New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: XCOM 2 is on sale 60% off...

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Yes, mobility is king.

And dear god the hunter just zips around like crazy. if you are fighting on anyhting that ins't a flatland, he'll be flanking you practically non-stop with his grapple moves. the AI really knows how to make sue of them to continuously rotate good cover and good shooting lines in a way most your troops will simply never manage to keep up.

Honestly, I think the best advantage of the "lost and abandoned" mission is not only you get two factions without much hassle (mox is really easy to grab), but the fact you get the assassin as your assured first chosen.
    Sure, she hurts. but going invis is the only real trick up her sleeve, and that is easy to counter with good positioning.
    But the hunter? he's so godamn mobile. he is so good at shooting he gets a lot of hits even against full cover from large distances. he's a sharpshooter and a skrimisher fused.
    And the warlock-easy mind control, and the possilibity to throw multiples?! you know how crazy it is to try to kill him with a four-man squad, when two of them are mind controlled?!
    Huh, I found the reverse to be true. The Hunter's sniper ability is easy to dodge by moving out of his line of sight and his Tranq darts deal no damage. His Dazing grenade is probably the most dangerous, but even that doesn't deal damage.

Warlock is legit scary though. I'm very fortunate to not have had him as my opening Chosen yet.

Started a new campaign, and now I crash on the first Guerilla Op. Crap. I don't even know what changed, I played for hours today without changing my mod loadout. Time to start uninstalling mods I guess to see if I can find the culprit, maybe even reinstall the game.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

So far I have 12 characters in my pool. I need more but I am running out of unique ideas. Any good WotC character pools you can recommend?

Edit: It clicked for me and I have a few more I have inspiration for. I am really pleased with all of them; they are all "serious" and Lore Friendly. yet look cool.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2017-09-02 at 02:55 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Huh, I found the reverse to be true. The Hunter's sniper ability is easy to dodge by moving out of his line of sight and his Tranq darts deal no damage. His Dazing grenade is probably the most dangerous, but even that doesn't deal damage.

Warlock is legit scary though. I'm very fortunate to not have had him as my opening Chosen yet.

Started a new campaign, and now I crash on the first Guerilla Op. Crap. I don't even know what changed, I played for hours today without changing my mod loadout. Time to start uninstalling mods I guess to see if I can find the culprit, maybe even reinstall the game.

Yea, his sniper ability is lame.

When he give up on tricks and just starts shooting you normally, that's where you get into trouble. because he's REALLY good at it.

And most mods causes crashes now. if the mod doesnt say WotC compatible, take it off. even if its just a voice mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Yea, his sniper ability is lame.

When he give up on tricks and just starts shooting you normally, that's where you get into trouble. because he's REALLY good at it.

And most mods causes crashes now. if the mod doesnt say WotC compatible, take it off. even if its just a voice mod.
    Mine all auto-disabled when WotC was released, and I never re-enabled them. I only use new mods designed for WotC.

I finally fixed my problem by completely uninstalling all mods. I'm not terribly keen on going through one by one to find out which was the problem, especially since the handful of mods I had active while crashing had been there for the entirety of my previous playthrough (in which I was just hitting Major rank, to give an idea of how far in I was).

I'm mystified that it suddenly broke so comprehensively. At least I can play through modless?

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

My Map mods appear to work without CTD, at least.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Just ragequit for the first time in a while. But after missing an 86% chance shot, followed by an 84% chance shot, followed by a point blank 91% chance shot, against a freaking LOST....can you really blame me?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Just ragequit for the first time in a while. But after missing an 86% chance shot, followed by an 84% chance shot, followed by a point blank 91% chance shot, against a freaking LOST....can you really blame me?
    The odds against that happening are only about 500 to 1, though, and considering how often you shoot in an XCom game, you have to accept that something similar will happen every now and again.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The odds against that happening are only about 500 to 1, though, and considering how often you shoot in an XCom game, you have to accept that something similar will happen every now and again.
    Sure, but try telling that to my rage.

9. - Top - End - #99

Hello Rodin's Rage. I know that you are going through a difficult time right now and that you are feeling very angry. But you have to understand that the RNG is not doing this to hurt you...
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    But you have to understand that the RNG is not doing this to hurt you...
    Yes. Yes it is RNG is just an extension of inanimate objects - a physical manifestation of the inherent malevolence of the universe itself. RNG, just like inanimate objects, harbours an impossibly deep, quiet but boundless hatred for each and every one of us and would like nothing more than to see everything fail. Whether X-Com, Pokémon or EUIV or anything else, it's all the same RNG, driven by the same bile-filled deep-seated loathing of everything to wreak as much misery as it can. RNG makes cats look positively beveolent. If RNG could find a way to urinate into your shoes - while you are wearing them - forever, it would. Just because it likes to make you suffer.

RNG is very almost nearly as bad as humans or vampires, put it that way.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-09-02 at 09:41 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I love the Orwellian description of RNG being "Imagine a cat urinating in your boots...forever."

Apparently 1 in 500 is about right for the odds on that - I calculated against three 85% successes, and came up with a 0.33% chance of it happening. Mine was actually slightly more unlikely than that since there was a 91% chance thrown in there, but that would require more math than I was willing to do. :P

Meanwhile, a 1 in 500 is around a .2% chance of occurring.

Even with thousands upon thousands of shots, that still feels bad. At least I'm not on Ironman this game!

I may just take a break until tomorrow anyway - supposedly the first version of A Better Advent will hit tomorrow. The creator's initial plans of doing a quick conversion got tossed when he found out just how nasty the expansion was to mods, and he's having to essentially build the mod back up from scratch. Still, even a basic build with all the Advent trooper variants will be very welcome.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeez.

Came out of an Advent retaliation mission where I triggered all of these pods on the same turn:

Muton + Berserker Queen
    2 Mutons + Berserker
    Advanced Trooper + Advanced Purifier
    Faceless

Ended up losing Jaime "Kingslayer" Lannister (Squaddie ranger) and Randy "Macho Man" Savage (Captain Sharpshooter) that battle. They were standing next to each other at low health when a Muton threw a grenade at them. Helluvan epic battle, though.

Yeah, I messed with the character pool some.
    Last edited by Vitruviansquid; 2017-09-02 at 09:41 PM.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Yay! I have to wait to play because of another bug I got! This one existed in XCOM too:

The Spontaniously Uninstall Itself bug.
    Was messing around creating characters last night. Then I turned the game off and went to bed.
    This morning the game was uninstalled.
    Luckily enough the character pool bin file was still there so I made a backup of it and am now re-downloading the game.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Avilan you seriously need to virus-check your computer, because you are running into more bugs than everyone I know that has the game combined, and I've never even heard ANY game uninstalling itself.

Vitruviansquid, running into THAT and just losing two troopers? what difficulty are you on?

2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Avilan you seriously need to virus-check your computer, because you are running into more bugs than everyone I know that has the game combined, and I've never even heard ANY game uninstalling itself.
    Apparently that is not XCOM specific. It's apparently can happen with any Steam game. It's very uncommon though.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, I think your computer's haunted. Probably best to light your whole workstation on fire, and start over.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Vitruviansquid, running into THAT and just losing two troopers? what difficulty are you on?
    I was playing on Commander.

There was a little bit of luck involved, with 2 Mutons opting to suppress rather than shoot/grenade/bayonet when they might've caused further casualties, and a lot of backpedaling away from the berserker. I managed to kill the Berserker Queen within the first full round of my actions because she was down to about a third of her health from previous engagements.
    Last edited by Vitruviansquid; 2017-09-03 at 02:19 PM.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    First impressions about Wizard Of The Coast (WotC):
    (Seriously, youngsters using WotC as the abbreviation of War Of The Fallen always translates to Wizard Of The Coast for an oldtimer like me)
    Im glad im not the only one who's mind auto reads that as Wizards of the Coast

I picked the Expac up today and am enjoying it mostly apart from the total game freeze that happens almost every time a Covert Op is selected, typically i can put one solider in the mission slot then it freezes and i have to terminate the process (and sometimes steam)
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Apparently that is not XCOM specific. It's apparently can happen with any Steam game. It's very uncommon though.
    I once had the reverse, where Baldur's Gate I & II just upped and removed themselves from my system (files and all), despite claiming to be still be installed. That was years ago and it might simply have been the sign of a failing hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Im glad im not the only one who's mind auto reads that as Wizards of the Coast
    Spot the D&D players in the room, eh?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Spot the D&D players in the room, eh?
    Or Magic: The Gathering players.

Damnit, Michael Dorn. You're not playing Worf anymore, stop missing all your shots!

21. - Top - End - #111

In regards to Games "uninstalling" I have had it happen to me with Warframe and the same has happened to two people i play with, one who has had it happen multiple times. As far as we can tell the game files are still there but steam stops acknowledging that they exist and insists on re downloading them.
    Last edited by Leon; 2017-09-04 at 07:44 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Or Magic: The Gathering players.
    Well, yes, but given the nature of these forums, I figured that my option was far more likely.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

In my experience, there is a large overlap between the two groups.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

In regards to Games "uninstalling" I have had it happen to me with Warframe and the same has happened to two people i play with, one who has had it happen multiple times. As far as we can tell the game files are still there but steam stops acknowledging that they exist and insists on re downloading them.
    Indeed. The reinstall was just 5 minutes of discovering files already on the drive.

Damnit, Michael Dorn. You're not playing Worf anymore, stop missing all your shots!
    Hehe. If I win this playthru I will do another on Iron man. Right now I don't want to because I still do stupid mistakes like clicking too fast so I jump thru a window by mistake.

I am ashamed to say I reloaded this morning because I managed to block a tile for myself so I couldn't complete a mission.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2017-09-04 at 08:47 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

I must say I actually liked the first mission with the lost. It was easy enough and a lot of skill points were earned.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

For all the unimaginativeness of "alien zombies", I find the Lost do add a lot to the game. They add a lot of chaos to firefights and are just the right amount of dangerous. You can't ignore them otherwise you'll get swarmed under, but the ADVENT forces are much likelier to kill one of your soldiers if you don't target them first. Targeting the aliens first may not be feasible, while the Lost are generally easy targets (unless you're me).

It leads to some funny scenarios as well - I've seen a Sectoid kill a Lost that had approached to melee with it, then use the free action to raise it as a zombie. Then the rest of the Lost swarmed it under and killed it, instantly dropping the zombie as well.

27. - Top - End - #117

Hehe. If I win this playthru I will do another on Iron man. Right now I don't want to because I still do stupid mistakes like clicking too fast so I jump thru a window by mistake.
    Silly mistakes aside i don't do Ironman in X2 as there far to many bugs that will cause you to have things happen to your forces that you cant do anything about, played Ironman extensively in X1 but it was much more stable. Example: Snek grabs trooper and both vanish into the ground becoming immune to damage/aid, exit one solider who will be slowly squished to death (Grab alone is why i use the Mod that stops it from happening when in full cover)

Also found out what was causing my Covert Ops freezes ~ it was some interaction between the new Anti ransomware feature of Avast and the Docs folder where Xcom stores things like photobooth images and Portraits
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

In the first game I was in love with the snipers.
    In XCOM2 I am favoring the Rangers, I think.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh, if we're counting that, then it happens to me all the time. I store many games on an external drive, and whenever my computer is on, with the drive unplugged, the next time I try to load those games Steam gets confused.
    I'm not sure if that's your issue, but it might be worth investigating.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

30. - Top - End - #120

In the first game I was in love with the snipers.
    In XCOM2 I am favoring the Rangers, I think.
    Rangers are indeed fantastic. Snipers still awesome, though.
    Resident Vancian Apologist