New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Defenders question (no spoilers for it please)

I started watching the Defenders today, but I was hoping to get stuff that's spoiler-free for the Defenders show to clear up my blind spots in the other shows. In other words, spoilers please for Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist.

I've seen all of Jessica Jones and Iron Fist. I saw 2/3 of Luke Cage (up to him being wounded and starting to get back at Diamondback) and part of season 1 of Daredevil. Got bored with Luke Cage and just never had the time to catch up on Daredevil.
    I know Daredevil fought the Hand some, and I gather that Luke Cage ended up in prison at the end of Luke Cage, and that Foggy now works for Hogarth.

In short, I'm asking y'all to fill me in on any stuff from the shows I need to know to know what's up in the Defenders.

Specific question:
    is Murdock still doing his own, independent law firm, or is he working with/for somebody?
    who, beyond Ms. Page and Foggy and his confessor, know that Murdock is Daredevil?
    Anything I should know about Ms. Page other than a love interest of Murdock who is a reporter?
    Who is Stick? (I think I heard he was Daredevil's teacher.)
    What's the story with Daredevil and Electra? Did she die in the Daredevil show?
    Alexandra is a new character, right?
    Is Diamondback dead or in prison?
    Any revelations about Hogarth's level of evil (even if helpful to the heroes) near the end of Luke Cage or in Daredevil?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Defenders question (no spoilers for it please)

is Murdock still doing his own, independent law firm, or is he working with/for somebody?
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's on his own now. He had a falling out with Foggy, who went to go work with Hogarth. Murdock now just does probono cases by himself.

who, beyond Ms. Page and Foggy and his confessor, know that Murdock is Daredevil?
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's it, unless you want to count Stick and Electra, too.

Anything I should know about Ms. Page other than a love interest of Murdock who is a reporter?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originally she was rescued by Daredevil and became Murdock's secretary for awhile. That was before she became a reporter and learned Murdock's secret.

Who is Stick? (I think I heard he was Daredevil's teacher.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, he started training Murdock shortly after his accident (when he became blind). Stick is part of The Chaste, the enemy of the Hand.

What's the story with Daredevil and Electra? Did she die in the Daredevil show?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Electra was trained by Stick, like Murdock. She and Murdock fell in love, but they had alignment differences (Murdock wanted to find the 'good' in Electra, while she wanted to harden him.) In season 2 of Daredevil, she was killed by the Hand. Murdock buried her, but the Hand later dug her up to resurrect her. Electra is also, apparently, 'The Black Sky.' It's never really made clear what that means, other than she's dangerous, I guess. That's why the Hand wanted her.

Alexandra is a new character, right?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, she did not appear in any other MCU series.

Is Diamondback dead or in prison?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last he was seen, he was in prison, recuperating from his injuries. It was implied he was going to be put through the same program that created Luke Cage.

Any revelations about Hogarth's level of evil (even if helpful to the heroes) near the end of Luke Cage or in Daredevil?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hogarth only appeared in one episode of Daredevil, and that was hiring Foggy to come work for her after the Punisher trial. She did not appear in Luke Cage at all.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

A helpful summary

To specific questions:

Spoiler: is Murdock still doing his own, independent law firm, or is he working with/for somebody?
    Show
    Murdock is working on his own taking pro bono cases.
    Foggy works for the law firm of Jeri Hogarth.

Spoiler: who, beyond Ms. Page and Foggy and his confessor, know that Murdock is Daredevil?
    Show
    Stick and Elektra. Possibly his confessional priest.

Spoiler: Anything I should know about Ms. Page other than a love interest of Murdock who is a reporter?
    Show
    No.

Spoiler: Who is Stick? (I think I heard he was Daredevil's teacher.)
    Show
    Stick is a blind martial arts master who is a member of the Chaste, a group dedicated to opposing the Hand. He trained and raised Elektra and also trained Daredevil. Stick wants Daredevil to join the Chaste, but Murdock is not interested. Stick is fairly ruthless in pursuit of the Chaste's goals, having killed a child because it was a Hand human weapon.

Spoiler: What's the story with Daredevil and Electra? Did she die in the Daredevil show?
    Show
    Daredevil and Elektra dated for a time. She captured the criminal who killed his father as a gift to Daredevil, hoping he would kill the man. In reality, she was trying to unlock his dark and violent side on Stick's behalf, which was the reason she got romantically involved with him. She did actually develop feelings for him.

Elektra was killed in a fight with Hand ninjas and her corpse was exhumed by the Hand.

Spoiler: Alexandra is a new character, right?
    Show
    Completely new.

Spoiler: Is Diamondback dead or in prison?
    Show
    He's imprisoned and in the custody of the same doctor whose experiments gave Luke Cage superpowers. It's implied that he will be a beneficiary of the same process or a modified version thereof. The actor is not scheduled to appear in Defenders as far as we currently know and good riddance (to his character, Erik LeRay Harvey did nothing wrong).

Spoiler: Any revelations about Hogarth's level of evil (even if helpful to the heroes) near the end of Luke Cage or in Daredevil?
    Show
    She's not a nice person and her attempts to access Kilgrave's powers for her own ends led to a lot of indirect suffering. She is not, however, evil, merely amoral, selfish, and pragmatic.
    She has a very mild soft spot for Danny Rand, who she knew from his childhood when she was a low-level legal employee in his father's company.

There you go! Enjoy!
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2017-08-19 at 11:57 PM.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

I think kingpin, punisher an night nurse know who daredevil is too.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Thanks, y'all. That clears it up. Especially glad to know about Electra and Stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    I think kingpin, punisher an night nurse know who daredevil is too.
    I knew Claire helped Daredevil out, but I didn't recall if she knew his identity or not.
    Huh. Just realized that Daredevil, out of the four, is the only one to have a secret identity.