New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Hunter’s Mercy in Pathfinder?

There were two versions of the Hunter’s Mercy spell in 3.X, one in Magic of Faerûn and one in the Spell Compendium. Does Pathfinder have anything like either of those?

And if not, which version should I use in my game?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hunter’s Mercy in Pathfinder?

I'd recommend buying a Pendant of the Blood Scarab.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Magic of Faerûn
    Show
    Hunter's Mercy

Transmutation
    Level: Ranger 1, Consecrated Harrier 1,
    Components: V, S,
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: See text

This transmutation makes a bow strike true. Your next attack with the bow (if it is made before the end of the next round) hits and automatically threatens a critical hit. If you don't hit in the round following the casting of this spell, the effect is wasted.

Spoiler: Spell Compendium
    Show
    Hunter's Mercy

Transmutation
    Level: Ranger 1,
    Components: S,
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round

Your eyes glow red, but you see the world as normal except when you look at your target. A small glowing dot reveals the creature's weakest point.

This transmutation makes a bow strike true. Your first hit with a bow (not including crossbows) in the next round is automatically a critical hit. If you don't hit in the round following the casting of this spell, the effect is wasted.

The magic of faerun one I feel is better since it does not exclude crossbows.

basically you spend a standard action to automatically threaten a critical on your next successful cast within a round with a bow or cross bow. Sounds Pretty balanced to me. Its a nice way to initiate a combat in an ambush but not really worth it as you could just shoot them with multiple attacks in the round you spent casting the spell.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

A bow's a bow, not a crossbow, so the MoF version doesn't explicitly include crossbows either, though. If you're going to houserule it in anyway, I'd just change it to something like "Your next successful ranged attack is automatically a critical hit." along the way and be done with it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

That would be very dangerous wording as it would then apply to all ranged attacks, including plenty of spell attacks that would much more greatly benefit from an auto-crit than a weapon attach might.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

For me the question is why they felt the need to exclude crossbows in the Spell Compendium version. It clarifies the likely intent of the first version, but why should that be the intention at all? Why leave crossbows out?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    For me the question is why they felt the need to exclude crossbows in the Spell Compendium version. It clarifies the likely intent of the first version, but why should that be the intention at all? Why leave crossbows out?
    It’d be more powerful on a crossbow with the higher crit multiplier, I guess?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

That makes sense; but the version in the Spell Compendium seems to be much stronger, since that version grants an automatic crit, rather than simply guaranteeing a threatened crit.

Is the Spell Compendium version a little too strong because of that? I'm thinking of including this in my Pathfinder campaign, so not sure which version would be better.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The spell compendium version guarantees a critical, not the successfull attack, you still need to hit.

Your first hit with a bow (not including crossbows) in the next round is automatically a critical hit. If you don't hit in the round following the casting of this spell, the effect is wasted

See the wording. 'first hit' and 'if you don't hit..spell wasted' SO you do a hit and it is automatically a critical, no need to roll a successful roll.

also.. balance and 3rd don't mix very well, so try not to reason or use logic on the 'why' behind balance decisions

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diarmuid View Post
    That would be very dangerous wording as it would then apply to all ranged attacks, including plenty of spell attacks that would much more greatly benefit from an auto-crit than a weapon attach might.
    Right you are, didn't think of that. Nothing like being a UMD check away from a metamagic-powered Enervation crit, eh?