New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Ambidextrous Warriors: Dual-Wielding

Hey guys, so this is my second post and I was hoping to get some Suggestions or tips on how to make my build idea stronger or which would be better. I have 2 ideas for making a dual wielder and my first one is based on Damage dealing while the other is more Battlefield control.
    So for my first bit I want both builds to play as a V. Human and get the Dual Wielder Feat, then I also want to make a pure fighter, with the 2 weapon fighting style, Now onto weapon selections Im confused whether I should do 2 Long swords for the damage dealer, or if the 1 whip and 1 longsword will be better with the battlemaster archetype, that way my whip can control and disarm the battlefield. Please let me know your opinions and I appreciate any help guys.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ambidextrous Warriors: Dual-Wielding

Whip has it's place and can be useful (especially when trapped behind another person). However, if you are using it for disarming I don't think that it is all that great. My reasoning is that for a disarm to be most effective you need to be able to do something with the weapon afterwards (if you don't the just pick it up during their next turn as a free item interaction). So, the ideal situation would be you disarm the person and then kick the weapon away from the person who you just disarmed (or pick up the weapon and hurt them with it).
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

The only niche of two weapon fighting is having a wide variety of potential weapons. To take advantage of that, create a strength based fighter and don't get too attached to any one weapon. Strength also gives you a good athletics check, so you can push people prone by giving up one attack and you don't need to trip them. Creatures tend to have a lower athletics check than dexterity save.

For strict DPR, I recommend riposte with the Sentinel Feat. That creates a situation where enemies are taking a reaction attack from you almost no matter what they do. You might take defensive duelist too if you really want to cover your defenses. This would be the only thing you could do that a polearm master or great weapon fighter couldn't.
    Last edited by Easy_Lee; 2017-08-17 at 10:56 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Hi!

I already gave some extensive suggestions in other threads, so I'll be lazy and suggest you go take a peek at them (note: I linked to my own posts, but honestly you should read the whole threads for additional and concurrent opinions). ;)

As for a contextual advice for your build...
    Since you plan on getting Dual Wielder anyways (which is overall a good idea), I'd say actually don't bother with twisting your brain over grabbing two longswords for better damage or picking a whip for added reach.

Unless you wanted to keep a whip specifically to build a character upon getting opportunity attacks (in which case, indeed, it's the only get to get OA within 10 feet apart from Lance -which has its own shortcomings- as a TWF), OR you built a DEX character (so finesse biais and low carry), keeping a stack of throwable weapons is plain better.
    Especially with Dual Wielder which removes the small but annoying requirement of "wielding light weapons in both hands".

As a STR fighter, just keep a longsword in your main hand and a javelin in the other, most manoeuvers work whether you make a ranged or melee attack so disarm/trip will work perfectly fine with a javelin. Now you have an effective reach of 30 instead of 10 for your disarming tactic (along with slightly better damage). Only cornercase where this falls short would be a situation where you want to disable several enemies in a single turn (in which case having only one hand dedicated to thrown weapons may not be enough). Honestly it shouldn't be that common.
    In most situations this setup will serve you well. ;)

If you planned on building a DEX fighter instead, then keep the same tactic but using daggers instead (although it's just a reach increase here)... Or drop the TWF and instead use a hand crossbow in off-hand with Crossbow Expert. ;)
    Last edited by Citan; 2017-08-17 at 05:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    If you planned on building a DEX fighter instead, then keep the same tactic but using daggers instead (although it's just a reach increase here)... Or drop the TWF and instead use a hand crossbow in off-hand with Crossbow Expert. ;)
    I like this idea, would dual wielding hand crossbows be a viable option itself? And would archery help them?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

For damage, you definitely want to add dice damage to your attacks (Hex, Divine Favor, eyc.).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by pfctanman View Post
    I like this idea, would dual wielding hand crossbows be a viable option itself?
    Not really.

Crossbows do not trigger two weapon fighting.

To load a crossbow, you need a second hand.

The way to get the bonus attack with the hand crossbow is to use crossbow expert. You don't need two crossbows to do this though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Lee View Post
    The only niche of two weapon fighting is having a wide variety of potential weapons. To take advantage of that, create a strength based fighter and don't get too attached to any one weapon. Strength also gives you a good athletics check, so you can push people prone by giving up one attack and you don't need to trip them. Creatures tend to have a lower athletics check than dexterity save.

For strict DPR, I recommend riposte with the Sentinel Feat. That creates a situation where enemies are taking a reaction attack from you almost no matter what they do. You might take defensive duelist too if you really want to cover your defenses. This would be the only thing you could do that a polearm master or great weapon fighter couldn't.
    This is good advice.

Also, since you WILL SELECT resilient wisdom, you will have around a 13 or 14... no reason not to grab 3 levels of hunter ranger for hunters mark and horde breaker

I suggest a minimum of 14 dex for medium armor and as suggested a high strength

Or instead of ranger consider magic initiate for hex, no ability requirement there.

And with strength any weapon other than heavy in useable.