New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Nexus & City of Seven Seraphs - A planar metropolis with a new veilweaving cl

Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Was there a particular mechanical reason to dip so far into Nexus? I get taking a level for access to Heaven's Blessing and such (though taking Shape Veil to get it might have been more advantageous) but it seems like you are crippling chakra access for little gain. Just wondering if I'm overlooking something.
    Extra Essence, another +1.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: The Nexus & City of Seven Seraphs - A planar metropolis with a new veilweaving cl

The Lucent has some errors in it's sidebar in the Akashic Trinity release:

• Initiative looks like it should be +3
    • Perception at the top doesn't match skills section
    • Tiny size modifiers absent from attack rolls(+2), stealth(+8), and CMD(-2)
    • Tiny creatures use dex for CMB, so should be a +2 rather than -5
    • Should probably list the Fly skill bonus, which should be +15 from Tiny, Perfect Manuv., and Dex
    • Any reason it has a reach of 5 feet as opposed to 0? It's tiny.
    • What is the level/radius of light emitted from the Lucent?

Also, will there be any Akashic character traits(Regional, Social, etc) in City of 7 Seraphs?

Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by neversterling View Post

• Should probably list the Fly skill bonus, which should be +15 from Tiny, Perfect Manuv., and Dex
    Huh, not sure what happened there. Lucents are basically "baby lantern archons", so they don't have an aura of light (neither do lantern archons). I've got what should be the right stats pasted in below, but I haven't had a chance to double-check this morning so let me know if there's anything missing from these and I'll touch bases with Christen to see if we can push an update.
    Spoiler: Lucents
    Show

Sidebar: Lucents
    Lucents are neutral good outsiders unable to manifest outside of the heavenly realms without being tethered to the essence of a veilweaver or akashic host. Lucents have the following base statistics:

Lucent
    CR 1/4
    XP 100
    NG tiny outsider (akashic, good)
    Init +3; Senses low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft., Perception +6
    DEFENSE
    AC 15, touch 15, flat-footed 12 (+2 size, +3 Dex)
    hp 4 (1d10-1)
    Immune sleep
    Fort -1, Ref +5, Will +2

OFFENSE
    Speed 5 ft., fly 15 ft. (perfect)
    Ranged light blast +6 (1d4+1)
    Space 2-1/2 ft. Reach 0 ft.

STATISTICS
    Str 3, Dex 16, Con 8, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13
    Base Atk +1; CMB +2; CMD 8 (can’t be tripped)
    Feats Alertness
    Skills Acrobatics +4, Fly +15, Knowledge (planes) +3, Perception +6, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +12
    Languages Celestial, understands any language spoken by a veilweaver manifesting it through a veil
    Essence Pool 1
    Special Abilities
    Light Blast (Su): Lucents can fire a ray with a range of 30 ft. that deals 1d4 electricity damage plus the lucent’s Charisma modifier. Lucents can invest essence into their light blast to gain a +1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage per point of essence invested (maximum +5).
    Nimble Flyer (Su): Lucents can invest essence into their fly speed to increase their speed by 5 ft. per point of essence invested.
    Revivify (Su): The lucent can take 1 point of essence burn to release a small burst of positive energy that can be used to heal an adjacent living creature for 1d10 + 1 hit points. The lucent can use this ability a total number of times per day equal to its master’s veilweaving level.

Also, will there be any Akashic character traits(Regional, Social, etc) in City of 7 Seraphs?

Thanks!
    I'm not sure about Co7S, but I know there's more akashic traits in Co7S: Zodiac, which I believe is coming up next (and is not part of the Kickstarter).

4. - Top - End - #274

NecromancerGuy

Thanks!
    Thanks for the catch! We will work on updating the PDF soon.

As for Traits, some of the new planar PC options do have traits that interact with the akashic system or are inclusive. Expect a lot of "if a power, spell, or veil's ability does x add y" sort of thing etc...

5. - Top - End - #275

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AlmaPenzare View Post
    I think I missed my email to the rpgnow/drivethrurpg download for the playtests, is there any other way I can get access to them?
    If you still don't have them email [email protected] with your backer info and we will get you sorted.

6. - Top - End - #276

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    Huh, not sure what happened there. Lucents are basically "baby lantern archons", so they don't have an aura of light (neither do lantern archons). I've got what should be the right stats pasted in below, but I haven't had a chance to double-check this morning so let me know if there's anything missing from these and I'll touch bases with Christen to see if we can push an update.
    Spoiler: Lucents
    Show

Sidebar: Lucents
    Lucents are neutral good outsiders unable to manifest outside of the heavenly realms without being tethered to the essence of a veilweaver or akashic host. Lucents have the following base statistics:

Lucent
    CR 1/4
    XP 100
    NG tiny outsider (akashic, good)
    Init +3; Senses low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft., Perception +15

DEFENSE
    AC 15, touch 15, flat-footed 12 (+2 size, +3 Dex)
    hp 4 (1d10-1)
    Immune sleep
    Fort -1, Ref +5, Will +2

OFFENSE
    Speed 5 ft., fly 15 ft. (perfect)
    Ranged light blast +6 (1d4+1)
    Space 2-1/2 ft. Reach 0 ft.

STATISTICS
    Str 3, Dex 16, Con 8, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13
    Base Atk +1; CMB 0; CMD 8 (can’t be tripped)
    Feats Alertness
    Skills Acrobatics +4, Fly +15, Knowledge (planes) +3, Perception +6, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +11
    Languages Celestial, understands any language spoken by a veilweaver manifesting it through a veil
    Essence Pool 1
    Special Abilities
    Light Blast (Su): Lucents can fire a ray with a range of 30 ft. that deals 1d4 electricity damage plus the lucent’s Charisma modifier. Lucents can invest essence into their light blast to gain a +1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage per point of essence invested (maximum +5).
    Nimble Flyer (Su): Lucents can invest essence into their fly speed to increase their speed by 5 ft. per point of essence invested.
    Revivify (Su): The lucent can take 1 point of essence burn to release a small burst of positive energy that can be used to heal an adjacent living creature for 1d10 + 1 hit points. The lucent can use this ability a total number of times per day equal to its master’s veilweaving level.
    Looks like these things are still outstanding from the pasted stats:
    • CMB should still be +2, unless I'm missing something: +1 BAB, +3 DEX, -2 Tiny
    • Either Fly or Stealth is off, or there's an unused skill rank(4 of 5 used). The racial +4 to Stealth is absent from the original, so without ranks it should have Fly +15(+8 perfect, +4 tiny, +3 dex) and Stealth +11(+8 tiny, +3 dex).

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks like these things are still outstanding from the pasted stats:
    • CMB should still be +2, unless I'm missing something: +1 BAB, +3 DEX, -2 Tiny
    • Either Fly or Stealth is off, or there's an unused skill rank(4 of 5 used). The racial +4 to Stealth is absent from the original, so without ranks it should have Fly +15(+8 perfect, +4 tiny, +3 dex) and Stealth +11(+8 tiny, +3 dex).
    Updated accordingly above and in a resource doc for Christen (and made some notes to double-check the HeroLab parameters and see what's throwing a wrench in the works).

8. - Top - End - #278

Chimera

A question! Can the benefits of an enigma be applied to combat maneuvers (grapple, trip, etc.)?
    Also!
    Can the Shadowed Reach Enigma (very situational, but I like it) stack with the Grasping Black's Shoulder chakra bind? by level 15 (when you can get the shoulder bind) it shouldn't matter anyway, but I thought I'd still ask.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Seems legit as far as I can tell, provided you still meet the other conditions (targeted veil effect or attack action, valid target, etc.). I don’t see why the two reach increases wouldn’t stack either.

10. - Top - End - #280

Chimera

to clarify what I mean when I ask "Can the benefits of an enigma be applied to combat maneuvers (grapple, trip, etc.)?":
    could Inescapable Doom or Shadowed Reach be activated when you, say, grapple an enemy that otherwise meets the requirements for an enigma?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Air0r View Post
    A question! Can the benefits of an enigma be applied to combat maneuvers (grapple, trip, etc.)?
    Yes, as long as all other conditions are also met.

Can the Shadowed Reach Enigma (very situational, but I like it) stack with the Grasping Black's Shoulder chakra bind? by level 15 (when you can get the shoulder bind) it shouldn't matter anyway, but I thought I'd still ask.
    Yes, the reach increases from the two abilities stack.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

How does the Eclipse (and their veils) measure up compared to a Spheres of Power caster heavily investing in the Dark Sphere? Especially with the new Dark Apocrypha Talents out now.

I guess the fairest comparison would probably be a Nocturnal Predator Shifter, since they have the same HD, BAB & saves as the Eclipse, plus the Nocturnal Predator gets full caster level with the Dark Sphere.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    How does the Eclipse (and their veils) measure up compared to a Spheres of Power caster heavily investing in the Dark Sphere? Especially with the new Dark Apocrypha Talents out now.

I guess the fairest comparison would probably be a Nocturnal Predator Shifter, since they have the same HD, BAB & saves as the Eclipse, plus the Nocturnal Predator gets full caster level with the Dark Sphere.
    It depends a bit on what you're trying to do. The eclipse has a significant ability to rapidly affect lighting on a pretty broad area and has solid damage, debuffing, control, and mobility, but it's probably not going to be able to do some of the healing and such that the Dark sphere offers. An eclipse works really well in the same party as a Dark sphere user, but the more robust nature of veils means that it's hard to draw a point to point comparison without losing pieces of the picture. Compared to a Nocturnal Predator the eclipse is going to have better control and mobility, better debuffing, but lower top-end single target damage and fewer recovery options outside of playing a race that allows them to heal from negative energy or grabbing Shape Veil.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

It depends a bit on what you're trying to do. The eclipse has a significant ability to rapidly affect lighting on a pretty broad area and has solid damage, debuffing, control, and mobility, but it's probably not going to be able to do some of the healing and such that the Dark sphere offers. An eclipse works really well in the same party as a Dark sphere user, but the more robust nature of veils means that it's hard to draw a point to point comparison without losing pieces of the picture. Compared to a Nocturnal Predator the eclipse is going to have better control and mobility, better debuffing, but lower top-end single target damage and fewer recovery options outside of playing a race that allows them to heal from negative energy or grabbing Shape Veil.
    Grabbing Shape Veil, huh? That makes me wonder, an Eclipse that uses feats to gain Spherecasting vs a Nocturnal Predator that uses it's feats to gain Veilweaving, which has the better time of things?

EDIT: I guess I'll answer my own question, and probably say the Eclipse. Gaining access to Spheres via feats is WAY easier than gaining access to veils, since you have to spend feats to gain veils, AND feats to gain the essence to use them adequately. Furthermore, spending feats on Spheres makes you as good as any Low Caster at casting (better even, than the Sphere Paladin and Sphere Ranger, unfortunately). But even if you spend all the feats you ahve on Veils, you generally never reach the same level as any Veilweaver, since they gain Increased Essence Capacity (or something similar, where the Daevic is concerned).

So an Eclipse with Spheres might be the way to go.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2018-04-27 at 11:27 AM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Woke up to a pretty cool announcement I thought I'd share. Lost Spheres has released The Zodiac, a new akashic class that acts as a kind of combination binder/summoner. The zodiac gains the ability to summon the power of the constellations, gaining powerful allies or unique equipment.
    There's also several new veils and akashic feats included in this release along with some archetypes, so it's a pretty robust little supplement.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2018-05-18 at 04:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Woke up to a pretty cool announcement I thought I'd share. Lost Spheres has released The Zodiac, a new akashic class that acts as a kind of combination binder/summoner. The zodiac gains the ability to summon the power of the constellations, gaining powerful allies or unique equipment.
    I won't lie, between calling it a binder and the mention constellations, I thought this was crossing over with Radiance House's Pact Magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    I won't lie, between calling it a binder and the mention constellations, I thought this was crossing over with Radiance House's Pact Magic.
    There were some early thoughts in that regard, but basically we quickly realized that taking those two complex systems and mashing them together was going to be prohibitively complex, whereas we could just use the akashic subsystem to create a new take on the binder idea that would still be pretty accessible and usable by a wider audience.

18. - Top - End - #288

BlueKnightGuy

So if I am reading this right the only limit to the companions you have is the amount of essence you have? So a human could summon a doppleganger at level 1, and a Marid, sans wish, at level 3? I mean it no where close to the most broken thing i heard but it seems odd.

Orc Solars Zoodiacs look kinda nasty too (probably go archer with the trait for an orcish hornbow).

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrocloud View Post
    So if I am reading this right the only limit to the companions you have is the amount of essence you have? So a human could summon a doppleganger at level 1, and a Marid, sans wish, at level 3? I mean it no where close to the most broken thing i heard but it seems odd.

Orc Solars Zoodiacs look kinda nasty too (probably go archer with the trait for an orcish hornbow).
    You would need the 7 points of essence for the doppleganger or the 12 points for the marid (or 6/11 for a Lunar zodiac), which would be extremely difficult to pull off in a normal game at those levels, but the essence is what determines your ability to conjure the constellations, yes.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2018-05-18 at 08:37 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Firbolg in the Playground

I like the concept and will give the book a look. First thing I notice is the bookmarks seem bugged.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I like the concept and will give the book a look. First thing I notice is the bookmarks seem bugged.
    I'll let Christen know.

22. - Top - End - #292

NecromancerGuy

Bookmarks should now be fixed.

23. - Top - End - #293

Chimera

Shooting Stars veil seems strong at first. at level one, you can invest 1 point of essence and pull off 1d4 piecing and 2d6 elemental damage from one of the primary 5 elements. it feels like a lot early on, though that might just be me.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Air0r View Post
    Shooting Stars veil seems strong at first. at level one, you can invest 1 point of essence and pull off 1d4 piecing and 2d6 elemental damage from one of the primary 5 elements. it feels like a lot early on, though that might just be me.
    With the Hand Cannons dealing 2d6 B/P (2d6 multiplied on crit) and the Riven Darts dealing 2d4 force (2d4 multiplied on crit), the Shooting Stars should occupy a pretty solid middle ground by dealing 1d4 P +2d6 (energy type) (1d4 multiplied on crit). Against enemies like goblins and goblin dogs or other basic humanoids or animals they'll be strong and reliable, but against creatures with resistances they'll fall below the other two. As you level up all three veils will branch out along separate but basically equivalent curves where the Hand Cannons will be the best option on characters who've put feats into ranged combat, the Riven Darts will be best for reliably clearing out groups of weaker enemies, and the Shooting Stars will form a flexible and effective DPR option for characters who want to use their feats for expanding into a more diverse range of benefits and/or abilities instead of focusing on ranged combat.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

is it me or lunar zodiac kinda turns you to lucy heartafillia from fairy tail. since both lucy and lunar zodiac summon creatures from stellar realms. they both have power to wear their summons as armor( in lucys case deppending on spesific star cloth gains proper weapon as well) so care to enlighten us on idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

26. - Top - End - #296

Zombie

For the Zodiac release the example text for Celestial Lord only says 2 damage for having Archer and Lion shaped when it should be 4 by the rule text that is outside the parentheses.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by calyst View Post
    For the Zodiac release the example text for Celestial Lord only says 2 damage for having Archer and Lion shaped when it should be 4 by the rule text that is outside the parentheses.
    The text is correct as written. The bonus damage is for each additional constellation; you don't get bonus damage if you only have a single creature of that element type. In the example there are two fire element constellations present so you gain 2 points of bonus fire damage. However, Celestial Ruler is incorrect because it should be 2 points of fire and 2 points of electricity (not 4), so I'll mention that to Christen.
    Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    is it me or lunar zodiac kinda turns you to lucy heartafillia from fairy tail. since both lucy and lunar zodiac summon creatures from stellar realms. they both have power to wear their summons as armor( in lucys case deppending on spesific star cloth gains proper weapon as well) so care to enlighten us on idea.
    I wasn't intentionally channeling Lucy during initial design, but there were a lot of "Open Gate of the Water Bearer!" type quotes during playtest games, so the parallel is definitely there and you should be able to play a pretty solid celestial wizard with the Lunar zodiac if you wanted to.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2018-05-21 at 01:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298

Zombie

4th level lunar, with halfling fcb or extra essence feat from human makes it possible to summon a cr 9 marid and as long as its not killed its hp refreshes by leaving it gone for an hour. It shouldn't be possible to summon something that is twice+ your own level in CR. Need some kind of essence cap by level on what can be burned for a single constellation.
    Last edited by calyst; 2018-05-21 at 09:37 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299

NecromancerGuy

Regarding the Nexus, when adding their Planar Detonation damage to a weapon-like veil attack, is it only the base damage or can they take essence burn for the increased damage? Similarly, can the tier 2 abilities of the Convergences be activated during such attacks?
    "Across the rift of battle, a bridge of gossamer. And for one moment, it holds."

My Blog: Mostly random homebrew stuff, some assorted reviews, and a list of my published works.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

I would say it’s fine to take burn for increased damage, but not to combo with the Tier 2. Those involve such differing interactions with point of origin of different shapes that it would really have to be called out specifically.