New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Metal thread IX: Metal To The Pedal To The Other Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    ...My recent hardcore punk kick (by 'recent' I mean 'ongoing for the past ten years') has inspired thoughts of kicking up a thread similar to this, but for punk. Any thoughts?

My thoughts are:

I'm about
    To have a nervous breakdown
    My head really hurts
    If I don't find a way out of here

I'm gonna go berserk 'cause
    I'm crazy and I'm hurt
    Head on my shoulders
    It's going berserk I hear the same old talk talk talk

The same old lines
    Don't do me that today,
    yeah If you know what's good for you
    You'll get out of my way

'Cause I'm crazy and I'm hurt
    Head on my shoulders
    Going berserk
    I won't apologize

For acting outta line
    You see the way I am
    You leave any time you can cause
    I'm crazy and I'm hurt

Head on my shoulders
    Going berserk
    Crazy! Crazy! Crazy! Crazy!

and

It's not the truth I see
    It's just a mockery
    Don't need to waste my time
    You know I've really tried
    You take and never give
    Make it so hard to live
    I'm hangin' on a ledge
    Push me over the edge

Don't do the things you do
    Don't have to oblige you
    Makin choices on my own
    Don't buy their trite or drone
    Grow up and be a man
    Drop dead right where you stand
    I'm hangin' on a ledge
    Push me over the edge
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    I'd probably pop in every once in a while, though my tastes in punk tend to be pretty old school and/or pop-y, rather than hardcore (and by pop-y, I don't mean like Green Day, I mean more like Bad Religion and SNFU). I'm pretty up on post-punk stuff, both classic (Suicide and Joy Division are two of my favorite bands) and newer (The Soft Moon is a new favorite). That said, music threads other than this one don't seem to stick around much, so you could just talk about punk here, as I often do goth/industrial!
    That's true. I figured a punk thread might draw people who wouldn't otherwise stop by the metal thread, but this thread seems to be unique in its ability to outlive any other music-themed thread.

I'm mainly into hardcore a la Youth of Today and Minor Threat (80s hardcore punk is easily my favourite music 'scene' of all time) but I'm also really into the goth and darkwave stuff birthed by post-punk like Clan of Xymox and This Ascension. Sadly, trying to find darkwave albums as great as Medusa, or Beauty and Bitterness, seems to be a matter of sifting through a whole lot of bland whiffle, so my efforts to dig deeper into the genre have been a bit stymied.

At least I'll always have records featuring nothing but power chords and a guy yelling angrily about how much alcohol sucks to fall back on.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    My thoughts are:
    The second set of lyrics went over my head, but I dig the Black Flag reference!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Kreator: After the opening act, Kreator came on. Although they did play well, they weren't that good at keeping the crowd engaged. For those who like moshing would have been disappointed, as their mosh pit quickly turned into four or five people running in circles. They played well, but I wasn't really a fan of Kreator to begin with, and it looked like most people weren't either, as most people were wearing Sabaton gear and talked mostly about Sabaton and other power metal bands out in the line. I saw some actually counting minutes until the show was over. I honestly believe it was the weak point of the concert.
    Huh, interesting. I was thinking of catching that tour almost entirely to see Kreator. I like Sabaton well enough as a live band, and have seen them on several occasions, but only as the supporting act to whoever I actually wanted to go see.

My recent hardcore punk kick (by 'recent' I mean 'ongoing for the past ten years') has inspired thoughts of kicking up a thread similar to this, but for punk. Any thoughts-- would any of you find that worth posting in?
    I might on occasion. My brother plays in a melodic punk band and he points stuff out to me every now and then that I like.

In sadder news, Glenn Tipton has Parkinsons, and it's progressed to the point where he can't play the more difficult Priest songs and has to retire from touring.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    In sadder news, Glenn Tipton has Parkinsons, and it's progressed to the point where he can't play the more difficult Priest songs and has to retire from touring.
    That is indeed a great loss. I've always liked him best of the two original (that is, from the first album onward) guitar players. It seems he still did a lot on the album, since he was able to not talk about it during the recording. I hope he really will be able, like the band has said, to join for a few songs on their shows
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    I found this out in the same breath that I found out that Priest is releasing a new album this month. It was quite a one-two punch right in the nostalgia.

That's true. I figured a punk thread might draw people who wouldn't otherwise stop by the metal thread, but this thread seems to be unique in its ability to outlive any other music-themed thread.
    Yeah, we're pretty chill here. I frequently also talk about darkwave and neofolk and stuff here, so yeah. This thread is for whatever

There's a new Therion out. It's... something. Some sort of rock opera triple album. Honestly I love Therion but I doubt I'll listen to this more than twice. Instead I'll be back at Vovin if anyone needs me.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post

Yeah, we're pretty chill here. I frequently also talk about darkwave and neofolk and stuff here, so yeah. This thread is for whatever
    I really just view this as the 'alternative underground music' thread. We all have pretty diverse tastes and are total nerds.

The Tipton thing is really crushing. He let me play guitar with him many moons ago and it was one of the great experiences of my life...
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    I really just view this as the 'alternative underground music' thread. We all have pretty diverse tastes and are total nerds.
    I'm going to see Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphy's tonight and I am so hyped.

No idea why they made DM headline though. Flogging Molly is better (and more well known, I think).
    They both have their own label/record companies so that shouldn't matter I think.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'm going to see Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphy's tonight and I am so hyped.

No idea why they made DM headline though. Flogging Molly is better (and more well known, I think).
    They both have their own label/record companies so that shouldn't matter I think.
    Looks like Flogging Molly was around earlier too... weird.
    Also - the main dude from Flogging Molly was in Fastway! How about that!
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

9. - Top - End - #129

I like Flogging Molly more than Dropkick Murphys as well, though to be fair, I've never seen the latter live. The former I caught at an Irish fest in Ohio many years ago, I was mostly there to see the Old Blind Dogs, but FM put on a killer show! I love trad/Celtic folk, and have been playing with it from an electronic standpoint for ages. Putting a Scottish trad tune as a b-side to a lathe cut 7" I'm having made right now, in fact!
    https://soundcloud.com/doors-in-the-...-mix-4/s-O2HjQ

Somehow I missed that both Die Form and In The Nursery had new releases last year. Die Form's was pretty standard fare for them, so really great if you like fetishy darkwave. ITN's, however, was almost a throwback to their early post-punk days, only done with the production skills they've honed over the years. It's amazing!

More on the metal side, there's a new album from The Body out soon, and the track I've heard off it is amazing. My friends Abjection Ritual have a new one coming out on Malignant Records soon too, if you like death industrial.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Most of the time, Europe has the greatest shows compared to overseas. However, now i'm jealous:
    Tyr + Orphaned Land + Ghost Ship Octavius
    Judas Priest + Saxon + Black Star Riders (last band not that important for me)

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
    Most of the time, Europe has the greatest shows compared to overseas. However, now i'm jealous:
    Tyr + Orphaned Land + Ghost Ship Octavius
    Judas Priest + Saxon + Black Star Riders (last band not that important for me)
    Wait where is this happening? Black Star Riders is kind of cool - but i'd rather they had stayed Thin Lizzy

Also Narmoth you need to empty your inbox so I can Pm you
    My Metal Blog

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think it was right for them to change the name. Their music isn't that close to the old thin lizzy, and I think the namechange gave them more room to find their own style. I've seen them both as thin lizzy and black star riders, and I think the black star riders show was better

Seems Tengger Cavalry is quitting. I guess the mainman was burned out by the legal battle between their old label and the new. Really sad to see this, even though I think their last album was weaker than the older ones, they were a fun addition to the metal genre

(also, I've fixed the inbox)
    Last edited by Narmoth; 2018-02-28 at 10:58 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    So I went and saw the first show of the Sabaton/Kreator North American Tour a few days ago from when I post this. I thought I'd give my personal thoughts and opinions as a sort of a review. I also want you all to know that this was my first metal concert.

Exmortus (opening act): Exmortus started right away playing Slave to the Sword and it made a really good opening to the entire night. After that, they did a good job as entertainers and an amazing job especially as guitarists. There was also a decent mosh pit behind me during the whole thing (I was almost at the very front) and everyone had a great time. My only complaint was that the bass drums drowned out the vocals. However, that didn't detract too much from the experience from me, as I never really liked them for their vocals.

Kreator: After the opening act, Kreator came on. Although they did play well, they weren't that good at keeping the crowd engaged. For those who like moshing would have been disappointed, as their mosh pit quickly turned into four or five people running in circles. They played well, but I wasn't really a fan of Kreator to begin with, and it looked like most people weren't either, as most people were wearing Sabaton gear and talked mostly about Sabaton and other power metal bands out in the line. I saw some actually counting minutes until the show was over. I honestly believe it was the weak point of the concert.

Sabaton: Sabaton started by quieting the excited crowd down by slowly playing (offstage) a half of a cover of In the Army Now by Status Quo before exciting the crowd again by running onstage to play Ghost Division. The songs were great, their performance as entertainers was fun to watch (and funny), and the entire crowd (including me) was participating and singing along. I thought almost everything about them was good, although as a Sabaton fan I might be biased. They were just all around rad and a fun end to the night. My only problem was at the beginning there was this weird mood whiplash (Blood of Bannockburn to Cliffs of Gallipoli to Lion of the North to The Final Solution), but maybe that's how it was meant to be, to show that the subjects of their songs weren't fun and games. A disclaimer in a sense.

Anyways, that was my opinion of the Sabaton/Kreator concert (playing in Portland, OR as I write this). If anyone here is planning to go, I would advise you to get ready to have a blast.
    Went to the Chicago show last night. They had a different opening act (somebody called Cyra or something, never heard of them) that was pretty good. Kreator went on much too long, which seemed to make Sabaton a bit rushed in the first half of their set.

The mosh pit got a bit out of hand, but the most notable thing was the floor. During the synchronized jumping for Primo Victoria, the floor flexd so much that the mic stands on stage were swinging "like drunken ballerinas". It was a little scary.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Went to the Chicago show last night. They had a different opening act (somebody called Cyra or something, never heard of them) that was pretty good. Kreator went on much too long, which seemed to make Sabaton a bit rushed in the first half of their set.

The mosh pit got a bit out of hand, but the most notable thing was the floor. During the synchronized jumping for Primo Victoria, the floor flexd so much that the mic stands on stage were swinging "like drunken ballerinas". It was a little scary.
    I think I know who you are talking about with the opening act. cyHra it the band who was actually supposed to open here in Phoenix, but Exmortus performed in their place for some reason. I did some research about them before the concert, and apparently it's a group that contains former members of Annihilator, In Flames, and Rhapsody just to name a few bands.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Saw Conan and The Ditch and the Delta last night. Got hammered with the gang but both bands are EXCELLENT. Good things are coming for Ditch!
    My Metal Blog

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

So, the wife has decreed that we are going to see Metallica when they come to NC, either this fall in Charlotte or in Jan 2019 in Raleigh.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    So, the wife has decreed that we are going to see Metallica when they come to NC, either this fall in Charlotte or in Jan 2019 in Raleigh.

I saw them in '85 at a "Day on the Green", I remember that the Scorpions and Y&T also played, and that I wore a too small old AC/DC T-shirt (whom I'd seen at the Cow Palace in '82) and a cast on my arm, and I don't remember much else, except that Metallica seemed the highlight.

My little brother had already seen them at the Kabuki and was a much bigger fan (I was more into the Dead Kennedy's at the time).
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Come back, thread :C

Not much going on in my side of the world recently. Had a Cattle Decapitation gig recently, which was... interesting. Opening band was a local band called Insidious Reign, and they're actually pretty good.

Anyway. Turns out Gygax has a new album out. it's great. It's proper old-school heavy metal, plus it's D&D themed. What's not to like.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post

Anyway. Turns out Gygax has a new album out. it's great. It's proper old-school heavy metal, plus it's D&D themed. What's not to like.
    This band rules
    Gotta say I really preferred the first record though...

Anyone check out the new Visigoth?
    My Metal Blog

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I see where Visigoth draw their inspiration from, however, they just don't do anything for me, even though I'm big on old school metal.
    Speaking of oldschool, I was given an album by Skullwinx at one of the shops at Hammer of Doom. It was a bonus for us spending so much money, or they didn't have change, or something like that. Anyway, that's an old school band much more to my liking. And a cool way to advertise them

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
    Speaking of oldschool, I was given an album by Skullwinx at one of the shops at Hammer of Doom. It was a bonus for us spending so much money, or they didn't have change, or something like that. Anyway, that's an old school band much more to my liking. And a cool way to advertise them
    That's awesome! I'm not familiar with that band but... thats a godawful name. Sounds like a weird Yu Gi Oh card
    My Metal Blog

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    This band rules
    Gotta say I really preferred the first record though...
    Yeah me too actually. This one isn't bad, but the first one just felt more fresh I guess.

New Sojourner out. I'm hearing some solid Saor vibes. It's awesome.

23. - Top - End - #143

New album by HIDE out on Friday, but you can stream it today: https://www.revolvermag.com/music/he...ration-anxiety
    I've been waiting for this one for a while! Feytalist, I think this one might be for you too. I'm opening for them in a couple weeks!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    New album by HIDE out on Friday, but you can stream it today: https://www.revolvermag.com/music/he...ration-anxiety
    I've been waiting for this one for a while! Feytalist, I think this one might be for you too. I'm opening for them in a couple weeks!
    Well that made me physically uncomfortable. I like it Been a while since I heard some new industrial.

New Between the Buried and Me is out. All my friends rave about it, but I've never been able to get into them. I just really dislike the vocals. Doubt this one will change my mind, from what I've heard about it.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

BIG day in metal today... in brief

-Lamb of God covers record
    -Dude from Inquisition is a pedophile
    -Decapitated are finally home

Well... where do we start?
    My Metal Blog

26. - Top - End - #146

Just bought my ticket to see Sleep and SubRosa on Tuesday. Stoked!

Also saw Iced Earth and Sanctuary about a month back. Iced Earth was tight as hell, and although no one can replace Warrel Dane in my heart I have to admit that the guy singing for him did a damn fine job with Battle Angels and Future Tense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    Just bought my ticket to see Sleep and SubRosa on Tuesday. Stoked!
    Seriously might fly out to that one...

I have a problem
    My Metal Blog

28. - Top - End - #148

Some friends of mine hit Sleep/SubRosa in Cleveland last night, and we're appropriately crushed. I had to bail, being a little tapped out on concert cash. I am however seeing Bad Religion, I don't know how I've managed to not see them before.

It's at a beer fest, so let's see if my drunk, out of shape 40 year old self will be smart enough will be smart enough to keep out of the pit.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

So they announced the new Papa today.... and it's a Cardinal

Man, Ghost is insane and I love it!
    My Metal Blog

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Haven't really been wowed by Ghost's new tracks yet, but I'll be checking out the new album anyway. They're always good for a laugh (and I mean that in a good way).

So new Kamelot is out. It's very... Kamelot. Not really much more to say about that.

New Messa is also out. Honestly don't know what even to call them (kinda jazzy doom?), but it's really really good.