The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Archon's Way of Wicked Campaign

Tommorrow i have a day off that isnt about recovering from exhaustion and dehydration. My next post will be then.
    Married 6 7 years! 7-29-12
    seriously? i kept this sig that long?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

*nods* Sounds good! I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to it!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Finally had a chance to take a look at the gold we collected from the prison. Figuring that there was enough time to split the gold while our characters were relaxing before the meeting with the Cardinal, then each of us are roughly 208 gp 8 sp and 9 cp richer.

4. - Top - End - #124

EvilClericGuy

Out of curiousity, did you include Grumblejack in you calculations?

5. - Top - End - #125

HalflingRogueGuy

Ah poop! Might not be healthy to leave an ogre out of the split, especially with the help he provided in the escape. Will recalculate.

EDIT: Split to include the big guy, it comes to 179gp and 5cp.
    Last edited by dathom; 2018-01-17 at 07:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126

EvilClericGuy

And now is the time to use it.

7. - Top - End - #127

BardGuy

Wait, did I miss that it was my turn? Crap. I was hoping to argue against it, before begrudgingly signing it for my safety. Or, if I was able to step out, and be alone in some way (doubtful) to Charm Person herself, if possible, before going back and signing it. A good chunk of her backstory is, after all, her trying to get out from under other people's thumbs, and be in charge of her own life for once.

Oh well, I see a few ways that He who is called the Cardinal Adrastus Thorn, High Priest of Asmodeus in Talingarde can void it. None of which can be taken advantage of for quite some time. Gail has learned from her mistakes, and can play the long game. She will assist him with his ambitions for now.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dathom View Post
    Finally had a chance to take a look at the gold we collected from the prison. Figuring that there was enough time to split the gold while our characters were relaxing before the meeting with the Cardinal, then each of us are roughly 208 gp 8 sp and 9 cp richer.
    While you were doing that, did you tally any sell-loot?
    Semper ludens.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Selling a chainshirt (50), a longbow (37.5), 4 noble outfits (150), and an alchemy kit (12,5), +179.05, +200= 629,05.

Breastplate 200
    MW Longspear 305

Other than a few incidentals like a backpack and bedroll, ready to go. Sheet re-post.
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2018-01-25 at 03:47 AM.
    Semper ludens.

10. - Top - End - #130

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    While you were doing that, did you tally any sell-loot?
    No, I did not. I just split the gold, silver, and copper that we found. Unless someone else will use it, Inigo will also sell his chain shirt for the added flexibility of studded leather, will put together a full list shortly.

11. - Top - End - #131

BardGuy

It is unlikely I will be able to sell the rare, first edition book without finding a seller first.
    Richter's spellbook, after having it checked for traps, I should also go through, see what spells are in it, possibly make some money on the side for selling access to a late wizard's arcane knowledge.

Selling the Whip (.5g), Wooden Heavy Shield (3.5g) and Longsword (7.5g) Peasent's clothes(.05g) (291.5g)

Buying more comfortable and useful clothes (Traveller's, 1g), a buckler(5g), and a Gladius (Proficiency granted by shortsword, 15g). As much as I would love to get rid of the heavy chain shirt, I don't have the dex to ac to back it up.

Also grabbing a spell component pouch(5g), fighter's kit (9g), offering the torches to others. (256.05g remaining)

Aside from that, I can't see anything I can really spend my money on at the moment. Not that I can carry any more. I should have used wis as my dump stat.

12. - Top - End - #132

X will sell his looted falchion and task the slave with buying a MW falchion.

Counting the 200g, + 179.05 (coin) + 37.5 (falchion) -375 = 41.55

41G
    5S
    5C

Is his remaining funds. I've updated the sheet accordingly.

13. - Top - End - #133

HalflingRogueGuy

Items purchased and SHEET updated.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, I feel like Gail and Mira are going to get along fairly well, then. I'm excited for the next part of this to kick off. Also, Archon, does Mira get the thing that Adrastus showed off to her?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Can Amber get the flag with black field and red start, which whispers to her in Infernal, identified?

Updated my sheet with some expenses, but unless somebody is willing to carry some of her things, such as her heavy coin, she'll be at medium load, slowing down to 20ft in general travel. Heavy things: Bedroll, watersack, rations, disguise kit, coins. Probably should sell the masterwork lute, because it is 3lb too, but it makes such an ideal part of a potential disguise!

16. - Top - End - #136

EvilClericGuy

Mira does get that thing that Thorn showed off to her.

Grumblejack might be willing to carry some items for the group with the time comes to move out again.

17. - Top - End - #137

If he's not, mules are cheap. It might be easier to convince him to not eat it than be our pack animal. XD

18. - Top - End - #138

BardGuy

Since I missed my chance at the RP during the signing, should I assume there was a small argument as I planned to do, with Thorn likely saying something along the lines of "sign or leave", but more politely?

19. - Top - End - #139

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire014 View Post
    Since I missed my chance at the RP during the signing, should I assume there was a small argument as I planned to do, with Thorn likely saying something along the lines of "sign or leave", but more politely?
    With the nature of our situation, I wouldn't be surprised if it was more sign or die. :p

On another note, I might change out the rapier for a weapon more aligned with his past profession, either keeping the short sword or even possibly taking martial weapon prof later to get a handax flavored as a meat cleaver.
    Last edited by dathom; 2018-01-27 at 01:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

BardGuy

He wouldn't outright say sign or die, as that would be coercion, therefore directly violating the free will part of the contract. Even retracting his protection if we wouldn't sign could be seen as coercion, as all parties are fully aware that the country would be on high alert (at the time, if not very soon, as stated after the signing) for the fugitives, and what would await them. It goes unsaid that it was less sign or leave, and more slavery or certain death. Of course, being someone who wouldn't want to void the contract before it was even signed (as seen by the lack of alcohol beforehand), he would likely go out of his way to avoid saying such things, even if indirectly.

21. - Top - End - #141

HalflingRogueGuy

Good to see others getting into the lawful evilness of this campaign. *evil grin* of course it wouldn't be out right spoken...I was just being a bit more direct in my language, seeing as how this is ooc and all

22. - Top - End - #142

BardGuy

You think that's lawful evil? *cracks knuckles*
    The First Loyalty is to their patron and god mighty Asmodeus, first among the fallen, prince of the nine hells, our father below. They shall do all that can be done to further his worship and his glory.
    It does not outright state that Asmodeus is my god, only that my first Loyalty is to my god, and then goes on a spiel about how great Asmodeus is.

My backstory puts me in a position within Mitra's church. A low position, but a position nonetheless. If that was documented, with the paperwork still on the books, AND not rescinded, then Gail legally cannot be forced to obey the Second Loyalty (Obey Cardinal Adrastus Thorn, High Priest of Asmodeus) or the Third Loyalty (his acolytes), as they are sworn enemies of Mitra. Gail, while greatly hating Mitra, and cursing his name, has not publicly denied or disavowed him. Yet.

Gail will look for such knowledge IC when she has the chance, and if she finds anything, she will use it. With the proper evidence in hand, perhaps it will take a sob story to the church, with an earnest vow and work for redemption (fat chance), all the while working behind the scenes to rid Talingarde of both its current government and its church. She might even get reparations strong-armed out of the government by the church, for her impression into the navy, and sentencing to Branderscar. After all, she was a slave to pirates for 40 years, its only natural that she'd want to stay as far away from those lawless heathens as possible. Of course, she would valiantly refuse to name any person or location she has interacted with, as she had signed a contract, and wouldn't dare to besmirch the name and reputation of the church and the Talingarde royalty with such an act. Perhaps, as part of her "redemption", she can assume a position to "redeem" others, the lesser criminals of Talingarde, giving herself a facade of light and generosity, while raising a dark army at the same time. Better put points in Perform(Act).

She would oh so maliciously abuse the contract in both spirit and letter to wrest power unto herself, and see her plans come into fruition. She would hold little to no ill will to those who were with her in Branderscar, they did get her out of a deadly situation. She would also have to go NPC for a time. She would secretly assist the signers of the contract, without being forced to obey it, The wording on it is very open to interpretation, as you can see. And when she has consolidated enough power, she would shatter the contract, starting with the person who introduced it.

Of course, this all expects that small, otherwise insignificant shred of evidence exists in the first place, and I'm sure that that would greatly derail the campaign in the long run.

As you can see, I've put a lot of thought into Gail's possible future. This isn't even half of it. I didn't even think about any of this until recently. Sorry for the lawyering, but this is a contract we're talking about.

EDIT: for the record, she has no qualms working for Asmodeus, his direct underlings, or alongside those who work for him, it all comes down to choice, which she has been denied her entire life.
    Last edited by Hellfire014; 2018-01-27 at 05:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143

EvilClericGuy

Ah the fun joys this doth presents. The main difficulty is that most fanatic of Mitrans would process it like this: "Pirate, deserter from navy, and prison escapee? To be redeemed you must confess your crimes, and submissively accept your execution and suffering as we slow hang you from the neck."

I will PM you where the weakest part of the contract is.

24. - Top - End - #144

BardGuy

Unfortunate, but expected. This country is overrun by ignorant, relentless fanatics who are little better than who they shun.

25. - Top - End - #145

EvilClericGuy

There is the possibility of finding one who will listen. But i think finding information about the status of your ordination and whether or not it is is still valid would be good start. Tiadora would be willing to assist.

To be able to pose as a church official and be able to honestly say you are a chirch official. . . Very useful for infiltrating.

26. - Top - End - #146

BardGuy

Anyway, back to the question that initiated all that:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire014 View Post

27. - Top - End - #147

EvilClericGuy

The Cardinal is open to negotiation. And he is of the option that once you sign your soul away, you will be freer than you have ever been in your life. He will listen to concerns and even make adjustments to the contract.

So no argument, but a discussion. Thorn stays polite and will act amused and impressed by your knowledge of religion and contracts.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

See you could just do what Mira did; View the contract as mostly invalid due to the nature of one of the parties as inherently untrustworthy. Contracts are based on honor and without honor, there can be no binding contract.

29. - Top - End - #149

BardGuy

Lets see, on one side we have a pyromaniac orc, a devil-spawn, a heretic who "dispensed justice" in the secrecy of a castle, a pirate, another heretic who publicly decried THE god of the country and fought with legitimate authority, and a serial killer who's business was feeding his victims to the homeless. On the other side, we have the high priest of a legitimate religion, whose only wrongdoing we can see is that he shares the same club tattoo. You're talking about us, right?

The problem is, I'm certain that the three things she has a problem with the contract is non-negotiable.

1) Loyalty to a god of his choosing, or a god loyal to said god of his choosing. (again, not entirely against Asmodeus, just removing choice)
    2) Thorn is their master. (She was a slave for 40 years, what did you expect)
    3, and most importantly) Perpetual Compact. No way out, unless it is somehow voided. Not that she mentions that last part in any way in the conversation.

Gail likely will see it as mostly invalid, and again, will play the long game. She will act on her ambitions when she feels she is strong enough to seize them outright.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

As I see it, offering to set someone loose without protection is technically not coercion - the best kind of coercion.
    Semper ludens.