New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Trouble in Orlane [5e] IC

Hardis takes out two gold coins and hands them to Bertrand. "Done, and done. Here you know what tell him it came from me he should have my card but just in case let me add a little personal touch to this."

Hardis then takes out a piece of paper from his pack and his ink set. He draws a little image of a cat and the words "I'm sorry" on the outside. On the inside he scetches out a self portrait so that Grover remembers who its from and encloses a polite apology with hopes that they can be better friends in the future.

Hardis will then hand the note to Bertrand and say "Make sure he gets this as well"

Spoiler: card
    Show

I check Giantitp at least once or twice a day

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC
    Imperial Warlords ACT I | ACT II| OOC | Admin

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bertrand takes the card, and Hardis takes a look at the ring.

Spoiler: Hardis
    Show
    Intelligence (history): (1d20+4)[22]

Hardis recalls seeing this symbol in an ancient codex when researching Arjano prior to traveling. The oak tree was the personal seal of the head elder of the commune.
    Last edited by shamgar001; 2017-10-18 at 04:52 PM.

DM'ing Trouble In Orlane IC | OOC

Stick figure character portraits I've made for myself and others.

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

After finishing eating and drinking a few pints, Karn wishes to sleep. He retires to a room for the evening as they have had a successful day.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Using prestidigitation, Arco adds the flavor of cinnamon to his porridge, "The ring is worth about 75 gold pieces, so 15 each*. I don't have quite enough to pay you each the full amount right now, but I'll give most of what I have for now and pay the rest later."

*If we're counting Father Pyrestein, although Bogard is leaving us.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As Arco makes the offer to the group Hardis has a closer look at the ring.

"Wait is that an Oak? Yeah I remember seeing that symbol in a codex I was looking through before we left.

That's the sigil of the personal seal of the head elder of the druidic commune! What were orcs doing with it?"

Hardis will take out his notebook and scetch down the design and make several notes about it.

"That could be useful for helping our investigation of the Arjano! Arco do you sense anything from it? Does it feel magical to you in anyway?"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

I'd like to do a arcana check to see if I know if there could be anything overly magical about this thing, please.

Alternatively, I could aid Arco in a arcana check to get advantage.

Last edited by cybric; 2017-10-19 at 10:42 AM.

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Arco concentrates on the ring to determine if any magic is present within.

"Really? Well, that's a very good question. What else do you know about these druids? Could this also be connected with the rumored insane druid living nearby who's enchanting an army of townspeople for some foul purpose?"

He has +3 on arcana checks, so maybe he should aid Hardis.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-10-19 at 01:30 PM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

7. - Top - End - #187

The two half-elves, combining their efforts to make one full elf, perform the ritual to detect magic on the ring.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hardis makes an Intelligence (arcana) check, with assistance from Arco. (1d20+4)[16], (1d20+4)[17]

The ring has transmutation magic. Specifically, it seems to have a modified version of Knock, that suppresses Arcane Lock on specific doors.
    Last edited by shamgar001; 2017-10-19 at 04:51 PM.

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hardis relays the pair's findings.

"So, it's a key. Interesting. This is a great find."

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Arco nods, "Indeed, this could well prove useful in more than one way. I think it's best if we keep it out of sight in general."

Unless soneone objects he places it in a pouch, "If there's nothing else, I'm ready for bed."
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

10. - Top - End - #190

Everyone retires to their respective rooms and has a well-earned rest.

It's midafternoon when everyone wakes.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Awakening so late, Arco anticipates a short day ahead. So he casts his customary Mage Armor spell without extending it.

He tries to find Finley and family with the intention of inquiring about any details that Evey or Duff can provide about the orcs.

He also wants to talk to his uncle. If he doesn't see him by the time he goes to the common room he'll ask Bertrand, "Have you seen my Uncle Robert today?

As he enjoys a hearty meal, during which he shares anything he learned with his companions, he adds, "I think that if this mad druid exists, he may have been connected with the Arjano commune."

He then retires to his room to begin analyzing the wine.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karn finds himself meandering down to grab something to eat, his mind filled with questions of concern. Today he doesn't want to put it off at all but rather get to it quickly. Eating without much hesitation and downing a ale to begin his day. Karn gathers his gear and checks it over before wishing to go visit Margaret. Her disappearance without any idea of what happened is concerning, but what's more concerning is her return and attitude change. The way the barmaid was saying it made it seem as though she appeared to be radically different in personality.

13. - Top - End - #193

Quote Originally Posted by Gryndel View Post
    Awakening so late, Arco anticipates a short day ahead. So he casts his customary Mage Armor spell without extending it.

He tries to find Finley and family with the intention of inquiring about any details that Evey or Duff can provide about the orcs.
    Duff is not interested in discussing his ordeal, and is content with laying in bed next to Finley. Evelyn agrees to talk in the hallway.

"They attacked us early in the morning. I was out collecting mushrooms in the forest when I heard them coming. They were making a lot of noise, howling and blowing their horns. I ran back to the house and told Finley what was going on. He got us all inside and we set up some barricades. The country around the house has always been safe, but we always kept some weapons around in case the worst should happen. Eventually they made it to the house and before long they had battered the door down and they were up the loft. That's the last thing I remember before waking up in that hut.

I'm not sure how long passed while held prisoner. I heard them talking about, but I couldn't understand any of it. Some of them came in and threatened to kill us - I think they wanted to eat us - but a short one wouldn't let them. I think he was a priest or something. He kept telling them to wait. I don't know why.

Is there anything specific you wanted to know?
    "

He also wants to talk to his uncle. If he doesn't see him by the time he goes to the common room he'll ask Bertrand, "Have you seen my Uncle Robert today?
    Bertrand replies, "Yes, I believe he left late in the morning to deliver his wares to the various buyers around town. You should have seen his face when I told him where you went off it. He went pale as a ghost."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Grovski: " Arco, I'll come with you. Not sure how I can help but we should'nt move on our own."

Once inside the room: " Look, I didn't have time to share this with the others but I heard that people in Orlane are being kidnapped and replaced. You can identify the changelings by the fang marks in their necks. At least that's the rumor. Zackary Ormond, the mayor of this place, is a old friend of my parents. Talking to him might solve some question you have."
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2017-10-23 at 03:06 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hardis woke around the same time as the others and came down to join the group eating their meals.

He ate while reviewing notes he had joted down in his journal looking over what they knew so far about the town.

His notebook was somewhat of a roadmap of his adventures and it was well worn to say the least. It even included a puncture on the front which had saved his life when a knife was thrown at him.

Hardis thinks over what Arco had said before he left to retire back to his room. It was entirely likely that the druid was connected to the commune, which had been Hardis' working theory. The ring that they had found would be important but it was only one clue. They would need more.

Hardis finsihes his meal, closes his journal, and then prepares his pipe will he thinks things over. The tobacco that he packed in was of a good quality but nothing special still it helped to keep his hands busy doing something.

Hardis eventually leaves with Karn when he leaves. While he had a keen interest in finding the commune of the Arjano he wanted to make sure the Karn was taken helped. The two had developed somewhat of a back and forth over their time together and the secrets of the Arjano would keep for another day.

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shamgar001 View Post
    Duff is not interested in discussing his ordeal, and is content with laying in bed next to Finley. Evelyn agrees to talk in the hallway.

"They attacked us early in the morning. I was out collecting mushrooms in the forest when I heard them coming. They were making a lot of noise, howling and blowing their horns. I ran back to the house and told Finley what was going on. He got us all inside and we set up some barricades. The country around the house has always been safe, but we always kept some weapons around in case the worst should happen. Eventually they made it to the house and before long they had battered the door down and they were up the loft. That's the last thing I remember before waking up in that hut.

I'm not sure how long passed while held prisoner. I heard them talking about, but I couldn't understand any of it. Some of them came in and threatened to kill us - I think they wanted to eat us - but a short one wouldn't let them. I think he was a priest or something. He kept telling them to wait. I don't know why.

Is there anything specific you wanted to know?
    "
    "What else can you tell me about this short one? Is he an orc as well? What was he wearing? Was he carrying anything of note?"

Bertrand replies, "Yes, I believe he left late in the morning to deliver his wares to the various buyers around town. You should have seen his face when I told him where you went off it. He went pale as a ghost."
    Arco sighs softly, then replies, "Well, I suppose I should let him know I'm safe, but I really don't want to disrupt his business. I'll begin analyzing that wine for you. If he should return here before I'm finished please inform him I'm in my room."

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    Grovski: " Arco, I'll come with you. Not sure how I can help but we should'nt move on our own."

Once inside the room: " Look, I didn't have time to share this with the others but I heard that people in Orlane are being kidnapped and replaced. You can identify the changelings by the fang marks in their necks. At least that's the rumor. Zackary Ormond, the mayor of this place, is a old friend of my parents. Talking to him might solve some question you have."
    Arco smiles, "Thank you Grovski, and I agree about not going out alone. But I have no intention of leaving the inn again until I finish analyzing that wine. I think you three should stick together. If you need me come back to get me, I'll be glad to help however I can. I also think you should tell them all this changeling and bite mark rumor."

He also shares everything he learned about the orcs from Evelyn.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-10-26 at 03:11 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

17. - Top - End - #197

"What else can you tell me about this short one? Is he an orc as well? What was he wearing? Was he carrying anything of note?"
    "He was an orc, I'm sure. He was covered in white paint, and he carried a spear that had dead animals hanging from it - mice, birds, just small things. Sometimes his voice sounded like thunder inside a cave. Most of the time he was next to a she-orc who seemed to be the toughest fighter."
    Last edited by shamgar001; 2017-10-24 at 03:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

"He was an orc, I'm sure. He was covered in white paint, and he carried a spear that had dead animals hanging from it - mice, birds, just small things. Sometimes his voice sounded like thunder inside a cave. Most of the time he was next to a she-orc who seemed to be the toughest fighter."
    "Were those two at your house with the others?"

After the answer to that, Arco adds in an empathic, very friendly yet sincerely concerned tone, "Do you think Duff will be ok? Will you three be staying here a while?
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

19. - Top - End - #199

"Were those two at your house with the others?"

After the answer to that, Arco adds in an empathic, very friendly yet sincerely concerned tone, "Do you think Duff will be ok? Will you three be staying here a while?
    "The short one was at the attack. I'm not sure about the others.

Duff is frightened and doesn't want to leave the bed. I'm sure he will move past this, gods willing. The priestess came to visit and prayed a blessing on him. We'll stay here for a while longer. Finley and Bertrand are old friends, and he said we could stay as long as we like.
    "

Karn and Hardis

Karn follows the directions provided by the bar maid. True to her advice, Karn could smell the farm before he could see it. The farm has a modest homestead, a large barn, and several animal pens containing a small number of swine. A man is working on repairing fences, and the sounds of cooking can be heard from inside the homestead.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karn's nose wrinkles slightly as they get closer...pig farm's always smelled interesting to say the least. Seeing the man doing work outside, he guessed that would be the best place to start. He approached the man and spoke in a happy tone. Karn actually was in a good mood due to them having been successful rescuing the family.
    "Hello there sir. How do you fair on this fine morning? I do hope you don't mind the random visit but I am here looking for Margaret Ellsyn. It has been a while since I last saw her."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Grovski nods and try to go back to the others...

(do I need to roll for it?)

22. - Top - End - #202

Karn, Grovski, Hardis

The man stops working and looks at the trio with a blank expression. "She's in the kitchen," he says flatly. "Who are you?"

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

He smiles, trying his best to appear pleasant as He is not trying to cause any issues.

"My name is Karn, I'm married to Margarets sister."

He reaches his hand out for a handshake and thinks for a moment. He thought he had met this man previously and wonders if he doesn't recognize Karn or forgot him perhaps.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Grovski follow but don't like the smell of a farm. He try to not show it however. he keep his mouth shut however.

25. - Top - End - #205

The man looks Karn in the eye with a blank expression. He doesn't seem to notice the extended hand or Karn's companions. "Oh. I'm Sven." He doesn't resume working.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

"The short one was at the attack. I'm not sure about the others.

Duff is frightened and doesn't want to leave the bed. I'm sure he will move past this, gods willing. The priestess came to visit and prayed a blessing on him. We'll stay here for a while longer. Finley and Bertrand are old friends, and he said we could stay as long as we like.
    "
    Arco smiles warmly at her, "Then we'll be neighbors, at least for a short while. I'm here primarily because I heard there may be an opportunity in Orlane for an alchemist to ply his trade honorably. My uncle is a caravan master who's been here before, but not for some time."

He lowers his voice and adds, "When I began to check out more about Orlane I heard other, far more disturbing things, about this town and the surrounding area. This only deepened my desire to come here. My campanions and I each have one or more reasons to be here, only a few of which coincide. But we all seem to share a common interest in seeking to find out more about Orlane and what troubles there may be here, then help where we can."

Then he bows his head slightly before intoning positively, "If things work out as I hope, I may make Orlane my home. But I've kept you from your family far too long already, so I bid you well. Let's talk again soon, I'd love to hear more about your family's history and experiences here, and share mine if you're interested."
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-10-31 at 05:17 PM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Hello Sven."
    Karn lowers his hand, realizing he hadn't met him before. But still...this was strange behavior.

"If it's entirely alright, I'd love to speak with her."
    Karn won't wait for an answer. If one of the rumors are true...perhaps Sven isn't actually Sven anymore. Karn will motion for the others to follow him as he walks around Sven and heads towards the house.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Nice to meet you Sven. Hardis pulls out one of his business cards, smiles, and tries to hand it to Sven "I'm Hardis investor, entrepreneur, and all around renaisance man."

When the man doesn't take the card Hardis will just kinda awkwardly tuck it into his shirt or pocket and give it a pat as if to say "there you go".

Hardis takes Karns lead making his way up to the house.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

if Sven tries to stop Karn Hardis will run interference trying to fast talk and distract him

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #209

Sven continues to look in the direction of the party as they depart. The group enters the homestead, and the smell of rustic cuisine partially masks the smell of the pigs. Margaret is standing at the kitchen table, kneading some dough. She looks up, starts, and then smiles. "Oh, I wasn't expecting visitors. Are you here to help Sven fix the fences? Would you like some soup?"

Spoiler: Karn
    Show
    Although Karn hes never met Sven until now, he has met Margaret in person several times.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So she is completely not doing any sort of recognition right now? Like she doesn't seem to recognize Karn?

"Hello Margaret. It's been a little while."
    Karn attempts his best smile. He has news for her...that he doesn't wish to tell her. But...something about her is off. She doesn't seem to react to his presence at all. She would usually greet him with a warm smile and a gentle hug but this...complete disregard as if...

Karn's thinking that the rumors may be more than just rumors now.