New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: If you were turned into a monster, what monster whould you like to be turned intr

As long as D&D is on the table, I'm taking the whole concept of the paragon-X and applying it to humans. Technically a monster, in practice basically just a human who's the best at everything: What's not to like?
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: If you were turned into a monster, what monster whould you like to be turned intr

Something human shaped, if not all the time than most of the time, like a wrerewolf, vampire, or dulahan.

Y'know what? Screw those other two, dulahan!
    "A necromancer is just a really late healer."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: If you were turned intro a monter, what monster whould you like to be turned intr

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    A D&D world on the other hand has a lot more options. I'd probably go for a metallic dragon so I could have the awesomeness of dragonhood without being evil and thus a magnet for adventurers!
    I've played enough D&D to know that you want to stay far, far away from adventurers. I'd probably not even want to be a metallic dragon, simply because they still have huge amounts of wealth for those evil parties.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-08-28 at 12:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lol, is there any other answer but dragon?

But why limit yourself to the scope of d&d dragons? There are many types in mythology to choose from, from overgrown lizards/dinosaurs to literal God Spirits.

Anyway, in my personal lore what makes a dragon is:
    -Nigh immortality (or stupidly long lifespans)
    -Nigh invulnerability (few ways to die/suffer damage - usually only affected by magic)
    -Elemental affinity
    -Spiritual affinity
    -Magical affinity

And wings. Feathers or scales, I don't mind; since I would research a way to shapeshift early on. Then I will stablish my Thousand Years Empire on Earth. I always thought that if I were to have any superhuman ability, I would either become a martyr or a dictator. And since dragons can't die as easily...

Spoiler: A Brief History of my Despotic Shining Eternal Rule On Earth
    Show
    I will spend my first centuries humbly, studying and probably making my first attempts at forging alliances as a simple merchant. Then I will partake into heroics. Make a name of myself (or more accurately, many names) be a figure of hope, become an ideal. Once I have been established as a recognizable figure in most relevant societies, the pilgrimage and Evangelization will come into place. Teach them philosophy, make some apostles in my name. That way I will have the perfect seeds for my ascension to godhood, ie: showing my true colors. Then BAM! Theocratic Empire to rule them all.

But that's just the beginning. The real fun will be when I handle them my sacred text, which will be nothing but pure scientific research I been gathering my whole life. And they won't dare question my scientific method, for I am their God. Once humanity conquers the stars and I manage to eradicate their petty flaws as a species, I will find a nice cave in a Lonely Mountain, and rest forever. Probably not on Earth any more
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

God.

Lol okay, fine. A time dragon from DR359. Immortality, time travel, magic and well, being a dragon And you can get alternate form easily with that one feat from DoE.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Definitely a lamia. The non DND one, the actual classic one that every other thing in all of existence other than DND does. The snake.
    D&D has those too, actually. They just call them lamia nobles.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    As long as D&D is on the table, I'm taking the whole concept of the paragon-X and applying it to humans. Technically a monster, in practice basically just a human who's the best at everything: What's not to like?
    All the things a human simply can't do.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    Lol, is there any other answer but dragon?

But why limit yourself to the scope of d&d dragons? There are many types in mythology to choose from, from overgrown lizards/dinosaurs to literal God Spirits.

Anyway, in my personal lore what makes a dragon is:
    -Nigh immortality (or stupidly long lifespans)
    -Nigh invulnerability (few ways to die/suffer damage - usually only affected by magic)
    -Elemental affinity
    -Spiritual affinity
    -Magical affinity

And wings. Feathers or scales, I don't mind; since I would research a way to shapeshift early on. Then I will stablish my Thousand Years Empire on Earth. I always thought that if I were to have any superhuman ability, I would either become a martyr or a dictator. And since dragons can't die as easily...

Spoiler: A Brief History of my Despotic Shining Eternal Rule On Earth
    Show
    I will spend my first centuries humbly, studying and probably making my first attempts at forging alliances as a simple merchant. Then I will partake into heroics. Make a name of myself (or more accurately, many names) be a figure of hope, become an ideal. Once I have been established as a recognizable figure in most relevant societies, the pilgrimage and Evangelization will come into place. Teach them philosophy, make some apostles in my name. That way I will have the perfect seeds for my ascension to godhood, ie: showing my true colors. Then BAM! Theocratic Empire to rule them all.

But that's just the beginning. The real fun will be when I handle them my sacred text, which will be nothing but pure scientific research I been gathering my whole life. And they won't dare question my scientific method, for I am their God. Once humanity conquers the stars and I manage to eradicate their petty flaws as a species, I will find a nice cave in a Lonely Mountain, and rest forever. Probably not on Earth any more
    As far as I'm concerned, 3.5 dragons have infinite lifespans and just keep getting stronger as per the epic dragon rules. Also you forgot breath weapon. Dragons have breath weapons.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, 3.5 dragons have infinite lifespans and just keep getting stronger as per the epic dragon rules. Also you forgot breath weapon. Dragons have breath weapons.
    Oh, I really hope not. I went with 3.5 dragon, and I would prefer to have the opportunity to die from heart failure in my sleep or something rather than dependent on being violently injured or suicide or something to make my exit.

No objection to a long lifespan, but all things must end and I have no interest in immortality.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Oh, I really hope not. I went with 3.5 dragon, and I would prefer to have the opportunity to die from heart failure in my sleep or something rather than dependent on being violently injured or suicide or something to make my exit.

No objection to a long lifespan, but all things must end and I have no interest in immortality.
    According to D&D 3.5 rules, at least, it is ambiguous. Dying is one possibility but they could also become guardians of a geographical location or liches. And those are just possibilities in-universe scholars have identified. It's really up to any individual DM to decide what their dragons do when they get old, so you don't need to worry.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sexy, shoeless God of war.
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Karmea View Post
    God.

Lol okay, fine. A time dragon from DR359. Immortality, time travel, magic and well, being a dragon And you can get alternate form easily with that one feat from DoE.
    So, I imagine that being a being of great power is basically like playing a video game. It would be exceptionally easy to cheat, to open the debug console and solve all your problems forever, but if you want to actually enjoy the experience you're better off playing the game normally. It's not like you're in any real danger anyways, the god-power is right there if you ever need it, but the fun is in seeing how long you can go without.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    I was going with the most broader meaning of the word "dragon". Funny enough, I'm not too fond of the d&d definition of what makes a dragon. Not all dragons have specific breath weapons, even in European folklore isn't such a deterministic trait.

If anything, the only dragons with "breath weapon" I truly like are the ones from Skyrim, who basically use words of power. That's a neat twist from the common fire-breathing beast.
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

I'mma jump aboard the 3.5-era Dragon bandwagon.

I know, you all expected a Lawful Evil Outsider, but let me explain a few things.

One, several Dragons gain the Alternate Form ability, which means the ability to pass safely among mere mortals. As fun as it may be to lord my vast superiority over them, sometimes it's nice to not be a perpetual spectacle.

Two, flight. Worth expressing, but most Dragons gain the ability to fly under their own power, which is just legitimately awesome and great.

Three, Sorcerer casting. In addition to their SLAs, Dragons can learn and cast spells as a Sorcerer. So, you know, free spellcasting on top of all the other cool stuff.

Four, immortality with limits. See, various Outsiders can do all the stuff I just mentioned, but they are immortal in a pretty solid sense - even if you kill them, they will reform. Not so with Dragons, who - as has been mentioned - can age indefinitely, and grow indefinitely, but are not immune to death.

I would totally love my nigh-omnipotence, s'true. But if ever there came a day that I grew weary of this world, it would be good to know that it's a playground, not a prison. As an Outsider, I'd be stuck in the same cycle; as a Dragon, I would be in charge of my own fate, right up to the very end. And that's a liberating feeling.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Four, immortality with limits. See, various Outsiders can do all the stuff I just mentioned, but they are immortal in a pretty solid sense - even if you kill them, they will reform. Not so with Dragons, who - as has been mentioned - can age indefinitely, and grow indefinitely, but are not immune to death.

I would totally love my nigh-omnipotence, s'true. But if ever there came a day that I grew weary of this world, it would be good to know that it's a playground, not a prison. As an Outsider, I'd be stuck in the same cycle; as a Dragon, I would be in charge of my own fate, right up to the very end. And that's a liberating feeling.
    And honestly if the idea of death becomes problematic becoming a dracolich with direct access to your own body isn't a bad workaround play.

I'd be split between 3.x Dragon or the 2e era gemstone/semiprecious dragons (I mean honestly a day in the life of a 2e Amethyst or Amber dragon seems rather amazing)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

if non-D&D, a Saiyan. i loved Dragon Ball Z as a kid and being able to turn into a giant ape would be awesome, not to mention super saiyan abilities.

if in D&D, an Infernal Abomination (both from the epic level handbook). an Abomination is the deformed spawn of deities, and an Infernal is a 40 hd demon or devil. the only problem would be being evil, but maybe through being an Abomination i could twist my alignment around to neutral. chaotic neutral awesomeness, like Drizzit (meaning the being a rebel part), plus incredible sorcerous powers.

being deformed in your natural shape wouldn't be so bad if you could easily shapechange.
    check out my D&D-inspired video game, not done yet but you can listen to the soundtrack if you're bored: https://www.facebook.com/TheCityofScales/

my game's soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-77807407...les-soundtrack

my website with homebrew and stuff on it: http://garm230.wixsite.com/scales

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goodkill View Post
    if non-D&D, a Saiyan. i loved Dragon Ball Z as a kid and being able to turn into a giant ape would be awesome, not to mention super saiyan abilities.
    Nah, chief, you can do better than that! I mean, come on, think about it - you probably won't be Goku. So what does that mean? Well, if you're not an Elite, it means (1) a glaring and exploitable weakness (tail) and (2) a total lack of control while in Oozaru. Which basically makes you a target of national importance after your first full moon.

Second, Saiyans aren't naturally gifted with ki manipulation. They stole most of their tricks. Even Goku is basically the last of the main characters to learn how to fly - Piccolo masters it before he does, and pretty much everyone else is doing it while Goku is still riding the Nimbus. Goku has basically no unique techniques - even his signature, the Kamehameha, and his later signatures, the Kai-Oh Ken and Spirit Bomb, are taught to him.

So all that means that you'd probably just be an above-average fighter with a glaring weakness and no special tricks or techniques. Yes, you get explosively stronger whenever you almost die, but we live in a world without Senzu Beans, so good luck recovering from near-death.

Heck, you'd be better off as a Namekian. Regeneration, natural ki manipulation (including sensing and flight), no need to eat, and you live for a crazy long time. Pretty good deal, I'd say.

But no. There is only one Z race worthy of a thread like this, and that's Jinzoningen - artificial human, or as we know them around here, "Androids." First off, you look completely human, other than the creepy eyes, so nobody's gawking at you like a yokel because of your tail or antennae. Second, you enjoy the appearance and fitness of your physical peak - aside from Android 19, they were all pretty buff - and if 18 is any indication, they really don't seem to age. So, enjoy eternal youth and vigor. Third, if you choose the right series of Android (read: 17 and 18), you have an unlimited power supply. This is what allows the Androids to fight on par with a Super Saiyan - the fact that their unlimited power supply yields an unlimited supply of ki, preventing exhaustion and ensuring that they fight at their peak from beginning to end. Fourth, they're basically programmed with baseline ki techniques and combat training, so no need to find a teacher on that point - they can outperform your average Saiyan by default.

And fifth, still functionally human, so feel free to settle down and raise a family if you want. It works for 18 and Krillin, Earth's Mightiest Human.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Nah, chief, you can do better than that! I mean, come on, think about it - you probably won't be Goku. So what does that mean? Well, if you're not an Elite, it means (1) a glaring and exploitable weakness (tail) and (2) a total lack of control while in Oozaru. Which basically makes you a target of national importance after your first full moon.

Second, Saiyans aren't naturally gifted with ki manipulation. They stole most of their tricks. Even Goku is basically the last of the main characters to learn how to fly - Piccolo masters it before he does, and pretty much everyone else is doing it while Goku is still riding the Nimbus. Goku has basically no unique techniques - even his signature, the Kamehameha, and his later signatures, the Kai-Oh Ken and Spirit Bomb, are taught to him.

So all that means that you'd probably just be an above-average fighter with a glaring weakness and no special tricks or techniques. Yes, you get explosively stronger whenever you almost die, but we live in a world without Senzu Beans, so good luck recovering from near-death.

Heck, you'd be better off as a Namekian. Regeneration, natural ki manipulation (including sensing and flight), no need to eat, and you live for a crazy long time. Pretty good deal, I'd say.

But no. There is only one Z race worthy of a thread like this, and that's Jinzoningen - artificial human, or as we know them around here, "Androids." First off, you look completely human, other than the creepy eyes, so nobody's gawking at you like a yokel because of your tail or antennae. Second, you enjoy the appearance and fitness of your physical peak - aside from Android 19, they were all pretty buff - and if 18 is any indication, they really don't seem to age. So, enjoy eternal youth and vigor. Third, if you choose the right series of Android (read: 17 and 18), you have an unlimited power supply. This is what allows the Androids to fight on par with a Super Saiyan - the fact that their unlimited power supply yields an unlimited supply of ki, preventing exhaustion and ensuring that they fight at their peak from beginning to end. Fourth, they're basically programmed with baseline ki techniques and combat training, so no need to find a teacher on that point - they can outperform your average Saiyan by default.

And fifth, still functionally human, so feel free to settle down and raise a family if you want. It works for 18 and Krillin, Earth's Mightiest Human.
    I agree with you 100% the androids are organic so you are basically an eternally young and strong human, the only downside is that a huge monster may want to observe you thought his tail but hey maybe you are intro that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Shamash; 2017-08-29 at 07:12 PM.
    Shamash! The true sun god!

Praise the sun! \o/

I also have a DeviantArt now... Most are drafts of my D&D campaigns but if you want to take a look.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shamash View Post
    I agree with you 100% the androids are organic so you are basically an eternally young and strong human, the only downside is that a huge monster may want to observe you thought his tail but hey maybe you are intro that.
    Forgetting a key point - Androids have no ki signature, making them virtually impossible for certain other artificial lifeforms to track. Also, if you're becoming an Android in this world, there are no Saiyans, no Namekians, and definitely nobody from the Frost Planet - so there's no way to hybridize all of that DNA into an Imperfect Cell.

So, yeah. Pretty much no drawbacks whatsoever. And given that the Androids canonically stopped multiple Super Saiyans, nobody to stop you. Have fun with that.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Forgetting a key point - Androids have no ki signature, making them virtually impossible for certain other artificial lifeforms to track. Also, if you're becoming an Android in this world, there are no Saiyans, no Namekians, and definitely nobody from the Frost Planet - so there's no way to hybridize all of that DNA into an Imperfect Cell.

So, yeah. Pretty much no drawbacks whatsoever. And given that the Androids canonically stopped multiple Super Saiyans, nobody to stop you. Have fun with that.
    Wow, someone is a big Dragon ball fan ;p
    Shamash! The true sun god!

Praise the sun! \o/

I also have a DeviantArt now... Most are drafts of my D&D campaigns but if you want to take a look.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

you make some good points Red Fel. maybe combining concepts from multiple fantasy universes, a paragon Saiyan? lol. maybe from the olden days when super saiyan was not just a myth.

dragon ball has so many plot holes and inconsistencies ... but it's still fantastic imo. Akira Toriyama and the people who adapted the anime are/were geniuses.
    check out my D&D-inspired video game, not done yet but you can listen to the soundtrack if you're bored: https://www.facebook.com/TheCityofScales/

my game's soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-77807407...les-soundtrack

my website with homebrew and stuff on it: http://garm230.wixsite.com/scales

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Probably not terribly original, but a Dragon would seem the obvious. They can assume human form.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

An ... athlete.

Assuming I get to keep my own mind, then a fully human body with far more strength, speed, dexterity, and stamina than I've ever had sounds perfect.

[And the groupies seem like a good side benefit.]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Mr. Mxyzptlk. Does he count as a monster?
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

D&D monsters? I'd go with a Phasm. Shapeshifting is awesome.

Outside of D&D, probably something like a Jaegermonster from Girl Genius (Higgs-style, so as not to scare the neighbors).

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

I often ask this question to my friends and you can tell a lot about their personalities by their answer:

1- Shapeshifters: Normally they are people who have low self esteem and wanted to be able to be someone else.

2- Dragon: People who feel weak and want to have a power fantasy.

3- sex demons: Sexually repressed people or perves.

4- Imortal creatures: People who don't deal well with their own mortality.

5- Something else: Creative people with funny and witty ideas.

I would probably be a wind elemental or spirit, be able to be free and go anywhere.
    I'm a crooked man who lives a crooked life in a crooked house with my crooked family.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

I'd definitely go with a monster that can assume the shape of a human or at least isn't that far from looking like one. Some crazy powerful dragon or gargantuan monster is tempting, but you would be the only one, you wouldn't have companionship. But if I could be a doppleganger or something, I could maintain my lifestyle when I wanted, but also be whoever I felt like. I'd basically be Arya Stark.
    The camel has a single hump; The dromedary, two;
    Or else the other way around, I'm never sure. Are you?

I am a self proclaimed map maker.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Dromedary View Post
    I'd definitely go with a monster that can assume the shape of a human or at least isn't that far from looking like one. Some crazy powerful dragon or gargantuan monster is tempting, but you would be the only one, you wouldn't have companionship. But if I could be a doppleganger or something, I could maintain my lifestyle when I wanted, but also be whoever I felt like. I'd basically be Arya Stark.
    What's the fun in that? If you are a monster why live as a human? If we have to be a monster, BE A MONSTER! Mystique would be a more appropriate comparison since you won't have to kill anyone to assume their form
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    What's the fun in that? If you are a monster why live as a human? If we have to be a monster, BE A MONSTER! Mystique would be a more appropriate comparison since you won't have to kill anyone to assume their form
    I think there might be a few advantages to pretending to be human or being able to take on human form. I just don't think the local grocery store is going to sell a dragon potato chips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    I agree kind of in principle, but I went with Dragon so that in addition to my undersea castle, mountain retreat with flying range, and magical fun-times as a lizard, I could nookie with miraqariftsky or patrol the streets of my favorite city as a cat.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    I think there might be a few advantages to pretending to be human or being able to take on human form. I just don't think the local grocery store is going to sell a dragon potato chips.
    Just take it! You are a F-ing dragon!

Take their virgin daughter as well and maybe their gold.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-08-30 at 08:11 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"