New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns [IC]

Vosnak

"No signs of an adversary. The room is the same size as the others. Doors to the left and across. In the middle is a pedestal with some kind of globe on it. If there are traps in there they'll be difficult to detect."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilnesh tuts as he looks at the eerily black wall, sliding his dagger away. "I don't know how well I can navigate and search for traps without being able to see. Maybe now is the time for some magic?"
    The moon sees nothing of this. She is bald and wild.
    And the message of the yew tree is blackness - blackness and silence.

3. - Top - End - #123

"Let's try this magic first." Vosnak takes his simple silk necklace off and holds the attached magically glowing ring into the darkness, ready to pull back his hand back if Sarin alerts him.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

"Is the globe made of glass?" The small girl asks.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+11)[18] spellcraft to determine what she thinks it is.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

5. - Top - End - #125
    Colossus in the Playground

To Sarin, the globe appears to be solid and black.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Seva

"If one of you has something you can shoot the globe with - if you can hit it - that might be a start. I have a couple javelins, but even using detect magic to locate it it might be tricky. It sounds like we might need fire immediately after shattering it though."

7. - Top - End - #127

"Can't shoot what we can't see short of a lucky shot. Sarin can help me guide someone to the pedestal to smash it. I and Jeyne have fire to attack whatever follows. I'm told the globe looks solid. Probably needs a solid hit."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    When someone goes, assume I'm guiding them via Sarin's help.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128

Vosnak's ring does not illuminate the darkness; as his hand moves into the room its light is extinguished.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeyne

Jeyne points her heavy crossbow aiming at what she imagines is the center of the room and fires her heavy crossbow.

The recoil takes her by surprise and she comically screams as the crossbow slams into her ribcage and then drops the crossbow on the ground.

Embarrassed she picks up the crossbow and hands it to Ilnesh, "Perhaps you'd be a better shot."

Spoiler
    Show

Heavy Crossbow (1d20-1)[11] vs AC ?? and (1d100)[14] (low misses) for concealment for (1d10)[4] points of damage.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-09-18 at 10:49 AM.
    Camel's Handbook

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilnesh winces as Jeyne drops the crossbow. He accepts it from her when she offers, accompanied by a single nod. With a steadying breath he hefts the crossbow to shoulder level, firing towards the center of the room with little delay.

Show

(1d20+6)[20] vs AC (1d100)[40] for concealment and (1d10)[4] for damage.
    Last edited by Hypersmith; 2017-09-18 at 07:56 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have 18 more bolts." Jeyne says giving another one to Ilnesh.
    Camel's Handbook

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll give it one or two more shots. No need to waste crossbow fire." Again, Ilnesh aligns the crossbow and takes a shot into the black chamber, listening for the telltale difference in sound.
    Show
    (1d20+6)[13] and for darkness (1d100)[24] and damage is (1d10)[8]
    Last edited by Hypersmith; 2017-09-18 at 08:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeyne shrugs while handing him another, "They don't always break. The crossbow is for show anyway, I think it was obvious I've never fired one before."

Spoiler: Break Chance
    Show

(1d100)[12]
    (1d100)[58]
    (1d100)[65]

Low is broken.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-09-18 at 08:13 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

"Again." An edge of frustration is Ilnesh's voice as he takes his third shot.
    Show
    Attack [ROLL]1d20+6-4[/ROLL] (Heavy crossbow, rogues are not proficient in. My mistake on the earlier rolls, they should all be at a -4 penalty) Concealment (1d100)[44] and damage (1d10)[3]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilnesh reaches for a handful of bolts, firing over and over into the room. He furrows his brow with frustration at the earlier missed shots.

Show

Here we go....
    Attack1: (1d20+6)[8] Concealment (1d100)[67] Damage (1d10)[4] and breaking (1d100)[21]
    Attack2: (1d20+6)[7] Concealment (1d100)[90] Damage (1d10)[5] and breaking (1d100)[68]
    Attack3: (1d20+6)[17] Concealment (1d100)[3] Damage (1d10)[4] and breaking (1d100)[53]
    Attack4: (1d20+6)[25] Concealment (1d100)[82] Damage (1d10)[7] and breaking (1d100)[83]
    Attack5: (1d20+6)[11] Concealment (1d100)[98] Damage (1d10)[1] and breaking (1d100)[21]
    Attack6: (1d20+6)[18] Concealment (1d100)[37] Damage (1d10)[7] and breaking (1d100)[84]
    Attack7: (1d20+6)[26] Concealment (1d100)[8] Damage (1d10)[6] and breaking (1d100)[96]
    Attack8: (1d20+6)[10] Concealment (1d100)[34] Damage (1d10)[4] and breaking (1d100)[26]
    Attack9: (1d20+6)[26] Concealment (1d100)[77] Damage (1d10)[5] and breaking (1d100)[2]
    Attack10: (1d20+6)[20] Concealment (1d100)[90] Damage (1d10)[7] and breaking (1d100)[17]

16. - Top - End - #136

Vosnak did a little shake of his head in disbelief of what they were trying. Even with the verbal guidance from Sarin through him they could have a hundred bolts and end up with the same results.

"The target is a solid sphere. Even if you get lucky enough it will probably just ricochet off of it. Sic and Seva have the best weapons to deal with that. I don't believe there will be a trap between here and the pedestal. It wouldn't fit the theme. I suggest Sic goes and shatters it while we are ready to deal with the second phase. I can direct you to the sphere as you go and keep an eye out for anyting coming at you."

Show
    Was trying to get my post in before all the extra shots. Argh.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeyne shrugs, "We almost hit it that last time, she said hopefully, "Let's just hit it once and see what it does. The heavy crossbow utilizes an incredible amount of force. If we land a straight blow, it might not deflect off."

Spoiler
    Show

I'm assuming that the first time Ilnesh lands a shot we will stop and see what happens and determine if it did anything.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-09-18 at 09:20 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

Ixe: «sighing» "I will go forward. Please hold your fire. If I should meet with disaster, I trust that you will drag me back upstairs? Excellent."

Without waiting for feedback, Ixe strides forward, and is enveloped by the magical darkness. He gently waves his staff back and forth in front of him, tapping on the floor, the way that a blind man might do.

If he should reach the pedestal without incident, he carefully reaches up, groping for the globe, and lifting it off its base.

Quote Originally Posted by Jopustopin View Post
    Man all of us posting at the same time is really messing up the flow of the play by post. Assume this post is before Ixe's post #140 as a way to explain why Ixe didn't enter the shadow.

Jeyne: The small girl suddenly grabs Ixe's arm softly as he's about to enter the darkness, "Wait... have faith in me as I had faith in you."

With the next shot ending the darkness Jeyne lets go of Ixe's arm, and smiles at him warmly.
    Last edited by Ixe; 2017-09-19 at 01:09 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

The seventh crossbow bolt finally strikes the globe, which smashes. With it in pieces, your light sources illuminate the room in front of you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Map is updated.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Ixe turns to Seva. With an oddly out-of-place formal bow, he says: "You may have the honor of leading the way. If danger should arise, We will do my best to take cov... I mean, to take care of you."
    Last edited by Ixe; 2017-09-19 at 01:10 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeyne

The small girl suddenly grabs Ixe's arm softly as he's about to enter the darkness, "Wait... have faith in me as I had faith in you."

With the next shot ending the darkness Jeyne lets go of Ixe's arm, and smiles at him warmly.

Spoiler
    Show

Man all of us posting at the same time is really messing up the flow of the play by post. Assume this post is before Ixe's post #140 as a way to explain why Ixe didn't enter the shadow.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-09-19 at 12:16 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

The small girl suddenly grabs Ixe's arm softly as he's about to enter the darkness, "Wait... have faith in me as I had faith in you." With the next shot ending the darkness Jeyne lets go of Ixe's arm, and smiles at him warmly.
    Ixe looks very confused at first, unsure of how to react. After a few moments, though, he haltingly returns her smile. "I do have faith in you... strange as it may seem, I do... Lady Jeyne." The emphasis is on the word Lady. Ixe then congratulates Ilnesh: "Nice shot."

(( I know, but I love the game so much. I check it multiple times per day on my days off and I would do so every day if I had the time. This is my only campaign that I'm in right now, I look forward to its continuing development! ))
    Last edited by Ixe; 2017-09-19 at 07:05 PM. Reason: It was Ilnesh firing the crossbow, not Jeyne

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilnesh raises an eyebrow at the necromancer as he offers Jeyne her crossbow again. "You have an odd definition of a good shot Ixe."
    Last edited by Hypersmith; 2017-09-19 at 12:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Seva

"Now that there is light, I'm happy to lead the way - but we should probably check for traps first and someone should perhaps be ready with the fire."

Seva will indeed step in first, if Ilnesh wants to do the honors of checking for traps right inside the room.

25. - Top - End - #145

Vosnak grins. "Short of being exhausted for the day, I'm always ready with fire, cold, electricity, and sonic. If Jeyne can set them on fire I may be able to ensure they keep burning."

"The curiosity is who or what is our adversary? We've made plenty of noise so it's invisible or waiting out of sight. Coming through one of those doors or a secret door? Perhaps stepping on a spot to release it? If so I'd guess it to be near the pedestal or one of the other doors."
    It's an intellectual puzzle that has him more intrigued than the probable threat of death in there. A product of too much time reading in the library and not really having faced the real thing yet. He does have Sarin to keep watch, who is always vigilant.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilnesh nods, the beginnings of mirth twisting his lips into a smile. "As Vosnak said, so far the rooms have followed their themes. I doubt there are any traps to hinder us here, but I will check the doorways." Ilnesh strides to the northern doorway and begins searching it over for traps, careful not to step on the fragments of the shattered orb.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Doing my thing, taking 20. (23)

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeyne

While they are talking she reloads the heavy crossbow and then follows five feet behind Ilnesh. She holds her crossbow but you can tell she's keeping her casting hand free while she moves through the room.
    Camel's Handbook

28. - Top - End - #148

As Ilnesh steps into the room, a shadow emerges from the south wall and flies at him. "LIFE ENERGY TO CONSUME," it hums bizarrely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shadow attacks Ilnesh, incorporeal: (1d20+3)[4] Critical threat check: (1d20+3)[11] Damage: (1d6)[2] Strength damage Critical damage: (1d6)[2] Strength damage

>> Sictona [19]
    >> Jeyne [19]
    Shadow [16]
    Seva [15]
    Ilnesh [12]
    Vosnak [7]
    Ixe [7]

After being surprised by the shadow, Sictona and Jeyne can act before it acts again. Map is updated.
    Last edited by Kish; 2017-09-21 at 01:50 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeyne

Jeyne, who had been following Illnesh thought she had been ready. But she wasn't looking for shadows. As it flew across the room at Illnesh she was already preparing her spell. With a quick arcane utterance she flourished her hands and for a split second nothing happened.

"Consume this.", she said simply as a torrent of flame burst forth from her hands.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to M14
    Cast: Burning Hands Cone (Affects N15, N16, N17, O15, O16, P15)

Fire Damage: (2d4+4)[8] DC 14 for half
    Camel's Handbook

30. - Top - End - #150

"Hiding IN the wall, didn't think of that." A brief low, bass pitched hum is heard. A small ball of fire appears in front of Vosnak's forehead then it zips at the shadow.

Show
    Move to L15 then use Energy Ray (Fire) at it. Spend 1PP.
    Ranged Touch attack (1d20+2)[20]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]
    Miss on a 1: (1d2)[1]

AC: 17
    AC vs incorporeal: 15
    PP remaining: 12
    Last edited by Cavir; 2017-09-22 at 01:11 PM.
    Show