New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal thread IX: Metal To The Pedal To The Other Metal

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    So is it just me who didnt' realize how big that band is? Way bigger than I ever expected... playing some pretty impressive venues in america

also v hype on new gloryhammer
    Yeah they're a pretty big deal (also one of the only bands who seem to collab with other, non-metal artists), but then these symphonic bands always have fans who are way more over the top than normal, don't they.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Yeah they're a pretty big deal (also one of the only bands who seem to collab with other, non-metal artists), but then these symphonic bands always have fans who are way more over the top than normal, don't they.
    I think its because they like the fantasy of the metal undergroudn but haven't really been shown a way to access it beyond symphonic metal. Symphonic metal operates so seperate from the rest of the metal-verse that it's kind of hard to navigate. I do think about this a lot though with Prophecy - I'd love to win over some of those fans into some of our more bombastic and accessible acts.
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think its because they like the fantasy of the metal undergroudn but haven't really been shown a way to access it beyond symphonic metal. Symphonic metal operates so seperate from the rest of the metal-verse that it's kind of hard to navigate. I do think about this a lot though with Prophecy - I'd love to win over some of those fans into some of our more bombastic and accessible acts.
    maybe dip into the fans of blind guardian or symphony x? as those are both very heavy and still epic
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
    maybe dip into the fans of blind guardian or symphony x? as those are both very heavy and still epic
    That's sort of the plan. It's interesting to me how many people love heavy guitar but hate dirty vocals. Folks need to git gud
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Firbolg in the Playground

By the way, the new Avantasia album will be out on the 15th.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

That's sort of the plan. It's interesting to me how many people love heavy guitar but hate dirty vocals. Folks need to git gud
    ....I feel called out.

Seriously though, my favorites are a blend of clean and dirty vocals, and if I had to specify, maybe about a 70:30 ratio clean to dirty (and there are exceptions, of course, there are no bad genres of music except crunkcore).

Speaking of, I'm going to see Thou on 4/1, I assume you folks are all over them, but they're new on me. Touring with Emma Ruth Rundle (who I'll confess is the reason I'm going). Also, in honor of his North American Era 1 tour (which I am unfortunately not going to be able to see), Mortiis has a ton of stuff for free download on bandcamp. The free ones start at The Song of a Long Forgotten Ghost and go down from there. Much of the Era 1 stuff (though sadly not Crypt of the Wizard, which is a favorite of mine), lots of Vond (download SELVMORD now!) and Fata Morgana. Not the one Era 2 record (Smell of Rain, recommended if you're into synthpop/futurepop), but the Era 3 metal albums, plus the remixes. And if you're there, and you like the Era 1 dungeon synth stuff, spend a couple bucks and grab The Unravelling Mind (a lost film score he did in 2006) and dear god is it amazing!
    https://downloadmusic.mortiis.com/music

And less metal, my new EP is out https://doorsinthelabyrinth.bandcamp.com/album/restless Bits of darkwave, bits of postpunk, bits of ambient, kinda all over the place but (I think) flows pretty well as a solid piece.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yeah, tell me about it. I want to play at Keep it True, which is the best festival I've been to. But, being not the greatest of singers, I do about half of the vocals in a more growling style. And therefore we aren't "old school" enough, even though even Manilla Road has used that style of vocals.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Speaking of, I'm going to see Thou on 4/1, I assume you folks are all over them, but they're new on me. Touring with Emma Ruth Rundle (who I'll confess is the reason I'm going). Also, in honor of his North American Era 1 tour (which I am unfortunately not going to be able to see), Mortiis has a ton of stuff for free download on bandcamp. The free ones start at The Song of a Long Forgotten Ghost and go down from there. Much of the Era 1 stuff (though sadly not Crypt of the Wizard, which is a favorite of mine), lots of Vond (download SELVMORD now!) and Fata Morgana. Not the one Era 2 record (Smell of Rain, recommended if you're into synthpop/futurepop), but the Era 3 metal albums, plus the remixes. And if you're there, and you like the Era 1 dungeon synth stuff, spend a couple bucks and grab The Unravelling Mind (a lost film score he did in 2006) and dear god is it amazing!
    https://downloadmusic.mortiis.com/music
    Big fan of Emma Ruth Rundle... I'm jealous.

Also I'm totally checking out that Mortiis stuff - except I'm sure I already own most of it Smell of Rain is a firm favourite of mine.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    And less metal, my new EP is out https://doorsinthelabyrinth.bandcamp.com/album/restless Bits of darkwave, bits of postpunk, bits of ambient, kinda all over the place but (I think) flows pretty well as a solid piece.
    Sounds very good. I like it

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Also I'm totally checking out that Mortiis stuff - except I'm sure I already own most of it Smell of Rain is a firm favourite of mine.
    I have been spending a wholly inappropriate amount of time with these records latelyy
    My Metal Blog

11. - Top - End - #281

I'm listening to Isis (Oceanic and Panopticon), I like them. I don't think I have ever listened to post-metal before.

In power metal news, there is a new Rhapsody of Fire album out today. Also, I have been listening to Thornbridge (Theatrical Masterpiece).
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I'm listening to Isis (Oceanic and Panopticon), I like them. I don't think I have ever listened to post-metal before.

In power metal news, there is a new Rhapsody of Fire album out today. Also, I have been listening to Thornbridge (Theatrical Masterpiece).
    I find borh the Rhapsody of Fire and Luca Turillis Rhapsody to be a bit disappointing. Hoping that Turilli / Lione Rhapsody turns out better

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

I find borh the Rhapsody of Fire and Luca Turillis Rhapsody to be a bit disappointing. Hoping that Turilli / Lione Rhapsody turns out better
    How many versions of Rhapsody are there now??
    My Metal Blog

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

How many versions of Rhapsody are there now??
    well, the history goes like this:
    1. Original Rhapsody (guitarist is main composer and lyricist, keyboard player secondary composer and orchestral arranger)
    2. Changed to Rhapsody of Fire because of legal dispute with some online music store or something
    3. won the legal dispute, went back to Rhapsody
    4. split up into Luca Turillis Rhapsody (with the guitar player) and Rhapsody of Fire (With the original singer and keyboard player)
    5. Rhapsody reunion with everyone except the keyboard player to celebrate 20 aniversary
    6. Rhapsody (without keyboard player) decided to record new songs under the name Turilli / Lione Rhapsody, disbanding Luca Turillis Rhapsody. Rhapsody of Fire continued with the keyboard player as only original member

(yeah, I was a big fan when I was younger)

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

well, the history goes like this:
    1. Original Rhapsody (guitarist is main composer and lyricist, keyboard player secondary composer and orchestral arranger)
    2. Changed to Rhapsody of Fire because of legal dispute with some online music store or something
    3. won the legal dispute, went back to Rhapsody
    4. split up into Luca Turillis Rhapsody (with the guitar player) and Rhapsody of Fire (With the original singer and keyboard player)
    5. Rhapsody reunion with everyone except the keyboard player to celebrate 20 aniversary
    6. Rhapsody (without keyboard player) decided to record new songs under the name Turilli / Lione Rhapsody, disbanding Luca Turillis Rhapsody. Rhapsody of Fire continued with the keyboard player as only original member

(yeah, I was a big fan when I was younger)
    ...is...is the keyboardist that important?
    My Metal Blog

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

...is...is the keyboardist that important?
    he's a co-funding member, together with the guitar player. so he had half of the rights to the original band. it doesn't help that the guitar player actually trained classical piano before guitar, and wants to do the studio keyboards himself (not when they had a keyboard player, just on his other projects)

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Guys - I don't know if everyone has been sleeping on this as I have, but Soen's new album is utterly amazing. I stumbled across it by accident and now I can't get enough. This is properly impressive prog.

18. - Top - End - #288

Guys - I don't know if everyone has been sleeping on this as I have, but Soen's new album is utterly amazing. I stumbled across it by accident and now I can't get enough. This is properly impressive prog.
    Yup, I have been listening to it during the last few days. It's really good.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup, I have been listening to it during the last few days. It's really good.
    Not gonna lie - I don't get that band. Is this enough of a step up for me to give them another shot?
    My Metal Blog

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Not gonna lie - I don't get that band. Is this enough of a step up for me to give them another shot?
    Hmm... it's fairly similar to their previous album - you know, the broken rhythms and the same vocals and whatnot - but I'd say it's better in just about every way. It's the same type of modern prog like Need or Junius or Caligula's Horse, so if that's not your thing then fair enough.

I'd say, check out the first half of this song and it should give you an idea for the whole album.

21. - Top - End - #291

Isis were amazing. Oceanic in particular was one of the albums that got me listening to more metal.

Hmm... it's fairly similar to their previous album - you know, the broken rhythms and the same vocals and whatnot - but I'd say it's better in just about every way. It's the same type of modern prog like Need or Junius or Caligula's Horse, so if that's not your thing then fair enough.

I'd say, check out the first half of this song and it should give you an idea for the whole album.
    This hits me where I live. I think I'll need to give the full album a listen!

22. - Top - End - #292

So I listened to the Soen album. When it's good, it's great. But most of the album felt kinda forgettable. Not bad, but felt like it wasn't living up to the potential. Picked another on Spotify, and Tellurian was much better! Dug it, and I'll check out more, but I felt the new one could be better.

On a prog note, I saw Jon Anderson on Sunday, and he's still amazing. Mix of his new solo album and Yes stuff (with a Jon & Vangelis song thrown in!!!!), ended the set with Starship Trooper, which is a fantastic ending.

23. - Top - End - #293

By the way, having listened to Avantasia's Moonglow for a couple of months, I think it's a great album, if you are into the genre.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

By the way, having listened to Avantasia's Moonglow for a couple of months, I think it's a great album, if you are into the genre.
    I get the impression that Avantasia tries to be something inbetween Ayreon and Magnum. You should check them out

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

meh

the new False tho...
    My Metal Blog

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

So the new Myrath album is out, and it's actually really pretty good. Not a lot of Middle-Eastern flavoured metal out there, and they're doing it really well. It's not super heavy, but great melodies.

Also, if anyone else follows them, the new Rodrigo y Gabriela album has also been released. Love these guys. Their guitarwork is without peer.

Also I've been listening to the new Devin Townsend for the past couple of days. It really is excellent. Don't care too much for the weirder bits (I'm pretty sure there's like, cat noises or something in the background at some point) but the actually music is as good at always.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2019-05-15 at 04:22 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297

I get the impression that Avantasia tries to be something inbetween Ayreon and Magnum. You should check them out
    Thank you for the advice, I do like Ayreon, so I'll have to try out Magnum.

Today is a power metal day. Paladin released Ascension, and Pythia released The Solace of Ancient Earth. I had fun listening to both of them. And a few weeks ago Qantice released The Anastoria, also nice to listen to.

The first impression is that Ascension is really good.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you for the advice, I do like Ayreon, so I'll have to try out Magnum.

Today is a power metal day. Paladin released Ascension, and Pythia released The Solace of Ancient Earth. I had fun listening to both of them. And a few weeks ago Qantice released The Anastoria, also nice to listen to.

The first impression is that Ascension is really good.
    Pythia is still around? Good for them!

So uh - anyone see the Prophecy Fest lineup? I'm putting it on. Y'all should come.

Spoiler
    Show

Also: Is this the slowest thread ever or what?
    My Metal Blog

29. - Top - End - #299

Also: Is this the slowest thread ever or what?
    I think it might be... Sadly I think I'm the lone BDM fan in the thread so I resist the temptation to just post 'hey, what about those sweet $LAM$, right guys?' every time I peek in on y'all talking about power metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    I think it might be... Sadly I think I'm the lone BDM fan in the thread so I resist the temptation to just post 'hey, what about those sweet $LAM$, right guys?' every time I peek in on y'all talking about power metal.
    I like slam!
    One of my best friends from my late teen years is in waking the cadaver now which is... strange
    My Metal Blog