New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Sorcerer: the most unsatisfying class

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    The thing that anoyes me the most is that, minus a Wish spell, there is no canon way for a Dragonic Origin Sorcerer to become a Dragon, something avalable to literally every other Arcane Spellcaster in the game.
    I think that's more of an issue of the power of 9th-level spells more than a failing of class design.

That said, I do feel you on that. 5E D&D has a vision of the game where you, the PC, pretty much do the same things you did at level 15 that you did at level 5. It's not as completely ruthless about this vision as 4E D&D was, as there are plenty (always in the hands of full-casters, of course) ways to genuinely shift the paradigm. But it's pretty clear from looking at the class features -- not just of sorcerers, but from other characters like the cleric -- that you were supposed to be okay with your 'dragon' character having some elemental affinities, a slightly tougher body, and wings.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

wizards have more spells
    bards have more versatility
    warlocks have more damage
    clerics have more heals
    druids have more EVERYTHING

what is left for the sorcerer to do?
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Give em spell points, merge the two SP pools.

They get 0 new things, both flavor and mechanics are improved and they get to enjoy their own niche.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #154

Elemental mastery:
    For 2sp you can change the listed element damage type of a spell or cantrip to another element damage type.

Acid, Cold, Fire, Force, Lightning, Necrotic, Poison, Radiant, or Thunder

Too powerful a metamagic?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Considering Lore Wizard got the same feature for free, I don't think that's too powerful at all.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    Kryx's rules... I can use his rules fairly easily.
    Great to hear that you can use them fairly easily. It's difficult to manage the whole structure so hearing feedback about its usability is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    I'm not overly fond of the 'badwrongfun' implied by "just play 5E as is, and play older systems if you want 'x' factor instead."
    Since when has a D&D community every accepted others playing differently than they? Pffft... Fully agreed though. :)

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8wGremlin View Post
    Elemental mastery:
    For 1sp you can change the damage type of a spell listed below to another listed type.

Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning or Thunder
    Would be what I'd do.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #158

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kryx View Post
    Since when has a D&D community every accepted others playing differently than they? Pffft... Fully agreed though. :)
    Ha!

My way or the Sword Coast Trade Way seems to be the general consensus.
    "If I went around saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint threw a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..." - Dennis, aged 37 - Executive Officer of the Week, Anarcho-syndicalist commune, somewhere in Britain.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    Ha!

My way or the Sword Coast Trade Way seems to be the general consensus.
    It does cut both ways but one side refuses to accept that as true.
    Last edited by ZorroGames; 2017-08-27 at 08:05 PM.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

10. - Top - End - #160

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
    It does cut both ways but one side refuses to accept that as true.
    That'd be the blunt side I guess?
    "If I went around saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint threw a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..." - Dennis, aged 37 - Executive Officer of the Week, Anarcho-syndicalist commune, somewhere in Britain.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Elemental mastery:
    For 1sp you can change the damage type of a spell listed below to another listed type.

Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning or Thunder
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Would be what I'd do.
    In AL or otherwise RAW games it'd be totally fine.

Though this issue is simply an issue of spell damage type balance - tons of fire and very little of others like acid. In home games I'd recommend adding acid and other damage type spells that are missing from the Sorcerer's list. Once you have all 5e elemental options on there start porting elemental spells from old editions - there are plenty to work with that provide great flavor.

12. - Top - End - #162

Devil

I was very sad to see many good attack spells missing from the sorc list. They get a very odd assortment of spells. I would think that since their magic awakes forcefully, they'd focus more on damaging spells, but they don't, which is very strange.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Lee View Post
    Firstly, there already isn't much variety between any two sorcerers because of the perception that twin and quicken are the best. Nevermind that heighten can be used great effect against bosses, because twinned haste and quickened EB are all anyone cares about.
    One of the reasons why Shadow Sorcerer is such a well designed subclass. They give you a persistent Heighten at 6th level for only 3 SP. That will effect all of your spells as long as the hound stays alive.
    Last edited by Byke; 2017-08-28 at 02:42 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Personally I find sorcerers pretty decent, you just need to play them creatively. I do however feel like they need something similiar to warlock patrons, each origin should have an additional list of spells from which they can chose when they gain new spells; for instance I just started playing an ocean sorcerer with a new group and in the longrun I'm going to be asking my DM for access to certain druid spells once I start getting level 7+ slots because what kind of ocean sorcerer doesn't have access to tsunami or change weather?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtraUnam View Post
    Personally I find sorcerers pretty decent, you just need to play them creatively. I do however feel like they need something similiar to warlock patrons, each origin should have an additional list of spells from which they can chose when they gain new spells; for instance I just started playing an ocean sorcerer with a new group and in the longrun I'm going to be asking my DM for access to certain druid spells once I start getting level 7+ slots because what kind of ocean sorcerer doesn't have access to tsunami or change weather?
    That may be the right niche for Sorcerers. Make them a class based on the natural magic of particular things: dragons, ocean, stone, shadow, etc. This would differentiate them from Wizards who study arcane secrets, but also from Druids who are part of all of nature.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

That may be the right niche for Sorcerers. Make them a class based on the natural magic of particular things: dragons, ocean, stone, shadow, etc. This would differentiate them from Wizards who study arcane secrets, but also from Druids who are part of all of nature.
    Well that would make it more than a flavor dip for another class (my current evaluation of the Sorcerer class.)

Wonder if WOTC would do that via subclasses.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

That's exactly what the Sorcerer's Origin does. That's why I focus my Sorcerer on the Origin and emphasize it as a large role in the class.
    Last edited by Kryx; 2017-08-28 at 04:51 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

That's exactly what the Sorcerer's Origin does. That's why I focus my Sorcerer on the Origin and emphasize it as a large role in the class.
    I did the same, having origin grant additional spells known same as a druid circle. But Regardless of anyone's homebrew, the fact remains that WotC didn't focus on that origin much mechanically. Neither PHB origin impacts spell list or Metamagic, the two staples of the class as written. As a result, players see Sorcerers as the Metamagic class, not the magical origin class.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

I did the same, having origin grant additional spells known same as a druid circle. But Regardless of anyone's homebrew, the fact remains that WotC didn't focus on that origin much mechanically. Neither PHB origin impacts spell list or Metamagic, the two staples of the class as written. As a result, players see Sorcerers as the Metamagic class, not the magical origin class.
    Agreed, though we're talking about fixes at this point in the thread. So I'm recommending the fix I chose to use. :)

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I find the frustration in that any viable fix suggested so far pretty much stops AL play cold and AL is King here unless you get an invite to a private campaign.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

I find the frustration in that any viable fix suggested so far pretty much stops AL play cold and AL is King here unless you get an invite to a private campaign.
    Then you have to live with RAW.

You always have the option of becoming a GM or playing on Roll20/Fantasy Grounds.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Then you have to live with RAW.

You always have the option of becoming a GM or playing on Roll20/Fantasy Grounds.
    No, I decided early on to avoid the whole DM route. Just, no.

I just want to have fun, not work.

I can live with "Sorcerer as dip" since I almost exclusively play fighters or clerics as base class.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

23. - Top - End - #173

RedWizardGuy

No, I decided early on to avoid the whole DM route. Just, no.

I just want to have fun, not work.

I can live with "Sorcerer as dip" since I almost exclusively play fighters or clerics as base class.
    Aren't you lucky that some people find DMing fun then?

24. - Top - End - #174

Devil

The more I look at the favored soul, the more I like the idea. I can get fire spells as well as healing spells. Esp. useful as our cleric seems to have baled on the group.

25. - Top - End - #175

Time to revamp my shamanic soul

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

of course they didn't focus on origins. there's no room left. all the power is in the metamagic basket, there's no room left to put a lot of power into origins. the other part of the reason why kryx's sorcerer rework focuses on origins is that the power of metamagic was completely removed from his version of the sorcerer and put into feats, which means there's actually some room in the class to do something cool with origins.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SharkForce View Post
    of course they didn't focus on origins. there's no room left. all the power is in the metamagic basket, there's no room left to put a lot of power into origins. the other part of the reason why kryx's sorcerer rework focuses on origins is that the power of metamagic was completely removed from his version of the sorcerer and put into feats, which means there's actually some room in the class to do something cool with origins.
    Expanded spell lists, similar to a cleric or land druid, add versatility, not power. The sorcerer isn't doing any more with his action than before.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Aren't you lucky that some people find DMing fun then?
    Quite hapily, yes. Did that for 22 people (two parties) for a year in Seattle in the 1980s. Priorities are different now.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

29. - Top - End - #179

RedWizardGuy

Quite hapily, yes. Did that for 22 people (two parties) for a year in Seattle in the 1980s. Priorities are different now.
    If you had groups of 10 PCs playing I can see why you dislike being the DM...

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

If you had groups of 10 PCs playing I can see why you dislike being the DM...
    No, a group of 3 (my girlfriend, Reserve Buddy and his wife) and one massive group. And most of the 3 generation large group showed up regularly.

I need a "Shudder" icon.
    Last edited by ZorroGames; 2017-08-28 at 07:15 PM.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn

Otto von Bismarck Quotes