New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 29 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns [IC]

A few days ago, you were prisoners in the infamous Branderscar Prison, from which no one had escaped. With the covert assistance of a mysterious, beautiful woman named Tiadora, who told you that she represented someone who wanted to meet you, you became the first to escape, bringing with you an ogre named Grumblejack who had been imprisoned as well.

At the remote manor house where Tiadora directed you to come to find her and her mysterious patron, you met him: a handsome, surprisingly young-looking man who introduced himself as Cardinal Adrastus Thorn, last High Priest of Hextor in Talingarde. Like you, he bore the brand of a condemned prisoner. He offered you power and vengeance if you would swear an oath, in blood, to serve him in the destruction of Talingarde. Seeing little choice--it seemed certain that he would kill you out of hand if you refused--you agreed.

Spoiler: the text of the oath
    Show

After that, the Cardinal told you, "Tiadora will lead you to the basement of this domicile. There you will find nine chambers each more dangerous than the last. Somewhere hidden within these chambers is a pendant of silver and sapphire. Recover the pendant and bring it to me. Let nothing and no one stand in your way."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns [IC]

Seva

"Hextor's will be done, Master.
    We will return with the pendant."
    Seva is, perhaps, eager to prove herself after the failure of being captured.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

After signing...

A moment, milord. Might I take a moment to read this twice over?

She takes a seat in the floor with her knees to the side, awaiting a better look at the small text.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilnesh takes a moment to scan the document -

"I agree with the terms as stated. Let us begin, so our trial may be over." He glances over at the rest of the party, taking a moment to take them all in. A look of unease comes over him, but he speaks no more.
    The moon sees nothing of this. She is bald and wild.
    And the message of the yew tree is blackness - blackness and silence.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Seva

Seva is a fairly tall woman, with a solid build. She is wearing a plain but well maintained breastplate over unremarkable traveling clothes. She has a martial air to her, though her holy symbol marks her as a cleric of Hextor.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Vosnak studies the contract, memorizing it, then hands it back. While the others read it the psion's mind silently discusses with his psicrystal at the base of his neck about the near and long term consequences. Long term was a relative thing. For the others long term was decades at best. For him as an elan it could be much much longer. The others didn't know that, and had no need to know.

His thoughts moved on to the immediate situation. Nine chambers below this manor. Each more dangerous than the last. Sounds like the death mazes he had read various accounts of in the library. Each was very different so the details weren't very helpful. The key point normally consisted of distractions to conceal where the real death would come from.

"Shall we have a quick meal before we see if we can solve the puzzles down below without losing some of our number?"

Vosnak will bring a wineskin and some of the more portable food with him, for snacking on later.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeyne

The girl had not spoken much since your escape. She was armed with a mundane crossbow and a dagger. She wore no armor and stood quietly observing the party to see everyone's reaction to signing the document. She had signed the document so quickly you're not sure if she even read it.

Oddly, she now wore a silver holy symbol of Pelor.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-08-26 at 12:40 AM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I hold no secret as I return the document.

I suppose I agree. To the basement, then?

I look to Ilnesh and make a subtle head gesture, suggesting "after you."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The dark skinned man nods, a slight frown spreading across his face. He pats down his leather armor, looking around for a way down to the basement.

"I'd love to, but I'm not exactly sure where we're going... "
    Last edited by Hypersmith; 2017-08-26 at 10:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

The six of you descend a set of stone stairs, through an archway and into an unfurnished chamber beyond. Inscribed upon the archway in the common tongue is: “Deception is a tool. Self-deception is death. Deceive always your enemy but never yourself.” The room beyond is lit by a small oil lantern hanging from the center of the chamber. There is only one door visible, in the east wall.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Map. You're all on the stairs until you say otherwise.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Seva

Are any of you skilled in finding traps? I can offer some small divine aid in resisting any negative effects in the room - to one person.

12. - Top - End - #12

Vosnak

"Finding traps? No. Once one is found I may be of help." He holds up the ring on his necklace that is shining, drawing attention to the words on the archway. 'I've read about these types of mazes. Each one is so different from each other. Few have warnings though. I would take heed to it. 'Deceive always your enemy but never yourself.' Here, we are the enemy. Expect to be deceived. We have no time limit so far, so let's use extreme patience and caution."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilnesh

"I've some experience in finding and removing traps - although I don't see why we would be the enemy in this case.
    There is a short pause, in which Ilnesh descends to the edge of the stairs, and lightly touches the bricks, keeping a sharp eye out for a reaction. "Even so, I can't imagine we would be wrapped into such a contract then simply allowed to walk through an empty room."
    Last edited by Hypersmith; 2017-08-26 at 10:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Vosnak

"Relative to these chambers we are the enemy. Our host did say each chamber is more dangerous than the last."

Show
    Sarin the psicrystal is on my shoulder and on the lookout with it's sight (XPH p22):
    "can telepathically sense its environment as well as a creature with normal vision and hearing. Darkness (even supernatural darkness) is irrelevant, as are areas of supernatural silence, though the psicrystal still can't discern invisible or ethereal beings." Sighted range is 40'.

Vosnak is psionically focused.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Seva

Seva addresses Ilnesh, "If you will be looking for trickery, allow me to offer you some small protection."

Spoiler
    Show
    If Ilnesh agrees, she will cast Conviction on him. +2 to all saves for 2 minutes.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

You all seem so certain that this room is filled with traps. We are guests here, asked to retrieve some trinket. Why delay any longer?

Show
    Persuasion roll to lead or follow? (1d20+9)[27]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilnesh

Looks up at the semi-plated woman. "I don't see why we should rush. Even if there is no danger, I would prefer to make sure." he shifts to face Seva. "I would appreciate some protection from whatever there may be, but if each chamber increases the danger,
    perhaps you would prefer to hold off for a more dire moment.
    With that, Ilnesh slowly trails a hand on the ground, head turning and looking for oddities, holes in the walls, or other indicators of traps.

Show

Perception roll (search) for traps. (1d20+3)[17]

18. - Top - End - #18

Vosnak raises an eyebrow at the heavily armored human. "Really, why delay?" The question is asked as if from an older instructor full of knowledge to a student, yet the one asking looks to be in his early 20s. "We're told there are dangers in each room, we don't see any yet, so you assume there is no danger? Perhaps too hard a hit to your head while sparring? If you are inclined to die so quickly why bother leaving Branderscar in the first place? I'd suggest letting Ilnesh do his thing and be ready to protect him if need be, since he seems to be the only one of us with such skills." Vosnak gives a nod of encouragement to Ilnesh.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeyne

The girl has her crossbow out, alert, and seemingly ignoring the conversation, but starts laughing politely after Vosnak speaks.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-08-27 at 12:13 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Seva

"Very well." She readies her flail instead of magic, in case the threat isn't something built into the room.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Sictona just smiles and waits for her cohort to finish with his... looking.

22. - Top - End - #22

Ilnesh sees nothing out of place.

Spoiler
    Show
    As a general note, you can take 20 on searching if you want; it takes two minutes per square searched.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilnesh
    Grunts lightly, and takes a tentative step forward towards the center of the room, treading lightly.
    "I don't see any issue at a glance, but I'm going to inspect the room thoroughly."

Show

stepping onto D4, gonna take that suggestion to take 20 on the search, looking through blocks E4-I4 for a total of 10 minutes.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

With a playful tone:

Well, while he is busy... I'm Sictona. Friends call me Sic, though. I'm not entirely sure why.

25. - Top - End - #25

Spoiler: Ilnesh
    Show
    The floor at H4 shifts more than it should when you put weight on it. You suspect a trapdoor.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilnesh
    A grin slowly spreads across the face of the man midstep. He leans back, raising a hand to catch the attention of the rest.
    Seems our new entourage was right to be cautious Sictona. Make sure you follow exactly where I step - and don't fall for this trap.
    He prods the trapped section of the floor with his foot, then turns back to focus on getting to the other side of the room. As he works, he speaks.
    You may call me Ilnesh. Better to go by nesh in public.
    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show

Going to work my way around the trapdoor towards the door far end, taking 20 for H5 then I.

27. - Top - End - #27

The psion lightens up too. "I'm Vosnak. I'm guessing our various skills will be needed at some point down here. We'll just have to be patient."

Once Ilnesh moves into the room a bit, Vosnak moves in, staying to where Ilnesh had already searched. His magical light gives a steadier light than the torch above. He starts to take a seat on the floor but then Ilnesh finds the trap and Vosnak holds still. "Nicely done." He takes a knee at the edge of the trap, trying to get a glimmer of the signs of a trap that Ilnesh had found while the rogue continues his search.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Spoiler: Ilnesh
    Show
    You determine that the trapdoor takes up the floor in H4, H5, I4, and I5.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Seva

Seva enters the room, staying back a bit to let the experts work, flail at the ready in case the trap is just a distraction, "I am Seva. I am a servant of Hextor."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilnesh

"Well, this really is an easy start. The area in front of the eastern door is a trapdoor. About ten by ten. I'm fairly certain I can leap across, but I don't know about the rest of you. Perhaps a rope? Or a way to jam the hinge of the trapdoor, make it a little easier to cross."

He gently drums his fingers along his thigh as he speaks, slowly pivoting to look at everyone in the group.