New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Trouble in Orlane [5e] IC

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So she is completely not doing any sort of recognition right now? Like she doesn't seem to recognize Karn?
    Correct. They had a good relationship when he knew her, but there's no evidence of recognition.

DM'ing Trouble In Orlane IC | OOC

Stick figure character portraits I've made for myself and others.

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Grovski try to spot a mark on their neck, like the rumors have told him...

3. - Top - End - #213

Spoiler: Grovski
    Show
    Grovski does not see any marks on Margaret's neck, but he does notice red friction burns around her wrists.

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hardis is observing both Sven and Margaret. He takes note of body laungage, how they both don't seem to recognize Karn even though he seems to think they should.

He tries to remember anything from his travels or studies that could explain their behavior. He also tries to imagine a method to narrow down what could be wrong with them.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

hoping for like a arcana check or investigation/ knowledge check. I'm hoping that having direct observations and first hand contact will help Hardis narrow down what this could be.

I check Giantitp at least once or twice a day

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC
    Imperial Warlords ACT I | ACT II| OOC | Admin

5. - Top - End - #215

Spoiler: Hardis
    Show
    As far as Hardis can tell, Margaret's behavior is entirely sincere. There are a number of things that might cause a loss of memory. Some examples that come to mind:
    • Head injury
    • Some illmesses that debilitate the mind and body.
    • Memory alternation magic
    • Charming magic
    • Dopplegangers

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to rule out any of these just based on a casual interaction, although she doesn't show any obvious sign of physical trauma to the head.

Margaret blinks a few times, and then breaks into a bigger smile. "Karn! I'm so glad you've come! It's been ages. Have you brought your wife with you?" She steps around to table and gives Karn a hug, leaving flour handprints on his back.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

... Red friction burns on her wrists? Why both of her wrists and only her wrists...

His first idea is shackles. But she seem to be free now, even if she clearly don't seem to remember things she should.

He ponder all that with a frown. He is not sure if he should ask where are those weird burns are from. Maybe its not shackles but some kind of allergy from wearning jellewleries?

She dont seem like the type to wear such trinkets... And why on both wrist then? Would that be a fashion trend he is not aware about?

He is lost in thought, realizing his first idea might have being too out-there. Their must be a more logical explination for this weird behavior and... those marks.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2017-11-04 at 08:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Her sudden recollection of him does confuse him slightly while he returns the hug. Something wasn't right with this situation. He smiled warmly at her "Well I actually....need to ask you something first. What..."

He slightly struggles to find the words necessary to out his thought out there in a manner that doesn't come off wrong.

"I have an odd question for you that I need to ask first. What is your sisters name?"

He spoke a little quickly. He needed to know how bad that bout of forgetfulness affected her. If she remembered that. Karns wife and her sister were the same person good....if she only remembered her Sisters name okay...if she didn't remember any of that it would be a bigger problem.

8. - Top - End - #218

Margaret's eyes look in the direction of Karn -but not at him- for a few moments. Just before it becomes awkward enough for Karn to want to say something, she smiles again. "It's Yayanna, of course. Silly me. I must be stressed from cleaning up the farm."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hardis can tell there is something off about these people and while he knows several things that could explain it there just isn't enough known yet.

While Karn is interacting with Margaret Hardis is listening to their conversation but he also takes a look around the house for anything that might be off or out off place.

Show

is there anything in the house that looks strange? Like is she making a pretend soup or anything in the house that might be out of place?

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #220

Spoiler: Hardis
    Show
    Show
    Intelligence (investigation) check by Harids, with disadvantage: (1d20+4)[16] (1d20+4)[15]

Almost everything around the house looks normal and lived-in. The only thing out of place he spots in on Margaret's hand: while a married woman in this area would normally wear a wedding band around her wrist, she has none, although she does have a tan line suggesting she wore one until recently.
    Last edited by shamgar001; 2017-11-08 at 02:55 AM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Grovski cough: " Humm, should we stay any longer? I thought you only wanted to meet old friends but being shackled here won't lead us anywhere, isn't it? We still have the mayor to see... "

He try to be subtle about but he sensed if they poked around for too much, he feared to give them a bad feeling. He wanted to get away and regroup. Something didn't feel right about that woman but except from the clue he saw, he couldn't put in his finger on it on what else exactly.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2017-11-08 at 06:36 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh well let's not be rude Grovski.

Margaret, thank you for welcoming us into your home first off. Secondly I can't help but notice your wedding band is missing. How did that happen? It happened recently yes? If we can help you find it we'd be happy to help.

Show

Hardis is trying to draw the groups attention to the detail he found as well as get Margaret to maybe trip over her words.

Tanlines on the wrist where the wedding band should be tells me that it's most likely not a replicant or clone or something, right?

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #223

Margaret looks down at her wrist in silence. After a moment's thought, she looks up with a smile. "We had a spiritual experience, so we've rid ourselves of our worldly wealth and symbols of vanity. Sven and I are united by love, not pieces of metal."
    Last edited by shamgar001; 2017-11-09 at 07:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karn still feels uneasy about the situation. Her looking not in his direction was definitely off. She always was extremely nice towards him. Others would resent him for being a half-orc but she always made him feel welcome with everything that she did. Her general attitude and personality right now seemed to not match up perfectly but be close enough to be a pass. The rest of this conversation needed to happen away from here.

"Margaret I can see that you are busy and to be honest my friends and I are as well today. Perhaps we could come back tomorrow for dinner and catch up properly?"

Karn goes in for a hug as he finishes with a warm smile. Hoping the others would catch on that it would be best to not dwell here currently.

15. - Top - End - #225

Okay, come back to see us some time, she says cherrfully, leaving another pair of flour handprints on Karn's back.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Once they are out, Grovski point out the flour imprint on the guy back and try to remove them with hios hands.

Once they are out of ears reach from those they interrogated, he point out his suspicions about the marks on her wrists.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Something was definitely not right. I had something I need to tell her...but it has to wait until I'm sure she's all her. She needs to know and remember. Something might be wrong with her memory."

Karn was wracking his brain trying to figure it out but there would be not much experience to draw on for himself to remember anything similar. His magic and odd things such as this experiences are rather limited. He would hope that maybe Arco would have some light to shed on it after telling him about what they saw. The only other thing he could think of would be to come back later and ask her where they had this experience at to maybe track down some clues there.

18. - Top - End - #228

On his way out, Hardis asks Margaret about her spiritual change. "You should speak to Father Abramo," she says. "He used to be the priest in town before he retired and Misha took over. Now he just helps people shed their worldly burdens and get in touch with their spiritual side. He's a very wise man. He usually stays at the temple, if you want to speak with him."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Grovski sigh or relief when they leave the farm. He nods to Margaret: " Sound like a good plan. What dob you think you guys? "

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hardis thanks Margaret for her time and leaves with a cordial bow.

"Yes, I feel like we most definitely need to investigate this priest more. Right now they are our best lead into why people are acting strangely. There are a number of things that I know of that can change someones personality to change. Dogglegangers, magicial suggestions, and more mundane techniques as well.

We should regroup with the others and look into this further."

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karn will head back to the inn with the others to regroup. They needed to figure out their next step.

(Not sure if that's what we were waiting for or if we're waiting for something else so figured I'd just toss this up quick)

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Inside the Golden Grain Inn, Arco is slowly enjoying an ale and chatting with Bertrand (and possibly others), "So tell me what happened to the Foaming Mug."
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2017-11-24 at 12:47 PM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

23. - Top - End - #233

"Oh, you heard about that? I was out of town that night, so most of what I can tell you is second-hand."

The others are walking inside as Bertrand begins the tale. "That was a terrible night. The Mug was an old inn owned by a Mr. and Mrs. Willard. They were a nice couple, and their brews were decent - but not as good as mine, you understand, but decent. It was about a year ago, on a dark and stormy night. The Mug was closed and shuttered up, from what I hear. Belba Clefton-" Arco remembers this as the name of the winemaker "-was strolling by when he heard the sounds of a struggle. He said he saw some figures crawling into the Mug from the top windows. So he runs to the center of town raising a great ruckus, sounding the alarm, and the good citizens of the town grabbed their pitchforks and hoes and such and went to the Willards' defense.

"There was a great fight, but most people couldn't even see who the intruders were, it was so dark, you understand. The only detail everyone could agree on was the wretched smell that seemed to come from the intruders. Well at some point someone must have knocked over the lantern 'cause soon the whole place was on fire, and the Mug being such an old building, it didn't last long.

Both of the Willards died, along with both of the Cleftons' grown sons. Gwen -she's one of my serving girls- and her brother were orphaned on that night too.So much death in one night, and we aren't even sure what did it, although personally I think it was orcs - maybe even the same ones you went after this morning. It was the attack on the Mug that inspired Mayor Zackary to organize a town guard.

Rebuild? No, the most people avoid the place. Some say the smell from the attack still lingers, or that the property is cursed. It's just as well; with trade dropping off, we don't really need a second inn in town, you understand.
    "
    Last edited by shamgar001; 2017-12-05 at 12:07 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

After greeting his companions with a simple nod, Arco becomes spellbound by the tale. Visions of the night flow through his imagination as he listens intently to Bertrand. He instantly concludes that more needs to be known about Belba Clefton, Gwen, and her brother.

With a shrug he smiles at Bertrand and says, "Orcs aren't well known for stealthy attacks, I doubt it was them. Still, interesting that it became the impetus for the Mayor to establish a city watch. Anybody ever talk about rebuilding it?"

He looks around the faces of his companions and adds, "More people to speak with, and the list of topics to discuss continues to grow. I have some hours before the process of analysis is complete on the wine, and the rest needs no supervision."

Focusing on Karn, he asks, "How was your visit to the friends of the family?"
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karn listens to the tale of the Mug as it had been referred to as. Apparently more to this town is happening than is what is being told...and a lot is being told. They seemed to arrive at a time when the town could be close to unraveling at the seems. He hoped that his past issues would be not plague him while they were here, they picked up enough to deal with for now.

"It was interesting to say the least." Karn starts as he takes a swig of the ale in front of him.

"Sven, the husband, was blank as if speaking and acting only from memory not to what was in front of him. Margaret, my sister-in-law, didn't seem to recognize me at first but gave a shake and then knew who I was. Also took her a minute to react to me asking her the name of her sister. She....she just seemed off from last I saw her is the best way I could put it."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryendan View Post
    Karn listens to the tale of the Mug as it had been referred to as. Apparently more to this town is happening than is what is being told...and a lot is being told. They seemed to arrive at a time when the town could be close to unraveling at the seems. He hoped that his past issues would be not plague him while they were here, they picked up enough to deal with for now.

"It was interesting to say the least." Karn starts as he takes a swig of the ale in front of him.

"Sven, the husband, was blank as if speaking and acting only from memory not to what was in front of him. Margaret, my sister-in-law, didn't seem to recognize me at first but gave a shake and then knew who I was. Also took her a minute to react to me asking her the name of her sister. She....she just seemed off from last I saw her is the best way I could put it."
    Arco listens intently as each word spoken by Karn deepens a slight frown into a scowl, "Sounds like there could be magical influence afoot." He lowers his voice so that only his companions can hear and adds, "Enchanting magic specifically, charm spell of some kind most likely. Another clue to the veracity of this mad druid."

He drinks the remainder of his mug and shrugs, "I've got a few hours free, so what next? Temple, Mayor, somewhere else?"
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Grovski step in: " The mayor is Zackary Ormond if my informations are correct. It's a knight who was friends with my parents. Maybe he could have answers for us? "

28. - Top - End - #238

With no objections, the group makes its way to the mayor's house. It isn't hard to find, being the largest house in the village and perched on a hill overlooking the lake. The house is in excellent repair and has been recently whitewashed. Well-manicured rose bushes grow in front of the raised and covered porch on the front side of the house. The party approached the front door and Grovski makes use of the heavy iron knocker. A tall, bald butler with broad shoulders opens the door.

"Good day, gentlemen. Do you wish to visit with Mayor Ormond?"

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gryndel View Post
    Anybody ever talk about rebuilding it?"
    This was never answered when Arco asked Bertrand about the Foaming Mug.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Grovski step foward: " Yes, we came to see him. Is that possible? "