PC wouldn't have laying around.
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2017-08-21 at 01:29 AM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'll reiterate: under standard RPG licensing deals, the licensor owns everything produced under license, including the copyrights. This isn't FFG producing a re-issue and then "giving Lucasfilm and/or WEG their cut", this is FFG asking Lucasfilm for permission to reprint something Lucasfilm already owns. I doubt WEG was even notified.

The only sticky part is the WEG marque on the front cover, since that's trademark law. I doubt Lucasfilm's lawyers just forgot about that, though.
    Most of the problems in this hobby derive from insecurity and immaturity.

Ream's First Law of Gaming: As a 90% approximation, all RPGs are D&D.
    Corollary to the First Law: Regardless of the setting, genre, or assumptions of any game that is not D&D, the first thing the fan base will do is try to play D&D with it.
    Ream's Second Law of Gaming: Balance is a canard, and points don't mean anything.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Well, WEG doesn't exist any more. If anybody got anything (besides Lucas Film and FFG) it would be Humanoids Inc. that bought WEG back in '01.
    It would be very interesting to see what sort of "original content" rights WEG retained if any, and if any such rights passed to Humanoids Inc.

And it wasn't as if Captal Ships weren't untouchable, you just needed another Capital Ship to any noticable damage...something that your average PC wouldn't have laying around.
    And thus they were untouchable in any sort of practical terms in the game.

It wasn't until a later revision in the system that fighter-scale weapons had any ability to damage capital-scale ships.

(And yet as early as ANH, we see the X-Wings and Y-Wings damaging installations on the Death Star... )
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

[QUOTE=Max_Killjoy;22312151And thus they were untouchable in any sort of practical terms in the game.

It wasn't until a later revision in the system that fighter-scale weapons had any ability to damage capital-scale ships.

(And yet as early as ANH, we see the X-Wings and Y-Wings damaging installations on the Death Star... )[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. The X-Wings were knocking out turrets and stuff, but over-all, the damage they were doing was superficial at best. They could have shot at the Death Star for a year straight and it wouldn't have noticed one bit...which is why they needed the Magic Space Wizard to shoot the McGuffin hole. Timeline wise, it wasn't until the Rebles built the B-Wing that they had a Star Fighter scale craft that could do any real damage to a capital ship. Give the PC's access to capital ships is silly any way...they don't have the crew for them, so why bother? Letting X-Wings be a threat to a Star Destroyer raises the question "Why didn't Han just blow the two Star Destroyers out of the sky at Tatooine, instead of running scared?"

- L. Long

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Yes and no. The X-Wings were knocking out turrets and stuff, but over-all, the damage they were doing was superficial at best. They could have shot at the Death Star for a year straight and it wouldn't have noticed one bit...which is why they needed the Magic Space Wizard to shoot the McGuffin hole. Timeline wise, it wasn't until the Rebles built the B-Wing that they had a Star Fighter scale craft that could do any real damage to a capital ship. Give the PC's access to capital ships is silly any way...they don't have the crew for them, so why bother? Letting X-Wings be a threat to a Star Destroyer raises the question "Why didn't Han just blow the two Star Destroyers out of the sky at Tatooine, instead of running scared?"
    We're not talking about all or nothing, just the chance for the smaller ship to do some damage.

Under the original system, the X-Wings and Y-Wings couldn't even scratch the towers, unless the towers were ruled to be "fighter scale on a capital scale target", and the B-Wing couldn't so a thing with its heaviest weapons to even the smallest capital ship.

It's still an idiot's gamble to engage a pair of massive capital ships with a single fighter-scale ship armed with a single rack of missiles.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    We're not talking about all or nothing, just the chance for the smaller ship to do some damage.

Under the original system, the X-Wings and Y-Wings couldn't even scratch the towers, unless the towers were ruled to be "fighter scale on a capital scale target", and the B-Wing couldn't so a thing with its heaviest weapons to even the smallest capital ship.

It's still an idiot's gamble to engage a pair of massive capital ships with a single fighter-scale ship armed with a single rack of missiles.
    Yeah. The damage scaling method they eventually came up with worked perfectly imo. A fighter could possibly get lucky and sneak some damage through a capital ship's shields with a proton torpedos or bomb. What else would a "torpedo" be for, other than trying to damage larger ships? A ship with it's shields down was more vulnerable to that sort of attack, allowing what we saw in RotJ to happen: we had two fighters unload torpedos on the executor's shield generator, which was enough to knock it out. Without shields the bridge was vulnerable to a desperate kamikaze attack. Fighters damaging capital ships.

PS- that's why capital ships have fighters in the first place- to screen for enemy fighters that otherwise could sneak past their turbo lasers.
    Last edited by Thrudd; 2017-08-22 at 11:09 AM.