New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Enforcer for the Thieves Guild

I am creating a new character for a campaign coming up and I wanted to go a little unorthadox when it comes to rogues, I want to use a Variant Human and take the Grappler feat, and stick to rogue purely, that way I can put expertise in athletics and make sure I start with a 16 in Strength and just wield a rapier. That way when you go to attack you can grapple the enemy with your athletics and with your advantage (from Grappler Feat) You can make a single attack with as much sneak attack damage as is your level. I know he isnt going to be as optimized persay but I feel this is an interesting way to ensure Sneak Attack damage is put in. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this and thanks again.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Enforcer for the Thieves Guild

If you are going strength based, use a versatile weapon or a two hander. Splash a single level of fighter.

Nothing says unorthodox like sneak attacking with that greataxe...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by carrdrivesyou View Post
    If you are going strength based, use a versatile weapon or a two hander. Splash a single level of fighter.

Nothing says unorthodox like sneak attacking with that greataxe...
    Sneak Attack requires using a Ranged or Finesse weapon.

You don't have to use dex on the attack, but the weapon must be ranged or finesse.

As for the build, you can always fall back on being a standard rogue when your grapple routine doesn't work. One thing that you might find is that you're slow, since it will take you two actions (one to grapple, one to stab) to pull off your trick. Once you have them grappled you can keep stabbing each round, but that may rapidly become inefficient in a 4-round fight.

You will also have trouble against non-humanoid opponents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

I made a half orc strength enforcer rogue but had to multi class to fighter after the groups tank quit before the second play session. I used expertise on athletics and have been having fun using my superiority dice when I cant sneak attack.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I love the concept! You should probably get Medium Armor Master at some point for that sweet, sweet 20 AC with no magical items.

I am True Neutral

There is no great genius without some touch of madness
    -Seneca, Roman dramatist

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my campaign in a library in Candlekeep

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

My advice: go the STR way, expertise Athletics, but don't worry too much about grappling. Since you only have one attack, even if you succeed on it means you deal no damage, and on 90% of cases that's what you want.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by pfctanman View Post
    I am creating a new character for a campaign coming up and I wanted to go a little unorthadox when it comes to rogues, I want to use a Variant Human and take the Grappler feat, and stick to rogue purely, that way I can put expertise in athletics and make sure I start with a 16 in Strength and just wield a rapier. That way when you go to attack you can grapple the enemy with your athletics and with your advantage (from Grappler Feat) You can make a single attack with as much sneak attack damage as is your level. I know he isnt going to be as optimized persay but I feel this is an interesting way to ensure Sneak Attack damage is put in. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this and thanks again.
    Without some way to multi attack, or use a bonus action to grapple/shove/attack you ate going to have to spend an entire turn just trying to grapple, while it can be done as a straight rogue, it is much easier with a little multiclassing or at least a different feat.

Also grappling someone does nothing for your own defense. Yhey can attack you back when you try to grapple, and it really hurts your cunning action.

It can be done, but it is not super effective with a rogue

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why not do a Fighter with a level of Rogue? That should get you the feel you're going for (thieves Guild enforcer), and it'll allow you to grapple enemies without sacrificing too much damage.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I used a variant human thug in one of my games. Started as a fighter before going rogue, high strength, shortsword, athletics expertise, and shieldmaster for smacking fools prone before stabbing them to pieces.

It was pretty solid for the most part, he fell apart a little at range, but that was mostly due to not really having a proper ranged weapon outside of daggers. But he did have a portable ram, so no doorway was safe.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aldarin View Post
    I love the concept! You should probably get Medium Armor Master at some point for that sweet, sweet 20 AC with no magical items.
    That's what I did too. Great minds...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Would this be of help?
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Would this be of help?
    Cool. I'd play that.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

If you can pick the UA brawny feat then fighter will just be the best grappler due to all attacks. Rogue is obviously still fine though.