New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: So my DM said that I can pick any printed artifact as a reward

Ask for the Apocalypse Stone. No gimmick, no fuss; it just appears with a *pop* in the palm of your hand.

...And then the fun begins.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Its an artifact now because its not something any pc can make or replicate.

And the size of the reread hardly matters, you cant get more than a single level each time, so getting 50k xp just means that a lot of the xp is wasted.
    Actually you go up 1 level and 1 xp from the next level.

Just pointing that out, because then it's theoretically 2 levels.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Actually you go up 1 level and 1 xp from the next level.

Just pointing that out, because then it's theoretically 2 levels.
    you can also save xp beyond leveling up for casting spells and (egh) magic item creation, so if nothing else you can, at level 18 as an erudite, pop 6 reality revisions, take your level and keep the change.

4. - Top - End - #34

SamuraiGuy

Since your character is Evil Erudite, check with your DM if the fact that you count as a Caster, and grab a copy of the Book of Vile Darkness, +1 Wisdom (meh), and +1 Level!

It doesn't have the long term benefits of many artifacts, but it's a permanent benefit that can never be taken from you.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

What about the Nether Scrolls? The Ring of Gaxx?
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    What about the Nether Scrolls? The Ring of Gaxx?
    Er, wishing for the Nether Scrolls might not be such a good idea- a certain Red Wizard had a very bad time with them.
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2017-08-17 at 11:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

7. - Top - End - #37

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Er, wishing for the Nether Scrolls might not be such a good idea- a certain Red Wizard had a very bad time with them.
    Yeah, but he deserved it. Our evil erudite here might be a perfectly pleasant person who just puts his needs first above others as opposed to actively undermining others and spitefully being a punk about it.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sagetim View Post
    Golem Armor would be pretty hilarious, as it's specific downside calls out mundane and magical effects, but not psionics. But even without being a pedantic little rules lawyer, it's +10 full plate that gives a +10 enhancement to strength and 50/+3 DR. Now, that woul probably update to 50/magic, but that's still some massive DR for anyone who is unworthy to hit you but gets lucky anyway. It's also loaded with immunities and you don't have a casting failure chance, because you are a manifester.
    It ended up being 15/adamantine:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magic...htm#golemArmor
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The Nether Scrolls are really nice. +30 inherent bonus to Spellcraft? Three item creation feats? Not all the benefits apply to erudites (such as the 75% XP cost reduction for item crafting), but some decidedly do.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

My vote is for one of the DnD Mecha like The Mighty Servant of Leuk-o.

Or maybe there is an epic version of the Skin of the Psion magic psychoactive skin item thing.

11. - Top - End - #41

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I mean, 15/adamantine is more useful than 50/magic, so that's not a terrible trade off. It's going to apply to more opponents (since many things strike as magic, or at high level have at least +1 gear on hand, but not as many can strike past adamantine).

Erudites can create psionic items, so that 75% cost reduction might well apply to them if the Nether Scrolls can be used by them. Now, I haven't read the text on them myself at this time, but depending on the wording and the DM interpretation (and magic-psionics transparency within the setting) they might be a super useful way to get crafting abilities without as onorous an xp cost. Oh, and couple it with the crafting feat from ebberon that lowers the xp cost by 25% and you may well have an xp reduction that cancels out the xp cost of crafting items entirely. Combine with Psychic Reformation to trade out some earlier feats if you feel the need to take most advantage of this opportunity, and become the one true mass producer of psionic items within your world.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sagetim View Post
    Erudites can create psionic items, so that 75% cost reduction might well apply to them if the Nether Scrolls can be used by them.
    Sadly, the text explicitly says the benefits of the Nether Scrolls only apply to your arcane casting class. I think that doesn't affect the Spellcraft bonus or the bonus feats (as skills and feats aren't class-specific, though it's arguable either way), but it does affect item crafting. If you're using your non-arcane caster/manifester class, you don't benefit from the XP cost reduction.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

13. - Top - End - #43

d20 Might I suggest…

THE BRINGER OF DOOM

Spoiler
    Show
    The Bringer of Doom
    So distant in the past is the Age of Doom that it cannot even be conceived of by mortals. This was a time of great lamenting, for the beings of that age had discovered magic and sciences too powerful to handle. Their passions overcame their sense and, in a wave of power, the race destroyed itself, leaving behind no remnant, save one.

The Bringer of Doom is a small box with a strange, circular red gem set in its lid. If the gem is touched and depressed, the box itself explodes in a blinding flash. So great is the force of the blast that everything within 100 feet (including the user and the item itself) is destroyed utterly.

The explosion opens a temporary one-way rift to the Gray Waste of Hades from which 100d10 horldings pour forth and destroy everything they encounter. Rarely (10% chance) some other, greater fiend comes through the rift as well. The Bring of Doom always reforms, to be discovered some time later.

One account of the Bringer comes from a scrap of parchment found in the Desert of Yin, near the blasted tower of the evil mage Althabazzerid:
    "We have set up magical circles of protection, but we don't know how long we can keep them up. I hope that my observations may be of help to my fellow researchers of the Mages' Guild of MakBran. The assault against the black tower went well, the elven archers easily destroying Althabazzerid's undead army while we dealt with his dragon allies. We had closed in and were in the midst of magical combat when Althabazzerid himself appeared on the tower's battlements, protected by a multicolored sphere of light. He raised a small box in his left hand, and perhaps pressed a button on it—hard to tell from our vantage point."

"At once there was a deafening blast, and the wizard and his tower were destroyed. A huge hole in space opened, and we could see into the dismal spaces of the Gray Wastes. A great crowd of horrid beings—a more fantastic mix of humans, beasts, and fiends cannot be imagined—began moving into our world. Some walked, some hopped, some dragged their deformed bodies along. They gibbered and screamed. Some spat fire, or gas, or acid. Some were horned, others bore tentacles. More and more came, destroying the elves by sheer press of numbers. They attacked without plan or strategy, yet their horrid deformations allowed them many advantages."

"Then a great fiend flew out from the darkened sky of the Gray Wastes. It has assaulted unceasingly since then. Soon our magics will fail, and we will die either at the hands of the fiend or the press of the horde of darkness…"
    — PLANESCAPE® Monstrous Compendium Appendix, p.55

Hordling (Hordes of Hades)
    Hordlings are the uncounted hordes of the Gray Wastes. They form the majority of the population of that plane. They vary widely in size and appearance. Some are large, some small; some humanoid, some animal-like, some amorphous; some have wings or tentacles. No two look exactly alike, and they have no standard means of communication.

Habitat/Society: There are an infinite number of hordlings on the infinite layers of the Abyss. They have no purpose or organization.

Hordlings are petty and vile. They roam the Gray Waste, attacking those weaker than themselves. They sometimes serve under strong leaders, but few leaders maintain hordlings for long, for they are unruly, untrustworthy, and chaotic.

Occasionally, evil mages summon hordlings to do their bidding. Normal summonings always produce a single hordling. The only known way to summon more than a single hordling into the Material Plane is the Bringer of Doom, a strange device created by arcane magic during the Age of Doom.

Ecology: Hordling's devour whatever they destroy, usually other hordlings. That there is otherwise no readily available food supply on the Lower Planes makes the endless, relatively weak hordlings common prey for more powerful beings.
    — PLANESCAPE® Monstrous Compendium Appendix, p.54

The Path of History
    The root cause of the animosity between the Suel Imperium and the Baklunish Empire is lost in time, but the end result of their final war haunts even the modern day. After decades of conflict, the Suloise Mages of Power called down the Invoked Devastation upon the Baklunish, resulting in an apocalypse so complete that its true form remains unknown. Entire cities and countless people were purged from Oerth, leaving few signs of the great civilization that thrived from the Sulhaut Mountains to the Dramidj Ocean.

In retaliation, a cadre of Baklunish wizard-clerics, gathered in the great protective stone circles known as Tovag Baragu, brought the Rain of Colorless Fire upon their hated enemies. The skies above the Suel Imperium opened, and all beings and things beneath this shining rift in the heavens were burned into ash. So terribly did these attacks plague the world that they have come to be called the Twin Cataclysms, a term understood by nearly every resident of the Flanaess. The Dry Steppes and Sea of Dust are geographical reminders of this unbridled magical power, now lost to all people—perhaps for the better.
    — LIVING GREYHAWK™ Gazetter, p.13

Room of Mercy
    "Who are you? Where are you? What are you? Why are you? Who am I? Where am I? What am I? Why am I?" The whispers repeat the same words endlessly, sometimes in the same archaic dialect, other times in Ancient Suloise. In the center of a room, levitating in mid-air, apparently untouched by dust, is a three-inch-square black cube, apparently made from malachite.

The cube is the prison for Zol Darklock, a Power of Shadow (NE male shade fighter 1/sorcerer 6/eldritch knight 10/shadow adept 4). If greater dispel magic is successfully cast against the cube (DC 34), then the entity will be released. Zol was a shadow prince who also lived for a time as a noble of the Suel Imperium. He was trying to investigate a rumor about Xodast, a Suel Mage of Power who experimented with powers that most said were better left undisturbed. Xodast, it was said, had created the Bringer of Doom, an artifact that later played some part in the Invoked Devastation that destroyed the Baklunish Empire (which would not occur for two centuries after Zol's imprisonment). Xodast imprisoned Zol in "The Darkness That Holds All Shadows" (the cube), which was found shortly after the Rain of Colorless Fire by a group of adventurers exploring the ruins of the Suel city Suendrako.
    — Castle Greyhawk, p.97

The Lost Laboratory
    This cairn, the convergence of the two great lines of force on which the other cairns were built, was used to research powerful and terrible new spells. The magical focus was so strong in this place that not only were all spells cast here hard to resist, but magic charged the very minds of wizards who stayed here, allowing them to cast more spells than they were normally able. There were no locks on any of the doors—the servants were all charmed slaves and the wizards saw no need to set up any sort of security other than the capstone on the top level.

Two of the most powerful wizards involved in this project were researching ways to recreate the Twin Cataclysms that destroyed the Suel and Bakluni empires; their hope was to find a more controlled way of decimating a large number of opponents. One, a woman named Alatla Minah, explored the invocation of pure elemental matter, thinking to emulate the Rain of Colorless Fire. The other, a man known as The Longsword for his unusual ability to fight with that weapon, studied the means to open a gate to the lower planes and unleash a fiendish horde, inspired by a similar event which occurred during the Invoked Devastation due to the mysterious Bringer of Doom. A third wizard, a quiet man called Titianus Cremul, worked on spells to hide and move entire armies. During a critical point in their research, the first two wizards tested their findings simultaneously, creating an overlapping effect that interacted with the coincidental crash of the meteor in the Abbor-Alz; the cairn and all of its inhabitants were pulled into a juncture between the Astral, Ethereal, and Material planes. The demon-summoning spell partly succeeded, trapping a glabrezu demon (or tanar'ri) within the cairn. The other inhabitants of the cairn have either been killed or changed due to their exposure to the other planes. The magical lights continue to function here, providing illumination for all of its strange residents. As the cairn is no longer above the Oerthly ley-line, the magical enhancement that made this place so valuable is no longer in effect; the two lines have altered a bit over time and no longer complement each other, making the actual site on Oerth nothing special.
    — The Star Cairns, p.38

Thus Spake Gary Gygax: Ye Secrets of Oerth Revealed
    Q: The Rain of Colorless Fire's effects are detailed by you in the 1983 World of Greyhawk boxed set and earlier folio:

"…in return for the terrible magical attack [the Invoked Devastation], the Suloise lands were inundated by a nearly invisible fiery rain which killed all creatures it struck, burned all living things, ignited the landscape with colorless flame, and burned the very hills themselves into ash."

The Invoked Devastation, on the other hand, is a little more vague — are its effects a massive, instantaneous disintegration? Or is it a rapid erosion, crumbling the Baklunish Empire in a sudden sweep of time — an unmaking of things? Are there ruins left behind? Dead bodies? What are the effects on the landscape?

A: Here we have it, a very sound guess, all of which are correct, as I envisioned the effect. A wave of something sweeps over the land. Buildings begin to crumble as if being powdered by an oerthquake, only the ground is not shaking. All living things within the area are sickened. Although some survive, most others are less fortunate. The wind is black and howling, and under its strange force the work of the hands of man decays as if time were running a thousand times faster for such non-living matter. Living things suffer increased aging, but not so severely. Trees grow suddenly, deplete their soil, and die. Animals age and die. Children become adults, but, lacking the nutrients for growth, die. A handful of the young adult folk escape as near- and middle-aged wrecks. The remains of the dead are visible for some period, but the habitations are naught but powder and dirt. It is a desolate place that only time will restore. In a score of years, though, the whole is covered by weeds and struggling plants, and slowly, as the bacteria and worms and insects make their way into the soil, the land becomes a wilderness that can support normal life again.
    — Oerth Journal #12, p.5
    Last edited by Âmesang; 2020-01-05 at 11:03 AM.
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for the help guys. I picked Borem's Quagheart from Faiths and Pantheons. Gives a +5 divine bonus to AC and saves, which stacks with almost everything I can find. Plus it's the heart of a dead god, so I can probably do some wacky stuff with it when we get into epic.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I picked Borem's Quagheart from Faiths and Pantheons. Gives a +5 divine bonus to AC and saves, which stacks with almost everything I can find. Plus it's the heart of a dead god, so I can probably do some wacky stuff with it when we get into epic.
    I mean... you got access to someone in the party with ice assassin? This may be a practical concern if your DM waves the spell component pouches stated ability and requires you actually get a piece of the thing you wish to turn into an ice slave.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    I mean... you got access to someone in the party with ice assassin? This may be a practical concern if your DM waves the spell component pouches stated ability and requires you actually get a piece of the thing you wish to turn into an ice slave.
    This idea is Genius, I would suggest this 100%. How to get a slave god 101.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    This idea is Genius, I would suggest this 100%. How to get as many slave gods as you want 101.
    Fixed that for you. Nothing stopping you from making copies of copies.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2