New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Mystic wildshape ranger?

I've seen a few mentions of mystic wildshape ranger, combining the wildshape and mystic variants, but I'm not clear on if/how it would work.

Wildshape ranger trades away the combat style feats, and mystic ranger delays them. So would mystic wildshape ranger get delayed wildshape? Are the 2 compatible at all?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Mystic wildshape ranger?

Hmm. Good question. Though wild shape is replacing the combat style, it's not a combat style. I would say by RAW it does work together without a delay, but your dm might interpret it differently. I think mystic ranger also sacrifices animal companion.

Edited because of a mixup.
    Last edited by EndocrineBandit; 2017-08-20 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Stupidity.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Per the RAW, you're sacrificing a (very mildly) delayed feature.

You're still sacrificing that feature -- you're losing benefits that you would have accrued.

The original features accrued at levels 2, 6, and 11 -- the delayed Mystic Ranger features accrue at levels 3, 7, and 12.

If your plan was to PrC out into Master of Many Forms at level 6, you're losing the same number of features in both cases (one) and sacrificing advancement in a better feature (does not advance spellcasting).

Mystic Ranger does indeed sacrifice Animal Companion, so that's a thing too.

Overall I'd allow Mystic Wildshape Ranger. It doesn't seem abusive.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Mystic wildshape ranger is a decent entry for daggerspell shaper. Probably the one of the best entries for it.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Use Frostblood Half-Orc from Dragon Magic, it basically gives you Sword of the Arcane Order as a bonus feat at 4th level. They get Endurance as a racial bonus feat at 1st level, with the added benefit of being able to take any feat you qualify for if you would gain Endurance as a bonus feat from another source. Mystic Ranger delays Endurance to 4th level, exactly the level you need to take Sword of the Arcane Order in Champions of Valor, which enables you to prepare Wizard spells in your Ranger spell slots and cast them as (divine) Ranger spells. You can also use the Half-Humans and Humanlike Races variant in Races of Destiny p150 to qualify for Magical Training, which gives you a spellbook which you're able to add more spells to just as a Wizard does (per Rules Compendium).

Be sure to get Natural Spell at 6th, so you can cast Wraithstrike and similar while in the form of a Fleshraker dinosaur. You can even cast Venomfire on yourself starting at 8th level.

While we're on the topic, a Wildshape Mystic Ranger is the strongest character you can make (mechanically) in an E6 game.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    While we're on the topic, a Wildshape Mystic Ranger is the strongest character you can make (mechanically) in an E6 game.
    It looks like a T1 right up to level 10, after which it drops off sharply.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    It looks like a T1 right up to level 10, after which it drops off sharply.
    Whoever wrote that progression had no idea what they were doing, because it's severely bad. I strongly recommend shifting to a Duskblade-type progression instead.

(Actually, upgrading all 4th level casters to the Duskblade progression, with 5th level spells off whatever list seems most appropriate, would be a great way to turn them into strong gish options)
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant
    Whoever wrote that progression had no idea what they were doing, because it's severely bad.
    Which part is severely bad?

Not sure if you’re referring to the baseline mystic ranger or the mystic-wildshape mashup.

Last edited by Palanan; 2017-08-22 at 08:46 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Which part is severely bad?

Not sure if you’re referring to the baseline mystic ranger or the mystic-wildshape mashup.

The baseline-- it goes at (roughly) full caster speed for the first half of the class, gets its 5th level spells right on time, then more-or-less stops. No progression beyond a few more spells/day. It's a wildly irregular power curve that leaves you ahead of the curve at low levels, but bottoming out at high.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant
    The baseline-- it goes at (roughly) full caster speed for the first half of the class, gets its 5th level spells right on time, then more-or-less stops. No progression beyond a few more spells/day. It's a wildly irregular power curve that leaves you ahead of the curve at low levels, but bottoming out at high.
    Okay, thanks—that does make sense.

Is this usually patched with PrCs, or multiclassing after tenth level?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, thanks—that does make sense.

Is this usually patched with PrCs, or multiclassing after tenth level?
    Either way. I'd stop worrying about the progression after hitting 10th level casting, and I might leave the class before that if I was offered a good PrC. Certainly something like Mystic Wildshape Ranger 10/Master of Many Forms 10 would be tremendously strong.

Then again, my RAW opinion is that the two don't stack, since Mystic Ranger already tinkered with Combat Styles. Doesn't seem like you can double-dip like that.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Would a mystic wildshape ranger qualify for Natural Spell?

If so, that combined with SotAO sounds useful.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Would a mystic wildshape ranger qualify for Natural Spell?

If so, that combined with SotAO sounds useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Natural Spell [General]

Prerequisites

Wis 13, wild shape ability.
    So yep! No problem there!
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

These variants simply swap one or more of that class’s features for one or more class features of another class. A class feature gained works just as it did for its original class, including the level at which it is gained and any other effects, except as noted below. - Unearthed Arcana, page 58

Would Mystic Ranger gain the abilities needed to trade for Wild Shape? Yes. Therefore you can exchange those abilities to get Wild Shape at the same level as the Druid would (along with Fast Movement as the Barbarian would).