New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite OOTS Character Tournament: General Discussion

Here's everybody who was in the Tournament ranked by the ratio of votes they received against the total ballots in the contests they were in.

This makes Roy look great because he had an easy win in the first round, and a near loss in the second round prevented him from going on to face tougher competition.

Whereas Belkar, who lost the whole tournament by only one vote, is way down in 6th figured this way, because all of his matches were extremely close.

All of the top 6 received more votes for them than for their opponent over the course of their run in the tournament. Which to me says maybe there is something to learn from an extra round.

However, a full round robin of 6 competitors is 15 matches, and only 6 of those are already done, leaving 9 that would be required. Seven of which would feature Roy and/or Elan, which would get pretty repetitive.

I'm open to suggestions. Maybe the Swiss System would be the way to go? Please advise!

Round 1 Quarter finals Semi finals Finals All Sum
    Roy Greenhilt 26 / 39 , 66.7% 25 / 51 , 49.0% 51 / 90 , 56.7%
    O-Chul 24 / 35 , 68.6% 22 / 37 , 59.5% 33 / 67 , 49.3% 26 / 49 , 53.1% 105 / 188 , 55.9%
    Redcloak 29 / 36 , 80.6% 24 / 46 , 52.2% 34 / 67 , 50.7% 41 / 81 , 50.6% 128 / 230 , 55.7%
    Vaarsuvius 23 / 36 , 63.9% 24 / 32 , 75.0% 36 / 74 , 48.6% 23 / 49 , 46.9% 106 / 191 , 55.5%
    Elan 22 / 36 , 61.1% 22 / 46 , 47.8% 44 / 82 , 53.7%
    Belkar Bitterleaf 21 / 36 , 58.3% 26 / 51 , 51.0% 38 / 74 , 51.4% 40 / 81 , 49.4% 125 / 242 , 51.7%
    The Monster in the Darkness 21 / 39 , 53.8% 15 / 37 , 40.5% 36 / 76 , 47.4%
    Tarquin 18 / 39 , 46.2% 18 / 39 , 46.2%
    Durkon Thundershield 19 / 42 , 45.2% 19 / 42 , 45.2%
    Haley Starshine 23 / 42 , 54.8% 8 / 32 , 25.0% 31 / 74 , 41.9%
    Shojo 15 / 36 , 41.7% 15 / 36 , 41.7%
    Xykon 14 / 36 , 38.9% 14 / 36 , 38.9%
    Wrecan 13 / 36 , 36.1% 13 / 36 , 36.1%
    Blackwing 13 / 39 , 33.3% 13 / 39 , 33.3%
    Therkla 11 / 35 , 31.4% 11 / 35 , 31.4%
    Tsukiko 7 / 36 , 19.4% 7 / 36 , 19.4%
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The only thing that comes to me at this point is what my old drill sergeant used to tell me when I was running the track for PT: "Strive not to come in dead last."
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

If you ran a fresh Swiss System tournament for all 16, that'd take four rounds and eight matches per round, for a total of 32 matches....

But the top grouping in a Swiss System tournament is effectively the same as a single-elimination tournament, so you could use the current matchup results instead of running the top bracket, cutting out 15 matchups and the entire first round...so you'd be down to three rounds and 17 matches. Or possibly 16 matches, if you want to keep the O-suvian Incident and it comes up.

More importantly(?), a Swiss System would mean everyone has been in exactly four matches, making it a lot easier to do valid comparisons all around.

Alternatively, if you only ran one for the 8 quarter-finalists, that'd be three rounds and four matches per round, for 12 matches...minus the 7 if you recycle the current matchup results, for 5 matches across two rounds. And then everyone would have been in exactly three matches for comparison data.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #64

I like that last suggestion with one caveat: it requires picking 8 competitors worth further attention, and only the top 6 are obvious.

Roy and Elan were both knocked out in the quarterfinals in very close matches by competitors who then went all the way to the finals. I don't think we have enough information to call Roy #1 as average votes or average MoV would do. But it's clear that he and Elan still appear competitive.

But for 7 & 8, especially 8, it is less clear. Tarquin has a significantly better average margin stat than Haley. But if you were to incorporate Strength of Schedule, that would certainly help Haley. Enough to put her in the top 8? I'm not sure.

So, there are two possible routes to take, for which I hope someone can help with one of these two:

1. Is there a non-elimination tournament system along the lines of the Swiss System that has the flexibility to work with 6 competitors? Any suggestions?
    2. If not, I'd like to do a ranking that incorporates both MoV and SoS to determine who should be the 8 to include for the Swiss System tournament, such as an Elo-style ranking, or an SRS. But I have no experience with doing Power Rankings. Volunteers?

If anybody has ideas for a good non-elim tournament style that's less extensive than round robin, but doesn't have to have powers of 2 numbers of competitors like the Swiss System, we'll take that under consideration.

If we are going to do Swiss System, I definitely want to see a good Power Ranking to decide who should be in the top 8 and what seeding to use first. If somebody else can do that, that'd be really cool.

If nobody else has experience with Elo or SRS, I'll figure it out myself and move forward from there. It might take a couple days is all.
    Last edited by alwaysbebatman; 2017-09-28 at 03:30 PM.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbebatman View Post
    I like that last suggestion with one caveat: it requires picking 8 competitors worth further attention, and only the top 6 are obvious.
    Really? I kinda thought gauging the effectiveness of all 8 quarter-finalists would be the obvious choice, since you already ran some matches with them (and introducing competitors who hadn't competed in the quarter-finalists increases how many matches you'd need, which I thought you were trying to minimize).

Is there a non-elimination tournament system along the lines of the Swiss System that has the flexibility to work with 6 competitors?
    You can run Swiss System with six. You'd have to run at least one match between competitors in adjacent scoring groups, but that's not unusual.

If not, I'd like to do a ranking that incorporates both MoV and SoS to determine who should be the 8 to include for the Swiss System tournament, such as an Elo-style ranking, or an SRS. But I have no experience with doing Power Rankings. Volunteers?
    Well, most such rankings involve measuring prior history of competition...of which we have exceedingly little.

So I'm going to make up rating criteria instead
    • The number of points they got in the pre-tournament poll, reflecting their ability to draw approval on their own
    • The total number of votes they pulled in the tournament, reflecting their viability as a competitor in 1-on-1 matches and hinting at how far they got in the single-elimination tournament. (Notably, this excludes the O-suvian Incident, which occurred outside the single-elimination tournament, to avoid biasing results here)
    • The minimum number of votes the matches they were in pulled, reflecting my best estimate of how well they draw crowds to 1-on-1 matches.

Since these are widely different scales, I'll be averaging them using a geometric mean; and rounding to the nearest tenth.

Competitor Original Points Total Votes For Min Vote Matches Rating
    Redcloak 305 128 36 112.0
    Belkar 216 125 36 99.1
    Vaarsuvius 310 83 32 93.7
    O-Chul 284 79 35 92.3
    Roy 237 51 39 77.8
    MitD 213 36 37 65.7
    Elan 178 44 36 65.6
    Haley 165 31 32 54.7
    Durkon 146 19 42 48.8
    Tarquin 131 18 39 45.1
    Xykon 134 14 36 40.7
    Shojo 98 15 36 37.5
    Blackwing 64 13 39 31.9
    Therkla 41 11 35 25.1
    Tsukiko 8 7 36 12.6
    Wrecan 2 13 36 9.8
    (This is one of the fancy sortable tables; you can click on column headings to reorder the table)
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2017-09-28 at 05:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Really? I kinda thought gauging the effectiveness of all 8 quarter-finalists would be the obvious choice, since you already ran some matches with them (and introducing competitors who hadn't competed in the quarter-finalists increases how many matches you'd need, which I thought you were trying to minimize).

You can run Swiss System with six. You'd have to run at least one match between competitors in adjacent scoring groups, but that's not unusual.

Well, most such rankings involve measuring prior history of competition...of which we have exceedingly little.

So I'm going to make up rating criteria instead
    • The number of points they got in the pre-tournament poll, reflecting their ability to draw approval on their own
    • The total number of votes they pulled in the tournament, reflecting their viability as a competitor in 1-on-1 matches and hinting at how far they got in the single-elimination tournament. (Notably, this excludes the O-suvian Incident, which occurred outside the single-elimination tournament, to avoid biasing results here)
    • The minimum number of votes the matches they were in pulled, reflecting my best estimate of how well they draw crowds to 1-on-1 matches.

Since these are widely different scales, I'll be averaging them using a geometric mean; and rounding to the nearest tenth.

Competitor Original Points Total Votes For Min Vote Matches Rating
    Redcloak 305 128 36 112.0
    Belkar 216 125 36 99.1
    Vaarsuvius 310 83 32 93.7
    O-Chul 284 79 35 92.3
    Roy 237 51 39 77.8
    MitD 213 36 37 65.7
    Elan 178 44 36 65.6
    Haley 165 31 32 54.7
    Durkon 146 19 42 48.8
    Tarquin 131 18 39 45.1
    Xykon 134 14 36 40.7
    Shojo 98 15 36 37.5
    Blackwing 64 13 39 31.9
    Therkla 41 11 35 25.1
    Tsukiko 8 7 36 12.6
    Wrecan 2 13 36 9.8
    (This is one of the fancy sortable tables; you can click on column headings to reorder the table)
    Since this is a new tournament why wouldn't you rely on the current rankings from the original thread?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Since this is a new tournament why wouldn't you rely on the current rankings from the original thread?
    Is it a new tournament? I was under the impression alwaysbebatman wanted the effect of retroactively adding rounds to the just-ended tournament.

8. - Top - End - #68

Thank you, jasdoif, that's really cool. Interesting that with your ranking system the Monster overtakes Elan.

However, I think that before moving on, I'd like to see (or likely, create,) power rankings that takes into account Strength of Schedule, ie: how tough was the competition. That may really change our perspective on rankings and cutoffs.

The tough part with that is avoiding circular reference errors. I presume limits, matrix algebra, or iterative calculation could be used. But I need a few free hours to really sit down with it and work it out. I might have time tomorrow evening?
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

However, I think that before moving on, I'd like to see (or likely, create,) power rankings that takes into account Strength of Schedule, ie: how tough was the competition. That may really change our perspective on rankings and cutoffs.
    I kinda think getting the data to make that kind of comparison is the point of moving on.

I mean, here, we have a measure of the strength of the competition: How many votes total were gained by whoever performed the knockout, with a special case for Redcloak getting his own vote count since he wasn't knocked out:

Name Original Points Total
    Votes
    For
    Self
    Total
    Votes
    For
    Defeating
    Competitor
    Min
    Vote
    Matches
    Rating
    Redcloak 305 128 128 36 115.8
    Belkar 216 125 128 36 105.6
    Vaarsuvius 310 83 125 32 100.7
    O-Chul 284 79 128 35 100.1
    Roy 237 51 125 39 87.6
    Elan 178 44 128 36 77.5
    MitD 213 36 79 37 68.8
    Haley 165 31 83 32 60.7
    Shojo 98 15 125 36 50.7
    Durkon 146 19 31 42 43.6
    Tarquin 131 18 36 39 42.7
    Xykon 134 14 44 36 41.5
    Blackwing 64 13 51 39 35.9
    Therkla 41 11 79 35 33.4
    Tsukiko 8 7 128 36 22.5
    Wrecan 2 13 83 36 16.7

There's a little bit of shifting going on, but ultimately analyzing just one single-elimination tournament is supremely unlikely to veer from the results of that tournament: The champion, followed by the runner up, followed by the other semi-finalists, followed by the other quarter-finalists, followed by everyone else.

Getting more information about the non-winning competitors would make any strength estimations a lot more reliable...I mean, Tsukiko ran face-first into the champion (again); how much information is really there to glean? I thought you wanted ratings for that purpose, to help decide the exact matchups or seeding or something of the sort.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2017-09-28 at 09:11 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Okay, I've been fiddling around with different options for taking into account Strength of Schedule (taking Expected margin from actual margin, and averaging the differences, and adding that averages to the average margin for one. I also tried a similar thing with Votes For and Votes Against.)

What I've learned: different methods will scramble the order of the competitors in different ways. (Ranked by un-adjustes margin, Roy is 1st as seen above. Adjusting by Expected Margin puts Belkar in 1st, and adjusting by expected votes for and against puts Tournament winner Redcloak back at #1.)

But it what it doesn't do is change the sign: six characters have a positive margin, the others lose more than they win.

If we take the existing rounds as the majority of a smaller non-elimination tournament, it only makes sense to me to make this tournament between these six: Belkar, O-Chul, Redcloak, Vaarsuvius, Elan, and Roy.

And the exact order doesn't look like it matters as much as I had thought. The thing about the Swiss system, nobody is eliminated, so each competitor needs the same number of matches with one another. These six have already had 6 matches among one another. Both Belkar and Redcloak have already had three matches with others in this group, the others have had one or two.

If we were to do a big Swiss system tournament of four matches for each competitor, it would take 9 more matches. Maybe a bit much?

Doing 3 matches per would be a lot more manageable, only requiring three more matches. Only downside is: Belkar and Redcloak would already be done. I know some posters were hoping to see them take on the oponents that they missed in their tournament path.

If we go with the small 3-match Swiss tournament, there are only two possible configurations for the three matches: Elan v Roy, and either O-Chul v Elan and Vaarsuvius v Roy; or O-Chul v Roy and Vaarsuvius v Elan.

Let me know what you think.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I've been fiddling around with different options for taking into account Strength of Schedule (taking Expected margin from actual margin, and averaging the differences, and adding that averages to the average margin for one. I also tried a similar thing with Votes For and Votes Against.)

What I've learned: different methods will scramble the order of the competitors in different ways. (Ranked by un-adjustes margin, Roy is 1st as seen above. Adjusting by Expected Margin puts Belkar in 1st, and adjusting by expected votes for and against puts Tournament winner Redcloak back at #1.)

But it what it doesn't do is change the sign: six characters have a positive margin, the others lose more than they win.

If we take the existing rounds as the majority of a smaller non-elimination tournament, it only makes sense to me to make this tournament between these six: Belkar, O-Chul, Redcloak, Vaarsuvius, Elan, and Roy.
    So your criterion is "competed against a finalist". Okay.

If we were to do a big Swiss system tournament of four matches for each competitor, it would take 9 more matches. Maybe a bit much?

Doing 3 matches per would be a lot more manageable, only requiring three more matches. Only downside is: Belkar and Redcloak would already be done. I know some posters were hoping to see them take on the oponents that they missed in their tournament path.
    With six (or eight) competitors in a Swiss system tournament, you'd end up with a decisive single winner after three rounds anyway.

12. - Top - End - #72

The thing is, swiss system scoring is designed for chess, where there is no score, just win lose or draw.

Here, every character has votes for, votes against, margin, etc.

Based on Swiss System, we already have a decisive winner: Redcloak has three wins, everyone else has at least one loss.

Maybe it doesn't make sense to move forward with more contests without at least giving Redcloak a new challenge. (Maybe Belkar also.)

Here's a proposal: not exactly the Swiss system, sort of an unwieldy hybrid. But the advantage: we'd get new information about who is preferred head-to-head in pairings that people have expressed interest in, and we wouldn't be running anticlimactic bouts with the champion already determined and benched.

Do one round with Elan v Vaarsuvius and Roy v O-Chul, then a second round with Belkar v O-Chul, Redcloak v Vaarsuvius and Roy v Elan.

The top 4 would end with 4 matches and the other 2 would have 3 matches. It would be a ways from a full round robin but the most relevant matches would happen...
    Last edited by alwaysbebatman; 2017-09-29 at 03:26 PM.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a proposal: not exactly the Swiss system, sort of an unwieldy hybrid. But the advantage: we'd get new information about who is preferred head-to-head in pairings that people have expressed interest in, and we wouldn't be running anticlimactic bouts with the champion already determined and benched.

Do one round with Elan v Vaarsuvius and Roy v O-Chul, then a second round with Belkar v O-Chul, Redcloak v Vaarsuvius and Roy v Elan.

The top 4 would end with 4 matches and the other 2 would have 3 matches. It would be a ways from a full round robin but the most relevant matches would happen...
    So with your intention that the champion is not already determined and benched, and Vaarsuvius being the only one given a matchup against the champion....I couldn't fault StreamOfTheSky for seeing favoritism on your part.

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    So with your intention that the champion is not already determined and benched, and Vaarsuvius being the only one given a matchup against the champion....I couldn't fault StreamOfTheSky for seeing favoritism on your part.
    Ha! But on the other hand, V is the only one among the six who already has two losses. V fans may look at that as a final chance at redemption, but 2-2 is the best record V could possibly end with.

Hm. Then again, I can definitely see the argument for also running Redcloak v Roy and Belkar v Elan. Then the original tournament finalists would end with 5 matches and all the rest would end with 4 apiece.

ETA: I am spacey, I just realized that what I just proposed would only be two matches short of a full round robin! if we were going that far we may as well finish it!
    Last edited by alwaysbebatman; 2017-09-29 at 05:29 PM.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

15. - Top - End - #75

Here's a proposed schedule for a Round Robin tournament of the six most competitive characters, the six who had more votes cast for them than for their opponents.

Round Open Voting Declare Winner Matchups WINNER Votes for Winner Votes for Opponent Margin
    Quarter 2-Sep 9-Sep Redcloak v Elan REDCLOAK 24 22 2
    Quarter 5-Sep 12-Sep Belkar v Roy BELKAR 26 25 1
    Semi 9-Sep 16-Sep Redcloak v O-Chul REDCLOAK 34 33 1
    Semi 12-Sep 19-Sep Belkar v Vaarsuvius BELKAR 38 36 2
    Final 19-Sep 26-Sep Redcloak v Belkar REDCLOAK 41 40 1
    Bronze 20-Sep 26-Sep O-Chul v Vaarsuvius O-CHUL 26 23 3
    RR1 30-Sep 7-Oct O-Chul v Roy 0
    RR1 30-Sep 7-Oct Vaarsuvius v Elan 0
    RR2 3-Oct 10-Oct Redcloak v Roy 0
    RR2 3-Oct 10-Oct Belkar v Elan 0
    RR3 7-Oct 14-Oct Roy v Elan 0
    RR3 7-Oct 14-Oct Belkar v O-Chul 0
    RR3 7-Oct 14-Oct Redcloak v Vaarsuvius 0
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

16. - Top - End - #76

BlueWizardGirl

Aren't you missing a set of matchups? The table doesn't show O-Chul vs Elan, or V vs Roy.

Also, neat that the top characters form an X on the alignment chart: we have Lawful Evil, Chaotic Evil, True Neutral, Chaotic Good, and 2 Lawful Good.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2017-09-29 at 07:53 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

I have no idea how I missed that, thank you for the correction.

Nine more matches is too much, right?

Hm.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Nine more matches is too much, right?
    I don't see why. More specifically, I don't see why running three rounds of three concurrent matches would be notably more "much" than two rounds of two followed by one run of three. You'd be running three rounds either way....

19. - Top - End - #79

I don't like the idea of starting the same player in two matches at once. Seems both confusing and like over saturation.

However, if interest is there for a Round Robin, I'm willing to do it. If people don't feel like this whole thing is totally overkill, then a few more days added to the schedule to throw on one more wave of two matches is no big deal.

If it turns out that interest has faded now that the single elimination tournament is complete, we can reconsider.

Here is a corrected Round Robin table:

Round Open Voting Declare Winner Matchups WINNER Votes for Winner Votes for Opponent Margin
    Quarter 2-Sep 9-Sep Redcloak v Elan REDCLOAK 24 22 2
    Quarter 5-Sep 12-Sep Belkar v Roy BELKAR 26 25 1
    Semi 9-Sep 16-Sep Redcloak v O-Chul REDCLOAK 34 33 1
    Semi 12-Sep 19-Sep Belkar v Vaarsuvius BELKAR 38 36 2
    Final 19-Sep 26-Sep Redcloak v Belkar REDCLOAK 41 40 1
    Bronze 20-Sep 26-Sep O-Chul v Vaarsuvius O-CHUL 26 23 3
    RR1 30-Sep 7-Oct O-Chul v Elan 0
    RR1 30-Sep 7-Oct Vaarsuvius v Roy 0
    RR2 3-Oct 10-Oct Redcloak v Roy 0
    RR2 3-Oct 10-Oct Belkar v Elan 0
    RR3 7-Oct 14-Oct O-Chul v Roy 0
    RR3 7-Oct 14-Oct Vaarsuvius v Elan 0
    RR4 10-Oct 17-Oct Roy v Elan 0
    RR4 10-Oct 17-Oct Belkar v O-Chul 0
    RR4 10-Oct 17-Oct Redcloak v Vaarsuvius 0
    Last edited by alwaysbebatman; 2017-09-30 at 04:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

BlueWizardGirl

I'd put the last three matches of RR3 into an RR4. It's only one more round.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2017-09-30 at 04:36 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Oh, I agree completely. I had them starting after, just forgot to change the round acronym in that column. Corrected now, thank you for pointing out the error!
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.