New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Metal thread IX: Metal To The Pedal To The Other Metal

So SubRosa were of course fantastic. Weird sonic choices though; everything was running through bass amps, including the violin. So the amp's sweet spot is in frequencies the instrument is not physically capable of producing. Given how they use it in the arrangement, it seems like maybe not the best amp choice. On the other hand, the guitar was played entirely with the bridge pickup, and cleaner tones still sounded muffled due to the bass amp, but the distortion still cut through on the heavier bits. So she got the crisp articulation of the bridge pickup, while still getting a more muted tone. I'd have done that with the tone knob, and maybe she did too (it's tough to tone trainspot with unlabeled knobs), but lots of players don't like messing with the knobs while they play.

If I loved SubRosa, I was blown away by Wovenhand. A friend described them as between Nick Cave and Swans. Add in Fields of the Nephilim and I 100% agree. SubRosa were intense, but Wovenhand were downright scary! A bit more sonically diverse too (which I always love). I cannot recommend them enough!

That's about it for metal shows in the near future (next big show for me is Slowdive). A friend of mine is throwing a day-long 17 band fest next weekend, but not sure if I'm going to be up for that.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

It seems I'm going to join Whoracle in the "disappointed by the promoter"-club.
    Our promoter has not been able to provide the names of the clubs, only the cities and dates. Then we discovered that another band that had a contract with him had to cancel their tour because the clubs he said he had booked did not have an agreement with him after all.
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
    It seems I'm going to join Whoracle in the "disappointed by the promoter"-club.
    Our promoter has not been able to provide the names of the clubs, only the cities and dates. Then we discovered that another band that had a contract with him had to cancel their tour because the clubs he said he had booked did not have an agreement with him after all.
    Man, that sucks. I had hoped that our craphat was a fluke...

Regarding the "booked" clubs: Sometimes the clubs simply don't have a clue. Instead of asking "Hey, do we play at $DATE?", as "Do we play or has someone else booked the venue for that date?". Sometimes there's a third person involved.

While the booker might still be able to run the tour, if it isn't at least 3 months from now, I'd rather cancel. Even if the guy manages to book clubs 3 weeks before the tour starts, t he promotion ship has sailed and almost no one will come, I'm afraid.

In more cheerful news: Songwriting has started for the next album. If anyone is willing to give early (like, REAL early) input, they're welcome: https://cloud.frozeninfinity.org/s/UNeSvj18vJhQhgy

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
    Man, that sucks. I had hoped that our craphat was a fluke...

Regarding the "booked" clubs: Sometimes the clubs simply don't have a clue. Instead of asking "Hey, do we play at $DATE?", as "Do we play or has someone else booked the venue for that date?". Sometimes there's a third person involved.
    That's why we want a contract with each venue

While the booker might still be able to run the tour, if it isn't at least 3 months from now, I'd rather cancel. Even if the guy manages to book clubs 3 weeks before the tour starts, t he promotion ship has sailed and almost no one will come, I'm afraid.
    It's in April. Still, I don't think he will be able to get things in place in reasonable time. We're looking in stead of doing some shows in Autumn 2018, just finding local bands that can set up a gig and try to play with them

In more cheerful news: Songwriting has started for the next album. If anyone is willing to give early (like, REAL early) input, they're welcome: https://cloud.frozeninfinity.org/s/UNeSvj18vJhQhgy
    I'll give it a listen this evening and will get back to you on that

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    So SubRosa were of course fantastic. Weird sonic choices though; everything was running through bass amps, including the violin. So the amp's sweet spot is in frequencies the instrument is not physically capable of producing. Given how they use it in the arrangement, it seems like maybe not the best amp choice. On the other hand, the guitar was played entirely with the bridge pickup, and cleaner tones still sounded muffled due to the bass amp, but the distortion still cut through on the heavier bits. So she got the crisp articulation of the bridge pickup, while still getting a more muted tone. I'd have done that with the tone knob, and maybe she did too (it's tough to tone trainspot with unlabeled knobs), but lots of players don't like messing with the knobs while they play.

If I loved SubRosa, I was blown away by Wovenhand. A friend described them as between Nick Cave and Swans. Add in Fields of the Nephilim and I 100% agree. SubRosa were intense, but Wovenhand were downright scary! A bit more sonically diverse too (which I always love). I cannot recommend them enough!
    *Pushes up glasses*
    So first off - fun fact - Subrosa stayed at my moms the night before that show you went to! Otherwise - I get where you are coming from with this - this was a different lineup than usual (Other violinist Kim is pregnant and new bassist) but that being said - I thought this was a cool interpretation of their work.

I'm glad you dug Wovenhand - can't say I'm a huge fan!
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    *Pushes up glasses*
    So first off - fun fact - Subrosa stayed at my moms the night before that show you went to! Otherwise - I get where you are coming from with this - this was a different lineup than usual (Other violinist Kim is pregnant and new bassist) but that being said - I thought this was a cool interpretation of their work.

I'm glad you dug Wovenhand - can't say I'm a huge fan!
    That's pretty awesome! I learned my friend Kelly (local goth dj/promoter) was roommates with the guitarist when she lived in Salt Lake City! Crazy small world! I would like to see them sometime with both violins, so hopefully they'll come back!

Not surprised I liked Wovenhand more than you, as that I'm a goth/experimental guy who likes some metal, and I think the opposite would describe you! I also used to do traditional Celtic and American folk music, so there's a touchstone there for me.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

It sounds nice. I like it. The first melody is repeated a bit to many times for my taste. now, if vocals are laid on it on the later part, then it's fine, but if you just repeat it more or less for the first minute of the song, I would propose to cut it a bit shorter and add a different riff there. or you could put a synth melody on top of it. you still have a synth in the band, don't you?
    then again, I write 10 minute long songs, so I shouldn't complain about length

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
    It sounds nice. I like it. The first melody is repeated a bit to many times for my taste. now, if vocals are laid on it on the later part, then it's fine, but if you just repeat it more or less for the first minute of the song, I would propose to cut it a bit shorter and add a different riff there. or you could put a synth melody on top of it. you still have a synth in the band, don't you?
    then again, I write 10 minute long songs, so I shouldn't complain about length
    Yeah, like I said, it's really early. Can't do vocal takes atm since my throat's sore, and haven't had the time to track the synths yet. We'll definitely break up the first melody somehow. most likely with a different melody and only keep the rhythm guitars.

2nd track: https://cloud.frozeninfinity.org/s/pKEndwLyv1BkXYi
    A note: The palm muted inlay will be cut or shortened or changed somehow. doesn't relly fit imho. rest is pretty final from an arrangement perspective, but maybe I'll cut the chorus in half (the semi-upbeat eight-notes part).

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

That's pretty awesome! I learned my friend Kelly (local goth dj/promoter) was roommates with the guitarist when she lived in Salt Lake City! Crazy small world! I would like to see them sometime with both violins, so hopefully they'll come back!

Not surprised I liked Wovenhand more than you, as that I'm a goth/experimental guy who likes some metal, and I think the opposite would describe you! I also used to do traditional Celtic and American folk music, so there's a touchstone there for me.
    So uh I know Kelly...
    That's kind of insane. It would be more insane if we hadn't met in meatspace prior though.

That's a good point about Wovenhand though - did you think they were a little cultural appropriaton-y?
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

10. - Top - End - #40

Wow, very small world indeed! I promise i am not stalking you if you can promise the same! Kelly is awesome, and oddly enough, the only time I've played the room SubRosa did, it was a show she set up and ran!

I do see your point about appropriation. Not sure what connection Wovenhand has to the cultures he draws from, though the first interview I pulled up he mentions visiting his son on a rez. Pretty good read, and he talks a lot about using various influences: http://www.westword.com/music/david-...-music-5678868 From the set I saw, nothing was stereotypical or caricature. Nothing was exploitative, and nothing took away another's voice (but no other voices were added). So I guess better than Clapton playing the blues, but not as good as the two-tone ska movement in the UK in the 70s.

Cultural appropriation in music is a tough concept, because the entire point of making music is to share ideas. If we lock stylistic elements in to a certain time/place/people, then that culture stagnates. In trad folk, there are a lot of "purists" who only accept the music if it is performed in certain ways, or on certain instruments. Which is particularly silly, given for example, most of what we think of as Celtic music was more or less codified in the 1800s. These days there are so many fusion genres floating around (folk metal, for a relevant example) it becomes almost as much of an issue to say who can and can't play a type of music, or who should bring influences and techniques from another culture in to what they do. Obsessing over your own heritage exclusively is something that can often lead to racism; not every neo-folk band is racist...but there are a LOT of them that are. Anyway, ranting too much. Taking a voice from someone else is bad. But learning from each other is good, if you do it respectfully. I don't really know the full deal with this guy, but it looks more the latter to me.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

I do see your point about appropriation. Not sure what connection Wovenhand has to the cultures he draws from, though the first interview I pulled up he mentions visiting his son on a rez. Pretty good read, and he talks a lot about using various influences: http://www.westword.com/music/david-...-music-5678868 From the set I saw, nothing was stereotypical or caricature. Nothing was exploitative, and nothing took away another's voice (but no other voices were added). So I guess better than Clapton playing the blues, but not as good as the two-tone ska movement in the UK in the 70s.

Cultural appropriation in music is a tough concept, because the entire point of making music is to share ideas. If we lock stylistic elements in to a certain time/place/people, then that culture stagnates. In trad folk, there are a lot of "purists" who only accept the music if it is performed in certain ways, or on certain instruments. Which is particularly silly, given for example, most of what we think of as Celtic music was more or less codified in the 1800s. These days there are so many fusion genres floating around (folk metal, for a relevant example) it becomes almost as much of an issue to say who can and can't play a type of music, or who should bring influences and techniques from another culture in to what they do. Obsessing over your own heritage exclusively is something that can often lead to racism; not every neo-folk band is racist...but there are a LOT of them that are. Anyway, ranting too much. Taking a voice from someone else is bad. But learning from each other is good, if you do it respectfully. I don't really know the full deal with this guy, but it looks more the latter to me.
    Fair enough! As always your thoughts are very much appreciated my friend!

So it seems like the fall release schedule is stacked, Amenra, Bell Witch, Subrosa Subdued, Hallatar, Exhumed, Primitive Man and more. What are y'all stoked for?
    My Metal Blog

12. - Top - End - #42

Spectral Voice, Gorement, Cadaveric Incubator, Devangelic, Cenotaph, and, of course, the almighty Cannibal Corpse. 2017's been a great year for metal, so hopefully the records from these bands continue that trend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Enslaved, Samael, Katla., Lustre, Moonspell... and Evertale mentioned something but nothing solid yet.

Also just heard that the new Summoning is scheduled for early next year. Much yay
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

2nd track: https://cloud.frozeninfinity.org/s/pKEndwLyv1BkXYi
    A note: The palm muted inlay will be cut or shortened or changed somehow. doesn't relly fit imho. rest is pretty final from an arrangement perspective, but maybe I'll cut the chorus in half (the semi-upbeat eight-notes part).
    Very nice. It sounds like Goethenburg metal with some Norwegian black metal in it. I like it. Can't really add much suggestions. I think I would keep some drum at the slow part around 4:00

15. - Top - End - #45

The new Spectral Voice album is streaming on Decibel! Listening through it for the first time now but I'm digging it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    The new Spectral Voice album is streaming on Decibel! Listening through it for the first time now but I'm digging it.
    This record rips! Nate Garret is a hell of a musician and I love his sensibilities - this is such a huge step forward for the band!
    My Metal Blog

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    This record rips! Nate Garret is a hell of a musician and I love his sensibilities - this is such a huge step forward for the band!
    You're probably thinking of Spirit Adrift, whose new album is indeed great. Spectral Voice appears to be a very different band which Garret does not play in, despite similar disembodied soul names.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

18. - Top - End - #48

New Godflesh in November! Though I'll confess I never liked them as much as I like Jesu, but still eager to hear it.

Darkwave-wise, I just discovered Ritual Howls the other day via their latest release, and sorry I missed them for so long. Gloomy with a touch of country, like a minimal Fields of the Nephilim. That led me to Ash Code from Italy who i had also somehow never heard, but absolutely loved!

And not metal/spooky in any way, but they just started taking pre-orders for a new Belly album! The first since 95! To say I was obsessed with them (particularly the first album Star) would be an understatement. Nothing could excite me more, save maybe a new Oingo Boingo, and even that might be a close call.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Darkwave-wise, I just discovered Ritual Howls the other day via their latest release, and sorry I missed them for so long. Gloomy with a touch of country, like a minimal Fields of the Nephilim. That led me to Ash Code from Italy who i had also somehow never heard, but absolutely loved!
    I've now been listening to Ritual Howls the entire day after you mentioned it, and yeah this is great. Never heard of them before, but I'm definitely a fan. The guy's voice is ambrosia.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    You're probably thinking of Spirit Adrift, whose new album is indeed great. Spectral Voice appears to be a very different band which Garret does not play in, despite similar disembodied soul names.
    *Leaves the hall in shame*
    My Metal Blog

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So I'm not sure if it properly belongs in this thread but I came upon Amorphis' live record ''An evening with friends at Huvila'' which is 9 of their songs rearranged with mostly acoustic instruments (most notably a sax and a sort of Finnish lyre) with quite amazing guest vocals on one song. It's pretty damn delightful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    So I'm not sure if it properly belongs in this thread but I came upon Amorphis' live record ''An evening with friends at Huvila'' which is 9 of their songs rearranged with mostly acoustic instruments (most notably a sax and a sort of Finnish lyre) with quite amazing guest vocals on one song. It's pretty damn delightful.
    Love this record. It really speaks to their talent as songwriters. They remain one of the more interesting melodeath bands from that period. I remember seeing them at MDF a few years ago and even though I hadn't listened in years I could still remember their hooks!
    My Metal Blog

23. - Top - End - #53

October is apparently Pittsburgh local music video month!
    Metal related: my friends Shrouded In Neglect just put a new video up on their Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/ShroudedInNeglect/ they've got another one on deck that I like the video better for, but I like this song better. Check them out!
    Non-metal related: I also dropped a new video for my song Death In Paris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B02H3tfI2r8 I'm pretty excited about how this came out. The director did an astonishing job, and managed to make me look pretty cool at times, a task I would have thought impossible! Let me know what you think!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Have we talked about the new Enslaved yet.

I quite like it. They're on the way to Ihsahn-type full prog (random sax solo included), but still plenty heavy. Probably RIITIIR-era was their best, and this is a small step down, but still damn good. Also I'm kinda obsessed with that Röyksopp cover at the end.

Also new Samael out. They've been a bit hit-and-miss lately (their best album is still Reign of Light... fite me) but I quite like it. Heavy on the industrial, which is good. Oh! that reminds me. Who here has heard of Progenie Terrestre Pura. Kinda spacey-industrial black metal. It's great. Reminds me of Darkspace a little bit. Just stumbled across them the other day.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Also new Samael out. They've been a bit hit-and-miss lately (their best album is still Reign of Light... fite me) but I quite like it. Heavy on the industrial, which is good.
    No, I won't. Depending on my mood, but you're right about 90% of the time :) RoL was really good.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just discovered Infinita Symphonia, an Italian symphonic metal band. They sound pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

27. - Top - End - #57

Also, Silent Voices (progressive metal).
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Have we talked about the new Enslaved yet.

I quite like it. They're on the way to Ihsahn-type full prog (random sax solo included), but still plenty heavy. Probably RIITIIR-era was their best, and this is a small step down, but still damn good. Also I'm kinda obsessed with that Röyksopp cover at the end.
    I looooove the new record, I think it's fascinating how far they've expanded their sound - it feels like the sky is the limit. In some ways they are almost like Darkthrone - willing to do whatever they want. Then again - I work with them so I'm biased
    My Metal Blog

29. - Top - End - #59

There's a new album with guitar by Jani Liimatainen and sung by Anette Olzon. Bass by Jonas Kuhlberg (Cain's Offering, One Desire) and drums by Jani “Hurtsi” Hurula (Silent Voices). It's called "The Dark Element". I have only heard one song so far (the eponymous "Dark Element"), and I liked it.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, I was just made aware of this guy: VVilderness - and everyone needs to listen to this. Apparently a solo artist with minimal equipment. He does a sort-of atmospheric post-black metal thing, and it is really, really good.