New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Why Durkula has changed clothes ?

I just noticed last times we saw Durkula , he wore robes rather than the usual armor .
    Any theories why ?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Why Durkula has changed clothes ?

It's a stealth mission and Durkon's armor is rather loud. Also, he doesn't need to pretend to be "Durkon with fangs and a new outlook anymore". Also, he may not have the same need for armor now that he is a vampire. Lots of reasons.

3. - Top - End - #3

Also, the armor inflicts a Dex penalty on certain checks, which may be important later.

Not to mention getting to be the first dwarf ever to rock those stylish 'Priest of Hel' robes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Also Roy put a large gash in his armor, probably not the most practical (or comfortable!)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

eek Re: Why Durkula has changed clothes ?

I think this is just Durkon's old priest robes with the color turned grey due to vamping.

The party pictured him wearing them back in 888 and since he was thrown out wearing them (see 1007) Nokrud must feel it is more... appropriate to be wearing them again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Didn't Elan say something about costume changes being visual cues for time passing and character development?
    Also, I like the fact that Durkons beard didn't heal. My personal headcanon is that its the one part of a dwarf that magic can't restore.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Also, I like the fact that Durkons beard didn't heal. My personal headcanon is that its the one part of a dwarf that magic can't restore.
    I think it's less to do with him being a dwarf and more to do with him being a vampire. One of the common visual cues for an older vampire is being completely hairless - the Giant may simply be going with the interpretation that they (like most undead) don't keep growing their hair post-mortem.

There are of course exceptions to this (e.g. Castlevania's Dracula usually has an impressive mop regardless of age.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe the shorter beard will be symbolic of Durkon's character development ?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I mean, take the 10th panel however you like.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.